• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greatest Callbacks to Earlier Games in Series? (Spoilers Inside)

Thewonandonly

I love the surprise visit to former areas like the mentioned Ishimura and MGS4. Liked it in Borderlands 2 when you find yourself in Fyrestone again.
Yep borderlands 2 for me. Didn't expect it and it hit me hard after putting about 3 years of my childhood into that game haha.

Dimmle

Mother
fucking
The setting stands in stark contrast to Earthbound until the game begins to disseminate small, ominous details that directly and indirectly reference elements and characters from the previous game with increasing frequency. Then it all culminates in Chapter 7's amazing series climax with Pokey. It's an unusually grim and particularly well-earned instance of fan service. There's even a fun boat ride.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
In Castlevania: Symphony of the Night when you
fight the other 3 main characters from Castlevania III
sotn-trio.gif
Another one is when Maria mentions Richter Belmont, and the mention of the name Belmont triggers Alucard to remember Trevor.

origin-cloak2.png

Dremark

Banned
Phantasy Star 4 has you revisit an area from Phantasy Star 1 and even has some remixes of old dungeon tracks in it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Dead Space 2 is the obvious answer, amazing section of the game.

My other choice would be Resident Evil
Zero

Seeing the factory section from RE2 again with such nice graphics was amazing, even if it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Back then it really had me thinking we would be seeing REmake 2 sooner rather than so much later.

Chrono Cross callbacks are all like "remember that thing or person you loved a lot in our last game? Well, they died a horrible and painful death."

It's almost like it's a series about time travel where such things can and are reverted all the time (like everyone --literally everyone on earth-- dying in 1999 A.D. in the first game).

antitrop

Lazlow hosted the rock station in GTA Vice City after a remark about getting kicked off the rock station on Chatterbox in GTA III.

Not the greatest callback ever, but I really like Lazlow and GTA.

Top Bottom