• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 | NeoGAF Racing League & NRPC

Dead Man

If we can get some confirmation on the plans for the times of the races that would be great, and would let me know if I should replace that other guy on Team Parabolica. Any indication of current thoughts would be a huge help.

Angst

Dead Man said:
If we can get some confirmation on the plans for the times of the races that would be great, and would let me know if I should replace that other guy on Team Parabolica. Any indication of current thoughts would be a huge help.
Our organiser is planning this right now and we will post as soon as we know more.

Bear in mind that the folks in the US are sleeping right now and MM seem to have changed his day/night cycle to a US one as well. :p just kidding, but we will post as soon as we have any info to post.

Dead Man

Angst said:
Our organiser is planning this right now and we will post as soon as we know more.

Bear in mind that the folks in the US are sleeping right now and MM seem to have changed his day/night cycle to a US one as well. :p just kidding, but we will post as soon as we have any info to post.
Cool, thanks a bunch. For our organisers, a move by as little as 90 minutes would help a lot, but what might work could be 2 race times that alternate, one with the 90 minute shift, and another with another shift that might slightly inconvenience another area. Just a suggestion though.

Broseybrose

For now ill be a placeholder on team windmill (Speed Six '00). If someone else comes along and really wants to race alongside Toxa i will consider withdrawing.

Dead Man

I really want to drive an M3 '04. Not the CSL or the GTR, just base model. If that could be tested that would be awesome.

Also, I had an idea in the interests of greater parity: Not allowing downforce mods. I know a few of the cars can't use them, like the DB9 and 512BB, which puts them at a pretty severe disadvantage on faster corners. Some of the smaller wings are a bit hard to spot, but they are not invisible, and it would return the series to being more of a roadcar type feeling series. But just my suggestion, and I will not be insulted if people disagree.

Dead Man said:

What other guy? Me?

Dead Man said:
I really want to drive an M3 '04. Not the CSL or the GTR, just base model. If that could be tested that would be awesome.

Also, I had an idea in the interests of greater parity: Not allowing downforce mods. I know a few of the cars can't use them, like the DB9 and 512BB, which puts them at a pretty severe disadvantage on faster corners. Some of the smaller wings are a bit hard to spot, but they are not invisible, and it would return the series to being more of a roadcar type feeling series. But just my suggestion, and I will not be insulted if people disagree.

I think it's fine to allow spoilers. Most stock cars also don't have fully adjustable suspensions and transmissions, or racing slicks. Plus it's fun to see all the cars dollied up as race cars.

UFRA

Broseybrose said:
For now ill be a placeholder on team windmill (Speed Six '00). If someone else comes along and really wants to race alongside Toxa i will consider withdrawing.

I'm pretty certain Kaze13 has been very excited to be participating in this next race event. If not him there's still Mush that's a runner up for that spot.

I'm not sure of Lead Farmer's status as I've never seen him around here. So if you're interested in re-joining the league we might be able to put you back on Team FWTC. However if Lead Farmer turns out to be active, then we'd need to put you on a team that has only 3 members right now. :)

Angst

Dead Man said:

We've tested the M3 '04 now and unfortunately it has been found too fast. Same thing goes for the M5 '05. Sorry Dead Man :p

Toxa said:
ok i'd like to drive the Lancer evo GSR 99 for the next race

The Lancer Evo GSR '99 has also been tested and is allowed. Nice to be able to be the bearer of good news as well :)

Ufra has updated the MEGA POST with the correct car list.

Toxa

Angst said:
The Lancer Evo GSR '99 has also been tested and is allowed. Nice to be able to be the bearer of good news as well :)

thanks you so much angst it will be my new car :)

UFRA

Team Redline:

If you guys have the color "Super Metallic Red" I have to say it looks AWESOME. Really though any red color will do. :)

Kaze13

Oh man. I was testing race distance (guessing at length) and my car seems to eat up the soft race tire pretty good.

I did the special event but didn't get to finish the race and couldn't gauge tire fade. Is it normal in this series to feel the tire fade and compensate for it by the end of the race?

brentech

Yeah, depending on the course, you generally have to compensate quite a bit at the midway and end point do to tire wear. You'll notice ineffective braking and grip loss during high speed turns.

UFRA

For anyone struggling to find good settings for their car, I highly recommend this website:

http://www.gt5-tuning.com

Obviously they don't have all 1000+ cars supported yet, but there's plenty there and hopefully some of you can find better settings for your car this way.

If you're around anywhere MM (R.I.P.) I'm still considering joining up for the NRL. Many things have come my way the past month or so, waiting for it to settle down.

UFRA

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
If you're around anywhere MM (R.I.P.) I'm still considering joining up for the NRL. Many things have come my way the past month or so, waiting for it to settle down.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

So should we just keep you in mind as a 'possible member' at this point, or are you ready to be assigned to a team?

Just let us know either way.

Kaze13

I can't believe the Hard tires didn't last longer than the softer ones. Suspension setup or no setup, it should have lasted much longer. wtf, fix this shit G...KY!

Good practice guys. I got beaten up really bad in the first 2 mock up races but managed to put in some consistent times to get to a good place. The last mock up race was more like it. Got to the front and stayed at the front with Tox and JM (Gaf names unknown to me lol) shadowing from behind as a constant threat.

I need to reiterate it here. Guys, take it easy on the 1st corner! Holy crap, those were awful starts from all three races. People swerving everywhere and taking lines that isn't theirs and generally no respect for others. My philosophy is, I don't know you guys yet and I'll give you a healthy distance regardless of your speed. I'll brake earlier just so I have more breathing room. Just because I have the inside line doesn't mean I'll overtake you (yet ;) My last point is that there are multiple laps in the race. The race isn't won in the first corner! lol.

Now, it really sucks that I get beaten up at the back or that a guy a little slower than me is holding me up from battling with Ace or something but that's racing. I got dealt my hand and I have to work with it.

Lastly, to the guys I was shadowing before my d/c, I was just observing from behind to generally get to know you better. No foul intent and I was also trying to show some lines that I was using when I was in front.

brentech

If you've followed this thread or Super GT from our other races, you'll see that what your saying for the start of the race has been told many a time. It's quite sad really, but people seem to think they need to make their places in the first 400meters.
It's beyond me at this point.

I personally voted for no parade lap, but at the time, I'd only had one parade lap to base it on, and that didn't go well at all. A restarted and a even more issues with second lap.
Willing to do it if people can just drive straight and not screw off during it.

Dead Man

Angst said:
We've tested the M3 '04 now and unfortunately it has been found too fast. Same thing goes for the M5 '05. Sorry Dead Man :p

What! It IS a conspiracy, I told you! :lol Okay, I'll keep looking. I will say again I think the weight limit is too low, if you want cars that do that lap time, most of them that are being approved can only get down to 1200-1300kgs. Maybe just up the weight limit again? Anyway, just a suggestion.

weekend_warrior said:
What other guy? Me?
Nah, that other guy, Dead Man ;p

I think it's fine to allow spoilers. Most stock cars also don't have fully adjustable suspensions and transmissions, or racing slicks. Plus it's fun to see all the cars dollied up as race cars.
Yeah, I have no problem with it, it's just that some cars don't have the option available, which puts them at a disadvantage. But I'm fine with allowing them.

Kaze13

Well then, here is my proposition. During my first local motorcycle racing weekend, we practiced our race starts. It was really simple. You line up, practice your start, go through track and rinse / repeat.

So, when we are all practicing, we set the race laps to 1, practice the start and do it over and over again until we get it right. Then we practice some more. I say we do this before our mock races and do it for every track we visit.

Also I'd like the following enforced:

1. Remain in your line. Pushed out? Tough luck. Stay on the outside line. Do not dive back into the apex!
2. Make it mandatory that a racer attends at least one race start practice per track. Missed out on the race start practice? Tough luck, you start in the back regardless of your lap time. How to enforce this...is hard but here is an idea though, if you do miss a race start practice, you aren't allowed to qualify. Guaranteed last spot on the grid.

If we do this, then we'll get to know each other's reaction on the track and we will be better prepared for the actual race.

edit: IMO, #2 should be enforced next season but everybody should be subjected to race start practice at some point. The earlier, the better.

edit2: got some pics to share.

Some close racing
Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_3.jpg

Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_8.jpg

Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_10.jpg

Prepping for a pass
Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_5.jpg

Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_11.jpg

Last lap. Still ahead of SWEandroid. Loss the rear after being rear ended. Kept the line but hit the wall upon exiting.
Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_12.jpg

Heading down to the kink before the front straight.
Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_13.jpg

Thought I had it but then I saw this. :picardwtfisthisshit
Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_14.jpg

Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_15.jpg

Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_16.jpgk

So, in light of the next race, is that little move allowed? I thought for sure I secured 4th place in the mockup race but I didn't know people used that little shortcut.

Dead Man

2 new car requests. I would like to drive the Chev Camaro SS '10, or the Maserati GranTurismo '08. Sorry to not be content with anything on the list so far, and thanks for testing all the cars.

Dead Man said:
2 new car requests. I would like to drive the Chev Camaro SS '10, or the Maserati GranTurismo '08. Sorry to not be content with anything on the list so far, and thanks for testing all the cars.

Come on man, are you trolling us? Niks tested both those cars at the same time and said they should both be banned at the same time. He literally said, in one sentence, two days ago, that the Camaro SS '10 and Maserati Gran Turismo are both too fast and should be banned.

Kaze13

Just tried the GT5-Tuning guide for my Z. Quite a difference. My tune was heading in the same direction but there are a bunch I wouldn't have considered. The tune said that it effectively eliminated the "uncertain" feeling from the stock Z but I feel that it only minimized it. Great handling tune but it limits my speed at the last kink before the front straight. Crashed 4/13 times (hard) during my practice run :/

Dead Man

weekend_warrior said:
Come on man, are you trolling us? Niks tested both those cars at the same time and said they should both be banned at the same time. He literally said, in one sentence, two days ago, that the Camaro SS '10 and Maserati Gran Turismo are both too fast and should be banned.
Where did he say this? No, I am not trolling. I did not see that post, or read it well enough, and they are not on the list that I am using as a reference.

Edit: I got about the same time with them on Trial Mountain as I did with the Z33. Hence my request.

Edit2: I'd really like a link to this statement, I have gone back to before we even had the first race and can't find one mention of the Camaro.

UFRA

I feel like I have missed some people, so I apologize in advance.

Please check the Trial Mountain sign-up section of this post. If you are not on the list and wish to be on it, please post here in the format of Team - Name - Car.

Thanks!

Some notes/questions:

-Brosey - What is your place in this league? Are you back in, or are you just here for fun in the practices? If you're back, we need to know so I can assign you to a team.

-Kaze - As far as that corner cut goes, it is currently under discussion as far as what will be going on for that for race day. We will decide on whether it is allowed or not, and how it will be enforced and let everyone know ASAP.

-We are very close to deciding on a better time for the upcoming race, as well as the race times for the remainder of the season. This will be announced within the next day or so.

PS - My Mercedes looks awesome in red. :p

Niks

@ Deadman, sorry about the confusion....

Both the Camaro SS and the Maserati GranTurismo are banned, we didnt include them in the banned list because we thought no one would request them due to their weight.

Dead Man

Niks said:
@ Deadman, sorry about the confusion....

Both the Camaro SS and the Maserati GranTurismo are banned, we didnt include them in the banned list because we thought no one would request them due to their weight.
All good, I sort of picked the because they were heavy, hoping they would be slow enough. I do like my record of requesting banned cars though! I pm'd you, but may as well make it official, it appears my eyesight needs some help since I did not notice the Aston was on the approved list. I will select that, if it is okay. I believe I'm still on Team Parabolica, but if weekend_warrior wants a different team mate I will understand. I also am not sure I will be able to make the listed time, so until there is confirmation on the time I guess my entry is provisional (but hopeful).

UFRA

Dead Man said:
All good, I sort of picked the because they were heavy, hoping they would be slow enough. I do like my record of requesting banned cars though! I pm'd you, but may as well make it official, it appears my eyesight needs some help since I did not notice the Aston was on the approved list. I will select that, if it is okay. I believe I'm still on Team Parabolica, but if weekend_warrior wants a different team mate I will understand. I also am not sure I will be able to make the listed time, so until there is confirmation on the time I guess my entry is provisional (but hopeful).

This reminds me - updated the notes section of my post up above.

I will add you to the list for now, assuming under acceptable time conditions it will work out for you. :)

brentech

UFRA said:
PS - My Mercedes looks awesome in red. :p
I was watching a practice replay from today, and you have one of the few cars that doesn't sound like a moped. You actually have a nice manly growl coming from that machine.

UFRA

brentech said:
I was watching a practice replay from today, and you have one of the few cars that doesn't sound like a moped. You actually have a nice manly growl coming from that machine.

German 6.3L V8 FTW!

Yeah it sounds amazing in chase cam, unfortunately I can't race like that with a wheel so I can only enjoy the muffled sound from inside the cockpit during races.

Kaze13

UFRA said:

Please check the Trial Mountain sign-up section of this post. If you are not on the list and wish to be on it, please post here in the format of Team - Name - Car.

Thanks!

-Kaze - As far as that corner cut goes, it is currently under discussion as far as what will be going on for that for race day. We will decide on whether it is allowed or not, and how it will be enforced and let everyone know ASAP.

I am racing so my name should be there lol. I guess I'm racing team FWtC? I have no idea but whatever is cool with me.

If people are getting near 1:27.003 with that shortcut and my best was 1:27.112 then I think I can break 1:26. I suggest we....Wait, I'll try it out now...

yup..1:26.551 lap 3. lol At the lobby by myself and of course no slipstream.

edit: also, please don't ban my car ;) (lol)

Broseybrose

UFRA said:

-Brosey - What is your place in this league? Are you back in, or are you just here for fun in the practices? If you're back, we need to know so I can assign you to a team.

Yeah count me as back in the league. Ive been doing well in practice... not well enough to win, but learning to drive with my prime objective being a super-clean driver. I dont need to win to have fun with the league. Im still testing some cars, but so far the Speed Six is my best car.

You can put me on whatever team needs a driver.

UFRA

Kaze13 said:
I am racing so my name should be there lol. I guess I'm racing team FWtC? I have no idea but whatever is cool with me.

If people are getting near 1:27.003 with that shortcut and my best was 1:27.112 then I think I can break 1:26. I suggest we....Wait, I'll try it out now...

Yes you are with Team FWTC, I'll sign you up.

No worries on that lap time, there's a number of cars that can indeed do a 1:26.X on that track. For example, my best time (without corner cutting) in practice was a 1:27.003. I was pushing as hard as possible. I can't imagine improving that much better. I ran a 1:26.8 in a race but I believe slipstream assisted.

Anyways, in our 'testing sessions' my car was on the slower end of the car spectrum. My car gets 56.3 ish lap times on Tsukuba, while many others are in the 55 second range. So, naturally any of those cars should be able to pull of 1:26 laps on TM. However, that less than 1 second difference is no issue. If you drive well and clean, any of the cars we tested have a fair chance at a win.

Notes:

I updated the Trial Mountain sign up - only need 4 more people.

Brosey - We'll let you know which team you are on by tomorrow. It will probably be Deep Speed but I need to check with my superiors. ;)

Kaze13

UFRA said:
Yes you are with Team FWTC, I'll sign you up.

No worries on that lap time, there's a number of cars that can indeed do a 1:26.X on that track. For example, my best time (without corner cutting) in practice was a 1:27.003. I was pushing as hard as possible. I can't imagine improving that much better. I ran a 1:26.8 in a race but I believe slipstream assisted.

Anyways, in our 'testing sessions' my car was on the slower end of the car spectrum. My car gets 56.3 ish lap times on Tsukuba, while many others are in the 55 second range. So, naturally any of those cars should be able to pull of 1:26 laps on TM. However, that less than 1 second difference is no issue. If you drive well and clean, any of the cars we tested have a fair chance at a win.

Notes:

I updated the Trial Mountain sign up - only need 4 more people.

Brosey - We'll let you know which team you are on by tomorrow. It will probably be Deep Speed but I need to check with my superiors. ;)

Thanks for the update.

Regarding the shortcut. 0.500 x 20 = 10 seconds. That's quite a bit over time and it's certainly a Race winning margin. Though the times drop considerably after lap 11 if you are using Soft tires. So, realistically, 5 seconds can be guaranteed if you use the shortcut in the first 10 laps. I'd say that a corner cutting ban is in order. Is the penalty option not used in races?

edit: well, on second thought, if you fail and take that shortcut wrong, you are in for some considerable damage lol

What sucks is that I was planning on taking the slower lap times if I could have grip that will last the race by using a harder tire. WTF is up with the broken tire wear? Anybody know the story on this? Soft, Medium, Hard. It doesn't matter. They all degrade at the same rate and the only difference is lap time.

Attention:

Due to a struggling economy and lackerluster driver performance, Team Parabolica has has forced to liquidate assets and sell partnership in the racing business. We have been picked up by a new team and will henceforth be racing under the banner of Raven Racing International [RRI] . I will remain captian, all questions from our team members can be directed to my Lieutenant Dead Man, who will then direct them to me. It should also be noted that we are presently taking applications for a new member. New Team color is Matte Black, with Frost White rims. If these colors can not be obtained please make me aware and I will supply them.

Thank you for your time.

6WKDg.jpg

UFRA

Kaze13 said:
Thanks for the update.

Regarding the shortcut. 0.500 x 20 = 10 seconds. That's quite a bit over time and it's certainly a Race winning margin. Though the times drop considerably after lap 11 if you are using Soft tires. So, realistically, 5 seconds can be guaranteed if you use the shortcut in the first 10 laps. I'd say that a corner cutting ban is in order. Is the penalty option not used in races?

edit: well, on second thought, if you fail and take that shortcut wrong, you are in for some considerable damage lol

What sucks is that I was planning on taking the slower lap times if I could have grip that will last the race by using a harder tire. WTF is up with the broken tire wear? Anybody know the story on this? Soft, Medium, Hard. It doesn't matter. They all degrade at the same rate and the only difference is lap time.

The penalty option in the game has one major flaw, and that is the fact that it makes cars transparent, and unable to be hit during the penalty time which can actually cause an advantage by being able to go through other cars without slowing down during the penalty. The penalty system is also a bit inconsistent and sometimes accidental taps are penalized when they shouldn't be.

I assure you we are not going to allow the shortcut, it's just a matter of deciding how to go about preventing it and explaining it to everyone. As I said we'll release the info on this ASAP.

Tire wear is messed up in the game. It's best to stick with soft tires since the hard tires really don't prove to be worth it in the end. Worse grip, for .0001% better tire life.

Finally, the NRL is proud to welcome the restored team of Raven Racing International. I have updated the mega post on the previous page with your new fancy team banner just like my personal team has.

(I have also placed an order for new team badges for RRI and Team Redline)

Toxa

Kaze13 said:

lol sometimes the track is faster xD

edit: maybe because you used GT5 tuning

Toxa

damn GT5 tuning is so helpful, my car is too fast now, weekend-warrior gonna ask to ban my car xD

thanks you so much UFRA

Angst

Kaze13 said:
1. Remain in your line. Pushed out? Tough luck. Stay on the outside line. Do not dive back into the apex!
2. Make it mandatory that a racer attends at least one race start practice per track. Missed out on the race start practice? Tough luck, you start in the back regardless of your lap time. How to enforce this...is hard but here is an idea though, if you do miss a race start practice, you aren't allowed to qualify. Guaranteed last spot on the grid.

If we do this, then we'll get to know each other's reaction on the track and we will be better prepared for the actual race.

Some close racing
Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_3.jpg

Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_8.jpg

Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_10.jpg

Thought I had it but then I saw this. :picardwtfisthisshit
Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_14.jpg

Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_15.jpg

Trial%20Mountain%20Circuit_16.jpgk

So, in light of the next race, is that little move allowed? I thought for sure I secured 4th place in the mockup race but I didn't know people used that little shortcut.
Lol, no that move is not allowed. I got carried away and overdid it by quite a lot. I was planning to go for the curb, but the adrenaline got the better of me. Sorry about that, you deserved the 4th, not me :p I see Ufra followed my lead, but he probably just took the same line I took when he saw me cut there.

We did have some pretty awesome close racing before that! The pics are amazing - please ignore the part where I cut across the grass :/

This can't be repeated enough. Also people should try to anticipate when other cars are going to brake and not just smash into them from behind.

Angst

Schmitty said:
Team FR4WD - Schmitty - Audi TTS Coupe

(still may change to BMW concept tii after I try it out on Friday)
Nice! Looking forward to a more even battle on Saturday now that the M3 CSL is banned.

UFRA will update the player's table later today when he's around.

Niks

Couple of changes guys, considering I forgot about our Aussie friends, races will be at 21.00GMT instead. This will clash with the SuperGT times once their league starts... but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there. Apologize for the confusion. Also, everyone welcome new member Ashk to the team Raven Racing International, and BroseyBrose will be racing for FR4WD (you’ll probably need a name change no? :p). BroseyBrose, I won’t name names, but people think your still a bit too all over the place :p Remember, races aren’t decided on the first lap. Take it easy and steady. Heavy damage WILL be on. These new cars have been tested (in case anyone missed them):

Banned:
BMW M3 ‘04
BMW M5 ‘05
Chev Corvette Z06 '06
Lotus Esprit '02
Chevrolet Camaro SS '10
Maserati GranTurismo S '08

Tested and allowed:
RUF BTR '86 (HARD TO HANDLE)
RUF CTR "Yellow Bird" '87 (HARD TO HANDLE)

Team Deep Speed - SunhiLegend- Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II Nür (R34) ‘02

Don't know whether anyone else from my team will be participating. Sent a pm to LionHeart, who hasn't been active in the league since the rule changes and hasn't participated in any practices that i've seen. Firewire is banned from Neogaf so i don't really know whats his status regarding the league. Hopefully both members haven't quit and one of them can make it for the next round. If both of them want to race i'll gladly let them take my place.

Konosuke

Anyone up for practice? I had tonnes of fun last night after UFRA's tips. Thanks bro! I even managed to do a 1.27 before I got disconnected. Still haven't decided on the car but they look great on Super Red Metallic :3

ashk

Hi guys. I've been paying close attention to this thread since last week when your organiser told me there were a few open spots left. I just want to say I'm very impressed with all the work you've been putting into making the racing in this league exciting and fair, and I'm looking forward to racing with all of you (again).

The car I'll be using is the BMW Z4 M Coupe '08:

bmwz4gt32.jpg

Actual product may differ

Dead Man

Niks said:
Couple of changes guys, considering I forgot about our Aussie friends, races will be at 21.00GMT instead. This will clash with the SuperGT times once their league starts... but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there. Apologize for the confusion. Also, everyone welcome new member Ashk to the team Raven Racing International, and BroseyBrose will be racing for FR4WD (you’ll probably need a name change no? :p). BroseyBrose, I won’t name names, but people think your still a bit too all over the place :p Remember, races aren’t decided on the first lap. Take it easy and steady. Heavy damage WILL be on. These new cars have been tested (in case anyone missed them):

Banned:
BMW M3 ‘04
BMW M5 ‘05
Chev Corvette Z06 '06
Lotus Esprit '02
Chevrolet Camaro SS '10
Maserati GranTurismo S '08

Tested and allowed:
RUF BTR '86 (HARD TO HANDLE)
RUF CTR "Yellow Bird" '87 (HARD TO HANDLE)
Thanks for the adjustment, I know it inconveniences other members a bit, but 0730 is much better than 0600! I'll do my best to make it to the races.

ashk said:
Hi guys. I've been paying close attention to this thread since last week when your organiser told me there were a few open spots left. I just want to say I'm very impressed with all the work you've been putting into making the racing in this league exciting and fair, and I'm looking forward to racing with all of you (again).

The car I'll be using is the BMW Z4 M Coupe '08:

bmwz4gt32.jpg

Actual product may differ
Welcome to the team, ignore my ranting!

Top Bottom