• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRAVITY |OT| - From Director Alfonso Cuarón

duckroll

"Too bad Gravity’s fanboy audience is conveniently ignorant of richer space dramas like Walter Hill’s sexy-scary Supernova and Brian DePalma’s Mission to Mars (remember that astoundingly witty Ennio Morricone score?) which entertainingly combined psychological and visionary pondering with sci-fi agape."

I think Mr White has outdone himself this time.

UrbanRats

Lol, Mission to Mars.
I mean it's one of those movies i tend to watch if it's on TV (just because it's in space) but c'mon, that movie is cheesy as fuck.

Blizzard

Banned
I was curious so I googled around for what astronauts wear under space suits.

The MAG (Maximum Absorbency Garment), a diaper, looks like it is normally used for both male and female astronauts now...though that might only be for going into or out of orbit. I'm not certain whether it's used for extra-vehicular activity.

nasamagjikkl.jpg

This video has a lot of information in the description so hopefully it is fairly accurate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmUCsoK5x2M

It looks like there is a full bodysuit under the spacesuit, which makes more sense to me than the underwear and bra/t-shirt Sandra Bullock wore. Which presumably means that, despite the space consultation or whatever they did, those sequences were indeed probably just intended for audience titillation, unless they also served a symbolic purpose or something. I enjoyed them, CGI or not, but they did seem kind of shoehorned in. :p

Which presumably means that, despite the space consultation or whatever they did, those sequences were indeed probably just intended for audience titillation
Either way, you're not going to want to wear baggy clothes under a space suit. There's not enough room. It wouldn't make sense for her to pull of the space suit and be in a t-shirt and jeans.

Blizzard

Banned
Either way, you're not going to want to wear baggy clothes under a space suit. There's not enough room. It wouldn't make sense for her to pull of the space suit and be in a t-shirt and jeans.
Who said anything about baggy clothes? The video has a bodysuit and mentioned the MAG and possibly long johns (not sure if these are in addition to normal pants).

Saw the movie on Friday. Completely blown away. I was literally on the edge of my seat the whole time.

I really hope this movie ignites the trend of no more damn shaky cam, I absolutely loathe that film technique and its overblown use as of late.

Who said anything about baggy clothes? The video has a bodysuit and mentioned the MAG and possibly long johns (not sure if these are in addition to normal pants).
You said it's there for eye-candy, but she wouldn't wearing baggy clothes under a space suit, so it's not that.

Scarecrow

I remember being bummed when I heard Clooney was replacing RDJ as leading man, but I just can't imagine he'd do better than what we got with his replacement. So good.

Fun fact: the theater chain I work for got an email from WB last week saying that at least 75% of our Gravity shows have to be in 3D. Normally I'd be pissed at such a demand, but for this movie I'm glad they're going hard with the effect.

Blizzard

Banned
You said it's there for eye-candy, but she wouldn't wearing baggy clothes under a space suit, so it's not that.
I apologize if I am just confused...maybe I'm missing something?

I'm saying it's for eye candy but I did not mention baggy clothes.

I'm suggesting it's for eye candy because, aside from the other stuff where the movie presumably was intended to imitate current astronaut stuff (http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/10/poking-holes-in-the-gravity-trailer-with-nasas-help/), Sandra Bullock didn't follow the real life diaper + bodysuit pattern, and instead had what looked like underwear + a t-shirt. The t-shirt may be realistic, but I didn't feel like the rest of the suit was (per the links I posted earlier), especially considering how the camera kept doing shots focused on her legs, or aimed over her butt.

I was curious and that's why I did the research, so if someone can find an example of a female astronaut wearing something similar to her, by all means enlighten me. =P I don't think it's a big deal, just something that seemed fairly obvious eye candy to me, and not really necessary except to draw attention. Judging from some of the comments in this thread, and my own appreciation of it, it worked in that regard.

I don't want to derail the thread further though, so if anyone wants to discuss astronaut suits more we should probably take it to PM.

survivor

Banned
Amazing film. Some of these scenes are so breathtaking and memorable, I haven't been blown away by a movie's visuals in a long time.

Does it all have to be 1:1 real? A lot of suspension of disbelief was required for this film, that's fine

Besides the way she was dressed brought back images of Ripley in the alien movies more than anything else. Maybe it was for eye candy but I felt like it was an alien homage

Does it all have to be 1:1 real? A lot of suspension of disbelief was required for this film, that's fine

Besides the way she was dressed brought back images of Ripley in the alien movies more than anything else. Maybe it was for eye candy but I felt like it was an alien homage

I don't think it was eye candy cause it wouldn't make much sense to wear to wear non-skin-tight clothes in a space suit. I like the idea of an alien homage.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I just saw it for the second time, this time I took my brother and my mom to see it too. I liked it even more this time around. I really can't wait to buy this on blu-ray and pause all over the place just to take in the scenery, such a beautiful movie. The theater was kind of packed too, very good sized crowd.

I think I'll see this a third time on the big screen yet. Definitely a theater kind of movie, if there ever was one.

I've lovedddd Alfonso Cuaron ever since Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and "Gravity" was amazing. I've always hated Sandra Bullock and her acting was perfect in this movie. The visual effects, the pacing, the acting, the cinematography and the direction are all perfect.

Everyone should watch it

Roubjon

I saw it today in IMAX 3D and it was fantastic. It felt like I was in the theater for only 10 minutes, the whole thing was paced so perfectly.

This movie was pretty good. My girlfriend thought it was a complete piece of shit. She even said the effects weren't that great. I agree with her on that one for the scene with
the dead guy with a whole through his face
. That looked fake as shit. Gotta say, this movie does not deserve the ratings it is getting. Just my opinion, but it was pretty good overall.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I thought this movie was extremely boring and I was really disappointed. I saw 98% on rotten tomato and thought wow, this movie must be awesome. I am not a Sandra bullock fan at all and I thought this movie was just fucking boring. All she does is panic most of the movie (I understand it's a fucked situation she is in but it's seriously an hour and a half of her breathing hard and panicking). George Clooney played himself as always (but it worked well in this movie I thought, he has more personality than the main character). The visuals were fucking awesome! 3d was awesome and sound was great (silence of space mixed with a cool score). Sandra Bullock is just boring as a main character and to be honest, in the end I could give a fuck if she died or survived. Very disappointed but I see that I am in the minority opinion when it comes to this movie.

I was just about to say, Gravity seems to have one of the most "the movie is indeed great" consensus on GAF, maybe in history, maybe top 10 in that category. Then these two bozos come in here with their opinions and what not(just kidding).

It's visuals are crazy. I'll say it again, I didn't think a space movie so soon after Prometheus would take a shit on it visually.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, that was the first thing I thought of.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

"Too bad Gravity’s fanboy audience is conveniently ignorant of richer space dramas like Walter Hill’s sexy-scary Supernova and Brian DePalma’s Mission to Mars (remember that astoundingly witty Ennio Morricone score?) which entertainingly combined psychological and visionary pondering with sci-fi agape."

I think Mr White has outdone himself this time.

Damnit duckroll, I was just going to quote that. lol

jtb

Banned
Shiiit. I am sorry fellow gaffer. But I cannot fathom why you'd think that.

I didn't mean to come across as hostile or anything lol. I think Prometheus a very well shot film, I just don't think it's quite on the level as, say, a movie shot by Deakins. And how ridiculously beautiful and impressive the Tree of Life and Children of Men were, I had faith in Lubezki.

Saw it today in 3D and this was the first time ever where 3D was totally justified and where I felt I should have watched in IMAX. What an amazing and beautiful movie. Wish it was longer
(wish Clooney had stayed on for a bit longer and the outside space takes were longer)
. The outside space scenes were just so well done...man I had goose bumps.

I never say this for any movie but I will probably go see it again in IMAX. Just wow!

Aselith

Jesus fucking Christ, you guys. I left Gravity and the only thing I wanted to do is go watch it again. That movie is pitch perfect.

Korey

I'm disappointed I didn't watch this in 3D and/or Imax on my first watch (because from past experience, 3D sucks)

Do you think it's worth watching it a second time for the 3D?

Aselith

I'm disappointed I didn't watch this in 3D and/or Imax on my first watch (because from past experience, 3D sucks)

Oh god, yes. Cuaron uses a light touch that is not showy but 3D adds a lot to the fidelity and atmosphere of the movie in my opinion. Again, my opinion but not liking 3D I think this movie singlehandedly justifies the techology. Synergizes perfectly with the story being told here.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I think most agree that it's the best 3d they've seen.

Dead

well not really...yet
Most amazing part is the 3d was converted.

Clearly the movie was conceptualized and designed with 3d on mind, but yeah the quality was phenomenal for a conversion effort.

duckroll

Clearly the movie was conceptualized and designed with 3d on mind, but yeah the quality was phenomenal for a conversion effort.

Apparently it took 2-3 years for post-production. Lol.

BTM

Just got back from it and it was fantastic. Will hopefully convince my roommates to go see it so I can experience it again. I just wish there was an imax in my city. Oh well.

Alphahawk

I wanted to see it in 2D since most 3D is crap, but my dad wanted to see it in 3D so I did and damn...

That is the way to see it. I feel if I watched it in 2D it would of been missing something. Just watching random space debrif fly around your face while Clooney and Bullock are talking really adds a lot to the experience.

Loved the camera work also.

Eh..

It was authored in 3D like most animated films. Outside of Clooney and Bullock's faces, most everything else has been created in 3D. I'd say it's about 25% converted sources at the most, whilst everything else was created in native 3D.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Saw this in imax 3d last night. LOVED it. About to see it for a second time in about 10 minutes. RPX with dolby atmos! Cant freaking waitttttttt omgggg!

Top Bottom