• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

alloush

Here is the source video. I made the gif from the original source file which is why it might look sharper. But that was also a 1440p capture, not the 4k capture i see on screen.

its not like this at all times. some areas reflect more than others. I personally like the over the top look of these reflections and lighting. It's supposed to be cyberpunk after all.

Spiderman Miles had similar mirror like reflections and it looked glorious.

F74kzu7XkAAhnP2

FeGoSyjXwAAxym8

I'd argue the reflections in Miles have some imperfections to them which is how they should be but I see where you coming from.

CGNoire

Here is the source video. I made the gif from the original source file which is why it might look sharper. But that was also a 1440p capture, not the 4k capture i see on screen.

its not like this at all times. some areas reflect more than others. I personally like the over the top look of these reflections and lighting. It's supposed to be cyberpunk after all.

Spiderman Miles had similar mirror like reflections and it looked glorious.

F74kzu7XkAAhnP2

FeGoSyjXwAAxym8

Ill take SSR diffuse relections with its inaccuracies over super sharp contrived RT anyday.

Devs are not that dumb they know diffuse looks alot more real but they got to get that RT bulletpoint in there ads.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ill take SSR diffuse relections with its inaccuracies over super sharp contrived RT anyday.

Devs are not that dumb they know diffuse looks alot more real but they got to get that RT bulletpoint in there ads.
Spiderman is a comic book game. I dont think it needs to look real. hyperrealistic maybe.

I'd argue the reflections in Miles have some imperfections to them which is how they should be but I see where you coming from.
i took those pics when reflections were 1080p. they upgraded them 6 months later to 4kcb so they look far more cleaner and mirror like cyberpunk now lol.

You want the reflections to POP. This is from the FF7 remake CG intro. Look at how the reflections in the buildings as the shot cuts to the train are glossy and mirror like. Even when they are doing CG, they chose to have those reflections because it simply looks better.

sT6TTG0.gif

GymWolf

Gold Member
What do we think about fallen?

I think it look rather unimpressive, also very noisy\grainy for lack of better words, lies of p may be less detailed (debatable) but it looks clean AF.

I feel like people read "made with ue5" and overrate the graphic, it was the same for that magic fps...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I think it look rather unimpressive, also very noisy\grainy for lack of better words, lies of p may be less detailed (debatable) but it looks clean AF.

I feel like people read "made with ue5" and overrate the graphic, it was the same for that magic fps...
From what I've seen, despite lumen it still looks flat when there is no direct sunlight.
The umbral world environments look especially flat too.
And water looks very bad

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

Its not always sharp reflections, Most places have diffused reflections. There are some palces with very glossy floors that have full reflective areas.
Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-24-09-2023-2-20-58.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-22-09-2023-23-55-36.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-26-04-2023-21-18-52.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-C-2020-by-CD-Projekt-RED-22-09-2023-23-24-49.jpg

alloush

Spiderman is a comic book game. I dont think it needs to look real. hyperrealistic maybe.

i took those pics when reflections were 1080p. they upgraded them 6 months later to 4kcb so they look far more cleaner and mirror like cyberpunk now lol.

You want the reflections to POP. This is from the FF7 remake CG intro. Look at how the reflections in the buildings as the shot cuts to the train are glossy and mirror like. Even when they are doing CG, they chose to have those reflections because it simply looks better.

sT6TTG0.gif
Oh it looks good alright, but do we want good or realistic? Anyhow, it does look good for sure not tryna be annoying here!
You two should go yell at a lake.
Ok I did that, now what? :messenger_neutral:

SlimySnake

Didnt you like the nanite implementation in remnant 2? I think the asset quality will stand out when you see it running on your screen.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Didnt you like the nanite implementation in remnant 2? I think the asset quality will stand out when you see it running on your screen.
Like other people explained to me, nanite has nothing to do with texture quality, at best it slightly help.

Unless this is the worse case in history of bad yt compression, this game is gonna let down a bunch of people graphically.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, despite lumen it still looks flat when there is no direct sunlight.
And water looks very bad

Yeah ..I don't understand why the lighting looks somewhat flat too. There's no real evidence of using Lumen to my eyes, despite it being confirmed. Still looks like a nice game tho.

DemWalls

I think I read somewhere that one of the streamers playing it said that the game is so filled with minute details that the Youtube / Twitch compression really does it no favours.

Anyway, we'll see in a couple of days...

SlimySnake

Like other people explained to me, nanite has nothing to do with texture quality, at best it slightly help.

Unless this is the worse case in history of bad yt compression, this game is gonna let down a bunch of people graphically.
Yeah, thats why i said asset quality. modeling of assets is far more improved thanks to nanite than printing 2d textures on stuff. you can literally model an object and bring it in the game complete with the original art.

Yeah ..I don't understand why the lighting looks somewhat flat too. There's no real evidence of using Lumen to my eyes, despite it being confirmed. Still looks like a nice game tho.
I think lighting will surprise people. the gameplay vids ive seen have some really nice light bounce. its a big step up from elden ring and roughly on par with demon souls.

setoman

And water looks very bad

Yup was disappointed aswell.
This is what we were supposed to be getting from these games this current gen.
Unfortunately no one seems to be trying.

8lww8e.png

Different angles...Damn I might need to quit my job and go full game dev.

GymWolf

Gold Member
lords-of-the-fallen-geforce-rtx-3840x2160-nvidia-dlss-3-desktop-gpu-performance.png

Lmao the game is super heavy for how it looks.

Imagine looking a gen behind cyberpunk and being this heavy...

Inb4 people saying it's not that heavy, those results are with dlss performance AND fg.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
lords-of-the-fallen-geforce-rtx-3840x2160-nvidia-dlss-3-desktop-gpu-performance.png

Lmao the game is super heavy for how it looks.

Imagine looking a gen behind cyberpunk and being this heavy...

Inb4 people saying it's not that heavy, those results are with dlss performance AND fg.
lol that's 1080p if it's dlss performance... and then FG on top of that
fair enough

PeteBull

No i think dlss performance reconstruct from lower res than 1080p.

I think it was like 900p perf, 1080p balanced and 1440p quality?!
TLDR:
Quality - 66.6% (2/3) per axis, 45% resolution.
Balanced - 58% per axis, 33% resolution
Performance - 50% per axis, 25% resolution.
Ultra Performance - 33% (1/3) per axis, 11% resolution.

winjer

4K at DLSS Performance mode is 1080p.
If those graphics are accurate, then this game will be extremely heavy.
That a 4070 can only do 37 fps at 1080p is insane.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Brute force graphics, vs talented artists.

UE5 is such a disappointment. It still has issues with stutter from asset streaming, like UE4.
But it is so much heavier, for a small improvement on graphical quality.
Call me crazy but i think remnant 2 looks cleaner and more even than fallen...

I really need to see this thing running on my oled because i can't wrap my head around how bad it looks on yt videos.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
First hour of SM2 leaked. I couldn't help myself. It's 720p shit quality but what they're doing with the SSD is pretty insane. Also cutscenes match original reveal and gameplay visuals look pretty good too even in performance mode which is the mode the non-graphics whore of a leaker is playing in. I personally think the visuals are more impressive than AW2 but it could be art preference. They also have this same building from the movie below so we can actually recreate this:messenger_fire:

SlDoVJ1.jpg

But yeah Insomniac didn't phone a goddamn thing in. SM2 is undoubtedly next gen. Took a screenshot to show the lighting. Again shit quality but still looks good

R0xX4jm.jpg

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
First hour of SM2 leaked. I couldn't help myself. It's 720p shit quality but what they're doing with the SSD is pretty insane. Also cutscenes match original reveal and gameplay visuals look pretty good too even in performance mode which is the mode the non-graphics whore of a leaker is playing in. I personally think the visuals are more impressive than AW2 but it could be art preference. They also have this same building from the movie below so we can actually recreate this:messenger_fire:

SlDoVJ1.jpg

But yeah Insomniac didn't phone a goddamn thing in. SM2 is undoubtedly next gen. Took a screenshot to show the lighting. Again shit quality but still looks good

R0xX4jm.jpg

Man, you're insane with these SM2 posts but anyway, can't wait to play it. I just fired up my PS5 to do all the necessary software updates in anticipation. I haven't used it since GOW release.

alloush

SlDoVJ1.jpg

R0xX4jm.jpg
Was just asking myself, where the hell is Chief? Spidey 2 is around the corner and he is nowhere to be seen!

The screenshot looks fairly decent.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Spoiler Tag in case people want to go in fresh for new web traversal capabilities but tell me this doesn't look insane. The daytime lighting matches the "bullshot" as I said it would

Looks better than any vid they have released

ChiefDada

Gold Member
So they are using the same portal technique as from Rachet. Another Incoming SSD Hype cycle.
Here it is if anyone is interested.

I mean, this is rather boring compared to what was shown in the intro sequence where you can see the SSD used for a much more interesting/sleeker looking setpiece. I won't even post under spoiler and I wish I had the fortitude to hold off until I experienced for myself on my OLED.

This vendetta you have against the PS5 SSD is equal parts amusing and weird.

Top Bottom