• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRAVITY |OT| - From Director Alfonso Cuarón

UberTag

Haha, this guy. 3D is a blight that in it's best incarnation can be said to not distract from the film. Fortunately it wasn't too bad here, but it certainly didn't add anything to the experience.
Have you heard about Nintendo's new portable system? The 2DS. It's right up your alley!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Here starts the story spoilers I guess

So yeah...basically Armaggeddon is more probable than that film...I still enjoyed Gravity more than Armaggeddon but still.

I mean.. they have a hubble repair mission on the same day as the Russians start shooting satellites AND also right before the Chineese station is due to fall back down in the atmosphere... Also everything happen to be withing 100miles of each other? lol

Other than that they kind of ruin it by having the obligatory happy ending.

I dunno, it was still kind of fun roller coaster ride and like I said, technically the film is really well made
There was one
script error where Kawalski said the Chinese station was 100 miles away while Scott said the station was 100 kilometers away.
Although maybe that was her brain playing tricks on her since she was probably breathing on fumes by then. :p

I guess another weird thing is that I always assumed that Hubble, assuming it's still doing its thing, was in a much higher orbit than the ISS, so they wouldn't really be anywhere near each other.

As for the Chinese station de-orbiting, I just assumed that it was already hit at least once by the orbiting shrapnel death cloud earlier. lol

iammeiam

I was honestly really impressed by how not in-your-face the 3D in the movie was. I can't see 3D, so watch 3D movies in 2D, but there are usually points in movies scripted to shove the 3D in your face. Gravity, despite being created with 3D, didn't really have any of those. The person I was with thought the 3D was gratuitous when
the tears were floating around towards the end
but it made sense to me in 2D and didn't feel like a "LOOK AT MY DIMENSIONS AREN'T THEY GREAT" moment.

So at the very absolute worst, the 3D in the movie didn't disrupt the 2D viewing experience.

Megasoum

Banned
There was one
script error where Kawalski said the Chinese station was 100 miles away while Scott said the station was 100 kilometers away.
Although maybe that was her brain playing tricks on her since she was probably breathing on fumes by then. :p

I guess another weird thing is that I always assumed that Hubble, assuming it's still doing its thing, was in a much higher orbit than the ISS, so they wouldn't really be anywhere near each other.

As for the Chinese station de-orbiting, I just assumed that it was already hit at least once by the orbiting shrapnel death cloud earlier. lol
Yeah I noticed the km/miles thing too.

True about the Hubble orbit vs the ISS orbit

And yeah good point about the Chinese station, didn't think about that... but of course that means that hubble, the ISS AND the Chinese were all exactly on the same orbit lol

Nonspecific spoilers:
I didn't like the spiritual turn it takes near the end. That's something that bothered me lately, in a few different stories... The way characters suddenly have things improve for them when they pray or connect to a higher power or whatever. That is too easy.
Was that, though?
I just thought that was her close to death and the answer came to her through a hallucination.

Merino

Fuck me that was amazing.

This is only the second 3d movie I've ever seen (after Hobbit 3D HFR) but I doubt any movie can rival the 3d cinematography in this one.

How the hell did they do this?

Show this movie to anyone who is not westernized/globalized and he/she will think this was all real filmed by actors in space with an actual camera floating around in space.

What a cinematographic achievement. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Wag

Me and 3 friends decided to go to the local IMAX theater to see Gravity tonight on a whim and all shows were sold out! Have to wait until Sun night to see it.:(

FrsDvl

I need to see this, like right now. My girlfriend doesn't want to come see it cause she doesn't like Sandra Bullock... How can I convince her to come see it. Telling her how good it's supposed to be doesn't seem tondo the trick...

Merino

My top 5 is currently:

1) Gravity
2) Before Midnight
3) Fruitvale Station
4) Blue is the Warmest Color
5) Philomena

Hoping I'll find one or two more flicks that break into the Top 5 before the year is out (and yeah, I have seen 12 Years a Slave already; it's outside of my Top 10).
And there's the difficulty in ranking movies.

Sure Gravity is the prime cinematographic achievement of the year, and probably the most interesting cinematographic movie in years.

However Before Midnight clearly has the stronger, way, way, stronger story and dialogue of the two. So good that it is one of the most realistic and pure representation of the struggles of love ever shown in the cinema.

So what ranks more important. Which is the more worthy achievement.

I'm still sticking with Before Midnight because in it's entirety it's more complete and perfect than Gravity is.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Just came back from the theater.

First of all I want ot say that both the visuals and the audio are amazing. Totally worth the 20$ IMAX 3D ticket (ugh...).

Other than that tho... meh... Really wasn't impressed.

Disclaimer, I'm a HUUUUGE Space program/NASA fanatic so that movie pretty much lost me after 30min...I know I should just suspend my disbelief and enjoy the movie but as much as I tried, I couldn't do it.

Here starts the story spoilers I guess

So yeah...basically Armaggeddon is more probable than that film...I still enjoyed Gravity more than Armaggeddon but still.

I mean.. they have a hubble repair mission on the same day as the Russians start shooting satellites AND also right before the Chineese station is due to fall back down in the atmosphere... Also everything happen to be withing 100miles of each other? lol

Other than that they kind of ruin it by having the obligatory happy ending.

I dunno, it was still kind of fun roller coaster ride and like I said, technically the film is really well made

So yeah... I have a feeling that this is the kind of movie that the more I will think about it in the next couple of days the more I will actually like it but right now, first impression is not very good.

Still totally worth seeing it in IMAX 3D tho.

happy endings are a bad thing? Unrealism might not be for everyone but I doubt very few people actively enjoy sad endings, especially if they lack any point.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I need to see this, like right now. My girlfriend doesn't want to come see it cause she doesn't like Sandra Bullock... How can I convince her to come see it. Telling her how good it's supposed to be doesn't seem tondo the trick...
She's doesn't have much to do acting-wise, so if that's the hang up, at least there's that. It's not going to be Blind Side Bullock.

jtb

Banned
wow. That was really really impressive. Everything about it, especially the technical side of it, was just so incredible. Never once did it even cross my mind that I was watching CG. Lubezki and Cuaron are gods.

and fwiw, I did like the more.... mythic approach Cuaron took to the plot and characters. Heavy handed and needless? Sure. But even if I didn't like it (and I do... not as much as I loved the rest of the movie, but I did like it), I still recognize it's a necessary evil for getting a film like this greenlighted. And I think that he committed to and executed that conciet well enough that it didn't bother me, even if I think the film could've been even greater by playing it completely straight. But I did think the shot of Ryan
in the fetal position
was great; my friend didn't though and I can definitely see where he's coming from.

Oh and the sound design. Holy shit.

Just got back from seeing it again. Was supposed to go with a date, but she went to the wrong theater. *eyeroll*

Whatever though. THIS IS THE GOOD STUFFS

Not in Toronto. The one true IMAX screen here is doing some Metallica thing, so I had to see it in a normal theater. I'm never paying for liemax again.

Pay for it punk. This wasn't shot in IMAX so it didn't really matter.

Saw it in 3-D. Don't buy into the '3-D is the definitive version' hype.

The film was/is amazing, but not because of this gimmick, which was as shitty as it's always been.

S my 3D D :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The scotiabank one isn't true? That's where I saw it.
It is. Maybe the earlier screening I selected was the Metallica thing. Oh well. lol
(I wanted to watch it in the afternoon to avoid the crowds).

Pay for it punk. This wasn't shot in IMAX so it didn't really matter.
I may watch it again, but I felt so ripped off by the concept of LieMAX that I simply can't support that format with my money. They shouldn't be allowed to use the IMAX name for those theaters - it just cheapens the brand.

jtb

Banned
I don't mind Liemaxes. They're usually like a dollar more than the 3D surcharge so on the rare occasion I do see a 3D movie, depending on the movie and the showtimes I don't mind paying an extra dollar.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't mind Liemaxes. They're usually like a dollar more than the 3D surcharge so on the rare occasion I do see a 3D movie, depending on the movie and the showtimes I don't mind paying an extra dollar.
Here it's like 4 bucks extra. But even then, it's not really the money, but just the principal of the thing.
It's like paying 6 bucks for a cup of coffee and it turns out that they're just using Folgers.

Dead

well not really...yet
Saw it in 3-D. Don't buy into the '3-D is the definitive version' hype.

The film was/is amazing, but not because of this gimmick, which was as shitty as it's always been.
If this was a just world, this movie would not even have been released in 2D.

Red

Here it's like 4 bucks extra. But even then, it's not really the money, but just the principal of the thing.
It's like paying 6 bucks for a cup of coffee and it turns out that they're just using Folgers.
I saw it in lieMAX and have no regrets. Cost might sting but it's still better than a traditional screen, especially in 3D.

Just got back from seeing it, and wow...that was fucking intense. Amazing movie, incredible special effects, just breath taking really. Saw it in IMAX 3d here in king of Prussia! A true IMAX. Sound, like others have said was amazing! I can't recommend it enough.

Merino

Still getting my head around what I just witnessed. What a trip this was and what an achievement it must have been to get this on screen in this form.

Amazing and mind blowing. I count myself fortunate for having experienced this.

Oh and that 17 minute opening scene! My god I love single long takes. First a 13 minute shot in Before Midnight and now this. Observational Cinema for the win :D

Blader

Just saw it. Great rollercoaster ride. CGI was unbelievable. Tracking shots were really impressive too. 3D was fine. Bullock and Clooney were rather good. Story and themes were pretty on-the-nose but that didn't bother me.

Awesome spectacle, best blockbuster of the year that isn't The World's End.

Just got back from seeing it, and wow...that was fucking intense. Amazing movie, incredible special effects, just breath taking really. Saw it in IMAX 3d here in king of Prussia! A true IMAX. Sound, like others have said was amazing! I can't recommend it enough.

Yeahhh buddy. DAT KOP IMAX o/

Still getting my head around what I just witnessed. What a trip this was and what an achievement it must have been to get this on screen in this form.

Amazing and mind blowing. I count myself fortunate for having experienced this.

Oh and that 17 minute opening scene! My god I love single long takes. First a 13 minute shot in Before Midnight and now this. Observational Cinema for the win :D

Dat open. Gawddamn. I can't WAIT to see Before Midnight too since they're both pretty clearly the top two movies of the year at this point.

My good friend who lives in another state left me a voicemail raving about what he just saw....cant wait to see it sunday with my lady. His only disappointment......He just sort of forgot to smoke some weed before going. He told me get high as hell and enjoy being in outerspace!

Red

The more I think about it the more frustrated i am the script forced this into being an overwrought metaphor about the fear of letting go.

I wanted more. The characters fell flat to me. The emotional change was not believable. There were only a handful of convenient plot moments but they were all too obvious.

The posts about how Sandra Bullock looked remind me I must be looking for different things out of this than you guys.

It works as a tense action thriller, maybe a little smarter than your typical blockbuster, but still pretty dumb.

Koodo

Banned
This is easily the best movie of the year so far, and will probably remain that way.

What a masterpiece. Every aspect of the movie just left me slain.

... well, the 3D was disposable, but that can be overlooked.

Mollymauk

For those that have seen it, how hard of a PG-13 is it? Could a 9 year old handle it? My daughter loves space and astronomy.

For those that have seen it, how hard of a PG-13 is it? Could a 9 year old handle it? My daughter loves space and astronomy.

Absolutely not. This is a HARD goddamn PG-13.

GRAVITY SPOILERS IN TERMS OF THE WORST PARTS

You see someone's face after they've been hit with the debris, basically leaving him without the center of his face

You see dead bodies floating around in space

Bullock curses a ton

And it's a -very- tense movie. It'd be unwise to take your kiddie, at least for now.

Scarecrow

The more I think about it the more frustrated i am the script forced this into being an overwrought metaphor about the fear of letting go.

I wanted more. The characters fell flat to me. The emotional change was not believable. There were only a handful of convenient plot moments but they were all too obvious.

The posts about how Sandra Bullock looked remind me I must be looking for different things out of this than you guys.

It works as a tense action thriller, maybe a little smarter than your typical blockbuster, but still pretty dumb.

Yeah, the callbacks near the end felt forced to me. Other than that, I liked how all the characters were turning out.

Every bit as intense and fun as I was hoping. Fantastic in 3D, too...maybe the most impressive one since or better than Avatar for overall effect.

nick nacc

Banned
This movie was very emotional for me in many parts. I welled up in the following scenes
1. Sandra talking about her daughters death.
2. Sandra in fetal position for like 3 minutes
3. The shot of Clooney slowly and calmly drifting away.
4. Her talking about how scared she is knowing that is going to die TODAY. That hit me.
5. The INSANELY GOOSE BUMP inducing ending score as she reenters earths atmosphere. Just wow.

DiddyBop

Got back from seeing this awhile ago. It's the kind of movie you need to see in the big screen to really appreciate all it's parts. Saw it in ultraAVX 3d which has 7.1 surround sound and my goodness the audio/visuals of this film was incredible. Really felt like this was shot in space honestly.

The score was equally amazing and really stood out. I do t usually notice a film's score but it was suited perfectly for this film. Especially at the end. Chills man, chills

Top Bottom