• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
yhey7qixed4c1.jpg

To me this is the most impressive shot of the trailer.

When you realize EVERY NPC has different clothing and is a unique design. This has got to be some type of AI tech being generated.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I wonder on what platform was this trailer running and how the game will actually look in consoles. From trailer to game, its a long way…Even a 4090 would struggle with these grapichs.
If it was running on a PS5, they wouldve said it. So probably a GPU that hasnt been released lol.

but then again, i was expecting matrix awakens caliber photorealism and they didnt go for it. looks like they spent their rendering budget on other stuff. i think this is definitely doable on consoles.

we will see tomorrow if DF nutjobs can find fsr artifacts tomorrow. or see if the can sherlock holmes this thing and find out if this was running on consoles. my guess is that just like rdr2, the ps console is the lead platform. 4090 is a recent card, game has been in full production since 2018. the best card out then was a 17 tflops 2080 ti. doubt they kept increasing the top end every other year as nvidia released their 3090 and 4090 cards. i wonder if they looked at the ps5 specs and went to work.

even gta5 was developed on consoles then ported to pc a year later. times have changed but they did not mention PC in their press release so its highly likely that this was captured on ps5 or xsx.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yhey7qixed4c1.jpg

When you realize EVERY NPC has different clothing and is a unique design. This has got to be some type of AI tech being generated.
my friend keeps asking me what would happen if you start shooting up the beach. how would each of these NPCs react? honestly, i have no idea but its going to be madness.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
my friend keeps asking me what would happen if you start shooting up the beach. how would each of these NPCs react? honestly, i have no idea but its going to be madness.
Its going to be absolute insane. Im buying a PS5 PRO and a new OLED for this game.

Did the same thing for TLOU2, once a generation a game demands it

GooseMan69

yhey7qixed4c1.jpg

Look how far it goes. You can see crowds and beach umbrellas as far as the eye can see. Insane draw distance.

Last edited:

Lethal01

You serious? Does this look anything other than photorealistic to you?

This looks better than any of those PS Cg trailers we've spent so much time arguing over in this thread.

Btw, where is Lethal? The guy who said this sort of fidelity won't be possible for multiple generations???

Eating at a Hibachi, brothers birthday🎉, was excited to talk about it but cause of you the first thing i have to say is that it obviously isnt close to photoreal or CG. its an amazing looking thing that's clearly a video game.

why we gotta bring movies into this to make it look bad, lets just enjoy what it is, its as good as I thought it'd be. R* is the king of budget and time.

Last edited:

DanielG165

Rockstar were the kings and queens of last gen graphics with RDR2, a game that is still taking names of most games out today, and they’re unanimously the kings and queens of current gen graphics with a 1 minute trailer. They have, quite frankly, embarrassed every other current gen game that has released thus far, outside of AW2. But even there, GTA 6 is superior, because it’s open world. Nothing else comes close to this, and in terms of open world games, nothing this generation likely ever will.

It’s not just the graphics, it’s the presentation, the art style, the sheer fidelity on display, the fact that every single NPC is as detailed as the two main characters are, the lighting, the scope… Everything in that trailer oozes a level of quality that no other game this gen has matched. And something else that’s just as good? The main guy is a hunk, and the main woman is a dime, and both so far ooze charisma and charm. They’re imperfect, interesting people who are seemingly doing what they’ve gotta do to make it. No in-your-face messages here, no making the guy an imbecile to prop up his female counterpart, just two characters, two people.

NPCs living their lives, having fun, girls partying and enjoying themselves like actual real people… It’s so good man. On one hand, I’m obviously excited to see what other current gen games are in store, and how they push the bar for visuals and gameplay. But, on the other hand… Everything else, current gen wise, just feels… Smaller now? Like, I’ll be getting Avatar soon to check it out and hopefully enjoy my time with it. However, I’m just now kind of ready for GTA 6 to come out lol. I will literally take a paid week’s vacation off for this game. Unless some other studio comes in guns blazing with a knock out title, Rockstar are the tour de force of visuals now and probably for the remainder of this generation.

DanielG165

H4YpEVs.jpg

I just had to do a zoom in on this shot that was posted above. The quality may not be great, but that is insanity. Look at the man in the light blue swim shorts, and the lady in the yellow bikini especially. Those are real people, that’s how good they look, and they’re just NPCS! And just an aside also, finally we have a game where black people absolutely look spot on, goodness gracious.

sinnergy

Most where clueless in this thread. Time to school yourself with real time game engine design . Rockstar just leveled and upped the playing field with UE5 🤣 the hair, the physics, the world density, lighting , water. NPC animation. Pisses over everything that has released and we have seen. As I presumed it would. The other studios are going too have a bad time catching up at this world scale.

Last edited:

CGNoire

This is R*, last time they revealed a GTA the game looked exactly the same if not better than the reveal trailer. Im trusting them more than any other dev when it comes to matching trailers.

But its still important to remember that cutscenes in GTAV had tons of additional effects and where littered with self shadowing 3 point lighting setups.

CGNoire

I think it's pretty close man - most night time photos of miami are likley a long exposure with the saturation cranked.

I lived in miami for the last 10 years and they have nailed the vibe in a way that many people just wouldnt notice. It's way more accurate and grounded than any GTA before.
Yep born there.

Audiophile

I hope we can climb that big thin comms tower up on the left... looking out on this map from there would be epic; then jumping off with a 'chute:

There's just so much depth and delineation to all the details here. You can see interiors too if you look closely...which get's me thinking, the leaker said 70% of buildings are enterable, if they used AI & Procedural Generation with lots of variables + artist embellishment, could you imagine going into this tower and being able to go in many of the rooms, some might be closed off, some you might be able to break in, some you could knock and get let in, there could be stuff for you to steal, you could rob people in their rooms. You could land on the roof with a chopper and use that as your escape, or go in through the front. Imagine having a 6 star wanted level and being hauled up in the middle of a tower trying to break out after you've robbed someone high profile. There's so much potential. On the flipside, I might be getting my hopes up and these rooms could just be parallax trickery:

Occluded assets being reflected in the puddle under the truck. Likely RT confirmed (assuming these social media clips are in-engine):

Check out the insane detail and light interaction on the items on the shop shelves (such as the bottles), the corrugated texture to the hanging signs and even the i/o on the back of the tele:

See how everything out to the horizon is shadowed, firmly seating it in the world. The same goes for the way the boats are seated in the water as opposed to just being assets that intersect with it. Also, one of Rockstar's greatest skills as of RDR2 has been depth through atmosphere; they don't just apply a layer of distance fog but they simulate the light interacting with it...lending the world a pleasing glow that brings the whole thing together:

Shadows under the cars there are wonderful. The paint on the cars is seriously impressive. That curb down to the right is perhaps the bets I've seen in a game, these always look unshaded and unconvincing in other games, like a clean, poorly textured right angle with no shadow. Even the cables above are slack and rippled, even looped up in places. Most games would just do near-straight lines from point to point The road texture is great (looks like they've turned anisotropic filtering up, something sorely missing in far too many games):

All throughout these, there's just movement and life. It all feels so dynamic..

sinnergy

Yep born there.
Been there, and the Keys, roamed that part of USA for weeks, (Am from Europe) . Some say it doesn’t surpass the Matrix Demo, but to me this does . The Matrix is only a concrete city (looks awesome) but the water in that demo it’s a weak point, even that looks splendid here . Npcs in the matrix demo so-so. Miami and The keys are just this colorful.

After rewatching this several times… I have no idea how this is supposed to run on something like series s. I don’t care what you do. An open world like gta, with all the shit it has going on under the hood - that looks like that? Seems impossible to me. Legitimately impossible.

sinnergy

After rewatching this several times… I have no idea how this is supposed to run on something like series s. I don’t care what you do. An open world like gta, with all the shit it has going on under the hood - that looks like that? Seems impossible to me. Legitimately impossible.
If you running at 600p the job is done .. ;) if they want , enough solutions to get it done . This is a extreme example .

Last edited:
Everyone here might think Rockstar are wizards or something, but in the end it is probably the same as with every other developer out there:

“Ok people, listen up. The trailer is now live!” (Cheering and applause)
“Now we have 2 years to make that trailer reality! Let’s do it!!” (More cheering and raising of glasses)

hinch7

Everyone here might think Rockstar are wizards or something, but in the end it is probably the same as with every other developer out there:

“Ok people, listen up. The trailer is now live!” (Cheering and applause)
“Now we have 2 years to make that trailer reality! Let’s do it!!” (More cheering and raising of glasses)
Considering IV and V both released April in their respective years. That will make it just under 1 and a half years away. Which isn't too far off from most reveal trailers.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Be prepared for the inevitable downgrade. You'd need two PS5 ducktaped together to run this graphic quality.
That, or the inevitable PS5Pro.

Do you guys all think it will look like this?
The game is 2 years from release. To me, this trailer is just a target render.
No way it will look like this on consoles. The hair physics alone in the trailer are really resource intensive.
Prepare for massive downgrades!

GymWolf

Gold Member
Do you guys all think it will look like this?
The game is 2 years from release. To me, this trailer is just a target render.
No way it will look like this on consoles. The hair physics alone in the trailer are really resource intensive.
Prepare for massive downgrades!
I expect something to be downgraded and something to be upgraded.

Falc67

I still don't believe this. This is fucking incredible. I used to roll my eyes at gamers gauging female character sexual attraction because the polygons, animation and lighting weren't anywhere close to the level where I would ever feel inclined to rub one out to any one of them on a boring day.

I'm ashamed to say that's not longer true anymore. God help me.
bro is hungry

Last edited:

Xtib81

Need to watch on a large screen but the shot from the sky looks breathtaking, that draw distance is just *chef kiss. The attention to detail and animations are also unparalleled. Will wait before I see gameplay though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom