• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don’t get why slimysnake is constantly reporting this one cherry picked tlou2 pic of Ellie in shadows. Cmon man
Because thats the best one. ND needs to use hero lighting or do a better job lighting their games. horizon's character model looks amazing in any lighting condition. shadows, bright lights, doesnt matter.

F7zrm8mWcAAVIMC

E181UK8WYAQlyTy

yMVGu6k.gif

SlimySnake

I was going through my PS5 capture library and saw my son capture some screenshots of his own. Made me laugh because ive turned him into a graphics whore, but it became clear to me that these older games he's playing look like shit now. Yes, the new games dont look like the matrix, but they look a generation ahead of this.

F7zskauWUAARAJT

F7zsk_pWoAEDM60

F7zsksHXAAAZTiA

Saw this Dark Souls 3 screenshot as one of the first pics i uploaded on twitter back in the day and my goodness. i thought this looked good in 2016???
CkJWrfCWYAElfA2

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Because thats the best one. ND needs to use hero lighting or do a better job lighting their games. horizon's character model looks amazing in any lighting condition. shadows, bright lights, doesnt matter.

F7zrm8mWcAAVIMC

E181UK8WYAQlyTy

yMVGu6k.gif
This is very usual to non rt game to look flat in shadow. Yes they should use hero lighting

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I was going through my PS5 capture library and saw my son capture some screenshots of his own. Made me laugh because ive turned him into a graphics whore, but it became clear to me that these older games he's playing look like shit now. Yes, the new games dont look like the matrix, but they look a generation ahead of this.

F7zskauWUAARAJT

F7zsk_pWoAEDM60

F7zsksHXAAAZTiA

Saw this Dark Souls 3 screenshot as one of the first pics i uploaded on twitter back in the day and my goodness. i thought this looked good in 2016???
CkJWrfCWYAElfA2
lol I swear your son is cherry picking god too lol.
That place in ds3 is known to look weird. I think it’s an amazing looking game. Really holds up on pc at 4k.

SlimySnake

lol I swear your son is cherry picking god too lol.
Nah, poor guy thought these looked good. lol To be fair to him, we all thought infamous was the best looking game of all time when it was released. iiirc, that was the game that started photomode.
That place in ds3 is known to look weird. I think it’s an amazing looking game. Really holds up on pc at 4k.
its not just that place. its the way they handle the LODs. or rather handled the LODs back then. they have really improved with elden rings.

Again, i took this pic back in 2016 because i thought this looked amazing. now compare this to lord of the fallen which is also coming out 3 years into the gen. downgrade or not, it looks a generation ahead.
Cj51YkDVEAAOKqn

h21cj7j.gif

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nah, poor guy thought these looked good. lol To be fair to him, we all thought infamous was the best looking game of all time when it was released. iiirc, that was the game that started photomode.

its not just that place. its the way they handle the LODs. or rather handled the LODs back then. they have really improved with elden rings.

Again, i took this pic back in 2016 because i thought this looked amazing. now compare this to lord of the fallen which is also coming out 3 years into the gen. downgrade or not, it looks a generation ahead.
Cj51YkDVEAAOKqn

h21cj7j.gif
I think this shot looks much better. Obviously ps4 lods but I don’t mind

alloush

What’s bad about something to hold us over, that we all wanted and that will raise more money for the studio to make a new IP and TLOU 3 much better? They have multiple teams dedicated to multiple projects?
I think about it differently. To me, they are actually wasting resources, time, man power, money etc making these games!

GymWolf

Gold Member
Multiple team for multiple projects with a team of what? 400 devs? (For the biggest sony studio, the others are way smaller)

They are not rockstar or ubisoft with thousand of devs (and rockstar still work on a single big game per gen basically)

And what are the results until now? The cheap ass remake part 1 that was only made to cash on forehead and pedro? Or factions 2 being scrapped?

If the whole team started working when they had their hands on the ps5 devkit we could have been talking about the second or third gameplay trailer for tlou3 or a new ip, and instead we have fucking nothing.

Same for insomniac, we had a short dlc that nobody asked for and probably the worst ratchet game in the saga that is barely a 7 and spidey 2 that looks iterative as fuck and look barely better than a crossgen instead of having a full fledged nextgen spiderman 2 that cooked for 5 full years.

1 team working on a single game is the way to go, always has been.

Last edited:

Edder1

Multiple team for multiple projects with a team of what? 400 devs? (For the biggest sony studio, the others are way smaller)

They are not rockstar or ubisoft with thousand of devs (and rockstar still work on a single big game per gen basically)

And what are the results until now? The cheap ass remake part 1 that was only made to cash on forehead and pedro? Or factions 2 being scrapped?

If the whole team started working when they had their hands on the ps5 devkit we could have been talking about the second or third gameplay trailer for tlou3 or a new ip, and instead we have fucking nothing.

Same for insomniac, we had a short dlc that nobody asked for and probably the worst ratchet game in the saga that is barely a 7 and spidey 2 that looks iterative as fuck and look barely better than a crossgen instead of having a full fledged nextgen spiderman 2 that cooked for 5 full years.

They deserve all the bad that comes their way after making TLOU2.

#JoelDidNothingWrong

GymWolf

Gold Member
They deserve all the bad that comes their way after making TLOU2.

#JoelDidNothingWrong
Tbh I care about ND writing, stories and charas as much as i care about a dry shit on the side of the street, i just want another tps with their evolved animations and violence system :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Bingo. You have more common sense than Herman but people will tell you that you know nothing about game development because Herman has made games and you haven’t.

SlimySnake

Yo @Serpiente bavoso, you're taste in digital women fucking sucks, full stop

She looks 60 and with enough meat in that jaw to stop starvation in africa for 6 months.

First of all, she doesn’t look like that in game. Secondly thats not even the first look at her. She was revealed months ago.

And she’s literally the best looking model in the game. Great hair. Big upgrade overall compared to the first.

spiderman-2-yuri-lowenthal.gif

alloush

First of all, she doesn’t look like that in game. Secondly thats not even the first look at her. She was revealed months ago.

And she’s literally the best looking model in the game. Great hair. Big upgrade overall compared to the first.

Kris Jenner protégé

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

Whoa, it's like they face-capped my friend Allison for MJ. You guys know my friend Allison, right? Lol

Can't wait the TLOU Pt II Remake where the only difference is they hot-swap the Joel and Ellie character models for Pedro and Bella. Day One, baybeeee

SlimySnake

If the TLOU2 remaster doesnt include the og character models from that bullshot E3 2018 trailer and those same motion matching animations then ND are done. i was shocked that they couldnt get those character models and animations ported to a PS5 only TLOU1 but i understand that game was primarily made by VSG and ND just finished it. They have no excuse this time around.

the-last-of-us-part-2-preview-axe.jpg

jOxWs2MZ

FMVPjWsB

Last edited:
If the TLOU2 remaster doesnt include the og character models from that bullshot E3 2018 trailer and those same motion matching animations then ND are done. i was shocked that they couldnt get those character models and animations ported to a PS5 only TLOU1 but i understand that game was primarily made by VSG and ND just finished it. They have no excuse this time around.

jOxWs2MZ

FMVPjWsB
Wasn't the lighting engine far more advanced as well?

KXVXII9X

F7zskauWUAARAJT

F7zsk_pWoAEDM60

F7zsksHXAAAZTiA

CkJWrfCWYAElfA2
While not at graphically impressive, that shot of Shadow of the Colossus has a great art direction. It is very atmospheric. Something I feel a lot of modern games lack.

alloush

jOxWs2MZ

FMVPjWsB
Newsflash it won’t. I have a feeling they are saving that for tlou 3!

GymWolf

Gold Member

She looks like robert zdar with a red wig but ok

220x330

Last edited:

SABRE220

F7zskauWUAARAJT

F7zsk_pWoAEDM60

F7zsksHXAAAZTiA

CkJWrfCWYAElfA2
Guys I think this gen broke slimy.

Dont start coping now for the failing standards this gen. Those pics are not exactly representative of the average level of graphics in those games. I can find terrible screenshots like thosse for current gen games aswell. Sotc looks significantly better than that generally in fidelity mode and you can find amazing screenshots to back that, same for second son. Dark souls 3 is an outlier its always basically almost generation behind in visuals to the one it releases its game in.

Last edited:

jOxWs2MZ

FMVPjWsB
Yes, I want this with RT, new textures, haptics etc.

Yes, I want this with RT, new textures, haptics etc.

There's no chance ND will get those things into the remaster. If they didn't do it for LoU Remake they won't do it for a remaster. Look at Sony studios other remaster efforts this gen ..bare minimum- Uncharted 4, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Strandinb etc. We were lucky if we ever got graphics improvements at all. I don't trust ND anymore after their boldfaced LoU1 remake lies and Uncharted 4 remaster where they actually downgraded a couple effects. Hate to say jt but it's true.

SlimySnake

Guys I think this gen broke slimy.

Dont start coping now for the failing standards this gen. Those pics are not exactly representative of the average level of graphics in those games. I can find terrible screenshots like thosse for current gen games aswell. Sotc looks significantly better than that generally in fidelity mode and you can find amazing screenshots to back that, same for second son. Dark souls 3 is an outlier its always basically almost generation behind in visuals to the one it releases its game in.
But thats exactly my point. I have seen people post trashy pics of Starfield, FF16, Forza, and Spiderman to showcase how the games look last gen while ignoring everything else great that they are doing that is literally a generational leap over even the best looking games of last gen like SoTC and Infamous Second Son. And I am not judging, I have done it myself with Spiderman, but I am now beginning to appreciate what they do bring to next gen. Instead of getting upset over what they dont. I will continue to criticize insomniac, bethesda, nd and others for not pushing the bar like the Matrix did, but I am also just trying to put things into context for games like Lords Of the Fallen 2 which looks absolutely stunning in its own right.

Lords of the Fallen 2 is probably on par with Demon Souls with amazing asset quality, and lighting. DS might look better because of the art style, but I see so many different areas with stunning lighting and level of detail. I saw one video where the character is fighting in a puddle of water and that has water physics ive only seen in RDR2 PC's ultra settings. One scene had amazing volumetric smoke effects on par with what we saw in Batman AK's PC mode and nothing since then.

It's easy to dismiss these games because they dont look like the Matrix, but they are doing a lot of things last gen games just couldnt. The foliage draw distance in SOTC (even in quality mode), Ghost of Tsushima, and Horizon 1 always bothered me. the bizarre blurring out distant detail in Infamous is something we all kind put up with back in the day. But now that games are pushing insane level of details in these UE5 games, we dont appreciate it.

I see so many comparisons floating on the internet comparing games to last gen games just to put them down. Yesterday, i saw not one but two youtube videos go viral for comparing AC Unity and Mirage. Yes, AC Unity, the poster child for the outrage squad back in 2014 is now being used as the GOOD game in comparisons. Last month cyberpunk was being used to trash starfield. the same cyberpunk which was turned into thousands of memes and prompted unprecedented refunds. its ironic and shows how we got some of these games wrong. Which is why I am stanning for games like Starfield, star wars, ff16 and forza for the things they do do well over last gen games.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I think people are misunderstanding my intentions. I am just as disappointed as you lot over the lack of Matrix quality games, but looking at how GG, ND, SSM and CD project are all making DLCs and remasters for the first three years of this gen, I cant help but give credit to Insomniac, Bethesda and other devs who WERE able to get UE5 games working this year. remember, GG, SSM, PD, ND and even Bluepoint (Despite promising RT shadows) couldnt deliver RT in any of their cross gen or next gen only games and DLCs. Meanwhile insomniac had it day one and has now shipped RT in 4 games. By default, they are better at leveraging next gen tech than ANY of the sony studios.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Wasn't the lighting engine far more advanced as well?
Not far more advanced, but it had better GI so stuff like fire effects and other lights had better illumination than what we got in the final game.

The biggest downgrades were in character models followed by downgrades to the complete absence of environmental interactivity (ellie cant slam into cars, enemy hammer swings dont impact shelves or other objects in the level, and finally motion matching animations which were heavily toned down in the final game. the lighting is more of less the same save for a small but noticeable downgrade to GI.

E3 2018
jOxWs2MZ

Final Game

F74ky1SXIAEKxyf

F74kzH5XkAA8rTk

Not far more advanced, but it had better GI so stuff like fire effects and other lights had better illumination than what we got in the final game.

The biggest downgrades were in character models followed by downgrades to the complete absence of environmental interactivity (ellie cant slam into cars, enemy hammer swings dont impact shelves or other objects in the level, and finally motion matching animations which were heavily toned down in the final game. the lighting is more of less the same save for a small but noticeable downgrade to GI.

E3 2018
jOxWs2MZ

Final Game

F74ky1SXIAEKxyf

F74kzH5XkAA8rTk
I don't know it looks a significant downgrade in the lighting as well but the other points you made are spot on anyway.

winjer

How does it look in motion?

In motion? Combat is fun. Although weapons feel the same.
And levels have a decent amount of destruction, in the style of FEAR.
But the demo has a ton of stutters. And characters animations, especially faces, look very stiff and dated.

On a very positive note. The game has Peter Weller for voice acting. And t has the original music score.

In motion? Combat is fun. Although weapons feel the same.
And levels have a decent amount of destruction, in the style of FEAR.
But the demo has a ton of stutters. And characters animations, especially faces, look very stiff and dated.

On a very positive note. The game has Peter Weller for voice acting. And t has the original music score.
This was my worry with a more low budget game, generally they lack the animation and AI of the bigger AAA titles. lighting is impressive though.

timothet

The new RoboCop Game on PC looks fantastic

wQbygvB.jpg

LzULzJP.jpg

uf7CbdB.jpg

haKOPAY.jpg

oeVrCUh.jpg

hicb3s8.jpg

i53kJtt.jpg

6qqVfZP.jpg

D4vBoQ7.jpg
I don't know why exactly, but to me this game has certain "this is my first game" feel to it. Like those $2 asset-flip type of games on Unreal Engine.
Is it voice acting, cutscenes/dialogue presentation or level design? Probably combination of all, I'm not sure.

There's no chance ND will get those things into the remaster. If they didn't do it for LoU Remake they won't do it for a remaster. Look at Sony studios other remaster efforts this gen ..bare minimum- Uncharted 4, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Strandinb etc. We were lucky if we ever got graphics improvements at all. I don't trust ND anymore after their boldfaced LoU1 remake lies and Uncharted 4 remaster where they actually downgraded a couple effects. Hate to say jt but it's true.
I agree with you, but I hope they actually remaster it the right way…

SlimySnake

Gifs are even worse than photomode :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Here is the source video. I made the gif from the original source file which is why it might look sharper. But that was also a 1440p capture, not the 4k capture i see on screen.

It’s like there is one giant mirror on the ground
its not like this at all times. some areas reflect more than others. I personally like the over the top look of these reflections and lighting. It's supposed to be cyberpunk after all.

Spiderman Miles had similar mirror like reflections and it looked glorious.

F74kzu7XkAAhnP2

FeGoSyjXwAAxym8

Top Bottom