• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 | NeoGAF Racing League & NRPC

Kaze13

ashk said:
Running by myself I can comfortably go a few seconds under 4:00, but during a race 4:00 seems to be the norm. You might want to consider changing cars if it's that far off the pace.

But I just spent a whole lotta credits on it :( If it isn't as fast as the other cars then it's ok.

Kaze13 said:
But I just spent a whole lotta credits on it :( If it isn't as fast as the other cars then it's ok.

I bought it today just to try it, but it's just way too heavy and not fast enough :( Fortunately I backed up my save. It's a shame because I love the way it looks and sounds.

Kaze13

Anybody want to share their 4:00 car for a quick personal test? If you don't mind, please add me: PSN = Kaze13. I just want to test it at La Sarthe to see the difference. My competitive side is showing...

Kaze13

After the practice session with SWE and Tox, I found out just how uncompetitive the ISF is. POS...900k down the drain. At least it's a premium. lol. I caved and bought the ASTRA. Slapped on some soft tires and away I go.

At first it felt slow. I didn't change anything except for the downforce. Then I noticed the effects of the lower weight (of course): braked later and carried more corner speed. Result?

*snip*

Its really good.

edti: FALSE ALARM! Forgot to set the PP limit and had a few extra PP's to play with in the room. Still, hovering around 4 minutes though :p

brentech

Have to remove an old ceiling fan, and install the new one in our master bedroom. Then I'll probably start practicing again after a little break.

Luckily I just did this yesterday in our living room and have the process down now - so it shouldn't take nearly as long, lol.
I have some remote races running in the meantime.

brentech

Angst said:
4rvYz.png

JOcuA.jpgg

NOTE: PP RESTRICTIONS MAY CHANGE PRIOR TO THE RACE. KEEP CHECKING THIS THREAD FOR UPDATES!

NEW PP RESTRICTION! 580PP

Special Stage 2 - Circuit de la Sarthe
RGeH5.png
Length: 8.47mi/13629 m Longest Straight: 1.04mi/1679 m Elevation Change: 122.4ft/37,3 m Corners: 38​
Race lap preview video:
COMING SOON!

Race starts in:
t1301173200z0.png
How to join:
Just post in this thread that you want to join the race and what car you'll be using so you can be added to the list. Priority will be given to members with the lowest Individual Points. Add the PS3 account "GT5NRL" to your friends list if you haven't done it yet, and on race day join the private lounge a couple of minutes before the race time.​

Allowed cars:
  • Alfa Romeo 155 2.5 V6 TI '93
  • Audi A4 Touring Car '04
  • Audi Abt Audi TT-R Touring Car '02
  • Audi R8 LMS Race Car '09
  • BMW M3 GTR Race Car '01
  • Lexus IS F Racing Concept '08
  • Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evolution II Touring Car '92
  • Mercedes-Benz CLK Touring Car '00
  • Opel Astra Touring Car (Opel Team Phoenix) '00
  • Opel Calibra Touring Car '94
  • Vauxhall Astra Super Touring Car '00
  • Vauxhall Calibra Super Touring Car '94

Player conduct while on the server:
  • When the race organizer wants to start the event, please keep chatter to a minimum.
  • Qualifying will start 10 minutes after race time. Use the time to warm up.
  • All members registered on the race must join the track.
  • Before qualifying starts we will do a synch check, followed by a 1 lap race. (to reset times)
  • Qualifying will start immediately after the 1 lap race and the full race set to start after 10 minutes.
  • All the players that were in the previous 1 lap race must join the track right after it ends and start posting their times.
  • During qualifying DO NOT quit to the lounge.
  • Please be extra careful during the first corner, and the first lap in general.
  • You must do at least 1 mandatory pit stop during the race.

Players Participating in Round 4 (13/16):
  • 01 - Metalmurphy - Audi R8 LMS Race Car '09
  • 02 - Ashk - BMW M3 GTR Race Car '01
  • 03 - brentech - Audi ABT TT-R Touring Car '02
  • 04 - Dibbz - Mercedes-Benz CLK Touring Car '00
  • 05 - Niks - BMW M3 GTR Race Car '01
  • 06 - Toxa - Audi Abt Audi TT-R Touring Car '02
  • 07 - SunhiLegend - Audi R8 LMS Race Car '09
  • 08 - Kaze13 - Lexus IS F Racing Concept '08
  • 09 - gutterboy44 - Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evolution II Touring Car '92
    [*]10 - UFRA - Opel Astra Touring Car (Opel Team Phoenix) '00
    [*]11 - Risk Breaker - <no car chosen>
    [*]12 - h3ro - Lexus IS F Racing Concept '08 (spot semi-open)
    [*]13 - Broseybrose - Mercedes-Benz CLK Touring Car '00
    [*]14 -
    [*]15 -
    [*]16 -

Wanted on the new page, was like 4 pages back.

UFRA

Great race today guys. Congrats Toxa, solid performance man!

That was a ton of fun, and proof that we can all handle light damage and still race like grown men. :p

Kaze13

First off, thanks for delaying the race everyone. That was awesome of you guys to do.

The first half of my race was awesome for me. Starting off last in the grid makes for some exciting "catch up" moments.

Laps 1-4
After passing the two Audi's, I set off to chip away at the front runners. I expected Tox, Ash, Niks near the front and I was not gonna be able to make up the time from them. I just grinded away until I saw more red lights up front. I was surprised at how quick those red lights were appearing on my screen though. I chalked it up to race mistakes/incidents and plowed on. Then the break through! I passed two groups, each were somehow in the side of the road. I think I made my way up to 3rd place when I pitted.

Given my lack of experience pitting on this track. I had to check where it was! I saw it and decided to pit a the end of lap 4.

Laps 5-10
Okay, I got the hard part done. Now, I just need to keep up the pace and hope Tox makes a mistake or something (fat chance lol). <- Was what I thought. Instead, I get out of the pits and Niks is there behind me after his pit! Had a fun battle with him until I made some rookie mistakes. I didn't get to practice much with other people on the track and it showed.

During my battle with Niks, we would trade spots and I would get him under braking even after he draft passed me. However, him contesting for the same line threw my own line off. I was making some daring passes and made some slight line deviations. That worked until our 2nd lap together. Increasing my pace and hopefully gaining a few tenths away from him, I made big errors. braking later on the wrong line = disaster. I overshot the corner and ended up on the gravel. No biggie, I'll just get back on pace. MM passed me too during that run. So, I get back on the track with the intention of catching up. Then, another mistake. Gah! Now I'm driving mad and make a couple of more mistakes. This whole series of mistakes cost me a top 5 finish. I was not a whole sector away from MM and his battle up front. No chance to catch up even with mistakes from them.

I ended up in 8th place but it is better than last or no points at all. My fastest lap was 4 flat without slipstream. I should have pitted 1 lap later I think. I made a slight misjudgment of tire management. I also gave up line choices that I shouldn't have done. During the battle with Niks, I didn't hold a defensive line at all! Heading into the braking zones, I just gave him the inside lane out of courtesy. Courtesy?! In racing?! Bah!!! lol. It didn't help that it was my first real battle with him and didn't know how he reacts on the track. Oh well. Lessons learned.

Good battle Niks.
Great race Tox. Congrats!

Dibbz

Some fun racing today. Was crazy having a massive train of cars for the first few laps. I got bumped off by someone and dropped to like 8th. Then I fought MM for most of the race and managed to catch up to some other guys with MM. They must have went off or something.

Finally I overtook Nab one the very last turn before the finish line to take 4th place :D

5562697350_7ca1e10f96_b.jpg

5562697360_b1e9bbf447_b.jpg

Toxa

Thanks guys :)

Firstly I would like apologize if my behavior has annoyed some people during the race.

I was able to make the pole postion but the race started before I could finish my lap anyway the pole position was pointless today in this track.

I was disappointed to see that the damages was light today :( but my only complain was edgeypoo he bumped on me brutally at dunlop corner (lap 3) seriously don't do that again ! I checked the replay and it was a crazy maneuver I wasn't slow I was right behind nab.
If the damages was set on full our race would be screwed up ... :( guys I trust you to do the right things during the race but this kind of maneuver deserves a penalty.

but it's ok, it's fine no damages it's cool.

had a great battle with MM and Nab and I really sad for nab he messed up during lap 3 :( he was competitive today.

I tried to be fair the entire race avoiding corner cutting even in the pit . I brake before the pit to make a clean pit entry if you don't brake you go to fast and the auto pilot cut the in the grass.
I checked the replay and almost everyone cut the grass :p this is probably why I lost two seconds after my pit stop xD

I was cautious and try to keep a sufficient lead to the end. egdeypoo was very fast today I could not allow myself to sleep:p

Tough race today , it was thrilling my first win in the NRL I'm happy :)

my best lap was 3.56.8 not 3.55 xD

overall good race for Opel today

opel%20dtm.jpg

Toxa said:
but my only complain was edgeypoo he bumped on me brutally at dunlop corner (lap 3) seriously don't do that again ! I checked the replay and it was a crazy maneuver I wasn't slow I was right behind nab.
If the damages was set on full our race would be screwed up ... :( guys I trust you to do the right things during the race but this kind of maneuver deserves a penalty.

but it's ok, it's fine no damages it's cool.

had a great battle with MM and Nab and I really sad for nab he messed up during lap 3 :( he was competitive today.

I tried to be fair the entire race avoiding corner cutting even in the pit . I brake before the pit to make a clean pit entry if you don't brake you go to fast and the auto pilot cut the in the grass.
I checked the replay and almost everyone cut the grass :p this is probably why I lost two seconds after my pit stop xD

I was cautious and try to keep a sufficient lead to the end. egdeypoo was very fast today I could not allow myself to sleep:p

Tough race today , it was thrilling my first win in the NRL I'm happy :)

Yeah, I want to apologize again for that. I completely misjudged our speeds and I thought you were going faster so I let go of the brakes a little too soon, and then I jumped over the curb so I couldn't stop at all and went straight into you. I'm not sure it would've caused damage to you with heavy damage, as I hit your side with my right front wheel (would've been damaged for sure, but I didn't get any damage at all with light) and there was about 30km/h difference but it could've been much worse :( Oh, and I didn't even know the damage was set to light, I thought it was heavy, so you can be sure it was completely unintentional, I was in third place and didn't want to risk it. Anyway I made sure to step aside and let you and everyone behind me pass.

But that wasn't the worst maneuver at all! I have this little problem with my DFGT: when I don't touch one of the pedals for 30 secs or so, it "goes to sleep" so if I press it, it takes half a second or so for it to work. Well that happened yesterday right before the first chicane, first lap, had four of you in front of me and I was going 300km/h. Tried to brake and oh crap, it doesn't work. I was THIS CLOSE to wreck someone into oblivion. Luckily I managed not to crash and let everyone pass. After that I had a lot more care with that matter. Does that happen to anyone else btw?

Apart from those unfortunate events, I had a lot of fun and the race was great. I started in 5th position, better than I thought considering my quali laps weren't too fast due to fear of screwing up the whole lap. Then we were really close for three laps, toxa and nab managed to make a little gap and we (UFRA, Niks, Dibbz and I) stayed together a couple of seconds behind.

Due to accidents or tyre wear, only UFRA and I remained in the battle for 2nd. We had a really similar pace for a couple of laps during which we drafted together trying to catch toxa but it didn't work... after that his tyres gave up and I was alone at something like.. 9 seconds behind, right toxa?

Driving alone I could take the turns faster, tighter and brake later, which improved my lap times considerably. Thanks to that I could stay in front of the pack of cars that were following me drafting. That was what made me do the pit stop at the start of lap 7, when I was planning to do it one lap earlier. I didn't want to get stuck in the pack and I was confident I could get a little bit closer to toxa and stop right behind him. I want to apologize too, because I couldn't see shit by the time we made the stop and even though I tried to brake into the pits but it was too late, I didn't know how the entry was, IA took over and I slid through the grass. Didn't shave much time though, I managed to get a second and a half (or something like that) closer to you in that lap before the pits :p Took my risks.

Lap 7 and I was 5 seconds behind you (then I got to 3.5 or so in the beginning of the last lap, the closest I was in the entire race). Some time later I did a little mistake in a chicane that cost me something more than a second. From then on it was a (very fun) battle in the distance. I was starting to feel tired and getting tunnel vision, but I had to keep it up. Every sector beeping sound woke me up xD You did very very good toxa, you seem to be very cool-headed and regular. That was my most regular and... fast and effective online race ever, and I could barely get close to you after almost 100km! It was really awesome.

Racing at night was beautiful, I loved watching the lights behind me in the long straights and toxa's red lights when he was braking. Very very nice. I want to thank everyone that raced and Metal. The only thing that left a sour taste in my mouth was the apparent difference in performance that some cars had. Some of them couldn't compete at all. It was a real shame.

I still don't know what my fastest laptime is but I'll post it as soon as I'm done watching the replay. I just saw that toxa's 3.56'835 was done in lap three, no wonder you got away :p

I hope I'm not forgetting anything important. I'll post some pictures later.

ashk

Congrats on the win toxa, well deserved :) I think if I stayed on the track we would have made a much bigger gap to the rest the way we were exchanging positions and slipstreaming eachother.

Lap 3 wasn't the only time I messed up though :p As I said yesterday, I had a terrible yet exciting race. My car setup wasn't very good, I went low downforce since I managed to handle it in practice but I had problems keeping it consistent in the main race. That's why I was a bit slower through the corners and took some weird lines, as I think some of you may have noticed. Even then, every time I made I mistake I managed to claw my way back only to make another one soon :p The last one being braking too late into the first Ford chicane - I didn't want to end up cutting it so I slowed down a lot and Dibbz just said "Thank you very much for this nice 4th place" and went past :p

After this race I think I hate slipstream as much as Toxa.

ashk said:

Me too. It needs to be toned down.

My fastest lap was 3.58'510 with no slipstream. Thanks to that I got to +3.8, but only one lap remained.

By the way, those that used the Astra, would you mind sharing your setup? It could be interesting, and I guess this race's setup won't be too useful in most tracks (and the rest of the league of course).

Toxa

Risk Breaker said:
Yeah, I want to apologize again for tha t...

I can assure you that this accident was more than strong enough to damage both cars with full damages. even a small bump is enough to screw up the race with full damages.
the game is very forgiving when light damages is on but with full damages you must be extremely careful during the race.

when nab messed up the gap between me and you/ufra was 7 second during the first half of the race and 6 second right before my pit stop .
my pit stop strategy was around lap 6-8 it was funny to see both of you decided to follow me in the pit xD
after my pit I lost 2 second (gap 4 second) after lap 7 the gap was 5 second and dow to 3 second in the last lap.

after my pit stop I was worried by corner cutting (I don't want to be penalized after the race) I decided to be less aggressive and ensure victory.

after lap 3 my laptimes was always 3.59

thank you for the compliment

Toxa

ashk said:
Congrats on the win toxa, well deserved :) I think if I stayed on the track we would have made a much bigger gap to the rest the way we were exchanging positions and slipstreaming eachother.

Lap 3 wasn't the only time I messed up though :p As I said yesterday, I had a terrible yet exciting race. My car setup wasn't very good, I went low downforce since I managed to handle it in practice but I had problems keeping it consistent in the main race. That's why I was a bit slower through the corners and took some weird lines, as I think some of you may have noticed. Even then, every time I made I mistake I managed to claw my way back only to make another one soon :p The last one being braking too late into the first Ford chicane - I didn't want to end up cutting it so I slowed down a lot and Dibbz just said "Thank you very much for this nice 4th place" and went past :p

thank you

yeah I noticed you were always slower in corner your car seemed hard to handle.

the splitstream is completely unrealistic in this game the whole race was all about splistream every straight line every lap ... but that was inevitable on a track like Le Mans.

somemone who's actually slower than you can put the pressure on you during the entire race with splistream ...

it was funny to see in the replay that niks did the same mistake than you xD same lap, same car, same mistake

Niks

QtU69.png

LhQbo.png
Length: 2.81mi/4526 m Longest Straight: 0.92mi/1475 m Elevation Change: 121.4ft/37,0 m Corners: 14​
Race lap preview video:
COMING SOON!

Race starts in:
t1301778000z0.png

How to join:
Just post in this thread that you want to join the race and what car you'll be using so you can be added to the list. Priority will be given to members with the least races. Add the PS3 account "GT5NRL" to your friends list if you haven't done it yet, and on race day join the private lounge a couple of minutes before the race time.​

Substitute Drivers:
If you are not registered for this race, but would still like to race, you are free to join the server as long as it doesn't fill up, if for some reason a registered player isn't available you might fill in for him. But you MUST follow these guidelines while on the server.​
  • DO NOT enter the track unless asked to do so by the race organizer.
  • You will be given priority to replace someone from your own team.
  • No one guarantees you will actually race.
  • If the person you are replacing arrives during practice or qualifying you MUST leave the track for him to join.
  • If the server is full and a registered players are missing you will be asked to leave the server.

Player conduct while on the server:
  • When the race organizer wants to start the event, please keep chatter to a minimum.
  • Qualifying will start 10 minutes after race time. Use the time to warm up.
  • All members registered on the race must join the track. Substitute players will only join the track when asked to do so by the race organizer.
  • Before qualifying starts we will do a synch check, followed by a 1 lap race. (to reset times)
  • Qualifying will start immediately after the 1 lap race and the full race set to start after 10 minutes.
  • All the players that were in the previous 1 lap race must join the track right after it ends and start posting their times.
  • During qualifying DO NOT quit to the lounge.
  • Please be extra careful during the first corner, and the first lap in general.
  • You must do at least 1 mandatory pit stop during the race.

Players Participating in Round 4 (0/12):
  • Team Redline - UFRA - Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG '08
  • Team Redline -
  • Team Metal Gear Racing -
  • Team Metal Gear Racing -
  • Team FR4WD -
  • Team FR4WD -
  • Team FWTC -
  • Team FWTC -
  • Raven Racing Int. -
  • Raven Racing Int. -
  • Deep Speed -
  • Deep Speed -

ashk

weekend_warrior said:
Gah, Fuji again?

The good thing is if you've prepared yourself for the SuperGT race you won't need to spend much time practicing again :p My SuperGT race there was pretty exciting, I'm anxious to see how these cars do there. Also, I miss the chicane :(

brentech

ashk said:
Also, I miss the chicane :(
I made a few akward laps there before leaving yesterday. Everytime I came up on that section, I over braked in preparation for the chicane. Felt silly.

Not sure if I can make this race or not. I know I can't make whatever event is going on the weekend after, I'll be making a trip to DC

ashk

brentech said:
I made a few akward laps there before leaving yesterday. Everytime I came up on that section, I over braked in preparation for the chicane. Felt silly.

Not sure if I can make this race or not. I know I can't make whatever event is going on the weekend after, I'll be making a trip to DC

First lap I did yesterday after the race, I almost crashed into the wall. Then I saw that I can go straight :p

I'm expecting this race to be closer than the previous two. This track is much more open and easier to get consistent on.

brentech

weekend_warrior said:
Round 6 should be Indy Road Course. And either a dirt track or go-karts for our last special event.
I love the Indy road course. Have never done serious laps though. Always turns into a driftfest for me, so fun.

I like Fuji's chicane but I suck in the overall track.

Anyway, just wanted to post my Astra settings:

Aero: 35/57

Ballast: 100kg (total 1100kg)
B. Position: 3

Power limiter: 73.8% - 423BHP

High RPM Turbo

Transmission set to 310 with a little longer 6th gear (0.934)

LSD: 12 - 22 - 16

Ride Height: -7/-4
Spring rate: 14.5/13.4
Dampers (ext): 4/6
Dampers (comp): 5/7
Anti-roll bars: 6/5
Camber: 1.3/0.7
Toe: -0.07/0.16
Brake balance: 6/5 changed to 4/8 (protip by brentech) mid race.

Maybe a couple of pics later.

Angst

Risk Breaker said:
I like Fuji's chicane but I suck in the overall track.

Anyway, just wanted to post my Astra settings:

Aero: 35/57

Ballast: 100kg (total 1100kg)
B. Position: 3

Power limiter: 73.8% - 423BHP

High RPM Turbo

Transmission set to 310 with a little longer 6th gear (0.934)

LSD: 12 - 22 - 16

Ride Height: -7/-4
Spring rate: 14.5/13.4
Dampers (ext): 4/6
Dampers (comp): 5/7
Anti-roll bars: 6/5
Camber: 1.3/0.7
Toe: -0.07/0.16
Brake balance: 6/5 changed to 4/8 (protip by brentech) mid race.

Maybe a couple of pics later.
I would have lowered the car a bit (don't know if that improves wind resistance, but it does improve the stability.
LSD settings are, IMO, too conservative. I usually go with a higher acceleration and braking sensitivity. It tends to make the car more unstable, but if you can control it you will be a bit faster.
Brake balance seems good and that was a very good tip from brentech. Moving the balance to the back decreases tyre wear and makes the car turn into corners better.

brentech

Angst said:
Brake balance seems good and that was a very good tip from brentech. Moving the balance to the back decreases tyre wear and makes the car turn into corners better.
You can thank yourself here. This was actually a discussion about our Super GT car choice+setup. I tried moving my brake balance the other day and had good success with it (after you suggested going this route). =D

Angst

brentech said:
You can thank yourself here. This was actually a discussion about our Super GT car choice+setup. I tried moving my brake balance the other day and had good success with it (after you suggested going this route). =D
k, thanks Angst :) lol

Thanks for the tips, specially regarding the LSD :p I had understeer in a couple of corners, I'll try to set it a bit higher. I usually have my problems tuning the LSD.

I'm uploading my.. shit, wrong thread, thanks Angst.

Some pictures:

PRuW6l.jpg

8NcL9l.jpg

vuMWXl.jpg

pFC9vl.jpg

w9Ugul.jpg

waonll.jpg

Akp64l.jpg

Is it just me or does Imgur "large thumbnail" have an awful lot of compression? Full album here: http://bit.ly/foeEIc

ashk

Risk Breaker said:
Thanks for the tips, specially regarding the LSD :p I had understeer in a couple of corners, I'll try to set it a bit higher. I usually have my problems tuning the LSD.

I'm uploading my track, Eifel Castle, now. It isn't the best track in the world but it's fast, curvy, bumpy, doesn't have those annoying "blind fast corner right on top of a hill" and has this cute little castle with a hot princess watching us race* that gives a little bit of personality to the plain environment. Tell me what you think, if you try it.

*Not included in the free version.

I think raising the LSD values increases understeer.

Blind fast corners on tops of hills are the worst thing in the world.

ashk said:
I think raising the LSD values increases understeer.

Blind fast corners on tops of hills are the worst thing in the world.

Won't increasing the values for a RWD differential lock the diff and cause oversteer?

Haha, see guys? That's the kind of problems I have when tweaking it myself. I'm not really sure what do the different settings do, and reading GTPlanet about it is even more confusing, and that's a lot.

I usually change it little by little until I'm fine with it and leave it, and sometimes I run it completely stock :/

Angst

Risk Breaker said:

I'm uploading my track, Eifel Castle, now. It isn't the best track in the world but it's fast, curvy, bumpy, doesn't have those annoying "blind fast corner right on top of a hill" and has this cute little castle with a hot princess watching us race* that gives a little bit of personality to the plain environment. Tell me what you think, if you try it.

*Not included in the free version.
I think you're in the wrong thread again with the user created track stuff... :) The competition is for the SuperGT thread.

Risk Breaker said:
Haha, see guys? That's the kind of problems I have when tweaking it myself. I'm not really sure what do the different settings do, and reading GTPlanet about it is even more confusing, and that's a lot.

I usually change it little by little until I'm fine with it and leave it, and sometimes I run it completely stock :/

With understeer, you could somewhat bodge a fix by making the rear wheels lock. This isn't really ideal because it's just going to hurt your tyres and perhaps even your cornering speed.

Try softening the front if your vehicle is understeering. Springs, anti-roll bars and ride height.

ashk

33-Hit-Combo said:
Won't increasing the values for a RWD differential lock the diff and cause oversteer?

I don't know, but I'd guess no. I'm not an expert, what I know about those settings is what I read in the in-game manual and IIRC it says to lower the LSD values if you experience understeer.

Top Bottom