• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
meanwhile, I am still waiting patiently for this extremely intriguing UE5-powered game to finally come the f#ck out

Why are people waiting for this. This was never a game and never will be.
The guy ONLY made an animation. Thats not a game.
Edit: oh and the dev acts like a kid when you point that out in comments

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

This will probably never see the light of day , but as far as demos go this, similar to Unrecord,
is a great demonstration of what UE5 is capable of in the right hands, especially a team of passionate devs with a thirst for details

This is just UE5 animation too. Look at the ground truth image quality and animation

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Bethesda gonna Bethesda. They were never good at either graphics or tech. So I’m not surprised Starfield loads exactly like a last gen game. Faster, but just as frequent.
It looks pretty damn good at times. Way better than their last gen output. So they did update their graphics engine.

I just dont know why they didnt do anything about the constant loading. Why do they even need to load the interior of a ship? Its two rooms lol. how big can they be? 1GB? 2GB? Why cant they stream that in?

Musilla

Jesus
HyLjsuS.gif

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Looks like Sony state of play is coming soon. We should get some Spiderman deep dives, and some FF7 Rebirth footage.

I really want to see Silent Hill 2 again. It was last shown last year at a similar sony event i think and looked amazing. Im afraid its getting a downgrade.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Starfield interior and exterior seems was made up different teams. It can look really good in interior with nice lighting but exterior and some parts especially looks completely unfinished or done as a college or university project instead.
It looks pretty damn good at times. Way better than their last gen output. So they did update their graphics engine.

I just dont know why they didnt do anything about the constant loading. Why do they even need to load the interior of a ship? Its two rooms lol. how big can they be? 1GB? 2GB? Why cant they stream that in?
I have yet to see something impressive from Starfield tbh. Everything i saw today was average, even for its scale.

Lethal01

Absolutely it is better in every way. It you're talking about accuracy of lighting then you have a point, but unless you're using path tracing no game is doing accurate lighting.
Okay, any game with raytraced reflections has more accurate reflections than Space marine, metro exodus has more accurate GI too, demon's souls got better shadows, fornite has better GI, Reflections and shadows.

Saying "EVERTHING" means about as much as saying nothing at all, right now all attempts at praising the lighting have only been praising it's artistic/cinematographic direction with nothing about it on a technical level being any better.

I'm not saying some other game has 100% accurate lighting with no flaws, but I am saying that Warhammers lighting is not anything special or in another league than other games we have seen on console.

Same old shadows so low res that you can see the visible stair casing from 6 feet away

image.png

Same shadows being so innacurate that shadows don't attach to the characters feet
image.png

More lights so innacurate and totally shadowless, easily seen by looking at the characters literally glowing until you get close enough for the effect of the shadows to pop in

image.png

image.png

same lack of proper self shadowing which in this case is made even clearer by the effects of many point lights popping in and out of existence when they are further than 10feet, can also see it on the terminal
image.png
image.png

image.png

Would you look at that, characters glowing due to not having global illumination info and sticking out like a sore thumb and walls/glowing due to lights passing straight through objects and casting no shadow as well relying on an innacurate, low res, static cube map.
image.png
image.png

And ofcourse the same old screen space reflections

image.png

NO, the game's lighting is not "next gen in every way", infact it's behind even ratchet and clank or miles morales in areas.

I can so easily settle for "this game is doing lots of high quality things that despite the lighting not being anything special it's still next gen" but nah, people wanna act like it's doing literally everything better for some reason.

All of you guys need to apologize to Rofif:LOL:

Last edited:

Lethal01

Blah blah blah, it looks fucking great lol.
It does look great, with average lighting. that's totally fine.
But people aren't just saying "it looks great", they are saying "it's got better lighting that it's competition.
Dont' know why people wanna act like everything about it is better than other games just to compliment it.

Last edited:
Starfield doesn't look too hot...another lost "nextgen" bet from our Slimy?:messenger_winking_tongue:

It doesn't look anywhere near as good as you thought it would ..

Last edited:

Musilla

Seeing what is shown by several of the available reviews, Starfield has undergone an obvious downgrade in the graphics game compared to the video-presentation of a few months ago, vegetation, lighting, texturing...it's atrocious

Last edited:
Seeing what is shown by several of the available reviews, Starfield has undergone an obvious downgrade in the graphics game compared to the video-presentation of a few months ago, vegetation, lighting, texturing...
Had a similar thought. Doesn’t look quite as nice as the 45 min thing or the 15 min reveal from last year

I’m 30 minutes from my early access unlocking I’ll report in then

Seeing what is shown by several of the available reviews, Starfield has undergone an obvious downgrade in the graphics game compared to the video-presentation of a few months ago, vegetation, lighting, texturing...it's atrocious
Lol man did you edit that atrocious in after watching more gameplay of it on YouTube? Really not impressed huh?:/

It looks alright to me still. Inconsistent though. I’d imagine having to run on series S is a huge limitation

SlimySnake

It doesn't look anywhere near as good as you thought it would ..
Starfield doesn't look too hot...another lost "nextgen" bet from our Slimy?:messenger_winking_tongue:
Not my fault they downgraded the shit out of this from not just last year but from literally two months ago in their E3 showing.

What was shown at the time was gorgeous. Release is trash.

Indoor sections still look good though.

That said, this completely destroys my Avatar defense that its too late to downgrade it. If starfield can get downgraded 2 months before launch then avatar which releases 6 months after its e3 trailer is probably going to get downgraded twice. my only hope is that they showed PS5 footage whereas starfield was shown running on a PC this whole time. still, im sweating for avatar and space marine 2 now.

P.S Why wouldnt I call this next gen?
From E3 last year.

5JlaTVg.gif

IpEyFxe.gif

Last edited:

Neo_game

I also think the game has been downgraded. The game was struggling at 1296P 30fps but the presentation was more impressive. They changed it to 1440P and good 30fps game now but with downgrades.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I also think the game has been downgraded. The game was struggling at 1296P 30fps but the presentation was more impressive. They changed it to 1440P and good 30fps game now but with downgrades.
Keep in mind, it was running at 1296p on a PC 'emulating' the xsx specs. We all know the xsx does not behave like a 12 tflops rdna 2.0 gpu due to its split ram and awful wide and slow gpu capped at 1.8ghz when rdna 2.0 cards really thrive at higher clocks. So while they may have used a 12-13 tflops card like the 6700xt, the xsx was probably running at 1080p which is why they felt compelled to downgrade the whole fucking thing.

It could also be our first look at the Series S effect holding back not just the xsx but also the PC release. The addition of fog in that gif posted yesterday shouldve been our first red flag. there wasnt much of that in the gameplay reveal last year.

Musilla

Not my fault they downgraded the shit out of this from not just last year but from literally two months ago in their E3 showing.

What was shown at the time was gorgeous. Release is trash.

Indoor sections still look good though.

That said, this completely destroys my Avatar defense that its too late to downgrade it. If starfield can get downgraded 2 months before launch then avatar which releases 6 months after its e3 trailer is probably going to get downgraded twice. my only hope is that they showed PS5 footage whereas starfield was shown running on a PC this whole time. still, im sweating for avatar and space marine 2 now.

P.S Why wouldnt I call this next gen?
From E3 last year.

5JlaTVg.gif

IpEyFxe.gif
Spider-Man 2 is next 🤣

Edder1

Okay, any game with raytraced reflections has more accurate reflections than Space marine, metro exodus has more accurate GI too, demon's souls got better shadows, fornite has better GI, Reflections and shadows.

Saying "EVERTHING" means about as much as saying nothing at all, right now all attempts at praising the lighting have only been praising it's artistic/cinematographic direction with nothing about it on a technical level being any better.

I'm not saying some other game has 100% accurate lighting with no flaws, but I am saying that Warhammers lighting is not anything special or in another league than other games we have seen on console.

Same old shadows so low res that you can see the visible stair casing from 6 feet away

image.png

Same shadows being so innacurate that shadows don't attach to the characters feet
image.png

More lights so innacurate and totally shadowless, easily seen by looking at the characters literally glowing until you get close enough for the effect of the shadows to pop in

image.png

image.png

same lack of proper self shadowing which in this case is made even clearer by the effects of many point lights popping in and out of existence when they are further than 10feet, can also see it on the terminal
image.png
image.png

image.png

Would you look at that, characters glowing due to not having global illumination info and sticking out like a sore thumb and walls/glowing due to lights passing straight through objects and casting no shadow as well relying on an innacurate, low res, static cube map.
image.png
image.png

And ofcourse the same old screen space reflections

image.png

NO, the game's lighting is not "next gen in every way", infact it's behind even ratchet and clank or miles morales in areas.

I can so easily settle for "this game is doing lots of high quality things that despite the lighting not being anything special it's still next gen" but nah, people wanna act like it's doing literally everything better for some reason.

All of you guys need to apologize to Rofif:LOL:
At this point you're clutching at straws and nitpicking like crazy. All the games that you mentioned that do some things better than Space Marine 2 have issues of their ow. None of the games you mentioned are free from fault and definitely none simulate lighting perfectly. But the fact remains that Space Marine 2 looks better overall as a package.

I'm also a bit worried about someone who's going out of their way to discredit a game while bringing up other games that have plenty of issues of their own. This is starting to remind me of the time when Dada was trying to prove to us that Spiderman 2 is the best looking game to date.

Lethal01

It's pointless to keep this going

It's really so simple, Name me some specific things about the lighting that stands out, or stop pussy footing around the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about and just decided to go "looks pretty", must be technically impressive.

The question
"The game is impressive overall, but what is better about the lighting specifically"

You: Everything
You: it's a step up in every way
You: Lets just end this it's clearly pointless

It's pointless because your skull is thick despite their clearly being nothing inside it, and you're dumb enough to think it isn't clear that you are dodging a question you have no answer for. I'm more than willing to go, "dang, I totally missed that feature of their lighting, that's really nice" but as you said there is no reason to, since you got nothing impressive to show of it.

None of the games you mentioned are free from fault and definitely none simulate lighting perfectly. But the fact remains that Space Marine 2 looks better overall as a package.
Never said they were perfect, I said space marine's overall lighting isn't any better, your opinion that the other elements make up for it is irrelevant.

I'm also a bit worried about someone who's going out of their way to discredit a game while bringing up other games that have plenty of issues of their own.
"Discredit", I specifically asked what about the lighting looks better, I showed that the lighting has the same failings as any other game and isn't doing anything special, I said nothing about the game overall not looking good.

If you know nothing then say nothing instead of smearing your shit takes online for people to see. 😂
Anyway, game looks great.

Last edited:

Edder1

It's really so simple, Name me some specific things about the lighting that stands out, or stop pussy footing around the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about and just decided to go "looks pretty", must be technically impressive.

The question
"The game is impressive overall, but what is better about the lighting specifically"

You: Everything
You: it's a step up in every way
You: Lets just end this it's clearly pointless

It's pointless because your skull is thick despite their clearly being nothing inside it, and you're dumb enough to think it isn't clear that you are dodging a question you have no answer for. I'm more than willing to go, "dang, I totally missed that feature of their lighting, that's really nice" but as you said there is no reason to, since you got nothing impressive to show of it.

Never said they were perfect, I said space marine's overall lighting isn't any better, your opinion that the other elements make up for it is irrelevant.

"Discredit", I specifically asked what about the lighting looks better, I showed that the lighting has the same failings as any other game and isn't doing anything special, I said nothing about the game overall not looking good.

If you know nothing then say nothing instead of smearing your shit takes online for people to see. 😂
Dude, you keep bringing up games that have fake lighting and here you're talking about lighting, lol. At this point everyone can see the silliness of your argument. Literally everyone on internet is raving about the game's visuals and here you are trying to downplay it like you have a personal vendetta or something. Like I already said, no game that you brought up has accurate lighting and they have plenty of issues of their own, so really this whole "accurate lighting" argument you're trying to construct is just stupid.

The only ones with shit takes is you, we can see that by reactions here.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Dude, you keep bringing up games that have fake lighting and here you're talking about lighting,
Yes, all games have fake lighting, this game's lighting is of the same quality as many others.

no game that you brought up has accurate lighting and they have plenty of issues of their own, so really this whole "accurate lighting" argument you're trying to construct is just stupid.
YES, they have the same inaccuracies as other games, it's totally, normal average lighting.

Did I say every game has accurate, real lighting? No, I said this game's lighting is just fine, we've seen better. I asked why you think it's more than just fine and your response was this.

I'm a moron
Well atleast there we can agree. 😂

Last edited:

Edder1

Yes, all games have fake lighting, this game's lighting is of the same quality as many others.
Because no game will have accurate lighting unless it's doing path tracing, genius. The fact that you're arguing about this further proves the silliness of what you're trying to establish here. Attacking a game by saying it's not got accurate lighting because of lack of ray tracing but then bringing up games that are also not ray traced as having more accurate lighting was the real head scratcher.

Last edited:
Dude, you keep bringing up games that have fake lighting and here you're talking about lighting, lol. At this point everyone can see the silliness of your argument. Literally everyone on internet is raving about the game's visuals and here you are trying to downplay it like you have a personal vendetta or something. Like I already said, no game that you brought up has accurate lighting and they have plenty of issues of their own, so really this whole "accurate lighting" argument you're trying to construct is just stupid.

The only ones with shit takes is you, we can see that by reactions here.

Reminds me of our very own VFXVeteran, bring up any good looking game, especially on console and he'd come back with "but is it path traced?"

PeteBull

nice review from nx gamer for ign, including pc performance and his thoughs overall about game's tech aspects of all kinds, u guys decide for urself how good it looks/plays

Lethal01

Because no game will have accurate lighting unless it's doing path tracing, genius. The fact is I love smelling my own shit.

Having low res shadows is more accurate than having no shadow at all, and having a filter that blurs the shadow based on distance from the light source would also increase accuracy, contact shadow could increase accuracy. obviously you can increase accuracy with things other that full on path tracing. there are also tons of ways to increase accuracy of GI and reflections without path tracing.

What is this game doing to be more accurate than other recent console games?

Attacking a game by saying it's not got accurate lighting because of lack of ray tracing but then bringing up games that are also not ray traced as having more accurate lighting was the real head scratcher.

Did I say the game was inaccurate because of not having raytracing? No, I said there are games with raytracing that are more accurate than it even if they aren't fully path traced, I said that the raytracing that they confirmed to be in this game will also likely make it look better.

But okay, lets put the word accurate aside(even though it's totally accurate). What about this games lighting system on a technical level makes it more impressive than other console games.

Don't waste time with another paragraph of "It's so obvious that I don't even need to say it". All that does is really make it clear you don't actually have anything to say beyond, "Older game as good as newer game, THAT COULD NEVER happen"

Last edited:

Edder1

Having low res shadows is more accurate than having no shadow at all, and having a filter that blurs the shadow based on distance from the light source would also increase accuracy, contact shadow could increase accuracy. obviously you can increase accuracy with things other that full on path tracing.

Did I say the game was inaccurate because of not having raytracing? No, I said there are games with raytracing that are more accurate than it even if they aren't fully path traced, I said that the raytracing that they confirmed to be in this game will also likely make it look better.

But okay, lets put the word accurate aside(even though it's totally accurate). What about this games lighting system on a technical level makes it more impressive than other console games.
Dude, you started the whole argument by saying that Space Marine 2 has weak lighting because it doesn't have ray tracing, but now you're backtracking. We'll let DF and NX Gamer settle this when they speak of how impressive the lighting in the game is, hopefully by then you will at least come to your senses.

Last edited:

SABRE220

So starfield is pretty far from the next gen showcase that the xbox needed and was being hyped as. Honestly, outside of Panned Vistas I never found the games fidelity that impressive and the release seems decently worse than earlier footage still . What is even worse is the sheer Peter Molenyeux levels of dishonestly todd implemented when selling us the game. Empty barren planets with most being gas giants that are unexplorable, no planet landing, no flight in the atmosphere and worse of all invisible walls and the last gen roots are pretty damn clear in their engine...with rotating trees straight out of oblivion and loading for entrances.

Honestly this seems like a last gen game that was delayed to launch on the next gen consoles, they need to ditch this engine so badly but they are afraid of the hard work assoctiated. I wish they made a new engine and wowed us like oblivion at the xbox360 launch but gamebyro will persist until todds retirement.

alloush

I mean it already looked subpar even in those presentations and now it looks even worse? Well, color me surprised!

I expect nothing but be fully blown away by GTA VI.
I don’t expect anything, I stopped expecting!

Top Bottom