• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

H . R . 2

there's something about SF characters that makes them slightly unrealistic, I can't seem to put my finger on it though. I guess its the anatomy of the faces. no matter how many changes are made, they essentially look like they all share the same genetic features as their FO ancestors

image_starfield-44912-4100_0004.jpg

Some more SF screens:
image_starfield-44912-4100_0007.jpg

image_starfield-44912-4100_0008.jpg

image_starfield-44912-4100_0006.jpg

image_starfield-44912-4100_0009.jpg

Some SWO screens:
(Ubisoft Bullshot ™)

image_star_wars_outlaws-44933-5183_0003.jpg

image_star_wars_outlaws-44933-5183_0002.jpg

image_star_wars_outlaws-44933-5183_0004.jpg

image_star_wars_outlaws-44933-5183_0006.jpg

image_star_wars_outlaws-44933-5183_0005.jpg

Last edited:
As I've already explained, the initial project was started elsewhere, before Naughty Dog took over the project and basically did it themselves. So, as far as Sony and Naughty Dog are concerned, Naughty Dog developed the entire game. The only outside help listed officially is Iron Galaxy, who came in at the tail end to help get the PC Port done. The Last of Us Part 1 is a Naughty Dog next-gen PS5 exclusive. I have no idea why this is suddenly a hot point.
This doesn’t make TLOU I the best visuals Naughty Dog can do on PS5…They did TLOU 2 on PS4 for godsakes. 1.84 TFLOPS…mechanical HDD and netbook CPUs…

ZehDon

Gold Member
This doesn’t make TLOU I the best visuals Naughty Dog can do on PS5…They did TLOU 2 on PS4 for godsakes. 1.84 TFLOPS…mechanical HDD and netbook CPUs…
... no one said it did? We're talking about graphical fidelity we can expect this generation. The poster I was discussing with was basically saying "ignore Naughty Dog's first two next-gen exclusives, their third next-gen exclusive (likely their last game on the hardware at the end of the console's life cycle) is what counts". Which is an insane amount of leeway and not given to literally any other developer in this thread. So, as I said: we've already seen Naughty Dog's next-gen: it looks a lot like their last gen.

Lethal01

Yeah im not seeing a clear jump over forbidden west/burning shores here...

There is definitely a jump, not a huge one though.
Again, when you are ranting about how lazy and incompetent Devepor A is but get blown away by something that's 10% better from Developer B it's hard to take seriously.

That said I think it looks like a fantastic showcase of the hardware.

Last edited:
... no one said it did? We're talking about graphical fidelity we can expect this generation. The poster I was discussing with was basically saying "ignore Naughty Dog's first two next-gen exclusives, their third next-gen exclusive (likely their last game on the hardware at the end of the console's life cycle) is what counts". Which is an insane amount of leeway and not given to literally any other developer in this thread. So, as I said: we've already seen Naughty Dog's next-gen: it looks a lot like their last gen.
You’ve seen PlayStation Studios Visual Arts studio Not Naughty Dogs true next gen title…

Lethal01

Here's what I'm expecting this Gen.

maybe if we are lucky we can get this with slightly better character rendering and good raytraced reflections.

;)

It was a joke by the developers. Basically their ray traced GI allows the light to bounce through plants and correctly illuminate the ground under it. Typically you would see plants just cast shadows under the leaves, but this new system allows the them to have plants that can let some light through.

I don't see how it was a joke, the lighting on the foliage was raytraced, thus raytraced foliage, think there was a tweet about it.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Burning Shores has clouds. Avatar has everything else.
Avatar looks like the multiplat version of Burning Shores.

I mean, this is not touching Burning Shores in anyway, at all. Character models look very last gen. Lighting looks flat. You compare this to Plainsong in HFW and its night and day.

Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_001.jpg

And lets not get confused... This is Ubisoft.

This is what the game looks like.. I think you're all running down a dangerous road getting too hyped for this thing.

H6xnHiJ.gif

You see this gif? You see those explosions? Yeah... Im not buying what they're showing.

You can never trust the company that put out the Watch Dogs 2012 demo and told us thats what to expect.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Thoughts? Anthony Vaccaro is a dev at Naughty Dog…

What's there to think about? he's saying you have to sacrifice things to hit 60fps, which is just a fact that nobody would question.

I suppose I could go on to say that 30fps caps will be there on the ps7 and probably the ps8 too, since you will never be unable to sacrifice framerate and resolution for other things.

Last edited:

I mean, this is not touching Burning Shores in anyway, at all. Character models look very last gen. Lighting looks flat. You compare this to Plainsong in HFW and its night and day.

Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_001.jpg

This is what the game looks like.. I think you're all running down a dangerous road getting too hyped for this thing.

H6xnHiJ.gif

You see this gif? You see those explosions? Yeah... Im not buying what they're showing.

You can never trust the company that put out the Watch Dogs 2012 demo and told us thats what to expect.
It wouldn’t be hard at all to find a single ugly gif from the glorified PS4 port known as horizon 2. You picked a gif where it looks like discount far cry. So yeah bad.

They had other *gameplay* shots you could’ve made into a gif that take horizon straight to school.

icerock

there's something about SF characters that makes them slightly unrealistic, I can't seem to put my finger on it though. I guess its the anatomy of the faces. no matter how many changes are made, they essentially look like they all share the same genetic features as their FO ancestors

Some more SF screens:

Some SWO screens:
(Ubisoft Bullshot ™)

People who think Starfield looks better than Horizon:FW need to tell us what sort of recreational drugs they are on.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

lol I dont understand how you can post a shitty screenshot and ignore the other screenshots posted by them.
Then claim its likely a bullshot and the game will get downgraded by Ubisoft.

Then post a gif of a game looking not too hot as proof that it will look bad come launch. Well, If you believe that the game looks like that gif from the gameplay trailer then surely you should believe the other gifs from that trailer.

If you believe that the game looks like shit based on that screenshot then surely you should give credence to the other screenshots released by ubisoft along with that screenshot.

Here are the other screenshots released by Ubisoft.

Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_003.jpg

Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_002.jpg

Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_004.jpg

Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_006.jpg

Here are screengrabs from the trailer.

HAGiI1i.jpg

jfY63sX.jpg

Here are gameplay gifs from the trailer. If you believe the shitty one with the last gen explosions then surely you should believe these incredible ones too, no?

5EiOpFS.gif

9kYnN4u.gif

jti0p1v.gif

MN9lwqo.gif

The lighting in that final shot is anything but flat. The way it illuminates the sky is downright gorgeous and day time haze done right. The 3rd gif is using indirect lighting to light up the entire forest under the trees.

Naughty Dog didn’t develop it alone, a secondary studio developed it mostly.

On top of that Last Of Us 1 remake was developed with improved tools they've used in Last Of Us 2 which is a last gen game.

Its essentially a Last Of Us 2 reskin with improvements to the tools for that game.

This is not developed from the ground up to utilise the PS5 to its fullest. Naughty Dog did the same when the PS4 generation started. They started that gen with a remake of the same game that ran on PS3. Maybe it was a project to get to grips with the new hardware (PS4) but what I'm seeing here is a pattern with Last Of Us 1 remake on PS5.

Seems to me it always starts with remakes before they move onto their AAA next gen titles.

OCASM

Banned
Western devs are in dire need of learning to use soft / lighting shadows. Star Wars Outlaws is so far the most next-gen game I've seen but it's brought down by using hard lights only, including during cutscenes. FFXVI is a mixed bag (sunlit scenes look almost high-end PS3 level) but some of the dusk/night cutscenes push the game into offline-CGI territory.

Vroadstar

Good fucking lord. What. The. Fuck.

OO9onNd.gif

This is like that fake Anthem demo in terms of shit going on. It looks so alive.

I meant to say tongue in cheek. at least thats how i remember that two year old tweet.
It's a Ubisoft game though, and I'm happy to be wrong when the game is in our hands and it will look exactly like this but with their history, yeah no.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Utterly surprised that some people are downplaying SW Outlaws. It is the most stunning slice of gameplay that I've ever seen.

As for the sub discussion of Avatar vs Horizon (specifically BS) there are instances where it looks noticeably better and noticeably worse. In summary, it's too early to tell. But I think the games are close enough aesthetically to have a fair comparison once avatar releases. Will be fun to revisit.

Utterly surprised that some people are downplaying SW Outlaws. It is the most stunning slice of gameplay that I've ever seen.

As for the sub discussion of Avatar vs Horizon (specifically BS) there are instances where it looks noticeably better and noticeably worse. In summary, it's too early to tell. But I think the games are close enough aesthetically to have a fair comparison once avatar releases. Will be fun to revisit.
Man I wish I had any interest what so ever in the Star Wars IP though. If this were any other franchise or better yet an original sci fi IP I’d be all over it but I just skimmed the gameplay and said “looks amazing but I won’t buy it”. It’s so next Gen though

But it’s the generic female protagonist with the generic blaster in the generic Star Wars video game verse. Anyways that’s off topic. Super hyped for avatar, starfield and fable.

Last edited:

Represent.

It wouldn’t be hard at all to find a single ugly gif from the glorified PS4 port known as horizon 2. You picked a gif where it looks like discount far cry. So yeah bad.

They had other *gameplay* shots you could’ve made into a gif that take horizon straight to school.

If its in their own trailer, its fair use. If they use it to sell the game, its fair use.

But ok, I'll pick the better looking gifs.

These aren't exact comparisons, but close enough.

Avatar on top, Horizon below for every comparison.
H6T9CBV.gif

H6T9nEB.gif

MN9lwqo.gif

3.gif

XFA98FH.gif

ezgif-4-f6fffcf243.gif

This video isnt even from Burning Shores, its from the OG Game. Still punches up.

And then in Horizon you have an entire underwater world to explore also that looks just as amazing.

Not to mention incredible Lava
ezgif-2-b0fc8eee8d.gif

Semi Destructible environments (Trees, small structures, etc)

Vastly superior character models and animation.

And certain "small details" in the game just are on another level.

HUjdnSe.gif

NOT to mention, Horizon also has by far, the most detailed enemy character models in a game (the machines are rendered with an INCREDIBLE amount of detail)

The NPC's look better than most games main characters.

How is Avatar better? What are you guys talking about lol.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

A bit unfair to compare a gif of avatar rendering an entire open world while horizon renders in cloud.

Here is what Horizon looks like when you are flying in the air. I literally just took these shots because I thought I was going insane. These screenshots dont even capture that LOD pop in which is so bad there was LOD pop-in every 3-5 seconds and not just in the distance, but also nearby. At really slow gliding speeds. We have been discussing the bad pop-in in Burning Shores these past couple of months. Even chiefDada agreed it was really bad.

Fyjc5DFXsAIi3sF

FyjcrQDXoAY1muX

The fog fades at night and you can see things clearly.
Nope, it doesnt. just checked.

Day time:
Fyjcsj0WAAIrpWC

Night Time:
Fyjc56JWYAEGj1b

And its not a creative choice. The are just unable to render certain kinds of detail. Represent brought up plainsong settlement which indeed looks amazing. Probably the best graphics in the game, but go to any other settlement and you will see visuals like these. There is no fog here. It's just lacking detail. Plainsong has that detail, but the rest of the settlements dont. Probably has to do with how plainsong is in your face and very narrow and likely doesnt hit the vram much where as the rest of these settlements have large open urban areas that their rendering engine thats designed to maximize foliage rendering probably cant handle.

FyjcrxyXoAYVOq5

FMOkGR5WUAckE6J

Point is Horizon has a lot of room for improvement. Yes, it is currently the best looking game on the market, but not for long.

P.S look at the lack of indirect lighting on those buildings in the first screenshot. yes, they are behind the sun but the buildings dont lose all their detail just because the sun is behind them. I grew up in NY and the skyscrapers dont turn into dark shadows during mid day.

Last edited:
If its in their own trailer, its fair use. If they use it to sell the game, its fair use.

H6T9CBV.gif

H6T9nEB.gif

MN9lwqo.gif

3.gif

XFA98FH.gif

ezgif-4-f6fffcf243.gif

This video isnt even from Burning Shores, its from the OG Game. Still punches up.

And then in Horizon you have an entire underwater world to explore also that looks just as amazing.

ezgif-2-b0fc8eee8d.gif

And certain elements in the game just are on another level.

HUjdnSe.gif

I guess we just disagree on a more subjective level cause the horse going through the river and the foliage in that last gif just embarrass horizon to my eyes.

Represent.

I guess we just disagree on a more subjective level cause the horse going through the river and the foliage in that last gif just embarrass horizon to my eyes.
I took an hour to find these gifs and you dismiss me with a calm, level headed sentence!?!

Boy bye.

I guess we just disagree. Avatar still looks dope I just think Burning Shores has yet to be topped this gen.

Neo_game

Phantom liberty obviously looks ridiculous in night time as expected. But apart from it Outlaws was the most impressive demo IMO.

Others were also good but in engine, cinematic trailer with some gameplay, bullshots, these things do not excite me anymore.

SlimySnake

Alex Battlestar System Warrior trying to shit on the PC footage gets schooled by Avatar developers.

Very smart decisions by these devs. They are using RTGI and RT Reflections on PS5 but they dont exclusively rely on it and try to find performance gains where they can fake it.

CGNoire

Yeah, I'm not seeing the wow factor with that game in almost any sense.

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly up to par in terms of environmental geometry, but textures are far from groundbreaking and character models are just about up to par and not much else.

Animations are stiff and contextual animation systems are painfully simple. Environments are just as, if not more static than the top end of last gen.
Yah After watching it on a Big Screen Im starting to come back down to earth with my opinione on it. In my defense I have a huge hard on for this aesthetic.

It looked far more average than on a cell phone. This being a vertical slice you would expect it to be as polished as is possible. In other words the best its "ever" gonna look and yet its littered with serious Lod issues and the graphics during gameplay are pretty downgraded from the cutscenes still. What is it about devs turning off self shadowing during gameplay still when it was standard on every goddamm UE3 title a decade ago? It honestly looked a little too close to previous generation graphics alot of the time. Listen its not like you can tell a whole bunch about its overall scale and of course if it can keep that vertical slice quality along with that huge scale thats note worthy but part of me cant quite scratch the feeling that what where seeing here is very similar to cross gen games like HFW which to me means mostly a Massive Budget increase and less a technical marvel.

Speaking of scale all the shots of the planet locals they montage at the end of the video seem good looking but also claustrophobic which if true make it far less technicaly impressive.

In fairness there doesnt seem to be a high bitrate version available online. Like at best its 720p quality making judging texture work nigh impossible.

Last edited:

Edder1

I suppose I could go on to say that 30fps caps will be there on the ps7 and probably the ps8 too, since you will never be unable to sacrifice framerate and resolution for other things.
Hard disagree. While we don't know what will happen in future, I think it's a safe bet that next gen consoles will have machine learning and enough advancement in CPU to at the very least have 60fps option in every game. All you have to do is upscale from 1080p60 to 4K and you will have 4K60 as an option. At worst you should get 1440p60 as an option. You can't tell me next gen consoles won't be able do 1080p60 internally or 800-900p60 to upscale to 1440p. We already seeing 60fps option in many games this gen. Now think back to last gen and 60 FPS was a pipe dream in anything that wasn't a shooter, fighting or sports game.

Last edited:

Avatar on top, Horizon below for every comparison.
H6T9CBV.gif

H6T9nEB.gif

MN9lwqo.gif

3.gif

XFA98FH.gif

ezgif-4-f6fffcf243.gif

ezgif-2-b0fc8eee8d.gif

And certain "small details" in the game just are on another level.

HUjdnSe.gif

NOT to mention, Horizon also has by far, the most detailed enemy character models in a game (the machines are rendered with an INCREDIBLE amount of detail)

The NPC's look better than most games main characters.

How is Avatar better? What are you guys talking about lol.

Actually I'm in agreement, I thought the environments in Avatar were actually similar to Horizon but the character models are probably better in Horizon.

CGNoire

Some more SF screens:

Some SWO screens:
(Ubisoft Bullshot ™)

If the gameplay in SWO actually looked like the cutscenes with self shadowing turned on and better lighting it would look more next gen. As it is it still has a firm footing in PS4 territory but with what looks like a really high budget....could be just the vetical slice budget...we will see.

That being said it looks very pretty reguardless. Looking foward to it.

Last edited:

CGNoire

not initially but the climb up to space and the jaw dropping space structures to going straight FTL into another system was very impressive for an AAA game with AAA graphics. Easy to do this shit with No Mans Sky, but this was a real game and it feels ambitious.

Also, this final bit looks absolutely amazing. Love the wind effects.

H6qmPHB.gif

Avatar and Fable look better imo.
Ive come around ....I agree.

Last edited:

daninthemix

Hard disagree. While we don't know what will happen in future, I think it's a safe bet that next gen consoles will have machine learning and enough advancement in CPU to at the very least have 60fps option in every game. All you have to do is upscale from 1080p60 to 4K and you will have 4K60 as an option. At worst you should get 1440p60 as an option. You can't tell me next gen consoles won't be able do 1080p60 internally or 800-900p60 to upscale to 1440p. We already seeing 60fps option in many games this gen. Now think back to last gen and 60 FPS was a pipe dream in anything that wasn't a shooter, fighting or sports game.
That's true if the system workload remains constant. But it won't, because developers are always advancing and pushing boundaries. That's why people thinking 60fps is some binary thing that once achieved, will be guaranteed for all games is very strange indeed.

You could release a MyConsole Pro Edition and for a year or two, all games do indeed run at 60. Then some pesky developers start to think "hmm, I could produce some lovely visuals if only I drop to 30fps" and the cycle continues. Then people clammer for a Pro Pro edition.

Top Bottom