• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID: Autosport |OT| Zippin' Up My Boots, Goin' Back To My Roots, Yeah

Branson

I didn't know you could make races longer than 3 laps on non endurance racing. And create your own championship? That's neat.

AU Tiger

I would say its around that depending on what sim you are comparing it to, maybe slightly more to the arcade side of things :p

The handling has the a similar depth of a sim but is defiantly far more forgiving which makes for exciting racers against other cars rather than yourself. If you are looking for the sim style racing I wouldn't go for it personally as you are bound to be disappointed, if you are looking for some fun action packed racing that works well with a wheel and has a lot of variety then it will be worth it :D

So is it more of a causal sim experience like Forza and Gran Turismo? Or can the assists be turned off to a certain degree that it is much more demanding of your skill?

Like, I don't want to turn off the assists and it only produce tons of understeer and snap oversteer and not communicate anything to you through FFB in the wheel. I want the physics to have the car behave like a car is supposed to when there's limited to no traction control or ABS.

RaceManIak

Neo Member
There seems to be an issue with the GMG codes, we're looking into this and are working to fix it.

Will let you know of any progress.

Weird, my GMG code worked this morning.
I downloaded everything but just tried the benchmark and configure Dashmeter android for now. I will set my TX Racing Wheel tonight.

AU Tiger

You can do up to 5x the lenght so the endurance races can last 40min if you want.

That's not good enough. Some of my fondest memories of automotive gaming was back in college playing Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec doing those 2 hour endurance races with friends.

THAT is an endurance race...where your endurance as a gamer is actually tested. We would do 10~20 laps, pit and hand the controller to a friend to continue. It'd be nice if in Grid we could set it to a massive race time like this.

Time of day progression would be icing on the cake.

sqwarlock

That's not good enough. Some of my fondest memories of automotive gaming was back in college playing Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec doing those 2 hour endurance races with friends.

THAT is an endurance race...where your endurance as a gamer is actually tested. We would do 10~20 laps, pit and hand the controller to a friend to continue. It'd be nice if in Grid we could set it to a massive race time like this.

Time of day progression would be icing on the cake.

Well you could always do the 1:1 24 Hours of Le Mans race in the original Grid, though it doesn't have pit stops if I remember correctly.

Can anyone with a GMG code PM me it? We're trying to double check them against what Valve have listed, thanks!

Edit: nvm, found one.

Well you could always do the 1:1 24 Hours of Le Mans race in the original Grid, though it doesn't have pit stops if I remember correctly.

It was a real shame that the sequel and this game does not have that mode. The races have also gone shorter and shorter with each successive game oestensibly to cater to the casuals. The average length of a race in GRID 2 seems to be less than 3 - 5 minutes.

I still think that the first GRID is the most hardcore of the series so far and one of the best games Codemasters has ever made.

Fox Mulder

The cockpit view is pretty hilarious
ly bad
, really CM? Just placing a camera in the car doesn't make it right, that wasn't what made the view in the first game good. I will still be getting it though, really need a good racing game to play.

it's a compromise between having it or nothing. It would be great to get unique and fully modeled interiors for each car, but apparently no one uses it for them to justify it.

It was a real shame that the sequel and this game does not have that mode. The races have also gone shorter and shorter with each successive game oestensibly to cater to the casuals. The average length of a race in GRID 2 seems to be less than 3 - 5 minutes.

I still think that the first GRID is the most hardcore of the series so far and one of the best games Codemasters has ever made.

forza dropped endurance races from career too, and I got tired of 2 lap races starting from the back each time by forza 3.

Denton

it's a compromise between having it or nothing. It would be great to get unique and fully modeled interiors for each car, but apparently no one uses it for them to justify it.

This is clearly bullshit. The real reason is that they just repurposed car models from GRID2 for this one. Autosport is a quick cash fix, stop-gap game meant to bring in some funds for CM so they can keep being in business after their shooter attempts, as well as GRID2, failed to light-up the marketplace.
Hopefully they can stay in business long enough to actually make proper GRID 3 for nextgen only with full-on proper cockpit views.

Agreed. The cockpit view seems like an afterthought made on a very low budget. There's almost no detail in them and the textures are really muddy.

Noticed that on my first career race:
C480E9DBF59AFAE93FC211295E0A165D9C06A5F8

Completed my first Open-Wheel season. Emphasis needs to be put on Qualifying. Started doing the first event in dead last because I didn't notice the Practice and Qualifying options at first. Did it during the second, and started in 5th place, and wound up in 1st.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
I'm pretty encouraged by the impressions I've been reading. Whether arcade, sim, or somewhere in between, I love racing games for the RACING, and far too many games in the genre that strive for realism seem to mess that up for various reasons. In a racing game, things like AI and career structure should be extremely important, but most games treat those things like an afterthought.

Most importantly, I can't stand bad AI. Whether it's acting like a child on XBL for his first time (Forza 5) or the bland funeral procession that Gran Turismo often resembles, bad AI turns a race into a drive with moving obstacles, which is not all that exciting. Great racer AI is one of the big reasons that I generally like Codemasters games, regardless of the direction each game goes in, because they are smart and responsive enough to make most races engaging.

I'm tired of career modes that are set up with the expectation that you will win every race without question and just funnel you through a random assortment of races. Hearing that this game is designed to be a struggle to succeed and that first place is earned but not expected is a breath of fresh air. It's also nice that they have several different disciplines you can choose between or ignore whenever you want to.

Looking forward to getting my hands on it when the GMG issue is resolved.

Then what was the excuse in Grid 2?

Their stated reasoning around Grid 2 was that based on their analytics of player data of past CM games, cockpit view was used very rarely (only 5% of the time).

Creating accurately-detailed cockpit views for every single car is an expensive process, from both a monetary and a performance perspective. They figured that the resources that were dedicated to cockpits would be better used to improve other elements like environment detail, AI, etc., which is sensible considering they were building those games for last-gen consoles and don't have the monetary resources backing them up that Forza, GT, or Need for Speed have.

Personally, I reacted to that news at the time with a little disappointment because while I appreciated that they were there, I found those views to be awkward in CM games compared to other racers, so I would've rather had them improve on them than to stop doing them, but losing them was not a big deal for me.

Clearly plenty of people cherished those cockpit views more than I did. Now in Autosport they have the correct perspective, so if you really needed a cockpit camera to properly orient yourself to race properly, you have that. However, they don't have the visuals of each car's interior accurately detailed, so the end result isn't pretty.

Is the Xbox one controller compatible with the pc version of this ?

Yes. Not sure if the game will have XB1-specific button popups, but the game has Xinput support like previous CM games.

DD

I'm pretty encouraged by the impressions I've been reading. Whether arcade, sim, or somewhere in between, I love racing games for the RACING, and far too many games in the genre that strive for realism seem to mess that up for various reasons. In a racing game, things like AI and career structure should be extremely important, but most games treat those things like an afterthought.

Most importantly, I can't stand bad AI. Whether it's acting like a child on XBL for his first time (Forza 5) or the bland funeral procession that Gran Turismo often resembles, bad AI turns a race into a drive with moving obstacles, which is not all that exciting. Great racer AI is one of the big reasons that I generally like Codemasters games, regardless of the direction each game goes in, because they are smart and responsive enough to make most races engaging.

I'm tired of career modes that are set up with the expectation that you will win every race without question and just funnel you through a random assortment of races. Hearing that this game is designed to be a struggle to succeed and that first place is earned but not expected is a breath of fresh air. It's also nice that they have several different disciplines you can choose between or ignore whenever you want to.
My thoughts exactly. I'm really tired of boring ass career modes, and except for the Formula 1 series, Codemasters's games have being a good (I mean bad) example of that, specially with Dirt.

It seems like they have fears of making the player bored, so they fill the career mode with short races and tiny championships. And the IA, yes, they make all the difference in the world. A boring career mode and bad IA was what make me hate Forza 4, for example.

I'm excited for Grid A exactly for the same reasons you have, mate. You read my mind.

Tobe

i really need a driving game dammit, ok whats a good wheel that isnt worth 500 usd. i see the t500 and looks super good but way out of my budget. is there something not cheap quality built?

looking forward to the game but i aint playing this shit on a pad.

Fox Mulder

My thoughts exactly. I'm really tired of boring ass career modes, and except for the Formula 1 series, Codemasters's games have being a good (I mean bad) example of that, specially with Dirt.

F1 is sad because the license is probably holding things back in some areas. The career mode is a glorified season mode where you are the only thing that can change.

Dave_6

Still no word on the GMG codes? I bought this before noon, got my code immediately yet it still won't work.

Branson

Well I'm in love. Just got done with the first touring champ. Increased the race distance so the first track was 6 laps each and the second was 8. Placed 5th-1st in those races and damn. The AI is great and isn't afraid to block. Cockpit isn't as bad as I thought as I'm focusing on the racing instead of my gauges. I've always wanted a game like this where the races aren't 3 laps each. I hate that.

R8TEDM3

Few pic's from me, and you can tell that the game looks really bad! Quick and dirty review... bad AI, controls, sound & graphics, and a very sloooooow career mode make this such a fast uninstall!

Also, that cockpit view is a total abomination here! Codemasters, what were you thinking? Didn't you hear our cries after the first game???

To me it was something they decided to add on in the last 2-3 months of development time!

Verdict! a very generous 4/10! Of course, this is only my opinion and everyone is different, but i have to be completely honest, i loved the first game, and played more than 70-80 hrs! But this one should be skipped!

Sorry for the bad news fellas! Few pic's for those interested...

14500462644_b5aa2512ee_k.jpg

14521897633_cdeb9fd807_k.jpg

14521890823_20b93d2a50_k.jpg

14498386951_a9a787d285_k.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
Few pic's from me, and you can tell that the game looks really bad! Quick and dirty review... bad AI, controls, sound & graphics, and a very sloooooow career mode make this such a fast uninstall!

Also, that cockpit view is a total abomination here! Ubi, what were you thinking? Didn't you hear our cries after the first game???

To me it was something they decided to add on in the last 2-3 months of development time!

Verdict! a very generous 4/10! Of course, this is only my opinion and everyone is different, but i have to be completely honest, i loved the first game, and played more than 70-80 hrs! But this one should be skipped!

lol sure...

Also btw, in the future, if you want to shit on a game at least try to get the proper company..

Ubisoft didn't have anything to do with that game.

What a joke.

Branson

Also, that cockpit view is a total abomination here! Ubi, what were you thinking? Didn't you hear our cries after the first game???

Wait what? Cockpit isn't anything special but the AI is some of the best I've seen in a racing game. Graphics are fine and sound is pretty good. Slow career is a good thing because you can make it however faster or slower you want to. Id give this an 8/10 easily.

This is all from a sim racer that's been doing this shit for 10 years. I know a good racing game when I play one.

BPoole

GMG code is not working for me either. I wasn't aware this was a widespread issue

CodiesLoore: I sent you a PM with my code in it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well the last-minute release date adjustment was for North America, and GMG listed the game as NA version, yet they are a UK company, so maybe things got a bit mixed up with some batches?

BPoole

Well the last-minute release date adjustment was for North America, and GMG listed the game as NA version, yet they are a UK company, so maybe things got a bit mixed up with some batches?

The pre load has been available for several days. Had what you described been the case, the codes that US residents got from GMG would have added the game to their Steam libraries, but not let them play it until the 27th

Dice

The pre load has been available for several days. Had what you described been the case, the codes that US residents got from GMG would have added the game to their Steam libraries, but not let them play it until the 27th
I only got my code from GMG today, and I didn't even get an email from GMG about it. So if the preload has been out for a week, GMG was messing something up. My theory is that what they messed up is putting some of their UK code batches in with the NA ones, since they sell to both markets. Otherwise, why would some of the codes work for people this morning and others not?

Or what if Codies messed up and we all got DiRT 4 keys? lol

Zushin

I purchased the game from GMG last night (I am Australian), the game was listed with (NA) in the title and I received a key immediately and was able to preload (game is still locked). So I am not sure what is going on.

BPoole

I only got my code from GMG today, and I didn't even get an email from GMG about it. So if the preload has been out for a week, GMG was messing something up. My theory is that what they messed up is putting some of their UK code batches in with the NA ones, since they sell to both markets. Otherwise, why would some of the codes work for people this morning and others not?

Or what if Codies messed up and we all got DiRT 4 keys? lol

I just hope this is all all resolved by tomorrow night. I was planning on playing it all night tonight, but instead I've been chatting back and forth with a customer service guy from GMG all day.

Dice

I just hope this is all all resolved by tomorrow night. I was planning on playing it all night tonight, but instead I've been chatting back and forth with a customer service guy from GMG all day.
That's where Garden Warfare comes in handy for me.

nakedeyes

Banned
There seems to be an issue with the GMG codes, we're looking into this and are working to fix it.

Will let you know of any progress.

Plus one on people who preordered this game and were given a bum code from GMG.. pretty sad. had planned on playing tonight and still no luck. :(

I know these things happen, but for the first time ever: Im kinda pissed at GMG. I usually sing their praises from the rooftops! But they way they responded to my support ticket ticked me off. They basically just said: "it should be working now, and please send us a screenshot if it keeps happening" . Thing is, I went out of my way to attach a screenshot on the original ticket..

Seemed like they just ignored me and didn't really read my ticket fully.. I feel like im out 40$ until I get the key..

JaoSming

Neo Member
Plus one on people who preordered this game and were given a bum code from GMG.. pretty sad. had planned on playing tonight and still no luck. :(

I know these things happen, but for the first time ever: Im kinda pissed at GMG. I usually sing their praises from the rooftops! But they way they responded to my support ticket ticked me off. They basically just said: "it should be working now, and please send us a screenshot if it keeps happening" . Thing is, I went out of my way to attach a screenshot on the original ticket..

Seemed like they just ignored me and didn't really read my ticket fully.. I feel like im out 40$ until I get the key..

I never even got a key, no replies to my existing (about today being the release date and not their originally listed 27th) or new support ticket about this. I mean, you can't beat cheap and the 25% off got me a few games through their own and Steam's sales from the gaming budget, but I'm just not going to preorder anything I actually care about playing day one from them again.

BPoole

I'm going to go off on them if they don't do something to make it up to everyone they screwed over.

BPoole

I mean you got two games if you pre ordered.

Doesn't matter. I preordered the game for $40 because I wanted to play it today. I am entitled to that since I gave them money. This would be like making a reservation at a restaurant and showing up to have htem tell you they fucked up and come back tomorrow. you knwo damn well if that happened the restaurant (assuming it is at least a decent one) would be super apologetic and give the party some sort of benefit.

GMG fucked up, and now it is on them to make it up to us

nakedeyes

Banned
I mean you got two games if you pre ordered.

True! But if you already bought Dirt: Showdown at full price ( I know... ), and own every other Codemasters game. I am left only wanting what I paid for, and all I have to show for it a wallet short 40$

I hate entitlement culture fiercely. I hope I am not seeming like that! But I think its fair that people are a bit upset that they don't have what they paid for at the time promised. In my case, I would be way less pissed if my customer support dude acted like he gave a damn.

Branson

True! But if you already bought Dirt: Showdown at full price ( I know... ), and own every other Codemasters game. I am left only wanting what I paid for, and all I have to show for it a wallet short 40$

I hate entitlement culture fiercely. I hope I am not seeming like that! But I think its fair that people are a bit upset that they don't have what they paid for at the time promised. In my case, I would be way less pissed if my customer support dude acted like he gave a damn.

Doesn't matter. I preordered the game for $40 because I wanted to play it today. I am entitled to that since I gave them money. This would be like making a reservation at a restaurant and showing up to have htem tell you they fucked up and come back tomorrow. you knwo damn well if that happened the restaurant (assuming it is at least a decent one) would be super apologetic and give the party some sort of benefit.

GMG fucked up, and now it is on them to make it up to us

I was just kidding. It does suck and I hope you guys get some reimbursement for your troubles. It's weird that my GMG code worked fine this morning and all of a sudden they stopped working.

Speaking of, I played Showdown a bit tonight with a wheel(I know) and I actually had some fun with it. I mean that was the whole point of it I guess, Arcade fun.

Top Bottom