• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Spiderman 2 is not in-game cutscenes it's pre rendered cutscene, gta 6. Looks in-game thou

Saw this a few minutes ago. DF did a brief Spiderman cutscene comparison in their GTA6 video to show how GTA6 is going for a more stylized look like Spiderman 2, and my goodness, its a generational leap. WTF were insomniac doing for five years? Talk about phoning in the biggest game in your studio history.

9U1Qfaqh.jpg

OP0k1Oth.jpg

fV1xt7ih.jpg

g3BKwadh.jpg

DanielG165

I said this in another thread, but Hellblade and GTA 6 are now the golden standards for graphics in gaming. Nothing else currently comes close to those two. Hellblade looked absolutely immense tonight.

Senua

Gold Member
I said this in another thread, but Hellblade and GTA 6 are now the golden standards for graphics in gaming. Nothing else currently comes close to those two. Hellblade looked absolutely immense tonight.
Alan wake 2 on PC is rather stunning to behold but let's wait and see

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ok. Hellblade 2 is the greatest looking game ive seen. What a trailer. gameplay shot after gameplay shot. I cant believe this game was first shown off 4 years ago at the VGAs, but they have delivered. Insane graphics.

Hilarious how they havent improved the combat at all. I liked heavenly sword and DmC. Its very disappointing to see ninja theory regress.

Regardless, visuals are why we are here and I think this is up there with gta6, alan wake 2, and avatar as the best looking games of the gen so far.

Fuck me sideways so i wasn't wrong, the fucking chipmunk is voicing my main character...

This dude is gonna ruin a lot of games in the future :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I chose the first female voice because of this. Miles Morales voice is awful. The third Navi voice sounds like Elena's va from Uncharted. Better than Miles but no thanks. Why 2 female voices to choose but only one male?

Btw- did anyone else think Kojimas translator sounds exactly like Yongyea?

SimTourist

Y

Pre-rendered trailers tend to look that way and yet this Hellblade 2's trailer tonight looks like the best graphics of the entire generation so I'll take it. What looks better? Gta6? Alan Wake 2? Cyberpunk? It looks fantastic.
Considering most games are going for cartoony artstyles it's not that bad I guess.

Ok. Hellblade 2 is the greatest looking game ive seen. What a trailer. gameplay shot after gameplay shot. I cant believe this game was first shown off 4 years ago at the VGAs, but they have delivered. Insane graphics.

Hilarious how they havent improved the combat at all. I liked heavenly sword and DmC. Its very disappointing to see ninja theory regress.

Regardless, visuals are why we are here and I think this is up there with gta6, alan wake 2, and avatar as the best looking games of the gen so far.

Can we tell for sure that they havn't improved combat? I truly hope this isn't the case but that was my impression too. I can't believe it. Combat needed an overhaul so badly. How does a dev not see that and improve it for a sequel?

This looks good, but most of the footage doesn't look like this.
Most does not true, it seems fairly uneven - but going off the highest points it reaches this looks like it’s in another stratosphere graphically at points - and that’s just a super low res shitty gif. Parts of the trailer are movie-level quality

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Some Avatar gifs. Im honestly blown away by how consistently beautiful this game looks. During day time, night time when all plants start glowing, during rain and storms. Their weather tech is basically what ghost of tsushima promised but thanks to physics being applied to pretty much all foliage here, it helps the world feel so much more dynamic. wind effects are great too.

But what surprised me the most was how beautiful every single area looks so far. I have no idea wtf these previews were playing but this is by far the most consistently good looking game ive played this gen. I must have played for like 2 hours walking from one mission to another and I was continuously encountering areas like these.

K3WIYZh.gif

aYlPhWL.gif

BTW, those bamboo like plants are fully destructible. ran into a rhino nearby and he started chasing me destroying everything in its path like in the movies. The fire effects arent like far cry 2 unfortunately but if you use explosives in these places, plants, leaves and branches all fall down from trees creating the illusion of destruction.

The hdr black level raise hurts the night time a bit, and the ray traced water looks way too grainy probably because im using medium RT reflections instead of ultra, but aside from those two complaints, this is as good as it gets.

icerock

Yea you must have poor eye sight or your TV is a mile away from ya sofa

Modern TVs do an extremely good job of upscaling content, especially if it's 1440p to 4K. And, if devs are competent and have put in a good anti-aliasing solution, the IQ is sharp. Obviously flicking between the two modes will make you notice differences but it's not as if I see a well put together 1440 presentation and be like yeah that look blurry or not 4K. Difference is miniscule, and considering the power of those consoles, 1440p should be the rendering budget for devs trying to push fidelity.

Dude, i just spent 3 weeks playing a corridor shooter. almost beat it three times. I practically have a masters in corridor graphics now. The lighting in those looked like those cherrypicked screenshots midgenrefresh posts of cyberpunk. Especially one with windows. Fantastic GI. Someone had posted a gif of that TLOU2 corridor at the tv station and I pointed out how the corridor just felt flat. Here those corridors felt like they had proper light bounce coming in from the windows.

Lets hope midgenrefresh took some screenshots of that.

Yes. Extremely seamless experience. Game defaulted the best settings for me. Though it did default FSR quality for me which i changed to dlss. other than that, i didnt have to change a thing. no shader compilation. no stutters. it was like playing a console game.

I am in a pickle, I want to give this game a try but I don't want to cough up full price. There is no Ubi+ on PS5 yet but it is on Xbox/PC. I can sub there but my question is, can my 3070 handle this game? My PC isn't hooked up to my TV so I'll only game at either 1080/1440p on my monitor.

I’ve come around to the avatar graphics after the initial disappointment of not matching the reveal. Playing it more - They are actually really impressive. Still not sure I’d fully put it above Burning Shores - but it’s definitely a looker. Definitely still not at that UE5 demo quality - and I don’t think it’s just lighting that causes me to think that.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Modern TVs do an extremely good job of upscaling content, especially if it's 1440p to 4K. And, if devs are competent and have put in a good anti-aliasing solution, the IQ is sharp. Obviously flicking between the two modes will make you notice differences but it's not as if I see a well put together 1440 presentation and be like yeah that look blurry or not 4K. Difference is miniscule, and considering the power of those consoles, 1440p should be the rendering budget for devs trying to push fidelity.

I am in a pickle, I want to give this game a try but I don't want to cough up full price. There is no Ubi+ on PS5 yet but it is on Xbox/PC. I can sub there but my question is, can my 3070 handle this game? My PC isn't hooked up to my TV so I'll only game at either 1080/1440p on my monitor.
Easily. I’m running this on a 3080 at the high preset at 4k dlss quality. Only a couple of settings were defaulted to medium and it runs at 60 fps with only a few drops to mid 50s during hectic fights. You can drop to dlss quality on your 1440p monitor and try increasing reflections and other rt settings. Keep the lod settings to whatever they default for you. That’s vram bound and you might run out with only 8gb. My 3080 at 4k dlss quality is already over 8.5 gb. I notice some lod pop in but it’s rare. I suspect it will become more apparent when i get the ability to fly.

I also paid $15 for this lol. Do it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
i'm just curious, cause this game is absolutely incredible

It's UE5. Native is probably gonna be 1080p~ or so and the (good) TSR should take care of the rest.

Remnant 2 is 720p with TSR, you wouldn't be able to tell it's a 720p game looking at it.

icerock

Easily. I’m running this on a 3080 at the high preset at 4k dlss quality. Only a couple of settings were defaulted to medium and it runs at 60 fps with only a few drops to mid 50s during hectic fights. You can drop to dlss quality on your 1440p monitor and try increasing reflections and other rt settings. Keep the lod settings to whatever they default for you. That’s vram bound and you might run out with only 8gb. My 3080 at 4k dlss quality is already over 8.5 gb. I notice some lod pop in but it’s rare. I suspect it will become more apparent when i get the ability to fly.

I also paid $15 for this lol. Do it.

Thanks for replying, I'll give this a shot tomorrow. And, yes VRAM is such a huge pain in the butt. Nvidia did us dirty with 8GB/10GB on 3070/3080s. These GPUs are a lot of more potent but are always bottlenecked by lack of VRAM as you starting cranking up the settings, RT in particular.

HighPoly

Banned
It's UE5. Native is probably gonna be 1080p~ or so and the (good) TSR should take care of the rest.

Remnant 2 is 720p with TSR, you wouldn't be able to tell it's a 720p game looking at it.
I hope Ninja Theory don't make so many graphics options on Xbox..

Performance mode and Resolution mode enough...
I don't wanna even know if the game will support FSR3, just give me the best!!

Last edited:
Shhhhh, keep your voice down. Otherwise Lethal will come to argue with you that it's CLEARLY from a game and SO FAR APART from photorealism. He will say we are 3 generations away from any console rendering a CG quality frame in real time.
Lol I mean it’s unarguable in that shot. So we’ve reached it I guess, unless this is a live action segment they mixed in the trailer. Which I would totally believe if they said that.

DanielG165

I went and rewatched Hellblade 2 on my TV once I got home, and yeah, it is most definitely a tour de force in its visual presentation. You could convince me that Ninja Theory had partnered with a film director to create a CGI film, and I’d believe you; it’s that graphically nuts. I have no clue what the likes of Naughty Dog are busy working on, but Senua’s Saga and GTA 6 are the front runners of this generation currently, with Alan Wake 2 being comfortably in a 3rd place position, and I mean that in the best possible way. Next gen/current gen is finally arriving in full force.

Also, Slimy is swiftly convincing me to grab Avatar for $15 with Ubisoft+; I need another game to try and melt my PC with.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
GTA 6, Hellblade 2, making excellent cases for 30fps moving forward.

The 2 best looking games of all time are console games. All about talent baby.

With that said, where the FUCK IS SONY?

Santa Monica new IP
Naughty Dog new IP
Guerrilla Games new game
BluePoint new game
Bend new game
Sucker Punch Ghosts 2

ALL of these games could legit be some of the best looking stuff this gen, they must be cooking up MEALS, but damn man, its time to show something.

Lethal01

Shhhhh, keep your voice down. Otherwise Lethal will come to argue with you that it's CLEARLY from a game and SO FAR APART from photorealism. He will say we are 3 generations away from any console rendering a CG quality frame in real time.
this is atleast faaar better than the shit you usually claim as looking cgi.

still clearly a game though.

Top Bottom