• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

ChiefDada

Gold Member
this is next gen to you?

Yes. Proper current gen worthy especially as a day 1 launch game. It's a very impressive scene and you know it.

I'll remind you, you posted an Avatar gif with Nintendo Switch level graphics and showered it with praises. I mean look at it, this has to be the most unforgivable sin committed in this thread, and there are some doozies in here.

9kYnN4u.gif

Lol guys come on now…Norman Reedus looks the same in DS2? The difference just in texture quality is massive. Pretty sure they’re using metahuman tech with 3Lateral

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Spiderman 2 will probably have a native 4K at 30 fps and a (dynamic) native 1800p-1440p at 60 fps performance mode. Not upscaled 1080p.
Spiderman 2 drops as low as 1296p in the E3 demo.

Spiderman 2 is not going to run at 1080p and 20-30 fps. That comes at a cost, as you would expect.
See above. its somewhere between 1440p and 1080p. At least the Matrix demo averaged 1404p with rare drops to 1080p.

Their engine needs upgrading. plain and simple.

Robbinhood

Banned
I think I'm the only one that loves the look of Starfield, loves the look of Spidey 2 and loves the look of Avatar.

They are all highly impressive and will immerse the shit out of me.

I'm not going to shit on these games for not pushing some imaginary visual benchmark, I'm going to shit on the games that look mediocre or bad.
With that said, I'll stick up against the spidey slander especially when people try to tell me Starfield looks better.

starfield-screenshot-new-atlantis-1536x864.jpg

This ain't better than Spidey. This is impressive because its presumably one area in a massive game, but the levels aren't one massive area like Spidey. This doesn't look better than Shadowfall to me. Most levels are barren. The foliage heavy levels have poor alpha affects. If scale is why this is next gen, well Spidey has 4+ boroughs. How do you even compare Avatar which is all foliage to a city environment? Whats the closest thing to Spideys city, maybe Cyberpunk?

Anyway I'm more than happy with these games, my criticism comes from devs that haven't even showed up to the party or these next gen only games like Lies of P or Remnant 2 that look actually last gen. GT7 should also look way better even though its cross gen its meh.

SlimySnake

Lol guys come on now…Norman Reedus looks the same in DS2? The difference just in texture quality is massive. Pretty sure they’re using metahuman tech with 3Lateral
Yes, the trailer credits confirmed they are using metahuman tech but im not seeing this massive upgrade in texture quality.

ds_09_10-h_2019.jpg

ds2_01.jpg

Lea Seydox looks way better.

tumblr_psatevCphZ1s6ub5do6_500.gifv

ezgif-5-405e520f47.gif

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
um first of all yes. Hell yes. Like a Gen ahead. Take out the next Gen clouds from burning shores and you’re left with the same shiny cross Gen ps4 game as the base game.

Second of all it’s nonsense because you have a conspiracy theory that all 4 are somehow gonna look like N64 games when they launch so we can’t judge the real time in game footage we have of each of those 4? Please. Cmon.

And then you go on to postulate games we haven’t even seen yet. Games that aren’t even announced. I just don’t understand your premise man
If you think this

9kYnN4u.gif

looks "a gen ahead"

of this

ezgif-2-839cecd6a8.gif

FuO-HGaXwAAWcrk

FuO-Jv3WIAA6Lr8

Then I dont know what to tell you, Avatar objectively looks worse and is coming out 2 years after Burning Shores.

Dude sony is infamous for downgrades aswell, short memory uh?

Arguably motorstorm and kz2 are way worse downgrades than anything ever made by ubisoft.

You don't wanna start a downgrade list war between ubisoft and sony, believe me.

Your beloved tlou2 reveal trailer was a fucking joke.
Killzone was on the same level as Anthem, and Rainbow 6 as the biggest downgrades ever.

But looking back... they were simply CG trailers. We were just fucking stupid. CG trailers happen all the time.

Ubisoft will fake their actual game.... As in make non- CG trailers (Watch Dogs, Rainbow 6, Far Cry) and sell you a huge lie. They'll make a whole ass real time demo to pretend thats how the game looks, then the game drops and looks a whole gen worse. Give me the CG trailer instead.

Look man.

Heres what they sold us:

74gdolbr9tda1.gif

Heres what we get

giphy.gif

Look at the goddamn foliage downgrade. Look at the goddamn lighting downgrade. The dust. Its a brand new game. The Ubisoft special.

I dont know why or how you people have so much faith in UBISOFT lol.

They may have gotten better over the past 2 years, but the damage has been done. I simply dont trust them until the game is out. I dont know how anyone does.

Yes Sony does the same shit but their games in the end still hold up amongst the best of the best graphics wise. No one here can deny the quality output of Sony 1st Party games the past decade or so. Same cannot be said for Ubisoft. Their quality output is all over the fucking galaxy.

And the thing with TLOU 2 is yeah it got downgraded, but the final product was still easily the best looking game of the gen. Thats exactly what im talking about.

GymWolf

Gold Member
If you think this

9kYnN4u.gif

looks "a gen ahead"

of this

ezgif-2-839cecd6a8.gif

FuO-HGaXwAAWcrk

FuO-Jv3WIAA6Lr8

Then I dont know what to tell you, Avatar objectively looks worse and is coming out 2 years after Burning Shores.

Killzone was on the same level as Anthem, and Rainbow 6 as the biggest downgrades ever.

But looking back... they were simply CG trailers. We were just fucking stupid. CG trailers happen all the time.

Ubisoft will fake their actual game.... As in make non- CG trailers (Watch Dogs, Rainbow 6, Far Cry) and sell you a huge lie. They'll make a whole ass real time demo to pretend thats how the game looks, then the game drops and looks a whole gen worse. Give me the CG trailer instead.

Look man.

Heres what they sold us:

74gdolbr9tda1.gif

Heres what we get

giphy.gif

Look at the goddamn foliage downgrade. Look at the goddamn lighting downgrade. The dust. Its a brand new game. The Ubisoft special.

They may have gotten better over the past 2 years, but the damage has been done. I simply dont trust them until the game is out. I dont know how anyone does.

Yes Sony does the same shit but their games in the end still hold up amongst the best of the best graphics wise. No one here can deny the quality output of Sony 1st Party games the past decade or so. Same cannot be said for Ubisoft. Their quality output is all over the fucking galaxy.

And the thing with TLOU 2 is yeah it got downgraded, but the final product was still easily the best looking game of the gen. Thats exactly what im talking about.
It was not our fault, they presented the game that way to make you buy a ps3, that shit was on purpose like any ubisoft downgrade, don't kid yourself, it's not your job to know what a console is capable of, especially if you are just an excited kid.

And at least ubisoft doesn't make their ia look smarter than what it really is, usually they show the real ia, not the fake ass shit we saw in the tlou2 trailer.
And their games usually looks great, so it's not like they release graphical duds.

Think what you want but sony is as bad as ubi when it comes to downgrades, you are just too much of a sony fanboy to see it, no offense.

P.s. and no, nothing come close to kz2 and motorstorm, not anthem nor anything else.
Motorstorm would look incredible even today, this is how much of a bullshit trailer it was.

Last edited:
Yes, the trailer credits confirmed they are using metahuman tech but im not seeing this massive upgrade in texture quality.
Because those pictures are compressed to shit. Truly next gen leap if it doesn't get downgraded ofc, but Kojima is usually pretty good at showing us what we will ultimately get without much difference.

ds2_tga2022_screenshoi8ie7.png

ds2_tga2022_screensho2acs4.png

ds2_tga2022_screenshorvi29.png

texturecomparisonlaegi.png

SlimySnake

Because those pictures are compressed to shit. Truly next gen leap if it doesn't get downgraded ofc, but Kojima is usually pretty good at showing us what we will ultimately get without much difference.

ds2_tga2022_screenshoi8ie7.png

ds2_tga2022_screensho2acs4.png

ds2_tga2022_screenshorvi29.png

texturecomparisonlaegi.png
dude The Lea Seydox pics are from the same compressed source. Even in this comparison, his model doesnt look as good as her or the baby.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
If you think this

9kYnN4u.gif

looks "a gen ahead"

of this

ezgif-2-839cecd6a8.gif

FuO-HGaXwAAWcrk

FuO-Jv3WIAA6Lr8

Look man.

Heres what they sold us:

74gdolbr9tda1.gif

Heres what we get

giphy.gif

Different locations and different scenes. Also the first trailer is pc footage while the latest one is from a ps5 so big difference. Still need to see the game on pc to judge its best graphics.

Represent.

It was not our fault, they presented the game that way to make you buy a ps3, that shit was on purpose like any ubisoft downgrade, don't kid yourself, it's not your job to know what a console is capable of, especially if you are just an excited kid.

And at least ubisoft doesn't make their ia look smarter than what it really is, usually they show the real ia, not the fake ass shit we saw in the tlou2 trailer.
And their games usually looks great, so it's not like they release graphical duds.

Think what you want but sony is as bad as ubi when it comes to downgrades, you are just too much of a sony fanboy to see it, no offense.

P.s. and no, nothing come close to kz2 and motorstorm, not anthem nor anything else.
Motorstorm would look incredible even today, this is how much of a bullshit trailer it was.
Motorstorm was a literal CG trailer. Even I, at 15, knew that at the time lol.

But look we are comparing Sony practices from like 15 years ago to what Ubisoft does today.

74gdolbr9tda1.gif

to this

giphy.gif

And this

D5UJDAw.gif

to this shit (lmao at these PS2 ass explosions)

1FVlDAU.jpg

Is the Ubisoft special.

I ain't gonna let y'all convince me to be hyped for Avatar or Outlaws until I see real gameplay from actual Users. And I sure as shit aint gonna brand them "fantastic 4" until we actually play them. They have lost that right.

Downgrade your game. Fine. It happens. But upon release that game better hold up as one of the best looking of the gen. They dont.

All companies downgrade their stuff, its part of gaming. Ubisoft has just been really slimey about it.

GymWolf

Gold Member

But look we are comparing Sony practices from like 15 years ago to what Ubisoft does today.

74gdolbr9tda1.gif

to this

giphy.gif

And this

D5UJDAw.gif

1FVlDAU.jpg

Is the Ubisoft special.

I ain't gonna let y'all convince me to be hyped for Avatar or Outlaws until I see real gameplay from actual Users. And I sure as shit aint gonna brand them "fantastic 4" until we actually play them. They have lost that right.

Downgrade your game. Fine. It happens. But upon release that game better hold up as one of the best looking of the gen. They dont.

All companies downgrade their stuff, its part of gaming. Ubisoft has just been really slimey about it.
Downgrade happen in literally every sony big game, origins, odissey and valhalla look ike their reveal trailer at least.

I forgot the last sony reveal that didn't had a downgrade except maybe demons remake.

Bad still image trying to prove a point doesn't work with me friendo, let the game release and then we can talk.:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I don't think outlaws looks good enough to get a downgrade, maybe avatar.

Last edited:
If you think this

9kYnN4u.gif

looks "a gen ahead"

of this

ezgif-2-839cecd6a8.gif

FuO-HGaXwAAWcrk

FuO-Jv3WIAA6Lr8

Look man.

Heres what they sold us:

74gdolbr9tda1.gif

Heres what we get

giphy.gif

Baffled. You just helped my point

Edder1

Spiderman 2 will probably have a native 4K at 30 fps and a (dynamic) native 1800p-1440p at 60 fps performance mode. Not upscaled 1080p.
Incorrect. All recent Insomniac games use temporal injection, which is a form of upscaling. DF did pixel count on Spiderman 2 and it was dropping bellow 1400p in its internal resolution. Remember, that's 30fps mode, internal resolution for 60fps mode will be even lower, perhaps dipping below 1080p.

Last edited:

Represent.

Nah man. The scale of that gif. The gifs slimysnake put up yesterday.

Then these screenshots of a cute souped up PS4 game. The choice was clear to me
Insanity.

pwzB4Ik.gif

vs

giphy.gif

One looks like a Sony 1st party game. The other looks like a Ubisoft game.

By the end of today im going to put an end to this "Avatar > Burning Shores" nonsense lol

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I do feel like that’s the art style that Kojima wanted to go with
When you do a face scan in what is basically a hollywood game with famous actors, fidelity should be the prime object because the cast is half the reason why people buy your ups simulator.

To me they still look highly detailed puppets, people posted some screen of tlou remake and characters just look more real in there, even without metahuman tech.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

to this

giphy.gif

And this

D5UJDAw.gif

1FVlDAU.jpg

Is the Ubisoft special.

Wait a second, yesterday you were saying Avatar looks too good to be true but now its downgraded to oblivion? what?

Also, holy crap at those dishonest as fuck comparisons. Ubisoft had a similar flying shot in the trailer you conveniently ignored despite me posting it just last night.

74gdolbr9tda1.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Is it downgraded? yes. No one is denying that, but a massive downgrade? hell no. Especially when comparing the cutscenes with the ingame cutscenes they showed off two years ago.

The foliage still looks dense as fuck and just had its shading downgraded. They said, PCs will have their highest quality RTGI and shadows, and should look closer to the original reveal.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

The game features stunning lighting, insane draw distances, way more dense foliage and unlike GG and other sony studios, they showed off their game with actual PS5 footage of dozens of different areas in the game, not some bs vertical slice like the ones we are so used to seeing at E3 from Sony first party.

Represent.

Not if you keep this up because you’re doing a very poor job lol
Bruh

My mother who literally knows more about the surface of Mars than she does about video games could tell you the horizon gif looks way better lol.

Avatar does not look a gen ahead of burning shores. That is INSANE to think

SlimySnake

Downgrade happen in literally every sony big game, origins, odissey and valhalla look ike their reveal trailer at least.

I forgot the last sony reveal that didn't had a downgrade except maybe demons remake.

Bad still image trying to prove a point doesn't work with me friendo, let the game release and then we can talk.:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I don't think outlaws looks good enough to get a downgrade, maybe avatar.
DS remake was announced to have RT shadows that were quietly removed in the final game. The reveal trailer was all cutscenes or CG so its hard to say if the RT shadows were in there, but seeing as how the game was announced with RT shadows, they probably were in there. Ratchet on the other hand improved its RT reflection quality. One Sony game that improved after reveal though i do remember that one section that Benzy giffed that had lower GI bounce lighting in the final game.

Outlaws will get downgraded because unlike Avatar, it wasnt shown running on a PS5. It was running on PC with black bars to reduce the pixel budget even more. Likely on a 4090. A GPU 4-5x more powerful. Avatar is also in the polish stage like Spiderman so chances of a major downgrade are slim, and will likely be in resolution and some other visual effects settings you can easily turn up on PC. Where as Star Wars is likely 2 years away and is definitely getting downgraded on consoles, but PS5 Pro should be out by the time it comes out and it will look fairly decent on that. dont see PS5 running star wars at anything higher than 1080p since they seem to be boasting about some kind of wind physics in the latest behind the scenes video.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Bruh

My mother who literally knows more about the surface of Mars than she does about video games could tell you the horizon gif looks way better lol.

You are both insane if you think you are doing something more than splitting hairs with these 2 games, you get a slight edge because the game is not out yet so we only have ubisoft trailers to speak of.

Bruh

Well. Pack it up boys. Represents mom who knows more about mars than games says horizon 2 is better

Damn I thought I had ya but I’m just defeated now. They might as well cancel the new avatar game in light of this

DS remake was announced to have RT shadows that were quietly removed in the final game. The reveal trailer was all cutscenes or CG so its hard to say if the RT shadows were in there, but seeing as how the game was announced with RT shadows, they probably were in there. Ratchet on the other hand improved its RT reflection quality. One Sony game that improved after reveal though i do remember that one section that Benzy giffed that had lower GI bounce lighting in the final game.

Outlaws will get downgraded because unlike Avatar, it wasnt shown running on a PS5. It was running on PC with black bars to reduce the pixel budget even more. Likely on a 4090. A GPU 4-5x more powerful. Avatar is also in the polish stage like Spiderman so chances of a major downgrade are slim, and will likely be in resolution and some other visual effects settings you can easily turn up on PC. Where as Star Wars is likely 2 years away and is definitely getting downgraded on consoles, but PS5 Pro should be out by the time it comes out and it will look fairly decent on that. dont see PS5 running star wars at anything higher than 1080p since they seem to be boasting about some kind of wind physics in the latest behind the scenes video.
Interesting.

Avatar and Starfield are basically locked to look awesome but yeah Star Wars could get the ol Watch Dogs treatment.

What about fable? You think that’ll get a downgrade? They claimed every frame of that was running real time on XSX

GymWolf

Gold Member
Wait a second, yesterday you were saying Avatar looks too good to be true but now its downgraded to oblivion? what?

Also, holy crap at those dishonest as fuck comparisons. Ubisoft had a similar flying shot in the trailer you conveniently ignored despite me posting it just last night.

74gdolbr9tda1.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Is it downgraded? yes. No one is denying that, but a massive downgrade? hell no. Especially when comparing the cutscenes with the ingame cutscenes they showed off two years ago.

The foliage still looks dense as fuck and just had its shading downgraded. They said, PCs will have their highest quality RTGI and shadows, and should look closer to the original reveal.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

The game features stunning lighting, insane draw distances, way more dense foliage and unlike GG and other sony studios, they showed off their game with actual PS5 footage of dozens of different areas in the game, not some bs vertical slice like the ones we are so used to seeing at E3 from Sony first party.
I hope this thing plays aswell as it looks, but it is fucking ubisoft, so...

Different locations and different scenes. Also the first trailer is pc footage while the latest one is from a ps5 so big difference. Still need to see the game on pc to judge its best graphics.
Lmao

Not pc.

You guys overstimate too much what "PC" as capable of like the your home PC set is the same as the supercomputer of Pixar Studio equivalent to 20x 4090 attached together.

They simply didnt show you any game runnning in Real time in any plataform. Its justn a video, a CGI video.

SlimySnake

Well. Pack it up boys. Represents mom who knows more about mars than games says horizon 2 is better

Damn I thought I had ya but I’m just defeated now. They might as well cancel the new avatar game in light of this
ResetEraVetVIP ResetEraVetVIP Please change thread title to 'Graphical Fidelty Represent's Mom expects this gen.'

Interesting.

Avatar and Starfield are basically locked to look awesome but yeah Star Wars could get the ol Watch Dogs treatment.

What about fable? You think that’ll get a downgrade? They claimed every frame of that was running real time on XSX
Every game gets downgraded so yes, but it will still look better than every single cross gen games out there.

I think I'm the only one that loves the look of Starfield, loves the look of Spidey 2 and loves the look of Avatar.

They are all highly impressive and will immerse the shit out of me.

I'm not going to shit on these games for not pushing some imaginary visual benchmark, I'm going to shit on the games that look mediocre or bad.
With that said, I'll stick up against the spidey slander especially when people try to tell me Starfield looks better.

starfield-screenshot-new-atlantis-1536x864.jpg

This ain't better than Spidey. This is impressive because its presumably one area in a massive game, but the levels aren't one massive area like Spidey. This doesn't look better than Shadowfall to me. Most levels are barren. The foliage heavy levels have poor alpha affects. If scale is why this is next gen, well Spidey has 4+ boroughs. How do you even compare Avatar which is all foliage to a city environment? Whats the closest thing to Spideys city, maybe Cyberpunk?

Anyway I'm more than happy with these games, my criticism comes from devs that haven't even showed up to the party or these next gen only games like Lies of P or Remnant 2 that look actually last gen. GT7 should also look way better even though its cross gen its meh.
Thank you for the most reasonable post in here lately, literally all of these games look awesome and every one of them show signs of inconsistency also at the end of the day your display matters when playing these games I just fired up Rift Apart again last night on my new qd-oled and from what I remember it's way more vibrant than my lg oled so it's a completely different experience

Represent.

74gdolbr9tda1.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

The fact that we have so many gifs of the same game, and all of them vary in quality. Is all I need to know. The game is all over the place. Does it look next gen or does it look last gen? I don’t know. The gifs I posted are real and don’t look good. The ones you posted look great. So which is it? It’s Ubisoft. Im going with the lowest common denominator. It will probably be an inconsistent game like FF16. Amazing at times and hideous at times.

The point was if you can’t determine which of those 2 gifs I posted look better then you are delusional lol
but it is fucking ubisoft, so...
Exactly my sentiment…

Have you slept under a rock? because you definitely have missed the release of at least 2 GPU generations which both absolutely mob the floor with what the consoles bring to the table.....

You clearly didnt get my point.

It doesnt matter how much more advanced they for being a million dollars more expensive compared to a console, they are still weak to run at UBISOFT CGI level.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The fact that we have so many gifs of the same game, and all of them vary in quality. Is all I need to know. The game is all over the place. Does it look next gen or does it look last gen? I don’t know. The gifs I posted are real and don’t look good. The ones you posted look great. So which is it? It’s Ubisoft. Im going with the lowest common denominator. It will probably be an inconsistent game like FF16. Amazing at times and hideous at times.

The point was if you can’t determine which of those 2 gifs I posted look better then you are delusional lol

Exactly my sentiment…
To be fair, climbing and melee combat in the ac games is like 100x better and less clunky than climbing and melee fighting in forbidden west, it's not like guerrilla doesn't have some shit gameplay in their games.

I know that because i was one of the few stupid cunts who beated fw with a melee build...

SlimySnake

I hope this thing plays aswell as it looks, but it is fucking ubisoft, so...
Worse, it's Massive Studios. If you've played the Division series, you know how sterile it feels compared to even AC and Far Cry games. Hell, Division makes AC Unity and Origins (the two best AC games in last gen) feel like Sony first party games.

Best you can hope for is Far Cry gameplay without Far Cry comedic/satirical nonsense. They have nailed the world design so im hoping that just exploring the world is a better experience than Far Cry. But in terms of combat, storytelling and mission design, these guys just arent talented enough to pull off a goty caliber title.

P.S the latest video on Star Wars was kind of eye opening because a lot of directors and developers were from Lucas Film. This looks more like a partnership between Ubisoft and Lucas Film's gaming division than a straight up handoff like they did with EA's Star Wars Jedi Fallen order and Star Wars Battlefront games. Now that game might feel better than your typical ubisoft game.

Starfield was never in a contest for the best graphic, it has scope and some nice environment here and there, let's be real.

The fact that people are even comparing spidey 2 and starfield speaks volume on how underwhelming spidey 2 looks, not the opposite.
I disagree with you here like a Christian disagrees with an Atheist lol

Not looking to have a discourse with you on it either I just simply love SF and reject your statement but you feel differently and that’s cool. September is so close anyways and we’ll have our hands on it

alloush

74gdolbr9tda1.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

No idea how people think Avatar and HFW look alike, lol. Avatar looks better and it is noticeable. It's not like it barely looks better you have to bring in a microscope to see that. No, it looks noticeably better. Represent are putting them side by side in an attempt to downplay Avatar's graphics and at the same time showcase HFW's graphical prowess and it has comically backfired as Avatar looks better. Yes, not generations better but noticeably better nonetheless and this is after it got downgraded.

Cocaine is helluva drug!

GymWolf

Gold Member
Worse, it's Massive Studios. If you've played the Division series, you know how sterile it feels compared to even AC and Far Cry games. Hell, Division makes AC Unity and Origins (the two best AC games in last gen) feel like Sony first party games.

Best you can hope for is Far Cry gameplay without Far Cry comedic/satirical nonsense. They have nailed the world design so im hoping that just exploring the world is a better experience than Far Cry. But in terms of combat, storytelling and mission design, these guys just arent talented enough to pull off a goty caliber title.

P.S the latest video on Star Wars was kind of eye opening because a lot of directors and developers were from Lucas Film. This looks more like a partnership between Ubisoft and Lucas Film's gaming division than a straight up handoff like they did with EA's Star Wars Jedi Fallen order and Star Wars Battlefront games. Now that game might feel better than your typical ubisoft game.
What the fuck are you talking about, both division games are better than the ac or watch dogs or latest far cry games.

The narrative and charas are the worst ever seen but the actual shooting and ia were great.

The game should have been in third person, i hate first person in this one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom