• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Fair, I mean this is the best looking graphics on console. No backtracking at all. This looks near pre-rendered to me.

I think it looks terrific as I did the gameplay at the showcase, few issues here and there but the big improvement I'm seeing is in the environments. As an overall package though I'm seeing some subpar alpha effects, last gen character models and a last generation lighting engine.

Let's say for instance it's not Horizon forbidden west levels and obviously if it ends up looking like it does now when it releases Hellblade 2 is a generation ahead. 2024 IMO will have games that really are next gen looking but although impressive I'm not sure Spider-Man 2 is.

Fair, I mean this is the best looking graphics on console. No backtracking at all. This looks near pre-rendered to me.

Back to pretending cutscene graphics, real time or not, are representative of the actual game, are we? And even if they were...lol for moving the goalposts from "next gen" to " up there with the best(last gen) stuff we had so far"....
Not sure if I should post a Lou comparison which looks ridiculously better than this but is also absolutely not representative of the real game or just post the actual gameplay from SP2 which also looked..." Not next gen" ... Decisions decisions...
Keep on shilling.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Back to pretending cutscene graphics, real time or not, are representative of the actual game, are we?

I've always appreciated/valued real-time cutscenes, especially in story driven games. This thread is "Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen"; no exclusive qualifier for discussions to be about gameplay only. What exactly is your argument here?

What exactly is your argument here?
That's the question you should answer. We got to see gameplay which looked highly disappointing from a visual next gen expectations standpoint, then they release a cutscene trailer and you're acting as if that would somehow make up for how the actual gameplay, as far as we've seen it so far, looks... It's ridiculous how hard you're trying here based on nothing.

Last edited:

Edder1

That GIF looks like it could be from Miles Morales and nobody would think otherwise (except the fact that it's not taking place in winter of course). I mean we can all agree the game looks better than MM, but it's more of an upgrade you'd see on the same system when going from early gen to late gen, not a game on a whole different console.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
That's the question you should answer. We got to see gameplay which looked highly disappointing from a visual next gen expectations standpoint, then they release a cutscene trailer and you're acting as if that would somehow make up for how the actual gameplay, as far as we've seen it so far, looks... It's ridiculous how hard your trying here.

Lol, no. Why would you expect a large amount of gameplay from a story trailer? Sounds like a you problem.

People (myself included) were complaining about the cutscenes from the story trailer 2 months ago; difference being that I said quality would improve, while most (all?) of you in this thread said it wouldn't. I am now comparing story trailer cutscenes from the gameplay cutscenes shown 2 months ago. Are you up to speed now? Again, please don't make me pull receipts.

Lol, no. Why would you expect a large amount of gameplay from a story trailer? Sounds like a you problem.

People (myself included) were complaining about the cutscenes from the story trailer 2 months ago; difference being that I said quality would improve, while most (all?) of you in this thread said it wouldn't. I am now comparing story trailer cutscenes from the gameplay cutscenes shown 2 months ago. Are you up to speed now? Again, please don't make me pull receipts.
Nonsense....

setoman

With all due respect, this scene has no car traffic on bridge and streets and Major parts of buildings are cutoff due to aggressive culling. Not surprised because its for boasting the close up rendering for this marketing piece.

I'm sorry to tell you but even with this looking last gen, it won't even look like this in cutscene or gameplay at release.

spidermanscreenimg1.png

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
With all due respect, this scene has no car traffic on bridge and streets and Major parts of buildings are cutoff due to aggressive culling. Not surprised because its for boasting the close up rendering for this marketing piece.

That's not aggressive culling, that's a product of the game still being in development.

I'm sorry to tell you but even with this looking last gen, it won't even look like this in cutscene or gameplay at release.

spidermanscreenimg1.png

It will look better.

Not gonna lie this does look fire
Yeah dumpster fire. Haha no I’m kidding I’m kidding. It’s alright but Chiefdada saying the best graphics on console? Oh hell no.

It looks good. That’s it. Demon Souls and HZ2 already look better. And don’t even make me bring up the fantastic 4 of avatar, Star Wars, fable, starfield that just dunk on this from the international space station

Edder1

spidermanscreenimg1.png
Nice find, lol. That's straight up COVID traffic (or lack thereof) right there. This is how they sell you dreams with these cutscenes, before you snapped back to reality.

Last edited:

alloush

Yeah dumpster fire. Haha no I’m kidding I’m kidding. It’s alright but Chiefdada saying the best graphics on console? Oh hell no.

It looks good. That’s it. Demon Souls and HZ2 already look better. And don’t even make me bring up the fantastic 4 of avatar, Star Wars, fable, starfield that just dunk on this from the international space station
It aint best graphics for sure but that scene he posted looks really good. Might still be a cutscene mind you, and I think it is. But credit where credit is due.

Musilla

Starfield? 🤔

I like that frame

it seems to me that the City feels much more full, with more objects if that makes sense, and things are very detailed once you are on the ground

I think we will realize that the final game IS like the vídeo annoucement once we are playing it and moving peter/miles while walking on the streets under the same condicions (night with fog)
GiaRS1N.jpg

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Memory bandwidth says hello.

The WGP was designed in part so that RDNA 3 CUs would have access to more bandwidth by grouping 2 CUs for every WGP instead

Be real my guy, 3 months is only enough time to polish what you already have, not upgrade overall visuals and fidelity. You trying to sell people pie in the sky and doing yourself a major disservice.

3 months is an eternity in post production stage of game development. Insomniac had Miles Morales performance rt mode up and running in less than month.

Falc67

I wouldnt blame PCs for Sony studios not taking advantage of the IO and SSD. I just dont think anyone is going to design or redesign entire genres and their gaming philosophy just because cerny added all that IO stuff in the PS5 APU. Sony Devs just want to make cinematic games. No one is going out there to reinvent gaming. Definitely not Sony studios. Valve, Kojima, and Nintendo EAD are probably the only ones who would do something with it, and I doubt even they are thinking too much about it.

Ratchet used the SSD and IO stuff to the max and it can run on PC without an ssd. And thats a game designed around the ssd and the PS5 IO. Fact of the matter is that IO was never going to be this magic bullet that would change gaming forever. it didnt need a 30 minute section at the ps5 reveal. the GPU is still the most important thing in a console as we can see from some of the latest games.

Chief dada isnt the only one. the gaf thread, the era thread, and all of twitter is full of people claiming it looks next gen. he's just their representative in this thread. it is what it is.

In the Miles trailer, they were showing 'realtime' clips of him looking like this.

ZOlBWd7.gif

JXXNdX9.gif

I called out jstevenson on era about this and he got a bit defensive. but i let it slide because i figured its a ps4 game at heart and this is what i would get in the ps5 only sequel. Nope, this was clearly pre-rendered like those TLOU2 character models, otherwise they wouldve simply inserted this model in the ps5 only spider-man 2.

Either they have completely been lying to us for 3 years or this game is a PS4 game and they are hiding that until the day it launches on ps4.
That first gif of miles was in the game at the end. Was that not real time?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Jesus Christ Slimy it was real-time. That's why there is a difference in quality when running in fidelity vs performance modes, not to mention it runs with every different suit choice. Name one game that looks as good as it's best cutscene. In fact, Insomniac is arguably the best when it comes to gameplay vs cinematic quality.

Timestamped

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Jesus Christ Slimy it was real-time. That's why there is a difference in quality when running in fidelity vs performance modes, not to mention it runs with every different suit choice. Name one game that looks as good as it's best cutscene. In fact, Insomniac is arguably the best when it comes to gameplay vs cinematic quality.

Timestamped

Literally the next shot of his face with the full suit is way lower quality.

Robbinhood

Banned
No way starfield is part of a “big 4”.

Graphics are good, which is surprising from bethesda but characters are horrible and most of the environments are fog ridden and bland.

Spiderman 2 looks more than good enough, how good I dont know but ps4 cant run it that’s for sure. Its hard to compare it to anything there’s very little games running in a big city like this. Cant compare foliage heavy games to cities.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
That GIF looks like it could be from Miles Morales and nobody would think otherwise (except the fact that it's not taking place in winter of course). I mean we can all agree the game looks better than MM, but it's more of an upgrade you'd see on the same system when going from early gen to late gen, not a game on a whole different console.

That's the thing though, I don't think it's fair to label the PS5 version of Miles Morales as a PS4 game. Insomniac went beyond resolution/framerate boost with new asset materials, lighting, and ray-tracing; it's almost like Insomniac is being punished for developing native PS5 versions of SM Remastered and Miles Morales. People would probably appreciate the generational uplift more if there was never a PS4 version.

One of my favorite scenes in MM on PS5 is when Miles is accepted into the Underground. The emissive lighting filling the scene and bouncing off of Miles, the shadows that run across him as he walks by and the ray-traced reflections on the floor were incredible as I walked through. I would never imagine such fidelity on PS4. See timestamped videos below. Again it's possible you don't value the difference as much as myself and others do but when it comes to lighting, even the "smallest" changes are very impactful.

Compared to PS4 Pro version

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
If yall guys don't see the problems with the new trailer than you got some low expectations. Ofcourse there are some parts looking good in a trailer filled with cutscenes, but there are also lots of parts looking average while also been cutscene. Shit like this has no place in a PS5 only spiderman game after the brilliant PS4 Spiderman game and excellent cross gen MM on launch.

14.jpg

1.jpg

10.jpg

7.jpg

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
No way starfield is part of a “big 4”.

Graphics are good, which is surprising from bethesda but characters are horrible and most of the environments are fog ridden and bland.

Spiderman 2 looks more than good enough, how good I dont know but ps4 cant run it that’s for sure. Its hard to compare it to anything there’s very little games running in a big city like this. Cant compare foliage heavy games to cities.
There is no "Big 4". And none of them aren't even out yet. Lets see how they actually look on release.

Devs have been lying to our faces more blatantly than ever recently.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

That doesn't change the fact that the sequence in question was running in real-time, does it?
its possible that particular shot was pre-rendered. we see this in FF16 all the time. they switch out character models on a whim. i just found out that the entire water was pre-rendered during the boat chase sequence. but the rest was realtime.

if you look at that first trailer for Spiderman MIles, back when they were first pretending it was a PS5 only game, they show only two shots of miles. the one where he takes his mask off which is not in the game, and the second one which is a massive upgrade over what we got in the cutscenes and even in the sequel.

I wonder what is the avg age of people that think current graphics are mid, because games look absolutely ridiculous nowadays.
average age of gaffers is 33.5 according to evillore. and the thread you are in is not about whether or not last gen graphics are good enough, but what should be for this new generation of hardware. And no one, no matter what age, sex, ethnicity, would expect last gen graphics after spending $500 upgrading to a new gen hardware.

proandrad

its possible that particular shot was pre-rendered. we see this in FF16 all the time. they switch out character models on a whim. i just found out that the entire water was pre-rendered during the boat chase sequence. but the rest was realtime.

if you look at that first trailer for Spiderman MIles, back when they were first pretending it was a PS5 only game, they show only two shots of miles. the one where he takes his mask off which is not in the game, and the second one which is a massive upgrade over what we got in the cutscenes and even in the sequel.
You are comparing only screen shots and YouTube videos that are capped at 30 fps, and that is a disingenuous way to comparing ps5 graphics to ps4. Playing these games at high framerates on a VRR display is a massive jump from anything on ps4. Even the last of us part 2 with a simple fps patch makes the game look leagues better on a ps5 than a ps4 in motion.

proandrad

You can compare it to other games through YouTube and screenshots and it still looks like garbage.
Framerates play a large role on how a game looks visually and you can’t compare that in screenshot and YouTube video. These screenshots comparisons are trash.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

You are comparing only screen shots and YouTube videos that are capped at 30 fps, and that is a disingenuous way to comparing ps5 graphics to ps4. Playing these games at high framerates on a VRR display is a massive jump from anything on ps4. Even the last of us part 2 with a simple fps patch makes the game look leagues better on a ps5 than a ps4 in motion.
Not this youtube compression nonsense again. a next gen game will look next gen regardless of the youtube compression. Fable, Star Wars, Matrix, Avatar, and spiderman 2's original trailer look a generation ahead of what we are getting here. the fucking youtube compression capped at 30 fps did not effect the first spiderman 2 reveal trailer, did it?

absolute nonsense.
If yall guys don't see the problems with the new trailer than you got some low expectations. Ofcourse there are some parts looking good in a trailer filled with cutscenes, but there are also lots of parts looking average while also been cutscene. Shit like this has no place in a PS5 only spiderman game after the brilliant PS4 Spiderman game and excellent cross gen MM on launch.

14.jpg

1.jpg

10.jpg

7.jpg
my favorite part of this is them ignoring the first spiderman 2 teaser that looked a generation ahead of this shit.

proandrad

Not this youtube compression nonsense again. a next gen game will look next gen regardless of the youtube compression. Fable, Star Wars, Matrix, Avatar, and spiderman 2's original trailer look a generation ahead of what we are getting here. the fucking youtube compression capped at 30 fps did not effect the first spiderman 2 reveal trailer, did it?

absolute nonsense.

my favorite part of this is them ignoring the first spiderman 2 teaser that looked a generation ahead of this shit.
That matrix demo looked like a slideshow trash.

Edder1

Framerates play a large role on how a game looks visually and you can’t compare that in screenshot and YouTube video. These screenshots comparisons are trash.
Sounds like an excuse people make when the game they really like doesn't look impressive. A game will always be judged by screenshots and YouTube videos until it releases, saying we shouldn't judge it on those things is straight up ridiculous.

Last edited:

proandrad

Sounds like an excuse people make when the game they really like doesn't look impressive. A game will always be judged by screenshots and YouTube videos until it releases, saying we shouldn't judge it on those things is straight up ridiculous.
It’s not ridiculous because these are video games not photo games. People need to stop pretending framerates aren’t a major part of the graphical presentation.

14.jpg

1.jpg

10.jpg

7.jpg
Forgot Harry who looks pretty bad too. Looks like a main character outta watch dogs 2014

Edder1

It’s not ridiculous because these are video games not photo games. People need to stop pretending framerates aren’t a major part of the graphical presentation.
You can see framerate in videos you know. You have to take your concern to Insomniac and not people here since they're the ones who chose to only show 30fps gameplay. I'm also not sure how framerate will improve visuals lol, sure things will look smoother, but fidelity will actually be worse in performance mode.

Last edited:

Edder1

the best scenes of Spiderman 2 would easily pass as nextgen for you guys if it was being developed by another Studio telling you that they are using ue5.

It Just need the ue5 logo
I think we've seen enough UE5 demos to know that Spiderman 2 looks disappointing in comparison. In fact UE5 demos are one of the main reasons why people are harsh on SM2, because we know what current gen can deliver and SM2 ain't it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom