• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

ThisIsMyDog

You serious? Does this look anything other than photorealistic to you?

This looks better than any of those PS Cg trailers we've spent so much time arguing over in this thread.

Btw, where is Lethal? The guy who said this sort of fidelity won't be possible for multiple generations???

Confused Looking For GIF by Looney Tunes

Looks great, but not photo-real.

SimTourist

GkXRe7M.gif

Wow.

Look at her hair.

The soft light coming through the window. The subtle sun flare peaking through the window. How the light falls off subtly to the right, onto the bed.

I am truly impressed. Alan Wake 2 quality lighting in a fucking open world game. Next gen
You can see the light bouncing off her orange robe onto the wall on the left and when she turns it goes away. Definitely some kind of real time GI bounce going on.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
SiLTY.png

Holy fuck

The lighting. The production values. The cinematography.

they are both perfect. She's super fucking hot. He's your cool average hollywood type. Both are oozing charisma. Every shot of them walking with bandanas on is perfect. this will be the game of forever if they take the story seriously like rdr2 which is exactly where i feel like this is heading.

Has there ever been such a unanimous or at least overwhelming consensus like this in the graphics thread?

This is a watershed moment for this thread and current gen in general.

Well, everybody knew that whenever ND or Rockstar showed their current gen game new standards would be set. The only reason this is surprising is because this gen has been so fucking underwhelming that we've kinda been trained to expect less from visuals.

SlimySnake

Has there ever been such a unanimous or at least overwhelming consensus like this in the graphics thread?

Some people in the main thread are being downers but this thread has not let us down. so far.

lethal, gymwolf, midgenrefresh and other purists will find a way.

they are both perfect. She's super fucking hot. He's your cool average hollywood type. Both are oozing charisma. Every shot of them walking with bandanas on is perfect. this will be the game of forever if they take the story seriously like rdr2 which is exactly where i feel like this is heading.
Interesting coincidence that rockstar, who has all the money in the world and doesn’t need/want blackrock cash, has attractive female protagonist and ass and titties all over their trailer whereas every other second rate dev out there panders and sells out to wokeness. Really interesting coincidence

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The problem is nobody aside from Rockstar has the money, time and manpower to do this shit. So we're not gonna see any competition from others.
This will be the best looking open world game of the gen.

ND will release the best looking linear game of the gen.

Rinse and repeat like every gen. But I have learned simply never to doubt these 2 studios.

GTA VI trailer has immensely raised my expectations for Game Awards reveals this week. My mind is going insane just thinking about the possibilities.
Prepare to get disappointed.
Best thing one can hope for is the Elden Ring DLC. The rest will be just mid probably.
I don't see anything near the hemisphere of GTA VI being revealed at this pathetic excuse of an award show.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Prepare to get disappointed.
Best thing one can hope for is the Elden Ring DLC. The rest will be just mid probably.
I don't see anything in the near the hemisphere of GTA VI being revealed at this pathetic excuse of an award show.
there will never be ANY game in the hemisphere of GTA6. no one has 3000 devs at their disposal plus 12 years of dev time for one game.

but in terms of visual fidelity, Naughty Dog, CD Project and other A tier studios like crystal dynamics will have their time to shine in the spotlight.

Last edited:

SimTourist

I still don't believe this. This is fucking incredible. I used to roll my eyes at gamers gauging female character sexual attraction because the polygons, animation and lighting weren't anywhere close to the level where I would ever feel inclined to rub one out to any one of them on a boring day.

I'm ashamed to say that's not longer true anymore. God help me.
Eww, imagine being turned on by 150 pounds of lard.

there will never be ANY game in the hemisphere of GTA6. no one has 3000 devs at their disposal plus 12 years of dev time for one game.

but in terms of visual fidelity, Naughty Dog, CD Project and other A tier studios like crystal dynamics will have
Yeah I meant anywhere near the visual fidelity, have to correct myself.
The best thing one can expect from visuals is Hellblade but is that even a game?
First one was shallow as fuck.

The problem is nobody aside from Rockstar has the money, time and manpower to do this shit. So we're not gonna see any competition from others.

Which raises the question as to how they got there in the first place. We don’t want a situation where some publishers/developers just think “oh well we can’t complete with that” Talent, foresight and intelligence can grow a publisher/developer. Everyone started from scratch.

Look at Microsoft, they have money pissing out their ears yet the Xbox chief still apologises for poor releases and states they are learning after years in the business.

Last edited:

Perrott

There not going to be 60FPS mode on PS5/SX, calling it now.
30FPS I LOVE YOU

framerate nerds can get absolutely fucked hard

please let this be the death of performance modes.
The leaked clip by Rockstar North boss' son from the other day was running at 1440p 50-60fps with FSR2. Today's trailer - with RTGI and RT reflections, likely RT shadows (which were already there in GTA V) and at that point why not RTAO for full raytracing - was captured from the quality mode on PS5, which I assume is going to be 4K 30fps also with FSR2 per all the image quality artifacts in, for instance, Lucia's hair.

Rockstar is so fucking ahead of all other game studios that is not even funny.
You can see the light bouncing off her orange robe onto the wall on the left and when she turns it goes away. Definitely some kind of real time GI bounce going on.
Check out when the door of the white sports car opens (I've timestamped it for you). All that ghosting from the previous lighting conditions transitioning into this new light state screams RTGI to me. I recall the same thing happened with RT Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

It’s undeniable. I watched it with my work buddies and we audibly gasped at the title screen beach shot.

It’s a once in a generation experience. People will take work and school off en masse to play this technological marvel.

SlimySnake

One really unique feature of miami they've managed to capture is how low the clouds sit at night as the air cools - and how much of the city lights they pick up underneath. I used to enjoy pointing that out to people and then they realise there's nowhere else they've seen that has that kind of look. You can see this in the shot of the woman with her arms up in the convertible heading towards the basketball arena & edgewater/downtown.

The directors must have so much time visiting over the years to catch all the unique conditions and moments you see.

Looking forward to seeing them take on a post-thunderstorm apocalypse sunset, where the sun drops below the clouds and the humidity in the air glows.
its one of my favorite parts of the trailer. they have nailed the night time lighting spiderman 2 just couldnt.

qKNdjWA.gif

You know when something is a significant step up, you don’t have to analyse or even second guess in the slightest, it hits you straight away . People who went from PS2 to PS3 with Heavenly Sword, Uncharted etc, you see it straight away.

The Matrix Demo that’s no longer available, a bit of a pull your pants down and walk away move that wasn’t it?

Whilst I think GTA 6 looks great, can’t agree with the insane/incredible opinions at all. I wish I did.
I don’t see how you don’t see it right away tbh. Most people here I definitely do. I’m pretty harsh on graphics and it was obvious to me, no explaining needed, no second guessing. Possibly because it’s not a photorealistic art style for the characters it’s not doing it for you?

Neo_game

I am sure some one will do comparison of retail version and this reveal trailer, 2yrs is a lot of time to for the downgrades. lol.

SimTourist

Which raises the question as to how they got there in the first place. We don’t want a situation where some publishers/developers just think “oh well we can’t complete with that” Talent, foresight and intelligence can grow a publisher/developer. Everyone started from scratch.

Look at Microsoft, they have money pissing out their ears yet the Xbox chief still apologises for poor releases and states they are learning after years in the business.
Well, it took years and years of work and growing success, Rockstar didn't just randomly end up in this position. Honestly they could continue to coast on PS3 level forever because nobody is even trying to make an urban openworld like that, but instead they choose to push the bar.

SlimySnake

I am sure some one will do comparison of retail version and this reveal trailer, 2yrs is a lot of time to for the downgrades. lol.
no major downgrades in the original gta5 and rdr2 trailers/teasers. Just a better more cleaner IQ.

rdr2 did have the benefit of launching on next gen consoles. it looked better on my x1x. i honestly think the trailers undersold that game's visuals.

Kabelly

no major downgrades in the original gta5 and rdr2 trailers/teasers. Just a better more cleaner IQ.

rdr2 did have the benefit of launching on next gen consoles. it looked better on my x1x. i honestly think the trailers undersold that game's visuals.
youtube compression will never help either. seeing a game natively is way different.

SimTourist

That hair. the way it sits on her shoulders.

8Lmhxpz.gif

And the crazy part is that all NPCs have this hair. how??!!!
Yeah, the way the sway and weight and momentum of hair movement is done is incredible. Even Tomb Raider/Fifa suffer a bit from floatiness to hair movement, but here it seems really good. Stiffer closer to the roots and more flowy and light at the ends.

geary

I wonder on what platform was this trailer running and how the game will actually look in consoles. From trailer to game, its a long way…Even a 4090 would struggle with these graphics.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

dancing-vice-city.gif

SiLNv.png

gtavc-gta-vice-city.gif

JIdWj5J.gif

Screenshot-2023-12-04-at-10-43-23-PM.png

xaES4Xi.gif

"Graphics dont matter"
We spent the past three years being gaslit by people who have no imagination, who think we have reached peaked visual fidelity with last gen, who are content with switch level visuals.

im just glad that we arent niche. or if we are, we are as niche as these 3,000 rockstar devs who went above and beyond because to them diminishing returns is not an excuse, its a fucking insult. Ball is in ND's court. Lets hope this is the kick in the balls most devs needed. Im super hyper right now and dont know how im going to sleep. If i was druckmann or barlog or anyone over at cd project trying to go bed, i would be looking at several sleepless nights in a row. the only way to top this level of NPC variance and fidelity is they do matrix awakens quality photorealistic visuals. Good luck to everyone else. The bar has been raised.

Neilg

I wonder on what platform was this trailer running and how the game will actually look in consoles. From trailer to game, its a long way…Even a 4090 would struggle with these graphics.

A 4090 struggles with some pretty mid tier games if theyre not developed very well.

I think rockstar still have the magic and we are looking at PS5/sx. They've smashed through the ceiling of what everyone thought possible with every game, no reason to believe they can't still do it.

I was waiting for this gif. NOBODY has been able to get hair physics right before now.
And they wouldn’t tease their new hair tech 3 different times in the reveal trailer if they weren’t confident they could ship it just as is or indistinguishably close

I reckon this bleeding edge hair tech physics is exactly how it’ll behave when it’s running real time on PlayStation 5 in 2025

Top Bottom