• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Lethal01

The actual character rendering in the game is also great.

hn94NGJ.png

Cnthyso.png

From what I'm seeing they have high res textures and high res models but the lighting(shaders) make em look dead and bad.
Well, maybe not bad but it's a really glaring issues

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Seeing a lot of stuff about budget budget budget

Last time I researched it budget is primarily comprised of marketing and game dev salary. So bigger/more talented team = bigger salary = bigger budget

I think of us here are conflating to think bigger budget = better graphics. When it’s really a matter of time and talent which is variable. A big budget game is 99% of the time a game in development for a relatively long time (3+ years) with a big team. So you’re paying more salaries over a long time. Do the math yourself it all checks out. And usually these are blockbusters so they have big marketing campaigns. This stuff is where budget goes.
RDR2 is the best example of budgets helping improve graphics. They had all 7 rockstar studios and some 3000 developers work on one game for five years. ND has around 300-400 devs and made TLOU2 in less than 3 years after shipping Lost Legacy. Both rockstar and ND only hire the most talented devs so salaries should match. Which means Rockstar with 10x bigger team is simply going to cost 10x more to make the same game. only problem is that they took 5 years to make rdr2, and 6 more to make gta6.

Alan Wake 2 was made by remedy which has around 350 devs. around the same size as ND. I think remedy has always produced games that have looked astounding. ND just gets more love because they deliver more aesthetically pleasing blockbusters. I thought quantum break looked phenomenal but Uncharted 4 shipped with pretty forests and everyone forgot about QB. Thankfully control is remembered more for its destruction. Dont know if Alan Wake 2 will last the test of time.

I think TLOU 3 will significantly surpass Alan Wake II when it comes to attention to detail, physics, facial detail/animations. Particularly when it inevitably comes to PC.

Naughty Dog is simply a much larger studio and TLOU 3 will have a much larger budget than Alan Wake II. Not to mention that Naughty Dog has provided industry leading visuals for decades at this point.

I think Alan Wake is going to be difficult to top for a few years though. I don't think Hellblade II is going to top this. Maybe Wolverine? Gears 6? I dunno.

Fable did look amazing from that reveal trailer. Maybe that'll be the next milestone.
Alan Wake 2 targets around 1296p on consoles. thats even lower than 1440p 30 fps targeted by the first ue5 demo. they are really pushing the ps5 gpu hard so assuming ND also settles for 1440p, they are going to run out of the gpu. if they use RT, they are going to be handicapping themselves even more.

What I am saying is that I agree, it will be tough for ND to top Alan Wake 2. I think they will focus mostly on making 'pretty' graphics and of course their character models, facial animations and motion matching work will be top notch.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
That’s… exactly what I said

The scope of the game is down to design choice. And you’ll have to explain what you mean by “integrate new technologies” because it sounds like something empty you just came up with for fodder. Also attention to detail and polishing is irrelevant and down to the scope of the game and again, the teams talent.

Technologies such as the rope physics in Uncharted 4 / TLOU Part II, or the path tracing in CP2077 or Alan Wake II, etc.. etc.. That takes time and money to develop and implement.

Other than that I really have no idea what point you're making then. Obviously you need the talent and the vision, but after that budget is hugely important towards developing a game with high graphical fidelity.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
RDR2 is the best example of budgets helping improve graphics. They had all 7 rockstar studios and some 3000 developers work on one game for five years. ND has around 300-400 devs and made TLOU2 in less than 3 years after shipping Lost Legacy. Both rockstar and ND only hire the most talented devs so salaries should match. Which means Rockstar with 10x bigger team is simply going to cost 10x more to make the same game. only problem is that they took 5 years to make rdr2, and 6 more to make gta6.

Alan Wake 2 was made by remedy which has around 350 devs. around the same size as ND. I think remedy has always produced games that have looked astounding. ND just gets more love because they deliver more aesthetically pleasing blockbusters. I thought quantum break looked phenomenal but Uncharted 4 shipped with pretty forests and everyone forgot about QB. Thankfully control is remembered more for its destruction. Dont know if Alan Wake 2 will last the test of time.

Alan Wake 2 targets around 1296p on consoles. thats even lower than 1440p 30 fps targeted by the first ue5 demo. they are really pushing the ps5 gpu hard so assuming ND also settles for 1440p, they are going to run out of the gpu. if they use RT, they are going to be handicapping themselves even more.

What I am saying is that I agree, it will be tough for ND to top Alan Wake 2. I think they will focus mostly on making 'pretty' graphics and of course their character models, facial animations and motion matching work will be top notch.

Honestly by the time TLOU 3 lands it might be a PS6 title at this point. And it's almost certain the PS5 Pro will long be out by then, so they may aim for 1440p/30 on PS5 Pro and 1080p on the base PS5.

Who knows at this point though, too many unknowns to really speculate.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
SM2 is pushing far more geometry than Burning Shores in the open world at any given frame. And its doing so at a far higher rate of speed. I just hopped back into BS and I couldn't deal with it for long. The traversal is sooooo slow its like you're suspended in midair despite hammering the X button. And the world I initially thought was dense now feels barren and artificial because robo dinos and foliage spawn 10 ft below when you're flying. This constantly reminds you that you're playing a video game.

SM2 is the most seamless open world on any platform. Which makes it the top current gen game.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
SM2 is pushing far more geometry than Burning Shores in the open world at any given frame. And its doing so at a far higher rate of speed. I just hopped back into BS and I couldn't deal with it for long. The traversal is sooooo slow its like you're suspended in midair despite hammering the X button. And the world I initially thought was dense now feels barren and artificial because robo dinos and foliage spawn 10 ft below when you're flying. This constantly reminds you that you're playing a video game.

SM2 is the most seamless open world on any platform. Which makes it the top current gen game.

I know I'm in the minority, but I've always found the Horizon games to be oftentimes ugly. They are technical marvels but the art direction is garish and lacking restraint. They remind me of the modern versions of Perfect Dark Zero / Kameo back in the day. Technically very impressive but artistically really off-putting, as if everything's turned up to 11 at all times.

That's just me, though.

Technologies such as the rope physics in Uncharted 4 / TLOU Part II, or the path tracing in CP2077 or Alan Wake II, etc.. etc.. That takes time and money to develop and implement.

Other than that I really have no idea what point you're making then. Obviously you need the talent and the vision, but after that budget is hugely important towards developing a game with high graphical fidelity.
So uhhh… rope physics? That’s the example of “integrating new technology” you’re using to back up your argument? And we didn’t have games use convincing rope physics before those 2 naughty dog games? That’s what you’re going with?

And Alan wake 2 is a bad example the dev team average was about 130, they were just hyper talented so that is actually not helping your point

Couldn’t have said it better myself. More talented people + more time = better graphics

You can’t just pour money into a weak team and get the matrix demo. Not how it works

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
So uhhh… rope physics? That’s the example of “integrating new technology” you’re using to back up your argument? And we didn’t have games use convincing rope physics before those 2 naughty dog games? That’s what you’re going with?

And Alan wake 2 is a bad example the dev team average was about 130, they were just hyper talented so that is actually not helping your point

The rope physics were really impressive though? And it was just an example off the top of my head. Why are you being weirdly defensive and condescending about this?

If you really need other examples, I'll add the smoke effects physics from Arkham Knight, the zero camera cuts from God of War, and the dimensional portal effect from Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. It's not hard to think of examples...

Like, it's the least controversial thing to say that the best graphics require larger budgets. It's common sense.

Last edited:
The rope physics were really impressive though? And it was just an example off the top of my head. Why are you being weirdly defensive and condescending about this?

If you really need other examples, I'll add the smoke effects physics from Arkham Knight, the zero camera cuts from God of War, and the dimensional portal effect from Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. It's not hard to think of examples...

Like, it's the least controversial thing to say that the best graphics require larger budgets. It's common sense.
They simply don’t.

I’m fairly certain Arkham knights Physx were implemented by whatever small team handled the PC port. The zero camera cuts is a creative choice and not an integration of new technology. And ratchet and clank was made relatively quickly by a smaller internal team in insomniac. Your examples just aren’t holding up I’m not trying to condescending or mean though truly.

It’s about creativity/passion/talent

Last edited:
I mean c'mon. The pop-in to asset density ratio is ridiculous.

And look at the speed comparison. I'm going as fast as I can. This is a current gen Decima game for Christ sake.

Burning Shores is only next-gen in some respects, for mostly the same reasons as HFW is. It's the exact same Decima Engine but it's just throwing around a little more data and has some new cloud rendering technology.

The pop-in is terrible I know, but I don't think GG made heavy modifications to their asset streaming pipeline, definitely not for HFW since it was cross-gen and not for Burning Shores because it's still a DLC. As we've learnt with SM2, sure the PS5 hardware can transfer stupid amounts of data, but the engine itself also has to access and read that data which requires software optimisations.

I think we'll be in for a shock when we see the third Horizon game.

Lethal01

And look at the speed comparison. I'm going as fast as I can. This is a current gen Decima game for Christ sake.

Yeah, both games certainly have their strengths, Traversal speed is spidermans and in other areas it loses.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yeah, spiderman 2 feels more next gen than HFW, but HFW has higher highs and feels far more consistent.

I know I'm in the minority, but I've always found the Horizon games to be oftentimes ugly. They are technical marvels but the art direction is garish and lacking restraint. They remind me of the modern versions of Perfect Dark Zero / Kameo back in the day. Technically very impressive but artistically really off-putting, as if everything's turned up to 11 at all times.

That's just me, though.
at times they go too far with the contrast and shoving more detail in areas. it is too much and too cluttery as a result. cyberpunk also suffers from this, but not to the same extent.

the new DLC doubles down on it. the settlement has too much detail but is mostly just an eye sore. i dont think i took a single screenshot of it.

This is the only screenshot i took of the dlc and that was to show everyone here how bad it can look at times. compare it to FF16 which keeps a more simplified art style and world level of detail than Burning Shores and you can see just why adding more of everything doesnt always pay off.

Fyjc6ZhWAAc0wjM

F0Izh2jWcAE_nhQ

F0IzicDWYAAvEIp

SlimySnake

One thing I will give Spiderman 2 credit for is their stunning lighting for dusk and dawn. They even hide the flaws of their building models. At least when you are flying above them. They do start to show their age as you get close, but when you are up there it's as next gen as anything ive played this gen.

I remember taking this screenshot of the Matrix Awakens demo a couple of weeks ago to prove to Chiefdada that matrix has better draw distance and doesnt use 2d assets in the distance, but now I must say I did not expect spiderman 2 to look this good in comparison. They might not have the Matrix building quality up close, but from afar and in some lighting conditions, it might even look better.

F7UXwbiWoAA23fZ

F9k0n6-XsAA-eAW

F9k0neyXoAAxPIA

DanielG165

I think for me, the game with the most seamless and “ungamey” open world is still RDR2, and probably the most beautiful overall imo. It’s incredible how good and how natural and lived in that entire world feels. It’s a world that I feel won’t be truly topped until GTA6 finally comes, but the likes of Spider-Man 2 is up there for sure.

That's just me, though.
Artistically they suck I agree. But technically amazing looking.

On another note: what is the budget of AW 2? It can’t be the same as the last of us 3’s prospective budget right? I am expecting that to look better than AW2 by a margin

One thing I will give Spiderman 2 credit for is their stunning lighting for dusk and dawn. They even hide the flaws of their building models. At least when you are flying above them. They do start to show their age as you get close, but when you are up there it's as next gen as anything ive played this gen.

I remember taking this screenshot of the Matrix Awakens demo a couple of weeks ago to prove to Chiefdada that matrix has better draw distance and doesnt use 2d assets in the distance, but now I must say I did not expect spiderman 2 to look this good in comparison. They might not have the Matrix building quality up close, but from afar and in some lighting conditions, it might even look better.

F7UXwbiWoAA23fZ

F9k0n6-XsAA-eAW

F9k0neyXoAAxPIA
See the buildings (although I love the reflections and agree it looks better at dawn) look like lego block buildings in this to me - or the sims - just not real looking buildings…

Not all the peoples at Remedy were working on Alan Wake 2, they were around 130 peoples working on it. The budget for the game was 50 millions.

Obviously the budget for a game made by Remedy is nowhere near the one for a studio like Naughty Dog. For exemple Quantum break only had four animators were Uncharted 4 had 28. Remedy can't really compete with stuff like this. The scope of their games is not the same.

Burning Shores is only next-gen in some respects, for mostly the same reasons as HFW is. It's the exact same Decima Engine but it's just throwing around a little more data and has some new cloud rendering technology.

The pop-in is terrible I know, but I don't think GG made heavy modifications to their asset streaming pipeline, definitely not for HFW since it was cross-gen and not for Burning Shores because it's still a DLC. As we've learnt with SM2, sure the PS5 hardware can transfer stupid amounts of data, but the engine itself also has to access and read that data which requires software optimisations.

Yeah in term of tech upgrade Burning Shores only has the new cloud rendering technology, the rest is just mostly the same. Their engine is still not really using the hardware. HFW will be soon two years old son it's not a big surprise that a game like Spider-Man 2 use the PS5 more efficiently.

We know that Guerrilla is working hard to upgrade their engine. Michel van der Leeuw said that the studio had crafted an ambitious roadmap for their Decima Engine. For exemple their recently new lead core tech is specialized on streaming systems.

Guerrilla is clearly the studio where i'm the most interested to see their full next-gen single player game for the technical aspect.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I wanto to see AW2 graphic live but after reading how slow it is, how little combat there is and how many puzzle solving you have to do, i think i would just waste 40 euros.

Control 2 and mp remaster can't come soon enough.

Last edited:
Yeah in term of tech upgrade Burning Shores only has the new cloud rendering technology, the rest is just mostly the same. Their engine is still not really using the hardware. HFW will be soon two years old son it's not a big surprise that a game like Spider-Man 2 use the PS5 more efficiently.

We know that Guerrilla is working hard to upgrade their engine. Michel van der Leeuw said that the studio had crafted an ambitious roadmap for their Decima Engine. For exemple their recently new lead core tech is specialized on streaming systems.

Guerrilla is clearly the studio where i'm the most interested to see their full next-gen single player game for the technical aspect.

I didn't know that, interesting. I would have guessed anyway that GG would want to push the Decima engine much further in the future, they are of a small number of studios who chase or try to chase bleeding edge visuals.

I think another important factor in this is Kojima and his team. We know they made several modifications and upgrades to the Decima engine during the production of Death Stranding 1, they're likely doing the same now as DS2 is deep in production as well. Judging from what we've seen it already looks really impressive, it also seems like they're using the MetaHuman plugin from Epic, I wonder if this will find its way into Horizon 3.

shamoomoo

Or "Death Stranding 2."

Xtib81

Indeed, though tbh aerial traversal is at the core of SM2 while you barely fly in Forbidden west since you unlock flying mounts at the very end of the game (not talking about the DLC which clearly uses the same assets and tech as the base game), so I'd expect SM to be much more effective is terms of speed and LOD management.

Last edited:

Alex11

This is the only screenshot i took of the dlc and that was to show everyone here how bad it can look at times. compare it to FF16 which keeps a more simplified art style and world level of detail than Burning Shores and you can see just why adding more of everything doesnt always pay off.

Fyjc6ZhWAAc0wjM

F0Izh2jWcAE_nhQ

F0IzicDWYAAvEIp
As much as I like path tracing and all that, this is a clear example that for now a bit of artistic touch and carefully maximizing a game's strengths triumph above raw power, although HFW is a bit artistic too.

As a 2d artist, I put art above anything, but can't deny a game's merits or strengths. IMO, the cloud system in HFW or hell, even HZD destroys pretty much every skybox there is in any game, I've never seen such impressive clouds and in a day/night cycle.

And all this talk about SM2 speeds, yes it's very impressive, but he's basically Superman now, lol, is it fair to compare it with a slow paced game, or any game for that matter, outside of racing games?
SM2's world is made to be seen from above and look that good, but when he's on the ground it doesn't hold that well IMO.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The intro to Alan Wake II looks absolutely fucking phenomenal. What a gorgeous character model ( despite what it actually was), legit thought it was CG and then they gave you control.

The atmosphere on 10 too. Brilliant title card too.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I wanto to see AW2 graphic live but after reading how slow it is, how little combat there is and how many puzzle solving you have to do, i think i would just waste 40 euros.

Control 2 and mp remaster can't come soon enough.
yeah, game is very slow. little to no action. might actually be slower than the original alan wake.

And all this talk about SM2 speeds, yes it's very impressive, but he's basically Superman now, lol, is it fair to compare it with a slow paced game, or any game for that matter, outside of racing games?
Its an interesting discussion point for sure. I honestly dont know. I think they had their own challenges making this game, and with the faster traversal they probably ended up limiting themselves in terms of just how quality those building assets could be. But then again, the ps5 ssd and io should allow for the best of both worlds.

But the thing is most of the game's story missions take place in traditional levels so they still ought to be compared with traditional open world games. the enemy bases in this game which amount for the majority of side missions look really bad and out of place. its like playing two different games.

SM2's world is made to be seen from above and look that good, but when he's on the ground it doesn't hold that well IMO.
yeah. night time especially exposes the last gen assets. Also the rain is hilariously bad. its fine when you are swinging around (dolby atmos is godly in this, thunder bouncing off my ceiling) but you go on the ground and rain drops only drop in a 10 feet radius around. i remember twitter warriors making fun of starfield just last month about this very thing. note to warriors, dont count your chickens before the hatch.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Problem is that due to their retarded decision to make HFW cross gen, we wont see the true potential of their new engine until 2027-2028 at best. Death stranding will probably come out by 2025 but kojipro is no GG when it comes to pushing decima features. im sure it will look next gen, but gg shouldve updated their roadmap years ago. not in 2023. I see Capcom only just now updating RE engine. Like wtf? this gen is already 3 years old. when do you plan on shipping these games using RE NEXT? 2028 with the PS6 release? RE9 which is due in the next 2 years wont be using this next gen engine either which is very disappointing.

I think Insomniac deserves a lot of credit for their work on the rt reflections, traffic and NPC density and their use of the ssd/io to improve gameplay. It has given me the most next gen feeling ive had of any game other than maybe Alan Wake 2 and some starfield interiors. GG had the option to do it. They chose not to invest in RT which is fine, its not needed. But faster traversal? Even Avatar is using the ssd for that. Fucking ubisoft devs.

I am disappointed at how many shortcuts insomniac took for this game, but it is by far the most next gen feeling game ive played this gen. Played an MJ section at night. her face looked like shit, but that hair omg. best hair ever. why spend so much time on hair then forget about the face? the whole game feels like this. Horizon faces and cyberpunk building quality wouldve made this the best looking game of all time.

Senua

Gold Member
The intro to Alan Wake II looks absolutely fucking phenomenal. What a gorgeous character model ( despite what it actually was), legit thought it was CG and then they gave you control.

The atmosphere on 10 too. Brilliant title card too.
I'm so excited to play, just finishing off the first game as I needed reminding of the story and events

Alex11

Its an interesting discussion point for sure. I honestly dont know. I think they had their own challenges making this game, and with the faster traversal they probably ended up limiting themselves in terms of just how quality those building assets could be. But then again, the ps5 ssd and io should allow for the best of both worlds.

But the thing is most of the game's story missions take place in traditional levels so they still ought to be compared with traditional open world games. the enemy bases in this game which amount for the majority of side missions look really bad and out of place. its like playing two different games.
Yeah, I would have preferred to have the same traversal speed as SM1 at higher quality, but then again, I'm the kind that enjoyed the traversal in Death Stranding, lol, so I think I'm not suited for this discussion.
I guess the majority prefer faster movement, less time between A and B, so probably this was one of the reasons they had to compromise.

RNK

Man I just fired up Uncharted 4 on ps5 and the graphics still amaze me. It's unbelievable that it was a ps4 title. I look at the character models, and while I know that it's a linear third person title, it puts Spider Man 2 character models to shame in every way. In fact, it might still have the BEST character models in any game ever.

Naughty Dog's ps5 games are going to be mind blowing!

Man I just fired up Uncharted 4 on ps5 and the graphics still amaze me. It's unbelievable that it was a ps4 title. I look at the character models, and while I know that it's a linear third person title, it puts Spider Man 2 character models to shame in every way. In fact, it might still have the BEST character models in any game ever.

I started to think our impression of these near decade old games (Batman/The Order 1886/Uncharted 4) is maybe less to do with them looking SO unbelievably amazing that they look great almost 10 years later, (although don’t misunderstand the graphics and tech in these games is great and outstanding) and more to do with graphics and game devs having completely parked their lazy asses at the desk of complacency and completely phoning in graphics for the last few years in favor of performance modes and cross gen and in some cases just sheer incompetence

Basically it’s more to do with devs now a days not trying to push anything or wow us so graphics have ostensibly plateaued when in reality we could be making order, Batman, uncharted look extremely last gen if we wanted

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
ResetEraVetVIP ResetEraVetVIP where have you been??? So much happening lately in the graphics department.

Uncharted 4 has aged VERY well. I get chills just thinking about what another installment could look like.

Rheon

I played it on PC recently and I was quite honestly blown away. It somehow looked even better than I remembered on PS4.

RNK

I started to think our impression of these near decade old games (Batman/The Order 1886/Uncharted 4) is maybe less to do with them looking SO unbelievably amazing that they look great almost 10 years later, (although don’t misunderstand the graphics and tech in these games is great and outstanding) and more to do with graphics and game devs having completely parked their lazy asses at the desk of complacency and completely phoning in graphics for the last few years in favor of performance modes and cross gen and in some cases just sheer incompetence

Basically it’s more to do with devs now a days not trying to push anything or wow us so graphics have ostensibly plateaued when in reality we could be making order, Batman, uncharted look extremely last gen if we wanted
Their are certainly last gen aspects to Uncharted 4. You can clearly see where they chose to sacrifice to get it on the old hardware. Character models is definitely not one of those areas though. I really can't think of a game that beats UC4 in that area.

Last of us series looks great no doubt, but UC4 is still ND's most impressive title to me.

Their are certainly last gen aspects to Uncharted 4. You can clearly see where they chose to sacrifice to get it on the old hardware. Character models is definitely not one of those areas though. I really can't think of a game that beats UC4 in that area.

Last of us series looks great no doubt, but UC4 is still ND's most impressive title to me.
I know but I’m saying we could have that if perhaps we still had people pushing boundaries

There’s never been a period of gaming to my knowledge where games 7 years ago surpass games released currently. I grew up with gaming. Used to be a game 1-2 years after would make what came before look dated already. We’re literally regressing. Spider-Man 2 in some ways looks worse than the order from 2014 (9 years) and AK (8 years) off the top of my head. Far cry 6 came out when? 2020? It looks worse in many ways than crysis on pc (2007). Like what is happening

Last edited:

RNK

I know but I’m saying we could have that if perhaps we still had people pushing boundaries

There’s never been a period of gaming to my knowledge where games 7 years ago surpass games released currently. I grew up with gaming. Used to be a game 1-2 years after would make what came before look dated already. We’re literally regressing. Spider-Man 2 in some ways looks worse than the order from 2014 (9 years) and AK (8 years) off the top of my head. Far cry 6 came out when? 2020? It looks worse in many ways than crysis on pc (2007). Like what is happening
What's strange is that for Spider Man 1, I think Insomniac really pushed the hardware. Maybe to show they were capable of handling such a huge IP. Same goes for Ratchet for PS5 as well.

While I think a lot of SM 2 looks really good, a lot of it is straight up bad as well. They definitely aren't pushing this system at all and some of the decisions they made are just baffling.

It's not going to be until we get true next gen games from Guerilla, SSM, and Naughty Dog that we'll see what this machine can truly do.

What's strange is that for Spider Man 1, I think Insomniac really pushed the hardware. Maybe to show they were capable of handling such a huge IP. Same goes for Ratchet for PS5 as well.

While I think a lot of SM 2 looks really good, a lot of it is straight up bad as well. They definitely aren't pushing this system at all and some of the decisions they made are just baffling.

It's not going to be until we get true next gen games from Guerilla, SSM, and Naughty Dog that we'll see what this machine can truly do.
Oh yeah completely agree. The PS4 couldn’t run SM1 at up to 70FPS if it’s life depended on it. In fact I believe digital foundry even found that in some real time cutscenes it had to dip to 900p and still had the occasional frame rate drop. It was pushing the PS4.

Comparatively, SM2 is a joke to the PS5. It’s not pushing it at all

Lethal01

You grew up in a time where gaming and computer hardware was advances at a faster rate than in it is now. hopefully that changes.

SlimySnake

lol come on with the hyperbole. Uncharted looks good but pales in comparison to some of the shit released this year alone. Let alone cyberpunk, ratchet, demon souls and horizon fw.

Uncharted 4 still looks good because of its art style. Pretty graphics fool people into thinking games are pushing technical boundries when in fact they are just pretty. TLOU2 looks better than Uncharted 4 in every single aspect. Better lighting, better animations, better cutscene models, better foliage, better water, rain, anything you can think of. HFW blows it out of the water. Foliage is a big one. uncharted foliage and trees, especially in open world areas like in Madcasgar and Lost Legacy are really a step behind horizon 1's trees, alone forbidden west. People are talking about character models. Well, in cutscenes they look fine, during gameplay? nah. They use really low LOD character models during gameplay which pales in comparison to HFW's amazing hero lit character models during gameplay.

Same is true for Arkham Knight. The art direction and rain is masking a lot of its technical shortcomings. I have talked about it numerous times here so I wont bother repeating myself here, but Far Cry 6 is a last gen game that is about to be obliterated by another ubisoft game called Avatar. So nah, im not going to cry about a 2021 ubisoft game looking worse than crysis when ubisoft is about to set a new bar for open world rendering and gameplay simulations.

I have brought this up before, but this thread ought to look at what the games are doing well instead of cherrypicking comparisons to show what other games in the past did better. Ratchet straight up looks cg. Alan Wake 2 has a pre-rendered movie look. FF16 had its moments. Starfield looks absolutely insane at times. Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty is just setting a new bar in urban area graphics rendering. And spiderman 2 is pushing many things we simply didnt see last gen from all these A tier developers like rockstar, GG, nd, ssm, cdpr etc.

Trust me you dont want me to post cherrypicked pictures of Barbara Gordon, Poison Ivy, Gordon and Bruce Wayne himself. Lets just appreciate Batman AK for the masterpiece it was and give due credit to recent releases.

P.S These are screenshots of uncharted lost legacy and HFW i posted in 2017 to show how incredible they looked. If I posted them today in this thread, i would get laugh out of the thread.

What are these trees lol.
DISiebdVoAAse_y

Why would i take this ugly screenshot?
C50NJeEXEAQqsqF

what the fuck is even happening here. where is the level of detail?
C6SbnEEWcAAXQUr

This is what ND was doing in 2017. Again, i captured this because i was wowed by this back then.
EJ2tTvQWoAUiA7l

Meanwhile, These are the worst cutscenes in a game ever made by Sony first party. 2023.

F9VfKFoXQAAt5X0

F9GO3oLWEAAUalX

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I booted up GOW: Ragnarock and was pleased to learn that the unlocked quality mode actually works now. The game seems to maintain a steady 45-55 fps which is very pleasing on the eye.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
These don't really do much for me. I don't know...

Edit: Zoom in on the other models in the scene. Yikes.
Screens dont do the game justice. It looks fucking amazing on the PS5 especially if you have a proper TV.

Give it a shot, its gorgeous

Top Bottom