• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID: Autosport |OT| Zippin' Up My Boots, Goin' Back To My Roots, Yeah

Megasoum

Banned
Yay I can talk! lol

So I won't do a full review, there's plenty of those around the web. I just want to point out a couple of positive and negative things I've seen after playing the review version for a couple of weeks.

Positive:
-Great diversity between the different classes of racing.
-Lots of great tracks (Mont-Tremblant FTW!)
-Long career.I'm at almost 60 races done and not even a third through it.
-Physics are super fun to drive. Not hardcore by any means but that's not what they were trying to do anyway. It's a great balance between arcade and simulation (leaning a bit more toward the sim)
-AI is really good. I've had some epic fights on almost all races.

Negative:
-The biggest one by far for me is being forced to do drifting to unlock the "Grand slam" events in the career. I'm sure that lots of people will like doing that, from what I can see the drift mode is well made but it's really just not for me and it's annoying to have to fight through it just to progress in my career.
-Not really a fan of the endurance discipline as a whole. The lack of pitstops kind of defeats the purpose. It feels really artificial right now with you trying to do your 8 min race before your tires runs out. Also the fact the race ends the moment the timer reach zero instead of letting you finish your lap is a bit dumb.

So overall I really like it. It's not perfect but it's the best Grid game yet for me.

C-PK

Neo Member
I consider pit stops quite important. Refueling, tyre changes, punctures and damage. All things that should require a pit stop. Maybe it's just me but pit stops are important in racing.

Entering the pits at the same time as your rival in first. Your pit crew release you slightly earlier. But he's out just in front due to his pit location. Straight out of the pits you both battle for grip on the new tyres but under pressure he locks up and you push past. This is what racing is about.

Fox Mulder

-Not really a fan of the endurance discipline as a whole. The lack of pitstops kind of defeats the purpose. It feels really artificial right now with you trying to do your 8 min race before your tires runs out. Also the fact the race ends the moment the timer reach zero instead of letting you finish your lap is a bit dumb.

I refuse to call a 15 minute race endurance. I loved the forza career events that lasted an hour and one fuck up would ruin it. But I also run F1 games 50% at minimum.

Megasoum

Banned
I refuse to call a 15 minute race endurance. I loved the forza career that lasted an hour and one fuck up would ruin it. But I also run F1 games 50% at minimum.

You can do up to 5x the lenght so the endurance races can last 40min if you want.

Hmm, no pit stops and 30 fps on consoles. I don't buy into the rewind feature so I guess I would have to quit the race if I get a puncture. I'm not a framerate snob but in the past (F1 games by Codies) 30 fps just didn't cut it.
In previous games they let you turn off Flashbacks entirely so it's not even an option, I don't see why it wouldn't be an option in this game as well. In fact you get extra XP for turning it off.

You can do up to 5x the lenght so the endurance races can last 40min if you want.
Nice. For some reason I thought it was Project Cars that did that, not this game.

dubc35

In previous games they let you turn off Flashbacks entirely so it's not even an option, I don't see why it wouldn't be an option in this game as well. In fact you get extra XP for turning it off.

Nice. For some reason I thought it was Project Cars that did that, not this game.

Yeah, I understand it can be turned off but does that turn off punctures too? If I turn it off, which I will if I buy the game, and I get a puncture I have to quit the race and start over? Punctures may not be common so it might not be a issue at all, just curious mostly.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah, I understand it can be turned off but does that turn off punctures too? If I turn it off, which I will if I buy the game, and I get a puncture I have to quit the race and start over? Punctures may not be common so it might not be a issue at all, just curious mostly.

I haven't seen any punctures so far after 60 races. It's nothing like the F1 games where you would get punctures every 10minutes lol.

If you don't want punctures you can turn off damage and just run visual. As long as you aren't crashing / damaging wheels all the time you won't see punctures too often.

Aerocrane

I haven't seen any punctures so far after 60 races. It's nothing like the F1 games where you would get punctures every 10minutes lol.

How aggressively are you driving the F1s if you get punctures that often? :D

I'm not planning on using a VPN to unlock the game early, so I'll be joining you PC guys on the 27th.

Megasoum

Banned
How aggressively are you driving the F1s if you get punctures that often? :D

I'm not planning on using a VPN to unlock the game early, so I'll be joining you PC guys on the 27th.

There was one of the F1 games (can't remember which one exactly)... The one where they first introduced the puncture animations that they wanted to show it to you so much that you'd get one almost every fucking races lol. I think it was eventually toned down in a patch.

Fox Mulder

There was one of the F1 games (can't remember which one exactly)... The one where they first introduced the puncture animations that they wanted to show it to you so much that you'd get one almost every fucking races lol. I think it was eventually toned down in a patch.

interesting, I've played a lot of the last two and haven't seen a single puncture yet.

Zeknurn

That would be F1 2010. The amount of punctures in that game was hilarious.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm confused... didn't someone from Codemasters just tweet that this is going to be unlocked on Steam today?

Megasoum

Banned
So Loore, the high res texture pack. Is it just built-in in the main download or it's an actual DLC on the store that happens to be free?

PS: Not seeing any DLC on the store right now lol.

MJLord

VPN's ready? I think I can get 30 mins in before I have to leave for my flight up north xD The one upside of an EasyJet strike.

So Loore, the high res texture pack. Is it just built-in in the main download or it's an actual DLC on the store that happens to be free?

PS: Not seeing any DLC on the store right now lol.

It's actual DLC on the store.

It should be there once the game goes live.

MaxiLive

I think its additional DLC. Also it looks like the game might be live now :0

Just need to wait for my code ^.^ Hopefully I'll have it sometime by the end of the week.

Should be live now for North America, we had a slight delay on Canada and Mexico but Valve have just this minute pushed the button.

I'll see you on track!

Yay I can talk! lol

So I won't do a full review, there's plenty of those around the web. I just want to point out a couple of positive and negative things I've seen after playing the review version for a couple of weeks.

Positive:
-Great diversity between the different classes of racing.
-Lots of great tracks (Mont-Tremblant FTW!)
-Long career.I'm at almost 60 races done and not even a third through it.
-Physics are super fun to drive. Not hardcore by any means but that's not what they were trying to do anyway. It's a great balance between arcade and simulation (leaning a bit more toward the sim)
-AI is really good. I've had some epic fights on almost all races.

Negative:
-The biggest one by far for me is being forced to do drifting to unlock the "Grand slam" events in the career. I'm sure that lots of people will like doing that, from what I can see the drift mode is well made but it's really just not for me and it's annoying to have to fight through it just to progress in my career.

So overall I really like it. It's not perfect but it's the best Grid game yet for me.

Sounds like a codies game to me, the endurance race method seems to be based on GRID 1's lemans races, they ended on a timer too.

Having to drift to unlock stuff is only half as bad as gymkana in dirt 3, but it should be optional full stop, we should be able to ignore drifting if we don't want it.

Pakoe

The cockpit view is pretty hilarious
ly bad
, really CM? Just placing a camera in the car doesn't make it right, that wasn't what made the view in the first game good. I will still be getting it though, really need a good racing game to play.

Xander51

The cockpit view is pretty hilarious
ly bad
, really CM? Just placing a camera in the car doesn't make it right, that wasn't what made the view in the first game good. I will still be getting it though, really need a good racing game to play.

Agreed. The cockpit view seems like an afterthought made on a very low budget. There's almost no detail in them and the textures are really muddy.

I think Eurogamer put it well.

The cockpit camera, as welcome an inclusion as it is, ultimately gives the game away. The two available angles are functional, blurring out the player's hands and the dashboard's non-working dials in a solution inspired by the work of modders on Grid 2. Like so much in Grid Autosport, it's clearly a compromise, a quick fix to tide Codemasters over until its next big thing arrives.
I'll take what I can get, and it's certainly better than nothing, but it is still disappointing.

Branson

Can't wait to get home and play this. Not expecting an iRacing experience so I'm looking to have some simcade fun with a wheel. How does the texture pack look?

Phloxy

Game plays great, runs really smooth too.
Running and i7 920 stock, nvidia 770 2 gig and not dropping below 100 frames a second.

This is running everything on Ultra, 4x MSAA, high-res textures installed.

Smokey

It's back, but from videos I've seen cockpits look blurry. I guess to simulate your eye focusing on the road instead of the interior.

Have you played watch perros? Apparently the cockpit is pretty similar to the cockpit in that game.

Agreed. The cockpit view seems like an afterthought made on a very low budget. There's almost no detail in them and the textures are really muddy.

Ughhhhhh

Top Bottom