• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRAVITY |OT| - From Director Alfonso Cuarón

kirblar

I suspect this movie is going to have a strong word-of-mouth effect over the next few weeks.
I think you're right. Until under a week ago, I had no plans to see this, but the word-of-mouth/buzz on this one is all over the place now.

It made $55.5m opening weekend, highest October of all-time. 80% of gross was from 3D.

DAT CASH MONEY. makeitrain.gif

Totally deserved in every way. That's WAY higher than initial estimates, right? Weren't they thinking 40?

Doesn't matter. I'll watch this shit over and over. This is my Titanic.

LETSFUCKINGGO

ayeorkean

It was awesome, unfortunately it's one of those movies where buying it for a 3d tv will never do it justice. Really want to see it again.

duckroll

It was awesome, unfortunately it's one of those movies where buying it for a 3d tv will never do it justice. Really want to see it again.

I feel that big premium 3D screens with solid sound systems should consider making Gravity a mainstay event for years to come honestly. Every few months they should just announce more bonus screenings for those who want to experience it again.

Chucker

Saw it in IMAX 3D. Did anybody else feel disoriented? It wasn't a motion sickness feeling, just a floaty awesome disoriented.

People were having trouble standing up afterwards. Glad I saw it in IMAX 3D first, wouldn't have been the same IMO.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay I'll bite. I'd have shown how things happened in Ryan's life to give them more impact to the viewer. This is because I feel a movie fails if you don't care about the characters (this can be a positive or negative caring).

I didn't care about Ryan because I wasn't made to and thus was indifferent to her fate. This is what I mean by a lack of substance...

Thank God you aren't a director, because your idea would have entirely ruined what made the movie work. That would have completely ruined the feel of the film, breaking out of the experience like that.

Wow. I can see this having very strong legs too.

I don't know the math but I imagine 200m is basically a lock at this point.

I don't see how it misses since this time of year is more leggy and the film is adult skewing. 60% of the audience was over age 35 and that's not typically thecrowd that goes on the first weekend relative to other demographics.

Watevaman

So am I right in assuming I'll be able to enjoy this movie in non-3D just as much as the 3D version? It's not something where the 3D is a bit of a crutch for bad sections?

jtb

Banned
I really don't like conflating "more" and "better." There's nothing inherently bad about simplicity (in fact, I'd argue, simplicity can often be a positive), just as there's nothing inherently good about complexity for complexity's sake.

duckroll

I really don't like conflating "more" and "better." There's nothing inherently bad about simplicity (in fact, I'd argue, simplicity can often be a positive), just as there's nothing inherently good about complexity for complexity's sake.

It's the same problem with running time and game completion length really. There's a growing obsession with raw pointless statistics where people start to equate a measurable quantity with actual value and quality. It's quite sad actually.

kswiston

I don't see how it misses since this time of year is more leggy and the film is adult skewing. 60% of the audience was over age 35 and that's not typically thecrowd that goes on the first weekend relative to other demographics.

It's hard to gauge the box office potential for Gravity, since it is also likely to do well during the awards nomination season in a couple months. I could see WB bringing it back in January/February like Argo last year if it is nominated in most major categories. Awards talk will extend the legs of a film that already skews adult. $200M is a good bet right now, but I wouldn't be surprised it this film goes significantly higher than that.

jtb

Banned
It's hard to gauge the box office potential for Gravity, since it is also likely to do well during the awards nomination season in a couple months. I could see WB bringing it back in January/February like Argo last year if it is nominated in most major categories. Awards talk will extend the legs of a film that already skews adult. $200M is a good bet right now, but I wouldn't be surprised it this film goes significantly higher than that.

Do you think it skewing so heavily towards 3D and IMAX could hurt its legs if/when other new releases start moving into those screens? (Not sure what the next big 3D release is though...)

kswiston

Do you think it skewing so heavily towards 3D and IMAX could hurt its legs if/when other new releases start moving into those screens? (Not sure what the next big 3D release is though...)

I don't think that will be an issue until it's fifth weekend when Ender's Game and Free Birds release on Nov 1st. Even with legs, 80-90% of its business will be finished by that point.

EDIT: Also, with this film skewing adult, I could see it sharing 3D screens with family films that won't have much of an audience in showtimes later than 8pm.

DAT CASH MONEY. makeitrain.gif

Totally deserved in every way. That's WAY higher than initial estimates, right? Weren't they thinking 40?

Doesn't matter. I'll watch this shit over and over. This is my Titanic.

LETSFUCKINGGO

Yeah, pretty sure the highest estimates were low 40's.

Zebra

Is cinemark's XD 3D fine for this movie or do I need to go to an actual 3D IMAX theater?

The answer is always 'real 3D IMAX theater.'
Cinemark's XD is a step up from a regular theater to be sure, especially if it has Dolby Atmos, but it's still got nothing on an IMAX screen.

jtb

Banned
This wasn't shot in IMAX. The main appeal is just the extra large screen, but if you don't have one nearby, there's little to no difference between a Liemax and a regular 3D screen.

Ninjimbo

Saw it last night. There's not much I can say that hasn't been said already. I absolutely loved it. Even though it wasn't the film I wanted it to be (I wished for something a little more abstract, more Tarkovskian), what I got was just as good and I can't imagine a more esoteric film leaving me any more satisfied than I already was leaving the theater.

So what are Bullocks' Oscar chances? To me, she's never been better. This is the best performance of her career, undoubtedly. It should be rewarded but I'm afraid that her performance will go unnoticed because movies like Gravity don't get much hype during awards season.

duckroll

This wasn't shot in IMAX. The main appeal is just the extra large screen, but if you don't have one nearby, there's little to no difference between a Liemax and a regular 3D screen.

You know what's really surprising? It wasn't shot in 3D either. Amazing what 2+ years spent on conversion and post-production can do.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Saw it last night. There's not much I can say that hasn't been said already. I absolutely loved it. Even though it wasn't the film I wanted it to be (I wished for something a little more abstract, more Tarkovskian), what I got was just as good and I can't imagine a more esoteric film leaving me any more satisfied than I already was leaving the theater.

So what are Bullocks' Oscar chances? To me, she's never been better. This is the best performance of her career, undoubtedly. It should be rewarded but I'm afraid that her performance will go unnoticed because movies like Gravity don't get much hype during awards season.
Gravity will get a ton of hype over Oscar season. Bullock's only competition for Best Actress is Cate Blanchett. The Best Picture race will be a tight one between Gravity and 12 Years a Slave.

Zebra

The degree to which a real IMAX screen dominates my field of view makes it more worthwhile than a Liemax to me, even with traditionally shot films getting blown up on an IMAX screen.

kswiston

Gravity will get a ton of hype over Oscar season. Bullock's only competition for Best Actress is Cate Blanchett. The Best Picture race will be a tight one between Gravity and 12 Years a Slave.

12 Years a Slave will win. It's got all the makings of Academy Kryptonite. Gravity will be awarded cinematography, visual effects, and other technical categories as a consolation.

Ninjimbo

I don't know how I feel about the Best Picture race right now. I don't have any problems with Gravity getting a nomination though.

So it might end up Blanchett vs. Bullock for Best Actress? That's tough for me. I'm a huge fan of both.

Ceebs

12 Years a Slave will win. It's got all the makings of Academy Kryptonite. Gravity will be awarded cinematography, visual effects, and other technical categories as a consolation.

I could see a win for director as well, much like Ang Lee last year.

VARIA

This was a fun theater experience. I didn't care about the simple plot since the movie was making me feel more exhilirated, tense, and wowed at every turn with it's jaw dropping visuals and edge of your seat pacing than any other film has in recent memory.

I saw it in Cinerama Dome in 3D and it's one of the rare occasions where 3D enhances the experience to the point of actually feeling like you're right there.

It's my pick so far for movie of the year.

Top Bottom