• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

CGNoire

• The indoor aeeas of Starfield are definitely an improvement from what was shown before release, the lighting and the level of detail are impressive.

Im not convinced that the loading of the ship has to do with the usual loading of assets but most likely is used to Mask the pre calculating of GI during loading.
The GI inside the ship inparticularly since first reveal has looked vastly superior to the outside GI.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Engines got so complicated that a lot of software houses lost track of the inner works I think. Starting from scratch is difficult due to cost and time constraints, ia is still not good enough to help with real time graphics optimization, and still to make something similar to starfield theoretical scale you'll need an ad-hoc engine, the problem is the time you spend on an engine you don't spend making the game, and to make assets, systems and script you need to know the engine dynamics. Hw has really evolved while SW side we just brute forced our way with smoke and mirrors, we didn't optimize streaming assets we used better storage, etc... Anyway sorry for the rant, while waiting for the path tracing version without vaseline of graphic engines I think we'll only see real improvements with smaller scope games. As for starfield outside looks.. they need to redo the terrain part of the engine for sure, but other than that make something beautiful procedurally generated is very hard, and this is the ideal field to leverage Ai work.
I apreciate decima engine(or rather its improved iteration) used in Horizon FW and its expack even more, cant wait what Naughty Dog can bring to the table, and Sucker Punch too, thier gems were always a lookers, and somewhen late gen finally no x-gen GoW or maybe new IP from Santa Monica Studios ^^.
From xbox/pc ofc future call of duties in terms of single player campaign and ofc rockstar with gta6(their ceo mentioned fy2024 to be really big for them, so we should get hopefully proper official trailer soon, even if it gets delayed later on :p

GymWolf

Gold Member
Opinions after 4 hours of starfield, almost maxed out in 4k60, no fsr or dynamic res to ruin the good iq.

Indoors are pretty great, nice even texture work except for some things here and there, not the best textures, but even and cohesive.

Natural Outdoors...umm...pretty bad? Bad ground textures, bad rock textures, bad trees, bad vegetation, unimpressive.
I still have to visit the big city but from the footage it clearly doesn't look as good as night city from 3 years ago.

Characters go from great (not incredible) to meh, alien creatures are ok, faces look worse than killzone shadow fall, a ps4 launch game, third person animations are nice, the rest of the animations goes from inoffensive to dog shit.

This is as much nextgen as a pair of socks with cum crusties inside.

No major physics or destruction except the 13489438943938 sandwiches in your cargo bullshit and as predicted, the game does absolutely nothing nextgen gameplay wise unless you never played a game with zero g gravity like dead space or borderlands presequel (or ironically, a level of killzone shadow fall) and now we know that even the scope is gimped and full of smoke and mirrors.

Gym stay winning as usual.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Opinions after 4 hours of starfield, almost maxed out in 4k60, no fsr or dynamic res to ruin the good iq.

Indoors are pretty great, nice even texture work except for some things here and there, not the best textures, but even and cohesive.

Natural Outdoors...umm...pretty bad? Bad ground textures, bad rock textures, bad trees, bad vegetation, unimpressive.
I still have to visit the big city but from the footage it clearly doesn't look as good as night city from 3 years ago.

Characters go from great (not incredible) to meh, alien creatures are ok, faces look worse than killzone shadow fall, a ps4 launch game, third person animations are nice, the rest of the animations goes from inoffensive to dog shit.

No major physics or destruction except the 13489438943938 sandwiches in your cargo bullshit and as predicted, the game does absolutely nothing nextgen gameplay wise unless you never played a game with zero g gravity like dead space or borderlands presequel (or ironically, a level of killzone shadow fall) and now we know that even the scope is gimped and full of smoke and mirrors.

this game seems kinda boring? I mean, hogwarts is also "boring" but it's one my fav games this year. but this looks just boring.
And the fact that some of main characters looks like trash (SARAH) is really strange. And the loading int cities or houses is so skyrim...

Anyway, looks pretty ok. I think I will play it in 4 days when it gets to gamepass. I finished every single player bethesda RPG on release

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Im not convinced that the loading of the ship has to do with the usual loading of assets but most likely is used to Mask the pre calculating of GI during loading.
The GI inside the ship inparticularly since first reveal has looked vastly superior to the outside GI.
I thought they said the game has real-time gi.

GymWolf

Gold Member
this game seems kinda boring? I mean, hogwarts is also "boring" but it's one my fav games this year. but this looks just boring.
And the fact that some of main characters looks like trash (SARAH) is really strange. And the loading int cities or houses is so skyrim...

Anyway, looks pretty ok. I think I will play it in 4 days when it gets to gamepass. I finished every single player bethesda RPG on release
I'm too early to speak about fun factor.

For now, it's alright.

SlimySnake

I don’t disagree. I hope someone calls them out on the downgrade to the level of detail outdoors. It’s the biggest downgrade of the gen by far.

Indoors look stunning and honestly this is by far the most schizo games I’ve ever seen. In pretty much every aspect. For example, the game uses cpu multithreading better than any other game out there but they shipped with no hdr support and an awful black level raise in sdr.

There is no texture setting, no draw distance or terrain level of detail setting. Its like they downgraded the game for the series s and then shipped that version for everyone else on series x and PC. Vram requirements are shockingly low for an open world game. Even re4 pushes more vram and it’s a linear last Gen corridor shooter. Starfield tops out at 5-6 gb in line with the series s which has just 7.5 gb of total ram.

If digital foundry had any self respect they would be making a downgrade video right now and asking why the graphics settings feature zero level of detail settings. Coming from rdr2 which has five different settings just for draw distance, this is shocking stuff.

John is doing the Starfield DF video so I expect it to focus on the positives he doesn't usually ruffle feathers especially in his showcase videos but yeah I previously praised the vistas and was down on the interior but it completely flipped upon release and the summer showcase was obviously highly cherry picked

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
So space exploration is just picking planets on a menu....

No matter how much you fly, planets never get closer to you, its all an illusion.

What a disappointment. This is a last gen game through and through. There's nothing here that couldn't be done on a PS4/Pro.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

No matter how much you fly, planets never get closer to you, its all an illusion.

What a disappointment. This is a last gen game through and through. There's nothing here that couldn't be done on a PS4/Pro.

I don't see the issue.
Would it be really so fun to fly a sapce shit straight for 3 hours or walk on a desert for 3 hours?
no.

It is proibably good the game is not just about open world traversal forever. That would be boring

Lethal01

I don't see the issue.
Would it be really so fun to fly a sapce shit straight for 3 hours or walk on a desert for 3 hours?
no.

It is proibably good the game is not just about open world traversal forever. That would be boring
This is why No mans sky is superior

GymWolf

Gold Member
I have no problem whatsoever with that, but i'm not a spaceship gameplay afecionados in the slightest, so...

Musilla

The interiors and materials are of a surprisingly high level. Regarding the exterior, John has burned the photo mode and the DOF to try to say that they look very good, when in reality they are horrible.

PeteBull

I did see pc performance guides/vids and they clearly state there that starfield was made with 8gigs of vram cards in mind, even for 4k max settings(my guess here it is coz of xbox series s specs, that lacks vram for many games), hence we get no texture quality settings in pc version and textures vary from really amazing at times to outright awful at other times, here info about it timestamped

Xtib81

I don't see the issue.
no.

The same applies to any open world then. It would take hours or days IRL to go from Saint Denis to Valentine in rdr2 but it takes minutes in the game. Other games like Nms or Star citizen do it well, make it so it takes one minute to go from one planet to another for example.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I did see pc performance guides/vids and they clearly state there that starfield was made with 8gigs of vram cards in mind, even for 4k max settings(my guess here it is coz of xbox series s specs, that lacks vram for many games), hence we get no texture quality settings in pc version and textures vary from really amazing at times to outright awful at other times, here info about it timestamped

It wasnt made with 8 gig ram in mind because the game looked phenomenal just two months ago with insane level of detail outdoors. something happened between june and august.

Now its a 5GB game in the biggest city as you can see below. Basically a last gen game. Either that or their budget was the 7.5GB vram budget of the series s which has to store game logic and vram logic in its small 7.5 GB footprint.

There was nothing stopping them from adding higher LOD geometry, textures and draw distance settings on PC. just like how every modern game has this year with hogwarts, re4, and other cross gen games shipping with better LOD and textures on ps5, xsx and pc versions than series s. this game was designed with series s as a baseline and they purposefully downgraded every other version. versions they showed for two years as late as two months ago.
1E2eLFJ.jpg

In space, vram tops out at 2.9 GB. I cant believe i stanned for this game.

PeteBull

It wasnt made with 8 gig ram in mind because the game looked phenomenal just two months ago with insane level of detail outdoors. something happened between june and august.

Now its a 5GB game in the biggest city as you can see below. Basically a last gen game. Either that or their budget was the 7.5GB vram budget of the series s which has to store game logic and vram logic in its small 7.5 GB footprint.

There was nothing stopping them from adding higher LOD geometry, textures and draw distance settings on PC. just like how every modern game has this year with hogwarts, re4, and other cross gen games shipping with better LOD and textures on ps5, xsx and pc versions than series s. this game was designed with series s as a baseline and they purposefully downgraded every other version. versions they showed for two years as late as two months ago.
1E2eLFJ.jpg

In space, vram tops out at 2.9 GB. I cant believe i stanned for this game.
No graphical texture quality setting in pc port isnt good sign for AAA game, indeed, i would hope maybe in future remasters(skyrim got many of those) maybe we will get at least 4k texture pack or something akin to that?

The interiors and materials are of a surprisingly high level. Regarding the exterior, John has burned the photo mode and the DOF to try to say that they look very good, when in reality they are horrible.

John is a such a shill. I would go as far as to say he's an enemy to us real gamers. Imagine being in a position to actually make a difference with developers by bringing awareness that lying, downgrading, and being lazy AND lying about not being able to do 60 fps is wrong, but instead you consistently help these devs perpetuate their dishonesty and even help them in their marketing with fluff pieces!

John, the new guy and Richard are massive shills for AAA . Nobody should know better than those two when a dev has falsely advertised. Nobody knows better how much cross gen development has damaged games potential throughout the gen and yet his fluff pieces still only focus on the good things. Is it any wonder why John has had so many Twitter meltdowns? He knows deep down he has no integrity.

At least Alex is passionate about being a master race dork and actually makes videos calling out devs here and there. John and that new guy, the resident console analysts of DF have NEVER, NOT ONCE, stood up for console gamers and helped try to bring attention to the typical fuckery we have to deal with.

Thanks a lot DF. Btw NX Gamer is exactly the same way. These guys have caused more damage then anything else

Represent.

F Feel Like I'm On 42
She deleted her tweet. But Snaxan on YouTube. She’s a PlayStation content creator and has interviewed big guests in the past. But previews are coming soon based on her tweet

Last edited:

solidus12

John is a such a shill. I would go as far as to say he's an enemy to us real gamers. Imagine being in a position to actually make a difference with developers by bringing awareness that lying, downgrading, and being lazy AND lying about not being able to do 60 fps is wrong, but instead you consistently help these devs perpetuate their dishonesty and even help them in their marketing with fluff pieces!

John, the new guy and Richard are massive shills for AAA . Nobody should know better than those two when a dev has falsely advertised. Nobody knows better how much cross gen development has damaged games potential throughout the gen and yet his fluff pieces still only focus on the good things. Is it any wonder why John has had so many Twitter meltdowns? He knows deep down he has no integrity.

At least Alex is passionate about being a master race dork and actually makes videos calling out devs here and there. John and that new guy, the resident console analysts of DF have NEVER, NOT ONCE, stood up for console gamers and helped try to bring attention to the typical fuckery we have to deal with.

Thanks a lot DF. Btw NX Gamer is exactly the same way. These guys have caused more damage then anything else
It’s just that they can’t be too harsh on Xbox, or else they’ll lose their privileges. When John is reviewing a PlayStation game he offers fair and constructive criticism. When it’s an Xbox game they carefully choose their wordings.

charles8771

Look at Fallout 4 and 76 on PS4

shamoomoo

No Man's Skies was relatively seemly on last gen and Star Citizen too. The creation engine isn't that efficient for the game Bethesda Game Studio wanted to make,the should've used Cry engine 3 or ID tech 7.

Last edited:

mrqs

I cant believe i stanned for this game.

It's looking pretty nice on my X, but yeah, that's the worst-looking city in the game. Some places look better than others. Faces look quite good but a bit stiff.

Overall, I like the visuals very much, but there's nothing out of this world, and at times they can look pretty weird.

Bethesda had the best help possible, but they still can't make proper HDR and color mapping. The game looks super old with some Instagram-like overbrightening filters sometimes.

SimTourist

Is the biggest city in Starfield same as all other Bethesda games? 10 buildings and 20 npcs? This crusty old engine needs to go, not even SSR let alone RT anything, just 30 years old cubemaps, come on now. This game should be easily pushing 4k 60 fps on Series X with those graphics. Take a look at Killzone Shadowfall intro, it looks 2 generations ahead.

PeteBull

Gotta wait for next "next gen" game now, quite a few gonna launch in 2023 and 2024 so hope is still there, that we might get some goodies at least holiday 2024 with ps5pr0 launch, before that no idea :p

sinnergy

No Man's Skies was relatively seemly on last gen and Star Citizen too. The creation engine isn't that efficient for the game Bethesda Game Studio wanted to make,the should've used Cry engine 3 or ID tech 7.
That great no? Here on GAF we shit on UE5 and applause the use of own engine tech ;) not all engines are alike and excel in different things .

timothet

In situations like this, I really miss TotalBiscuit. He would rip Bethesda a new one.

PeteBull

Speaking of which, what happened to NX Gamer? This dude used to keep it real, he was hella honest in his reviews. I still like his analysis though!
He got a gig at ign, bro, his starfield vid is for ign too, he even didnt mention those loading pauses that DF mentioned(olivier mentioned it in his first vid, when discussing xbox series x/s performance timestamped here ).
John ofc ommited those 1s pauses in his vid when talking about xsx performance or rather, mentioned it so vaguelly w/o video evidence, that unless u look for it specifically no way u will guess its what its meant here, timespamped in johns vid , on top he has a gal to suggest xbox series x got enough headroom for performance mode at least in vrr range so 40-60fps =D

Represent.

And you think that a shill youtuber is not gonna ask the tamest fucking questions to them?

Oh my sweet summer represent...
She’s taking community questions only. Which is why I posted it here saying to flood her inbox with real questions lol

alloush

He got a gig at ign, bro, his starfield vid is for ign too, he even didnt mention those loading pauses that DF mentioned(olivier mentioned it in his first vid, when discussing xbox series x/s performance timestamped here ).
John ofc ommited those 1s pauses in his vid when talking about xsx performance or rather, mentioned it so vaguelly w/o video evidence, that unless u look for it specifically no way u will guess its what its meant here, timespamped in johns vid , on top he has a gal to suggest xbox series x got enough headroom for performance mode at least in vrr range so 40-60fps =D

Interesting, didn’t know any of that. Thanks for the info. Maybe that explains it why he has become a bit shady with his reviews.

SlimySnake

It's looking pretty nice on my X, but yeah, that's the worst-looking city in the game. Some places look better than others. Faces look quite good but a bit stiff.

Overall, I like the visuals very much, but there's nothing out of this world, and at times they can look pretty weird.

Bethesda had the best help possible, but they still can't make proper HDR and color mapping. The game looks super old with some Instagram-like overbrightening filters sometimes.
I took that screenshot to show the 5gb vram usage. That city looks pretty good compared to the open worlds where it looks worse than ps4 games.

SlimySnake

Nx gamer jumped the shark when he started getting consoles from publishers to do an early review.

Df taking a pic with Phil and todd a couple of days before their review went live was always a bad look. You are not going to trash a game after you meet its creator and pose with him for pics two days before launch.

Top Bottom