• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GudOlRub

I see people talking about a potential 60fps version of the game for PS5 Pro even after this video, my question is, why? Why do people think it'll have a 60fps mode on PS5 Pro?
The game seemingly runs at a dynamic 1440p, how likely is it that R* is going to put in the effort to release a 60fps mode instead of just bumping the resolution and calling it a day just like they did with RDR2?

Lethal01

I see people talking about a potential 60fps version of the game for PS5 Pro even after this video, my question is, why? Why do people think it'll have a 60fps mode on PS5 Pro?
The game seemingly runs at a dynamic 1440p, how likely is it that R* is going to put in the effort to release a 60fps mode instead of just bumping the resolution and calling it a day just like they did with RDR2?

the game is coming to series r, 60fps mode is totally believable

Callisto looks better on my LG OLED than it does in these gifs. my heart sinks every time i see imgur add artifacts and completely remove all colors from my callisto gifs. Same thing happened with my starfield and forza gifs. I upload videos on youtube at 4k from PS5 and they look awful. Taking gifs from those uploads adds even more artifacts. Then imgur just destroys the final image quality.

This is not an issue with screenshots since they dont get butchered by youtube and imgur. But they also dont show what the game looks like in motion and robocop just looks mid in motion even when its not stuttering on my setup. Maybe because its first person. Cyberpunk's first person view is trash too. I only like the graphics when im in a car. The FOV is just dumb and first person animations of walking are like something from the pre-KZ2 era.

I played the robocop night level last night. DF made it look like the greatest graphics of all time. But this callisto level simply looks better in every way. And this is after imgur has completely destroyed all post processing effects.

lFWljOJ.gif

AW2, Starfields interiors and Callisto are just in another league compared to robocop. Based on what ive played so far. the police station was pathetic. So many empty rooms. No atmosphere. Every single room in callisto is lit to perfection.

Robocop didn't blow away until I got to the biker gang level. The raw fidelity overcame the low production values by that point and I got some true next gen moments. Honestly the graphics kick into another gear 3-4 hours into things. The lumen lighting in that game during daytime is what impressed me most.

I am still not sure what you mean by angles:

why would the buildings face the camera even if you are looking at them from the sides?

Starfield's interiors both in terms of lighting and asset quality, Callisto, and AW2's lighting and asset quality is way above TLOU2. And unlike Stafield and AW2, I played CP at 30 fps on the PS5. It looks virtually identical to PC's high save for some volumetric lighting and fog effects.

TLOU2 shines best in outdoor levels in rain. Its interiors just lack the kind of detail modern games are throwing at the screen. That chapter where Ellie rides the boat in the storm is probably on par with AW2, but overall it is lacking in several key areas. You can see that in the trailer released yesterday. Features the same levels as the single player games. Looks a generation behind most games released this year.

I'm almost positive that the gameplay that takes place in LoU2 remasters new mode are toned down graphically compared to the base game. Kind of like how UC4's multiplayer was similar looking but not on the level of its base game. Lighting and texture work doesn't seem at max. It's subtle. I particularly noticed it in the Jackson and Santa Barbara levels I saw being previewed.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Wow, I am pleasantly surprised by Avatar. Not only does the game's opening look beautiful in console quality mode, the story opening, while not perfectly executed, is captivating nonetheless. The only problem: I got so dizzy watching the gameplay. If this was 3rd person I would have purchased and been playing at this moment. What a shame.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not so fast. For all we know GTA 6 could be like arkahm knight for switch on series S. It could be 480p hovering around 25 fps lowest setting.

SlimySnake SlimySnake has correctly stated more than once. Devs don’t give a fuck about series S
Nah, im with him on this. At least if you look at other series s games on consoles. Most of these UE5 games are dropping down to 480p on the series s but only in performance mode. In 30 fps modes, games are maintaining 720p with clear downgrades, but still 720p. The UE4 games like callisto and star wars were actually 900p at 30 fps. Again, missing rt effects and other downgrades, but those series s cutbacks basically became the performance mode for the premium consoles. look up robocop for reference.

now, gta6 is a different beast altogether because of the CPU so if they are maxing out the CPU then you are not getting a 60 fps mode. But since they are willing to take on the massive CPU hit by using RTGI and RT reflections, they will likely have enough headroom to do 60 fps at series s settings at roughly 720p like FF16 and Immortals. Or they could follow Massive's lead and do 60 fps at much higher resolutions like 1080p while maintaining RTGI even in the performance mode. But Avatar doesnt have many NPCs or traffic simulations to worry about.

Dont use last gen as reference. Last gen, all games were bottlenecked by the awful jaguar CPUs. Thats no longer the case this gen. As long as you can reduce the GPU load by half, either by lowering settings or halving the resolution, you should be able to do 60 fps. If the game is CPU heavy then you might need to lower the resolution further or remove RT effects but its definitely doable.

Aside from starfield, which is a bethesda game, i cant think of a single game this gen that shipped with only a 30 fps mode. At least on PS5. every game has had a 60 fps mode.

The leak showed the game running at 60 fps as well.

DF says there is some form of realtime GI in this game. Likely RTGI. It looks even better than the matrix awakens demo because in the Matrix demo, RTGI/hardware lumen is used only for a couple of blocks while GTA6 seems to be using it for distant buildings. But i think this might be because its effectively a cutscene instead of gameplay like matrix awakens.

Still crazy that the game that looks this dense and packed with detail is pushing RTGI on consoles. I told you all these consoles were powerful. Devs just had to take advantage of them.

They weren't 100% on this being rt gi. Could be Rockstars own real time gi system that is 90% as accurate as rt but less resource intensive.

So RTGI, RT reflections, NO RT Shadows. Looks realtime, not pre-rendered but those tiktok scenes might be pre-rendered. 4k FSR quality so 1440p internal. No RT reflections on large bodies of water. RT reflections have SSR fallbacks.

That last part tells me that the series S version will likely have no RT which also bodes well for a performance mode on the PS5 and XSX. The only question is just how intensive the NPC cpu simulations really are. Its one thing to render all those people in strip clubs and in the beaches, another thing altogether to shoot up the place and have them all react. I remember playing GTA4 DLC episodes on my PC and i was maxing out at 40 fps despite having a pretty decent modern CPU back in 2010 or 2011 and a GPU 8x more powerful than the PS3.

Not to be a downer because your analysis is spot on and insightful but this is Rockstar we're talking about ....we might not get 60 fps even if they could SIMPLY so they can resell it a few years later as a "remaster". They have done this 3 TIMES NOW- gta5, rdr2 (no 60 fps patch) and rdr1 remaster (Xbox 360 BC on SX but you have to buy the "remaster" for 60 fps)

That is the depressing, scummy reality of this company

SlimySnake

Wow, I am pleasantly surprised by Avatar. Not only does the game's opening look beautiful in console quality mode, the story opening, while not perfectly executed, is captivating nonetheless. The only problem: I got so dizzy watching the gameplay. If this was 3rd person I would have purchased and been playing at this moment. What a shame.

Its the biggest unforced error ive seen since cyberpunk. I will never understand why devs think first person is more immersive. its not. then they double down and do first person cutsceenes and wonder why no one gives a shit about the main character you dont even fucking see.

They weren't 100% on this being rt gi. Could be Rockstars own real time gi system that is 90% as accurate as rt but less resource intensive.
actually, they pointed out a lot of different things where they said that it has to be RTGI because regular dynamic/realtime/software GI solutions wouldnt have that kind of coverage.

Its still unconfirmed yes, but they seemed to be pretty certain it was some form of RTGI.

Robocop didn't blow away until I got to the biker gang level. The raw fidelity overcame the low production values by that point and I got some true next gen moments. Honestly the graphics kick into another gear 3-4 hours into things. The lumen lighting in that game during daytime is what impressed me most.
Cool. thanks. i will stick with it.

But avatar first. Ubisoft let me preload it even though i only paid $15 for the membership. what a bunch of morons letting me play their $100 million game for fifteen bucks lol.

Portugeezer

Nah, im with him on this. At least if you look at other series s games on consoles. Most of these UE5 games are dropping down to 480p on the series s but only in performance mode. In 30 fps modes, games are maintaining 720p with clear downgrades, but still 720p. The UE4 games like callisto and star wars were actually 900p at 30 fps. Again, missing rt effects and other downgrades, but those series s cutbacks basically became the performance mode for the premium consoles. look up robocop for reference.

now, gta6 is a different beast altogether because of the CPU so if they are maxing out the CPU then you are not getting a 60 fps mode. But since they are willing to take on the massive CPU hit by using RTGI and RT reflections, they will likely have enough headroom to do 60 fps at series s settings at roughly 720p like FF16 and Immortals. Or they could follow Massive's lead and do 60 fps at much higher resolutions like 1080p while maintaining RTGI even in the performance mode. But Avatar doesnt have many NPCs or traffic simulations to worry about.

Dont use last gen as reference. Last gen, all games were bottlenecked by the awful jaguar CPUs. Thats no longer the case this gen. As long as you can reduce the GPU load by half, either by lowering settings or halving the resolution, you should be able to do 60 fps. If the game is CPU heavy then you might need to lower the resolution further or remove RT effects but its definitely doable.

Aside from starfield, which is a bethesda game, i cant think of a single game this gen that shipped with only a 30 fps mode. At least on PS5. every game has had a 60 fps mode.

The leak showed the game running at 60 fps as well.
DF seem to think Rockstar will try to get similar settings on Series S but at reduced resolution, as opposed to tweaking assets for Series S to look coherent. In which case, there will be no big difference in Series S settings to transfer over (enough for 60fps mode on the big consoles anyway).

SlimySnake

DF seem to think Rockstar will try to get similar settings on Series S but at reduced resolution, as opposed to tweaking assets for Series S to look coherent. In which case, there will be no big difference in Series S settings to transfer over (enough for 60fps mode on the big consoles anyway).
Dont know why they think we can get RT on series s when most other games have straight up skipped rt on the series s. it cant even do rt reflections, why would it handle rt reflections and rtgi in an open world game no less?

maybe avatar runs rt on the series s but we havent seen any DF video on it. that would be the only game released besides metro that has rt on the series s to my knowledge.

That Avatar game looks like absolute ass. We’re headed to an industry that has only like two publishers with trillion dollar+ videogame budgets, crazy.

icerock

Sorry but I'm not going to drive around Night City aimlessly in hope of finding one contemporary ass looking building to satisfy your needs. They are futuristic looking with amazing complexity, beautiful lighting, reflections and amazing architecture. In other words: more impressive than anything from that trailer. But yeah, whatever.

Alex Baklava has confirmed that the pixel counts for GTA6 show reconstruction from 1440p native. And in one shot, slightly lower than that. They seem to be using FSR. So 4k FSR quality.

I am so fucking happy devs are not targeting native 4k anymore and are actually using the fucking tflops to push visual fidelity. Fucking insomniac just left 60% of the gpu just sitting there. wasted it in order to chase native 4k. Fucking amateurs. if ND does it with their next game......

If the Pro is indeed 70-100% more powerful, we should get native 4k on the pro anyway. Big fuck up my MS to skip mid gen refresh this gen. Absolutely retarded wasting money on a Series S and then skipping the one thing their hardcore gaming fans want.

P.S Alex said he wont be playing this game just because its not on PC. Imagine being a fanboy so bad you skip arguably the biggest game of all time because its not on your favorite hardware.

Native 1440p with good TAA looks razor sharp anyway (TLOU II for example), I've never really noticed a difference between 1440p/4K personally on my TV unless you faceplant next to the screen.

However, I don't think devs are chasing Native 4K just for the sake of it. I genuinely think development costs have gotten so out of control, that if devs change their native rendering target to 1440p, with all the remaining GPU overhead they will run out of budget trying to push more eye-candy. GTA VI is an exception because Rockstar have fuck you money, and I wouldn't be surprised if this games budget exceeds $1B considering it's been in dev since 2014. This game is a massive massive exception.

I really wonder how Alex coped during late 2010s/early 2010s when it was a really dark time for PC Gaming with MS not putting their games on there. 3rd party devs straight up skipping the platform, or doled out really shitty ports.

Dont know why they think we can get RT on series s when most other games have straight up skipped rt on the series s. it cant even do rt reflections, why would it handle rt reflections and rtgi in an open world game no less?

maybe avatar runs rt on the series s but we havent seen any DF video on it. that would be the only game released besides metro that has rt on the series s to my knowledge.

There is precisely zero chance any RT makes it way onto Series S in GTA VI. The hardware is simply too weak. These devs have a task and a half just to get the game to run on this thing, because their game design is so heavily tied into lighting setup, they'll have to spend serious $$$ just to reach a workaround for it to fit Series S rendering budget. Exhibit #4656565 of a zillion as to why Series S was a colossal mistake, and Microsoft not only knee-capped their bigger console but the entire generation. Their wide and slow approach on Series X SoC was another mistake in hindsight as the yields are really low but I still think they should've just ate the cost and released a $399 all-digital Series X instead of building this PoS.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Native 1440p with good TAA looks razor sharp anyway (TLOU II for example), I've never really noticed a difference between 1440p/4K personally on my TV unless you faceplant next to the screen.

However, I don't think devs are chasing Native 4K just for the sake of it. I genuinely think development costs have gotten so out of control, that if devs change their native rendering target to 1440p, with all the remaining GPU overhead they will run out of budget trying to push more eye-candy. GTA VI is an exception because Rockstar have fuck you money, and I wouldn't be surprised if this games budget exceeds $1B considering it's been in dev since 2014. This game is a massive massive exception.

I really wonder how Alex coped during late 2010s/early 2010s when it was a really dark time for PC Gaming with MS not putting their games on there. 3rd party devs straight up skipping the platform, or doled out really shitty ports.

There is precisely zero chance any RT makes it way onto Series S in GTA VI. The hardware is simply too weak. These devs have a task and a half just to get the game to run on this thing, because their game design is so heavily tied into lighting setup, they'll have to spend serious $$$ just to reach a workaround for it to fit Series S rendering budget. Exhibit #4656565 of a zillion as to why Series S was a colossal mistake, and Microsoft not only knee-capped their bigger console but the entire generation. Their wide and slow approach on Series X SoC was another mistake in hindsight as the yields are really low but I still think they should've just ate the cost and released a $399 all-digital Series X instead of building this PoS.

The GTA6 leaks last year suggested that the budget of the game is $2 billion which I guess makes sense considering they only make one game at a time, have 3,000 developers and have been working on this since shipping rdr2 in 2018. Not to mention the core dev team thats been working on this since 2013. So yes, comparing any game to GTA isnt fair. However, I think if you are taking 5 years to make a sequel like insomniac did, when you are a first party studio with an unlimited budget, and when you have sold 35 million copies of the first game and its DLC then you got to do better than insomniac did.

Their reveal trailer had a way better lighting engine. Way better city level of detail. Way better character models. It was a night and day difference. So it's possible. They just decided to make too many games. Miles, Ratchet, Wolverine, Spiderman 2 instead of just focusing on spiderman 2. Other games with 5 year gap in between sequels like HFW got a bigger boost in fidelity while offering completely new worlds. And they are a smaller studio than insomniac.

Remedy isnt a big studio either. Massive is around 850 people but they are working on two games at once. Both look generation ahead of Spiderman 2. I think each Sony studio just didnt push themselves hard enough. Insomniac couldve worked on getting RTGI in if they didnt want to rebuild all city assets. They couldve improved character models fidelity. Callisto uses volumetric lighting that you saw in the original spiderman 2 trailer to great effect. Again, thats not so much work that you need 3,000 devs to get support for it in your engine. Those are just core tech that doesnt require $2 billion. You need a few artists creating higher quality character models, and the engineering teams working on getting support for RTGI and higher quality volumetric lighting. Five years and a dedicated engineering team should be enough to do this. Other smaller devs like the Callisto guys did it.

I think you will see some stunning looking games at the show tomorrow. They wont rival gTA6 in terms of scale but might even surpass it in visuals. Engines like UE5 have made things so much more easier this time around. Had Insomniac used the UE4 or UE5 engine instead of their own tech, they wouldnt have had to worry about building the core engine blocks for any of this shit. Maybe the fast traversal stuff, but Epic engineers have figured out the rest. You just go in and make the game.

SlimySnake

Saw that too. 60fps game vs 30fps game
They actually have a great pedestrian simulation. Lots and lots of pedestrians everywhere in the city streets. I am just blown away that they didnt bother adding people on the beach. Maybe they ran out of time. I highly doubt its a cpu or 60 fps limitation. Just goes to show how rushed this game truly was. Spiderman 2 deserved better.

They actually have a great pedestrian simulation. Lots and lots of pedestrians everywhere in the city streets. I am just blown away that they didnt bother adding people on the beach. Maybe they ran out of time. I highly doubt its a cpu or 60 fps limitation. Just goes to show how rushed this game truly was. Spiderman 2 deserved better.
I agree. But also Slimy consider man this thing gets like 70fps in unlocked performance mode. It’s not pushing the PS5 and it shows at times like the screenshot (and a lot of other times)

I’m actually on my 2nd playthrough now and it just never screams next Gen to me like demon souls or other games. It’s weird because it feels like rift apart was the A team and this is the B team. I found rift apart to be a much more next Gen showcase

DanielG165

If Avatar was seemingly so middle of the road, I’d have bought it. The graphics look genuinely incredible and current gen in terms of the sheer density, foliage, VFX, and detail. Not to mention, apparently the soundscape is pretty spectacular. Oh well, I’ll wait until it’s on a discount down the road to try it out. I’m honestly burnt out on first person open world games. I love Cyberpunk, don’t get me wrong, but I would have loved for it to have had a 3rd person view like Starfield, just to make things feel less… Claustrophobic? First person open world games just have a weirder sensation than third person open world games do, to me personally.

I wonder if Avatar will have identical resolution targets between SX and PS5 or if one will come out on top. Valhalla ran slightly better on ps5 but Far Cry 6 had slightly better iq on SX. Probably negligible right?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I wonder if Avatar will have identical resolution targets between SX and PS5 or if one will come out on top. Valhalla ran slightly better on ps5 but Far Cry 6 had slightly better iq on SX. Probably negligible right?

Probably. But that won't stop people to argue about 2 frames per second difference for 50 pages in the DF thread.

Another one.

SlimySnake

Alright folks. Avatar is the real deal. What an amazing looking game. The outdoor jungle areas are so packed with detail and different plants and trees, its insane. Great draw distance too. No fog needed.

Lighting is cartoony which is something i don’t like but i love that indoors, outdoors, forest or a fucking vent, game looks fantastic everywhere.

Not quite sure if it looks better than horizon overall but it’s definitely a Gen ahead of rdr2 which i played just before to compare. It is definitely doing draw distance, foliage density, indoor lighting and world design better than horizon but it’s also not as visually striking as horizon which is more in your face with its bright colors and hero lighting on aloy. Still this is arguably the best looking open world ever made. I think people are going to be very impressed even if they don’t think it tops Horizon or cyberpunk.

Love the audio too. Easily the best 3d audio open world yet. You hear everything.

SlimySnake

I agree. But also Slimy consider man this thing gets like 70fps in unlocked performance mode. It’s not pushing the PS5 and it shows at times like the screenshot (and a lot of other times)

I’m actually on my 2nd playthrough now and it just never screams next Gen to me like demon souls or other games. It’s weird because it feels like rift apart was the A team and this is the B team. I found rift apart to be a much more next Gen showcase
It only screamed next Gen to me during those fast traversal setpieces and cutscenes. Other than that, the traffic density, pedestrians variety and density, and ray traced glass buildings looked next gen to me even if they didn’t quite blow me away like the gta6 trailer. Demon souls looks better but Spiderman 2 had more next Gen moments. Spider-Man 2 with Demon souls level of fidelity would beat any game this year.

Not loving how avatar looks at all so far. Nothing compared to the reveal trailer - at least on ps5. Super busy and cheesy art direction - outdated character models. I dunno, Burning Shores looks better.

That's troubling. I knew it wasn't gonna look great as they were hiding console footage AGAIN. They put out a couple official, highly edited "gameplay" trailers on ps5 initially. Then they hold a preview event but only allow PC code to be used while having everyone sign an NDA not to disclose which platform. Finally they make sure that PC review codes are sent out first and only send Ps5/sx codes out right before launch, giving reviewers no time to review it before launch.

I don't know why this practice isn't being called out by anyone. It's BS.

SlimySnake

That's troubling. I knew it wasn't gonna look great as they were hiding console footage AGAIN. They put out a couple official, highly edited "gameplay" trailers on ps5 initially. Then they hold a preview event but only allow PC code to be used while having everyone sign an NDA not to disclose which platform. Finally they make sure that PC review codes are sent out first and only send Ps5/sx codes out right before launch, giving reviewers no time to review it before launch.

I don't know why this practice isn't being called out by anyone. It's BS.
lol the game looks like the PS5 footage revealed at E3 2023. We all knew back then that the game had been downgraded from its 2021 reveal.

PS5 version looks fine from what ive read online. Quality mode is the way to go.

H . R . 2

So RTGI, RT reflections, NO RT Shadows. Looks realtime, not pre-rendered but those tiktok scenes might be pre-rendered. 4k FSR quality so 1440p internal. No RT reflections on large bodies of water. RT reflections have SSR fallbacks.

That last part tells me that the series S version will likely have no RT which also bodes well for a performance mode on the PS5 and XSX. The only question is just how intensive the NPC cpu simulations really are. Its one thing to render all those people in strip clubs and in the beaches, another thing altogether to shoot up the place and have them all react. I remember playing GTA4 DLC episodes on my PC and i was maxing out at 40 fps despite having a pretty decent modern CPU back in 2010 or 2011 and a GPU 8x more powerful than the PS3.
it is highly speculative and until R* announces things themselves it will all be conjecture but I fear the SSR implementation in that lake/river scene with the flamingos as juxtaposed with the RT reflections in the social media scenes might be an indication that RT will only be exclusive to social media footage, if not meaning that they might have been rendered in advance

on a side note though, wouldn't it be great if those previously contextual/incidental encounters were now actually palyable through your phone, but this time from the POV of the people who ecnoutered them?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Saw that too. 60fps game vs 30fps game
Talented devs that push tech forward vs blue haired devs that push woke pandering forward and need to rush games every 2 years, it's not like the 30 fps mode has double the number of npcs...

Btw i tried one hour of avaTAR CRY (merit to a reee dude for the joke) and i must admit that at his best, when you are completely surrounded by vegetation, it actually look better than horizon, maybe not by a large margin, but noticeable enough, i can't tell if it has better assets but just having so much vegetation on screen make it look better, also great artstyle for the alien planet, now if only this vegetation was all destructible like in crysis i would be way more impressed...

The intro indoors was pretty bad graphically tho.

Human models are just ok, the fugly aliens look much better.

Too bad the male voice sound almost exactly like that hear raping chipmunk of miles morales, dude sound like it has 20 points of testosterone at best...

I like the first person view, it make the fugly alien being 10 feet tall much more evident when you are close to human and it has mirror edge light parkor that work better in first person, also it's a plus that i don't have to look at these ugly motherfuckers back all the time :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Talented devs that push tech forward vs blue haired devs that push woke pandering forward and need to rush games every 2 years, it's not like the 30 fps mode has double the number of npcs...

Btw i tried one hour of avaTAR CRY (merit to a reee dude for the joke) and i must admit that at his best, when you are completely surrounded by vegetation, it actually look better than horizon, maybe not by a large margin, but noticeable enough, i can't tell if it has better assets but just having so much vegetation on screen make it look better, also great artstyle for the alien planet, now if only this vegetation was all destructible like in crysis i would be way more impressed...
Its not just the density of vegetation, its also the diversity of it. there are dozens of different plants and tree types in every scene. The trees extend way higher than traditional earth like trees in horizon. The verticality here is what gives it that alien feeling. Something truly original.

Its weird because while HFW is more grounded in the actual world design, the lighting in Avatar is far more grounded where as HFW feels like an alien world with its sharp contrast and vivid color pallete.
In terms of art design, yes it was ugly, but the lighting and shadows made it look super fucking realistic. After the first few rooms, you mostly run through pipes, backwalls and tunnels, and everything is properly lit. It looked like a cross between photorealistic and CG. It gave me hope that other better drawn interiors would look better and after getting to the basecamp, i can confirm its true. Lighting is fantastic there.

Games the usual Ubisoft mediocre seen it all before fare, so count yourself lucky.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Its not just the density of vegetation, its also the diversity of it. there are dozens of different plants and tree types in every scene. The trees extend way higher than traditional earth like trees in horizon. The verticality here is what gives it that alien feeling. Something truly original.

Its weird because while HFW is more grounded in the actual world design, the lighting in Avatar is far more grounded where as HFW feels like an alien world with its sharp contrast and vivid color pallete.

In terms of art design, yes it was ugly, but the lighting and shadows made it look super fucking realistic. After the first few rooms, you mostly run through pipes, backwalls and tunnels, and everything is properly lit. It looked like a cross between photorealistic and CG. It gave me hope that other better drawn interiors would look better and after getting to the basecamp, i can confirm its true. Lighting is fantastic there.
Diversity of vegetation is art design for me.

How detailed the plants are or the quantity they can render is graphic.

Like you say, Horizon is located on earth, you can't have alien plants\trees so it is not a graphic demerit but more a lore reason, i'm pretty sure than guerrilla artists can make all the alien plants they want.

I hope you are not saying what i think you are saying in the bolded part...none of the intro looked photorealistic or cg looking when you are indoor, the awe moment is when you reach outside.

Last edited:

hlm666

The water in the avatar video posted above looks almost as fucked as arks, I can't say what I thought about the rest because it distracted the hell out of me.

raw

Senua

Gold Member
Yea you must have poor eye sight or your TV is a mile away from ya sofa

M1987

Alright folks. Avatar is the real deal. What an amazing looking game. The outdoor jungle areas are so packed with detail and different plants and trees, its insane. Great draw distance too. No fog needed.

Lighting is cartoony which is something i don’t like but i love that indoors, outdoors, forest or a fucking vent, game looks fantastic everywhere.

Not quite sure if it looks better than horizon overall but it’s definitely a Gen ahead of rdr2 which i played just before to compare. It is definitely doing draw distance, foliage density, indoor lighting and world design better than horizon but it’s also not as visually striking as horizon which is more in your face with its bright colors and hero lighting on aloy. Still this is arguably the best looking open world ever made. I think people are going to be very impressed even if they don’t think it tops Horizon or cyberpunk.

Love the audio too. Easily the best 3d audio open world yet. You hear everything.
Are you playing it on the 3080?

SlimySnake

I hope you are not saying what i think you are saying in the bolded part...none of the intro looked photorealistic or cg looking when you are indoor, the awe moment is when you reach outside.
Dude, i just spent 3 weeks playing a corridor shooter. almost beat it three times. I practically have a masters in corridor graphics now. The lighting in those looked like those cherrypicked screenshots midgenrefresh posts of cyberpunk. Especially one with windows. Fantastic GI. Someone had posted a gif of that TLOU2 corridor at the tv station and I pointed out how the corridor just felt flat. Here those corridors felt like they had proper light bounce coming in from the windows.

Lets hope midgenrefresh took some screenshots of that.

Are you playing it on the 3080?
Yes. Extremely seamless experience. Game defaulted the best settings for me. Though it did default FSR quality for me which i changed to dlss. other than that, i didnt have to change a thing. no shader compilation. no stutters. it was like playing a console game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Dude, i just spent 3 weeks playing a corridor shooter. almost beat it three times. I practically have a masters in corridor graphics now. The lighting in those looked like those cherrypicked screenshots midgenrefresh posts of cyberpunk. Especially one with windows. Fantastic GI. Someone had posted a gif of that TLOU2 corridor at the tv station and I pointed out how the corridor just felt flat. Here those corridors felt like they had proper light bounce coming in from the windows.

Lets hope midgenrefresh took some screenshots of that.

Yes. Extremely seamless experience. Game defaulted the best settings for me. Though it did default FSR quality for me which i changed to dlss. other than that, i didnt have to change a thing. no shader compilation. no stutters. it was like playing a console game.
Midgen can take all the pics he want, i played the game with higher settings than you (unless your 3080 is enough to max the game in 4k, which i sincerely doubt after hearing people with 4090 having problems) and it doesn't look photorealistic or cg at all, it look like a decent indoor area at best.

You really want to use pics after you were tricked by robocop pics? Talk the talk and walk the walk dude, you can't shit on cherry picked pics and then use them as a proof.

P.s. you know i don't care for lights and shit, i was talking about assets, just to be clear.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Midgen can take all the pics he want, i played the game with higher settings than you (unless your 3080 is enough to max the game in 4k, which i sincerely doubt after hearing people with 4090 having problems) and it doesn't look photorealistic or cg at all, it look like a decent indoor area at best.

You really want to use pics after you were tricked by robocop pics? Talk the talk and walk the walk dude, you can't shit on cherry picked pics and then use them as a proof.

P.s. you know i don't care for lights and shit, i was talking about assets, just to be clear.
Lol how is it cherry-picking if we are both talking about the same area in the game.

But fine, no screenshots. And yes i was talking about lighting. Asset quality is meh. Better than horizon’s non cauldron interiors for sure in both lighting and assets.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Lol how is it cherry-picking if we are both talking about the same area in the game.

But fine, no screenshots. And yes i was talking about lighting. Asset quality is meh. Better than horizon’s non cauldron interiors for sure in both lighting and assets.
I have no fucking idea how you can consider anything cg when you admit that assets are nothing special...

Cg is not just correct lights, it's also pristine assets, you can't have just one and call it cg looking, unless we are talking about sify channel cg...

Human models are just ok, the fugly aliens look much better.

Too bad the male voice sound almost exactly like that hear raping chipmunk of miles morales, dude sound like it has 20 points of testosterone at best...

I like the first person view, it make the fugly alien being 10 feet tall much more evident when you are close to human and it has mirror edge light parkor that work better in first person, also it's a plus that i don't have to look at these ugly motherfuckers back all the time :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
[/valued.

The intro looks good graphically but has raised blacks which is hurting it. It's nothing too fancy but the lighting is well done thanks to rt.

setoman

They matched sections of the Electric Dreams Unreal Engine demo. Wow.
I remember people saying this wouldn't be done.

Top Bottom