• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRAVITY |OT| - From Director Alfonso Cuarón

taoofjord

Just got back. It was truly amazing and I echo what seems to be the common sentiment that the only thing lacking is the story. It's not bad but it's not on the same level of quality and inventiveness of the rest of the film. And damn are the visuals amazing...

D23

Just got back. HoLy. Fucking. Shit

Wow
Wowwowowowow

I'm a space junkie so Im really blown away by this masterpiece

ezekial45

Banned
Oh fuck, the Gravity TV spot is using Surface of the Sun.

It's so appropriate. It put me right in the mood. Oh God, I can't wait for this movie tomorrow.

Could you imagine if Cuaron had shot this thing in HFR?

I could legit shit my pants with how real that would feel.

The movie felt extremely real to me, so I don't know if I would be able to handle that.

DO NOT READ THE THIRD POST DOWN FROM THIS ONE

border

Could you imagine if Cuaron had shot this thing in HFR?

I could legit shit my pants with how real that would feel.

Yeah -- and unlike The Hobbit, HFR would have felt totally appropriate and it never would have taken me out of the movie.

I liked the 3D, but it still looks blurry and ghosty unless it's HFR.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I felt like it was too dramatic and Hollywoodish at times. I didnt mind that with movies like Into Darkness and Pacific Rim because those were drama from the get-go, but this movie gave the impression at first thay it was going to be a realistic thrill ride. I think it also went on 30 minutes too long, even though it was probably average or below average length in its current state.

But dont get me wrong, amazing movie and better than most rides at any theme park. The sound design sold it.

DO NOT READ THE POST ABOVE THIS BORDER DUN FUCKED UP

Holy fuck border you fucked up big. Edit edit edit edit edit.

border

Failed to close the spoiler tag -- sorry folks! I will hit "Preview Post" next time before switching tabs. Kudos to the moderator that was able to delete my post even though it's 3AM -- sorry if I spoiled you.

Anyway, here is a VERY SPOILERY review from another Astronaut, Marsha Ivins: http://ideas.time.com/2013/10/02/astronaut-gravity-gets-me-down/

"When Sandra Bullock’s character at last lands in the water, she violates a very basic rule of survival and immediately flings open the hatch of what appeared to be a non-leaking capsule, flooding the vehicle and nearly drowning herself. But after she fought for life and breath in space, alone, I can see her finally getting to Earth—mother air-rich Earth—and having to open the hatch or die trying. I can actually see that."

Did she not understand that the capsule is on fire, and if Bullock doesn't open the hatch she is very quickly going to suffocate due to smoke inhalation?

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow, that was pretty stunning.

Really suspenseful, great performances, excellent score...

But...the cinematography...just incredible, and the 3D was nothing short of sublime, I couldn't imagine seeing the film any other way (there was also 0 ghosting or blur in my theater, it was a flawless presentation).

Wow, that was pretty stunning.

Really suspenseful, great performances, excellent score...

But...the cinematography...just incredible, and the 3D was nothing short of sublime, I couldn't imagine seeing the film any other way (there was also 0 ghosting or blur in my theater, it was a flawless presentation).

Yup. Same here!

This might sound silly, but it has been a very long time since I have felt any sort of excitement for any movie out there.. (almost every major movie within the last 10 years has seemed mediocre at best to me) But I actually am excited for this one, even though it is a very hard movie concept to pull of successfully. This is an unique idea that could really be (if done really well) a horrifying (in a good way) experience.

I'm pretty sure I'll go watch it and from what I have heard based on the reviews, I should like it a lot.

border

I don't think it's all in the theater or presentation. I saw Gravity on IMAX 3D, and for the first time noticed that you can get blurring or ghosting if you just cock your head in a slightly different direction.

Dead

well not really...yet
What kind of IMAX?

Regular IMAX is usually the only theater that I see ghosting in 3D films.

Digital Imax theaters, or digital ones (most of the ones here use Sony projectors)...I pretty much never experience ghosting of any kind.

Draconian

Man, this movie was just intense. Some of the shots were just nuts and I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and stressed out about some of the sequences unfolding. That's a great thing though. I just hope we don't have to wait another 7 years for a new Cuaron film. I have to admit, Sandra Bullock was way better in this movie than I had anticipated. I think the biggest accomplishment of the film is that it nails that feeling of hopelessness when things go wrong in space. I think Alien does this in a similar way when havoc is going on aboard certain parts of the ship, and then the scene changes to a different part of the ship where everything is completely calm. A lot of the struggle there and in this movie is that even if you do manage to prolong your immediate survival, it's still a long, long way home. Anyway, Cuaron and Lubezki both deserve a round of applause for making this movie work. I enjoyed it immensely and will see it again soon.

border

I saw it on true-IMAX, with 3D. I can't say whether it was digital or celluloid though -- the theater does not advertise itself as digital, but the screen is true IMAX size and aspect ratio.

For other movies though, I've noticed blur and ghosting even when watching movies that were advertised as digital. Prometheus on Cinemark's XD system jumps to mind pretty quickly. The only time the ghosting ever went away was for Hobbit HFR.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Saw this in IMAX 3D and what a tense, exhilarating, visceral experience. The 3D was great. I caught myself flinching at stuff coming at me, and I felt this was a movie where the 3D elevated the experience even more.

I'm such a big fan of Cuaron's work, and I knew he would deliver. Now i hate myself even more for missing an early screening of this film months ago.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Oh fuck, the Gravity TV spot is using Surface of the Sun.

It's so appropriate. It put me right in the mood. Oh God, I can't wait for this movie tomorrow.

Yeah, I love the music from Sunshine, fits here very well. Now I want to watch Sunshine, lol.

But no, I'm seeing Gravity in about 12 hours!!!!!!!!

Less than 12 hours to go!! EEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Haven't been this excited since before seeing Pacific Rim. The Mexican filmmakers are killing it this year!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Saw it. Jaw dropping cinematography and audio work. Visually one of the best big screen movies I've seen in a long time. Amazing sense of scale and the passage of time from the long shots, as well as loneliness and danger of existing in a place like an empty vacuum. It's shot in such a way that nothingness becomes incredibly daunting and scary.

Story is only okay. Bullock is absolutely fine. Clooney is Clooney as he always is. But the dialogue routinely swaps between grounded, moving monologues and conversation, and pretty damn cheesy and transparent one-liners, jokes, and tacky dialogue. I never felt it was enough to diminish the quality of the film in a significant way, but it seemed really at odds with the otherwise grounded, minimalist, and generally realistic premise.

It's an incredible film in everything you see and the ambience you hear. An awesome film when a grounded human drama. But only an okay film when it's hamming it up.

Came here to ask whether to 3D this or not. Guess I have my answer. :) I'm still a current-gen 3D virgin, so I'm hesitant, but I'll do it...

Saw it. Jaw dropping cinematography and audio work. Visually one of the best big screen movies I've seen in a long time. Amazing sense of scale and the passage of time from the long shots, as well as loneliness and danger of existing in a place like an empty vacuum. It's shot in such a way that nothingness becomes incredibly daunting and scary.

Story is only okay. Bullock is absolutely fine. Clooney is Clooney as he always is. But the dialogue routinely swaps between grounded, moving monologues and conversation, and pretty damn cheesy and transparent one-liners, jokes, and tacky dialogue. I never felt it was enough to diminish the quality of the film in a significant way, but it seemed really at odds with the otherwise grounded, minimalist, and generally realistic premise.

It's an incredible film in everything you see and the ambience you hear. An awesome film when a grounded human drama. But only an okay film when it's hamming it up.

Thanks for your impressions!

Seeing it today at 1pm!

Klyka

Banned
Saw it yesterday, a really fantastic experience.

Only thing that was ridiculous was the worst and most stupid scene in the entire movie. I am sure pretty much all of you will agree with me when I say that the scene where
Sandra Bullock ever so slowly assumes a fetal position in front of a window with the sun in the background while some cables form an umbilical cord directly to her belly button
was seriously dumb, useless, way too long and again DUMB.
It was literally "MUH SYMLBOLISM" for idiots.

Sec0nd

I have to be honest, I barely noticed any 3D. It didn't bother me at all but it was also just barely present.

Klyka

Banned
I have to be honest, I barely noticed any 3D. It didn't bother me at all but it was also just barely present.

This was the only 3D film that actually got me to react. I actually flinched when the debris shot straight at me.

AlexSmash

dialogue and charakters are nothing but tools.
watch this at the cinema as long as you can. this movie lives from its audio and video presentation. the sound design is incredible!

Just got back. I was a bit let down, but then I think I let my expectations get right out of check. I can normally be quite forgiving of weak dialogue or a lack of rich subtext in film - I'm all about the "experience" (I like deep shit, but if you've got colourful strobing lights and a good soundtrack, I'm perfectly satisfied). But in the end, I'd concur with those that wished they'd stuck with the more grounded/somber tone it does exhibit at times, rather than the melodrama and monologues.

That said, it was still a technical marvel. Well worth seeing in 3D on a fuck-off scale screen.

Technically impressive sci-fi thrill ride filmmaking with cheesy dialog and archetypical characters?

This really is a James Cameron movie

Saw it yesterday, a really fantastic experience.

Only thing that was ridiculous was the worst and most stupid scene in the entire movie. I am sure pretty much all of you will agree with me when I say that the scene where
Sandra Bullock ever so slowly assumes a fetal position in front of a window with the sun in the background while some cables form an umbilical cord directly to her belly button
was seriously dumb, useless, way too long and again DUMB.
It was literally "MUH SYMLBOLISM" for idiots.

It really wasn't that long or bad. Talk about over exaggeration.

What an amazing film. Best sound design ever. I don't even know how Cuaron did it. The action scenes were absolutely phenomenal. What a jaw droppingly beautiful movie. The dialogue was hokey but who cares, there wasn't much of it. Beats out Before Midnight for my film of the year so far.

What an amazing film. Best sound design ever. I don't even know how Cuaron did it. The action scenes were absolutely phenomenal. What a jaw droppingly beautiful movie. The dialogue was hokey but who cares, there wasn't much of it. Beats out Before Midnight for my film of the year so far.

Better than La Jetée? I'll wait until I see it to believe. That film has the best sound design I've ever heard.

UberTag

My top 5 is currently:

1) Gravity
2) Before Midnight
3) Fruitvale Station
4) Blue is the Warmest Color
5) Philomena

Hoping I'll find one or two more flicks that break into the Top 5 before the year is out (and yeah, I have seen 12 Years a Slave already; it's outside of my Top 10).

ijm72

Saw it last night in IMAX 3D and its easily my favorite movie of the year. It was an amazing experience that made me feel like I was in space the whole. Visually this movie is a work of art not to mention the audio which was incredible. This year has been a disappointment in terms of movies so I am glad that it not only lived up to the hype but that it surpassed it. I can't wait to watch it again this weekend to relive the whole experience.

Top Bottom