• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The irony lol.

But yes, AW2 looks very good.

The irony because I was dunking on Spider-Man 2? The most graphically inconsistent game of the year? Can't really compare it to Alan Wake II.

Despite, Spider-Man 2 has SSS and characters there look like hot garbage compared to Alan Wake. So it's not like it's some kind of must-have silver bullet feature.

Last edited:
The showering of praise to Alan wake 2 here makes me happy after the SM2 blunder. Does to show that game is just a lazy sub par next gen exclusive. The standards here aren’t unreachable as evidenced by the unanimous praise for Alan wake

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Difference between 30 fps and 40 fps in this game is a whopping 100% difference in resolution. its mostly 1440p whereas 30 fps is mostly 2160p. To make matters worse, their reconstruction technique is much worse than even checkerboard or fsr2. let alone dlss or native. so you done fucked up.
Nah man, i compared it first couple of times before choosing which mode i was gonna play. And the difference was soo small between the 30fps and the 40fps mode that it was a no brainer to go with 40. The only small noticeable difference beisde resolution was the texture filtering (which looks average on both mode). On my oled this game felt stuttery in motion in the 30fps mode and the gameplay had too much input lagg compared to 40fps mode. Here i made those comparisons for you, be honest does this look like 100% resolution difference?

SM21.jpg

SM22.jpg

SM23.jpg

I have played the game in 30 fps from the start and it is one of the more smoothest playing 30 fps games ive played. miles was much worse than this because the snow at 30 fps really made it feel bad. but here, no snow means its mostly fine.
You should have played the game in 40fps mode, it feels 10x better than the 30fps mode.

Unfortunately i don't have much interest in the game and today ufc 5 is out, only judgying from pics here and yt.

Maybe when it go down in price.
Yeah I mean it’s got zero combat for like the first hour, haven’t played a lot but it does seem combat is very minimal. Not Lou 2 esque at all

lol it's a graphics tech thread.
The lack of SSS is noticable when everything else in the game looks so good. the harsh side lights picking up the bump map on the faces looks pretty shit. I think it's a pretty good example of how it's not possible to have one gave that does everything better than every other game. you kind of only get to pick one area for any given game to set a new standard in.
The environments and atmosphere is second to none, they're absolutely raising the bar there.
Remedy have also nailed that david fincher style cinematic presentation. a little soft, a little noisy, great use of contrast and color grading. They've always been great at that and very few other games manage to pull it off without going too heavy-handed and making it look shit.
What does sss do? I can’t tell - like I just played spider man and the faces look much better in this to me

Look at his ear, its the light that passes thru the skin depending on the thickness of the skin and flesh.
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231023234952.png
Ohhhh got it wonder why they didn’t include it? Also there’s a ton of shimmering in Alan wake 2 - to a level I haven’t seen in a while. On my ps5, quality mode - don’t know why that is. It legit looks pre-rendered at points but damn are the consoles really that far behind pcs?

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The irony because I was dunking on Spider-Man 2? The most graphically inconsistent game of the year? Can't really compare it to Alan Wake II.

No. The irony is SM2 characters look bad because of SSS absence and bad occlusion. Alan Wake also suffers from bad sss and here you are throwing a fit because people rightfully point it out.

Despite, Spider-Man 2 has SSS and characters there look like hot garbage compared to Alan Wake. So it's not like it's some kind of must-have silver bullet feature.

The problem is it doesn't as I said above. This is the main reason why SM RM and MM character models look better.

Turk1993

No. The irony is SM2 characters look bad because of SSS absence and bad occlusion. Alan Wake also suffers from bad sss and here you are throwing a fit because people rightfully point it out.

The problem is it doesn't as I said above. This is the main reason why SM RM and MM character models look better.
SM2 has SSS, just look at my picture above. Where did you get that SM2 didn't have SSS?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
SM2 has SSS, just look at my picture above. Where did you get that SM2 didn't have SSS?

I'm referring to the faces. Yes, for some strange reason they made sure to keep great sss on the ears lol. Harry is the best case of ssr in SM2 hence why his character looks better than Pete, miles and mj

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Alan Wake’s character models look good. Leagues above Spider-Man 2. SSS or not. The entire game just screams quality and polish. The more I play it, the more I keep asking myself why Sony is not throwing money bags at Remedy.

Also, Spider-Man 1 character models look better than these in 2 (with some minor exceptions, like Turk pointed out), so the problem with that game goes deeper. It’s a talent issue, not a technology issue.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
MidGenRefresh MidGenRefresh

I took a picture as close to your AW2 picture as possible on Series X, Quality mode.

Very comparable, but when you start zooming in, obviously things like softer IQ, textures, reflection quality etc is apparent. But not bad at a glance.

PC up, console down.

iOSypgp.jpg

alanwake2-2023_10_27-jbepn.png

When you start moving your character and camera, then you see the real difference. DLSS makes the image crisp. I don't even know how many FPS I get but it's butter smooth. You get what you've paid for. BUT! But I think it's still amazing looking on consoles. Such a quality game.

ckstine

Yeah, but AW2 has SSS anyway. It's just quite subtle. You can see it through the cartilage in characters ears, nose, etc. I'd bet in a patch they'll adjust the strength, or it's just buried in a cfg somewhere. People think sss=immediate character perfection, which it doesn't necessarily. Regardless, AW2 is the best looking game right now anyway. And SM2 character models really do suck donkey cock.

Neilg

There are a LOT of different ways to do SSS and I bet the reason why aw2 doesn't have it on faces is down to something stupid. An example might be like the transparent hair cards, once too many overlap it glows or turns black. Or it might be the volumetric light method they used. Plenty of stupid ways to break visuals in games, and an inconsistent result there is worse than none at all.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nah man, i compared it first couple of times before choosing which mode i was gonna play. And the difference was soo small between the 30fps and the 40fps mode that it was a no brainer to go with 40. The only small noticeable difference beisde resolution was the texture filtering (which looks average on both mode). On my oled this game felt stuttery in motion in the 30fps mode and the gameplay had too much input lagg compared to 40fps mode. Here i made those comparisons for you, be honest does this look like 100% resolution difference?

SM21.jpg

SM22.jpg

SM23.jpg

You should have played the game in 40fps mode, it feels 10x better than the 30fps mode.
Was just going off of the digital foundry and nxgamer resolution breakdowns. also the native 4k 30 fps mode has some bizarre shimmering that only affect certain buildings so figured that would be more pronounced at 1440p.

game feels fine to me at 30 fps. though im sure 40 fps is better.

SlimySnake

MidGenRefresh MidGenRefresh

I took a picture as close to your AW2 picture as possible on Series X, Quality mode.

Very comparable, but when you start zooming in, obviously things like softer IQ, textures, reflection quality etc is apparent. But not bad at a glance.

PC up, console down.

iOSypgp.jpg

alanwake2-2023_10_27-jbepn.png
playing this at mostly max settings on pc. around 50-55 fps dlss 4k performance.

the lighting is just something else. game has this thick volumetric feel to it that gives it a very cg look last gen games simply didnt have. love how much detail they have packed into every room. its not going to jump out at you and wow you with matrix quality visuals but close inspection will show its a massive improvement from last gen showpieces like tlou2.

i am going to do some comparisons with tlou2 because this game has basically the same level design. so same rendering load per environment, but they have 5-8x more gpu power. it will be very interesting to see where it all went.

SlimySnake

Regarding spiderman. Game is a looker but some of the story levels in the last few missions have been very last gen in terms of detail. they have clearly improved the lighting and level of detail in the city, but a lot of the outdoor areas still feel dated even by last gen standards. lighting isnt as good as it is in the open world, and it just feels cheap in comparison to other story missions that clearly got a lot more love.

it just makes the game feel very uneven. Some levels look stunning. RT reflections are godly. The asset quality on some of these models are top notch and areas are full of NPCs. I didnt take a picture of the kitchen but holy shit. must have spent weeks on adding detail to that kitchen. so many different dishes. despite the cartoony look, and lack of volumetric effects, this looked better than anything ive seen in Alan Wake 2 so far.

F9adDd2XsAAjN1j

F9adDFpXcAA5CqX

F9adCujXcAELrKD

Sadly, the mission immediately following this one looks like an early gen PS4 game. Very poor night time lighting. very low level of detail.

Musilla

Regarding spiderman. Game is a looker but some of the story levels in the last few missions have been very last gen in terms of detail. they have clearly improved the lighting and level of detail in the city, but a lot of the outdoor areas still feel dated even by last gen standards. lighting isnt as good as it is in the open world, and it just feels cheap in comparison to other story missions that clearly got a lot more love.

it just makes the game feel very uneven. Some levels look stunning. RT reflections are godly. The asset quality on some of these models are top notch and areas are full of NPCs. I didnt take a picture of the kitchen but holy shit. must have spent weeks on adding detail to that kitchen. so many different dishes. despite the cartoony look, and lack of volumetric effects, this looked better than anything ive seen in Alan Wake 2 so far.

F9adDd2XsAAjN1j

F9adDFpXcAA5CqX

F9adCujXcAELrKD

Sadly, the mission immediately following this one looks like an early gen PS4 game. Very poor night time lighting. very low level of detail.
I played the same mission last night 🤣
F9aDqlPXIAAORsh

F9aDp_jXsAACUjb

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Pro tip for those lucky enough to not have finished the game. Make manual saves for your favorite ToDs. Now that I've finished the game I have no choice but to stick with the afternoon lighting aka the worst of the bunch.

Lame for Insomniac to not have ToD setting at launch. Don't even have it a week after smh.

ckstine

F9adDd2XsAAjN1j

F9adDFpXcAA5CqX

F9adCujXcAELrKD

If that looks better than anything you've seen in AW2, then you haven't played AW2. Compared to AW2 that is shite, tbh.

miklonus

When you start moving your character and camera, then you see the real difference. DLSS makes the image crisp. I don't even know how many FPS I get but it's butter smooth. You get what you've paid for. BUT! But I think it's still amazing looking on consoles. Such a quality game.
This is encouraging to read. I was a hair away from buying the game, I was coming in here with the goal of asking the thread what the consensus was on Alan Wake II. Hopefully the PS5 version is holding up like it seems the Series X version is, based on your post.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Spider Man 2 is a very mixed bag. The biggest improvement is the general feel of the world thanks to the better lighting and RT reflections, but other things like character models and some texture quality is interchangeable with the original game. The game shines in the big set pieces, as you'd expect, but most side missions where you deal with NPCs make it look practically identical to the first game. Will post some pictures I took from it in this topic shortly.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Spider Man 2 is a very mixed bag. The biggest improvement is the general feel of the world thanks to the better lighting and RT reflections, but other things like character models and some texture quality is interchangeable with the original game. The game shines in the big set pieces, as you'd expect, but most side missions where you deal with NPCs make it look practically identical to the first game. Will post some pictures I took from it in this topic shortly.

Fair assessment. Please make sure to spoiler tag if/when appropriate

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I liked the lighting and shading of the world in the urban areas. But the trees have some mediocre LoD, from a moderate distance they start looking like crayon bushes.

I also didn't like MJ's new character model, don't have any more pictures, but her character model and facial details look somehow worse than the original.

Peter's face barely emotes during cut-scenes, he just has a half-smile, half-smirk on his face.

RyCVRlY.jpg

Also, the complaints about the game being buggy aren't exaggerated. Probably the buggiest first party Sony game I remember in a long while. I had to reload / restart multiple times because the game would soft-lock, and a trigger or check point would not take place.

The kind of things I liked tho:

z9CbjU2.jpg

EVVe6Qv.jpg

Turk1993

I didnt take a picture of the kitchen but holy shit. must have spent weeks on adding detail to that kitchen. so many different dishes. despite the cartoony look, and lack of volumetric effects, this looked better than anything ive seen in Alan Wake 2 so far.
It got some nice looking bread lol.
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231025002001.png

KXVXII9X

F9adDd2XsAAjN1j

F9adDFpXcAA5CqX

F9adCujXcAELrKD

That is my main issue with last gen and this gen. The consistency of graphics is all over the place. It is why I prefer non-realistic games until we can get to a point where it is more consistent. That kitchen scene looks stunning btw.

playing this at mostly max settings on pc. around 50-55 fps dlss 4k performance.

the lighting is just something else. game has this thick volumetric feel to it that gives it a very cg look last gen games simply didnt have. love how much detail they have packed into every room. its not going to jump out at you and wow you with matrix quality visuals but close inspection will show its a massive improvement from last gen showpieces like tlou2.

i am going to do some comparisons with tlou2 because this game has basically the same level design. so same rendering load per environment, but they have 5-8x more gpu power. it will be very interesting to see where it all went.
I mean that opening with the fat guy looked better than anything I’ve seen in a game thus far - I didn’t realize I could control it. The game is super dark and linear tho so I’m sure that hides the flaws

ckstine

Pro tip for those lucky enough to not have finished the game. Make manual saves for your favorite ToDs. Now that I've finished the game I have no choice but to stick with the afternoon lighting aka the worst of the bunch.

Lame for Insomniac to not have ToD setting at launch. Don't even have it a week after smh.
almost like the game sucks

Lethal01

Alan Wake 2 on PC with Path Tracing and ReShade is just another level in terms of graphical quality.
Im Playing in Ultrawide with DLDSR:

xXhol1Q.jpg

JH7rWVd.jpg

a5ln9mh.jpg

duhlVox.jpg

psgqLSk.jpg

5qU4mdy.jpg

Wxi6ggZ.jpg

This is great, fantastic to see a game with raytraced GI in all modes and objects actually casting shadows.

Last edited:
Top Bottom