• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 | NeoGAF Racing League & NRPC

ashk said:
Hi guys. I've been paying close attention to this thread since last week when your organiser told me there were a few open spots left. I just want to say I'm very impressed with all the work you've been putting into making the racing in this league exciting and fair, and I'm looking forward to racing with all of you (again).

The car I'll be using is the BMW Z4 M Coupe '08:

[MG]http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2208/bmwz4gt32.jpg[/IMG]

Actual product may differ

Great to have you on the team ashk/nab.

UFRA

MEGA POST is now updated with new team changes, car list, and sign-ups for Trial Mountain.

Still need one more Deep Speed sign-up for a full grid.

The race times have been updated in the mega post with the correct race times.

All teams now have the proper banners. :)

Deep Speed, please welcome your newest member - Dibbz - to the team. :)

UFRA

The NRL would like to address some concerns regarding the upcoming race at Trial Mountain

The start of the race

We have noticed in practices, the first lap - and specifically the first 100 meters of the race - can be a complete disaster. Action will now be taken for reckless driving. The league uses standing starts, so drivers must use EXTREME CAUTION at the start of races - especially 4WD cars which have better take-off than others. Remember: The race cannot be won in the first lap, but it can be lost. ©2010-11 Angst

If a driver is noted as being a hazard and reckless during the start of a race, the driver AND TEAM will suffer a point loss in the standings. Please note that you CAN go into negative points if you have 0 to start with and cause a race start crash.

Corner cutting

Please note the following picture:
Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_15.jpg

Notice how the curb of the track extends partially into the grass. Here are the guidelines on corner cutting:

You CAN drive your car onto the curb.
You CAN have a MAX of 2 (left side) wheels touch the grass (two (right side) wheels must maintain contact with the curb).

You can NOT do what the blue BMW is doing.

Notes regarding this issue:

-If you are involved in a heated battle and accidentally get bumped into the grass, NO penalty will be issued.
-If you have all 4 wheels on the grass and use the cut to gain a position a points penalty WILL be issued.
-If you have all 4 wheels on the grass and consistently cut the corner, even if you don't gain a position, a points penalty WILL be issued.

During the race, if you notice a driver that is consistently using the corner cut inappropriately, or to gain a position - please notify UFRA by GAF PM after the race is over. The replay will be reviewed and investigated.

Kaze13

UFRA said:
The NRL would like to address some concerns regarding the upcoming race at Trial Mountain

The start of the race

We have noticed in practices, the first lap - and specifically the first 100 meters of the race - can be a complete disaster. Action will now be taken for reckless driving. The league uses standing starts, so drivers must use EXTREME CAUTION at the start of races - especially 4WD cars which have better take-off than others. Remember: The race cannot be won in the first lap, but it can be lost. ©2010-11 Angst

If a driver is noted as being a hazard and reckless during the start of a race, the driver AND TEAM will suffer a point loss in the standings. Please note that you CAN go into negative points if you have 0 to start with and cause a race start crash.

Corner cutting

Please note the following picture:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_hLSdk2QnQXA/TXWYr4QQo6I/AAAAAAAABBI/T6ptzqGg34o/s720/Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_15.jpg[IMG]

Notice how the curb of the track extends partially into the grass. Here are the guidelines on corner cutting:

[B]You CAN[/B] drive your car onto the curb.
[B]You CAN[/B] have a MAX of 2 (left side) wheels touch the grass ([U]two (right side) wheels must maintain contact with the curb[/U]).

You [B]can NOT[/B] do what the blue BMW is doing.

Notes regarding this issue:

-If you are involved in a heated battle and accidentally get bumped into the grass, NO penalty will be issued.
-If you have all 4 wheels on the grass and use the cut to gain a position a points penalty WILL be issued.
-If you have all 4 wheels on the grass and [I]consistently[/I] cut the corner, even if you don't gain a position, a points penalty WILL be issued.

During the race, if you notice a driver that is consistently using the corner cut inappropriately, or to gain a position - please notify UFRA by GAF PM after the race is over. The replay will be reviewed and investigated.[/QUOTE]

Spot on! Good job you guys. Thumbs up all around. What about race practice starts? I hope this is implemented in our practice sessions whenever possible. Maybe do it before mock races? Say, 1 practice start per mock race? It's true that there is already a race start but I feel that highlighting it as a practice session will work out better.

I'm sure you guys already know but there are two other points of curb hopping to watch out for: Turn 1 and 2. Although they aren't as big a deal as the kink before the straight. I do tend to let two tires hang out on those turns though.

Angst

Kaze13 said:
Spot on! Good job you guys. Thumbs up all around. What about race practice starts? I hope this is implemented in our practice sessions whenever possible. Maybe do it before mock races? Say, 1 practice start per mock race? It's true that there is already a race start but I feel that highlighting it as a practice session will work out better.

I'm sure you guys already know but there are two other points of curb hopping to watch out for: Turn 1 and 2. Although they aren't as big a deal as the kink before the straight. I do tend to let two tires hang out on those turns though.
IMO those aren't much of an issue. Cut too much and car becomes massively unstable leading to a nice crash in turn 3. The track penalizes turn 1 and 2 pretty good.

brentech

Angst said:
IMO those aren't much of an issue. Cut too much and car becomes massively unstable leading to a nice crash in turn 3. The track penalizes turn 1 and 2 pretty good.
Agreed. I have a feeling there will be plenty of unforced error wrecks due to those turns. As well as the final turns into the finish, but at least those lead into a straight and not a turn.

Dead Man

1:28 flat is the best I can do online, so very, very slow! If you want to race this race Ashk, feel free to replace me if that is okay with the league.

UFRA

Dead Man said:
1:28 flat is the best I can do online, so very, very slow! If you want to race this race Ashk, feel free to replace me if that is okay with the league.

That's fine. Many people are running 1:28's.

You'll be fine out there since during the race with heavy damage, people who are going balls to the wall will be crashing. As long as you are clean and consistent you'll do well.

But if you want me to remove you and swap in ashk I can do that, just confirm your decision. :)

Dead Man

UFRA said:
That's fine. Many people are running 1:28's.

You'll be fine out there since during the race with heavy damage, people who are going balls to the wall will be crashing. As long as you are clean and consistent you'll do well.

But if you want me to remove you and swap in ashk I can do that, just confirm your decision. :)
LOL, I'm quite comfortable being slow, I just thought I might use it as an excuse to let Ashk in on a race since I have already done a couple races and he is new to the league. I'll let him decide, but thanks for the reply. :)

Kaze13

I think I've pretty much hit my wall on the track. High 1:27's is my avg dipping into the 1:28's when I make a slight mistake. Now, any tips in making tires last? I take care not to get em into the red but it's almost guaranteed on that hairpin after the back straight.

Toxa

Kaze13 said:
wat the wat?! lol. damn. Slip stream or no?

no I was first , Tommi Makkinen Edition guys

I congratulate MM and the other guys for their work here making the league fair for everyone.

bravo !

Kaze13

Toxa said:
no I was first , Tommi Makkinen Edition guys :

http://www.igcd.net/images/034/072.jpg[IMG]

I congratulate MM and the other guys for their work here making the league fair for everyone.

bravo ![/QUOTE]

I don't get it.

ashk

Dead Man said:

Sure, I'd love to race. I only started practicing yesterday so I still need to work on my consistency and car setup a bit, but I can do a decent fast lap.

To repeat for the entry list, I'm using the BMW Z4 M Coupe '08.

Dead Man

ashk said:
Sure, I'd love to race. I only started practicing yesterday so I still need to work on my consistency and car setup a bit, but I can do a decent fast lap.

To repeat for the entry list, I'm using the BMW Z4 M Coupe '08.
That's cool, I love Deep Forest, so I'll drive there if that is okay with the captain! I saw Niks practising with the Z4 Coupe today, he looked fast, so I think you should do well.

Dibbz

I'm looking to buy a car but with the BHP restriction you guys have in place do you take into account engine break in over time? Should I be looking to get a 380ish BHP so the break in over time doesn't take me over the restriction?

Angst

Dibbz said:
I'm looking to buy a car but with the BHP restriction you guys have in place do you take into account engine break in over time? Should I be looking to get a 380ish BHP so the break in over time doesn't take me over the restriction?
Don't worry about that Dibbz - just use the power limiter to fit into the restrictions. I've basically have had to limit my BMW by another .1 % after each race.

Angst said:
Don't worry about that Dibbz - just use the power limiter to fit into the restrictions. I've basically have had to limit my BMW by another .1 % after each race.
I've also shared a Subaru WRX STI '07 in the garage for you and the higher ups to check in case the z32 doesn't cut it.

Dibbz

Angst said:
Ah good point totally forgot about that.

UFRA

Angst said:

Haha yeah I've had to do this as well with my Mercedes.

Toxa

Kaze13 said:
1. Your car was a special edition?
2. I was curious about your line about the league.

1) Yeah T.M Edition (Tommi Makkinen )

2) in the previous race some cars were faster than others (3 second for some cars) now they make sure that all cars can make the same laptimes it's more fair (car banned/tested allowed

Kaze13

Toxa said:
1) Yeah T.M Edition (Tommi Makkinen )

2) in the previous race some cars were faster than others (3 second for some cars) now they make sure that all cars can make the same laptimes it's more fair (car banned/tested allowed

1. Oh, it doesn't count as a race spec then right? Just a badge I guess.
2. I somehow imagined there was a hint of sarcasm in the post and wanted to clarify lol. I think there may be some that are still doubtful but I think everything is fair at the moment. The only problem that I have seen is the massive amounts of practice time available in between this specific round. A lot of people have had a ton of time tuning the crap outta their cars and the track time doesn't hurt either lol.

UFRA

Yeah the Tommi Makkinen version essentially featured the special paint job which was similar to his actual rally car. Then it had a few cosmetic changes like a different bumper, nicer wheels, racing seats, Momo steering wheel etc.. lol.

Compare this to the Amuse Nismo 380RS Super Leggera for example, and it's a whole different story. This car features a completely redesigned body kit for significant aerodynamic improvements and weight reduction which you couldn't achieve with a typical 350Z or 370Z in GT5. Not to mention the numerous other upgrades to the engine and drivetrain.

That's why cars like the Amuse Nismo are banned, and cars like the Evo TM version and BMW Concept Series 1 are allowed - since they're mostly cosmetic changes.

Kaze13

UFRA said:
Yeah the Tommi Makkinen version essentially featured the special paint job which was similar to his actual rally car. Then it had a few cosmetic changes like a different bumper, nicer wheels, racing seats, Momo steering wheel etc.. lol.

Compare this to the Amuse Nismo 380RS Super Leggera for example, and it's a whole different story. This car features a completely redesigned body kit for significant aerodynamic improvements and weight reduction which you couldn't achieve with a typical 350Z or 370Z in GT5. Not to mention the numerous other upgrades to the engine and drivetrain.

That's why cars like the Amuse Nismo are banned, and cars like the Evo TM version and BMW Concept Series 1 are allowed - since they're mostly cosmetic changes.

I knew about the distinction but was sorely lacking in the knowledge about the Evo TM car lol.

Well, I reached my goal tonight in the lounge. 1:26.963. I tested 35 laps and got the time after the pit stop. I wasn't particularly aiming for it though. I was just zoning out and surprised myself with a time of 1:26.9xx then beat that time and got my best next lap. Of course, that messed me up for the next lap and got a 1:29.5 or something lol.

I aiming to beat UFRA's time (1:27.003) but of course that target is a moving one. At least I did what I set out to do. Feels good man. Is it race day yet?!

Angst

To clarify about testing of cars:

A number of drivers have tested lots all cars. All drivers have a different skill level, but this way we have been able to set a benchmark for each driver and we can easily see if one car is significantly faster than the others. Faster drivers will of course be able to use one of the approved cars and set a faster time than we have, but they would have been able to do that regardless. By benchmarking all cars we have been able to make a list of cars that are more or less equally fast.

If a good driver takes one of the cars from our list and sets a sub 1.26 time on Trial Mountain we can then draw the conclusion that he is faster than the rest of us and isn't using an overpowered car. Which was the whole point of the exercise.

There has been a lot of testing and each driver has probably done hundreds of laps at Tsukuba and Trial Mountain by now. I for one will not load up Tsukuba for a while... :p

Toxa said:
there's nothing with my car, it's just a limited edition this car is not superior to other evo
Agreed. And you had the good sense to tell us you got fast lap times with it and wanted us to test it again to make sure nothing was wrong with it. I made the conclusion that there's nothing wrong with the car, you are just fast Toxa
to compensate you will have to listen to Edith Pïaff during the whole race

Angst

Ok guys, I’ve made a spreadsheet listing all the cars we’ve tested so far. Red means the car is banned, green means it’s allowed and yellow means that the car needs to be tested/is currently in testing/needs to be re-tested. The spreadsheet will keep being updated.
One thing to keep in mind, this method WILL NOT be 100% fool proof. But all the races in practices we’ve done so far were balanced, and more importantly, great fun. I hope all this hard work will pay off, and that there won’t be mass RAGE after Saturday's race.

CAR LIST

"I" above being our organizer.

Kaze13

UFRA, hate to do this but I may be switching to the Z34 instead of the Z33...lol. It's a toss up right now. Stability or faster lap times? Hm...

UFRA

Kaze13 said:
UFRA, hate to do this but I may be switching to the Z34 instead of the Z33...lol. It's a toss up right now. Stability or faster lap times? Hm...

Not a problem. You have until Saturday to decide on your car, so it's not like anything is locked in yet.

Once you participate in a race event though, then your car is locked in. :)

Edit: btw if it were me I would choose stability over lap times. In fact that's what I did with my car choice for the league. As I've said before I have one of the average/slower end cars in the list, but its super stable. You can gun it out of corners and it doesn't even want to break the tail loose - even with 550ft/lbs of torque! Really fun to be able to push the car around and not worry about losing control.

Dead Man

Angst said:
Ok guys, I’ve made a spreadsheet listing all the cars we’ve tested so far. Red means the car is banned, green means it’s allowed and yellow means that the car needs to be tested/is currently in testing/needs to be re-tested. The spreadsheet will keep being updated.
One thing to keep in mind, this method WILL NOT be 100% fool proof. But all the races in practices we’ve done so far were balanced, and more importantly, great fun. I hope all this hard work will pay off, and that there won’t be mass RAGE after Saturday's race.

CAR LIST

"I" above being our organizer.
I think I know who tester 4 is... :)

brentech

My car isn't the most stable thing in the world...I had to tweak some things cause the bumps in this track make it really iffy at times, but it's got dat 'zoom zoom'!

UFRA

*cough*

A very big post is coming up again, and it will contain everything related to the league once more. I want people to have this fresh in their mind for tomorrow's race.

Please be sure to look over the rules again, and definitely the Trial Mountain issues section.

Top Bottom