• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 | NeoGAF Racing League & NRPC

Niks

Big photo Recap!

CJstu.jpg

dbJAK.jpg

ZEYmL.jpg

fetda.jpg

uyJQb.jpg

jBPvf.jpg

mYR0T.jpg

5k5us.jpg

zuS8q.jpg

buHq8.jpg

9Va2o.jpg

tJbbT.jpg

P04Eh.jpg

L0SZ5.jpg

L1nNj.jpg

Uv17o.jpg

vlOtK.jpg

9znLz.jpg

Eqezk.jpg

ashk

Kaze13 said:
MM was battling me. Haven't heard a peep (him being banned doesn't help) but he has the right because we were neck and neck for a few laps.

Maybe your connection cleared up by then. I only saw you at the start of the race and you were having problems then. I don't have any problem with you, in fact I enjoyed the end of the Trial Mountain race very much. But believe me when I say that when you're lagging it's impossible to race you normally, and dangereous to even be around you, as I've found out in the last SuperGT practice. IMO you shouldn't be allowed to race if you're lagging that much.

Angst

ashk said:
Maybe your connection cleared up by then. I only saw you at the start of the race and you were having problems then. I don't have any problem with you, in fact I enjoyed the end of the Trial Mountain race very much. But believe me when I say that when you're lagging it's impossible to race you normally, and dangereous to even be around you, as I've found out in the last SuperGT practice. IMO you shouldn't be allowed to race if you're lagging that much.
I agree with you ashk. You (kaze) is a very good and fair racer and I enjoy having you in the league(s). But when you're having the lagging issues it doesn't matter how clean and fair you race as your car is warping all over the place, making things impossible for the other drivers.

Angst said:
I agree with you ashk. You (kaze) is a very good and fair racer and I enjoy having you in the league(s). But when you're having the lagging issues it doesn't matter how clean and fair you race as your car is warping all over the place, making things impossible for the other drivers.

It was pretty hilarious watching about 10 cars warp drift and fly from the spectators POV. I didn't realise some of that carried over to the race itself!

Dibbz

Been working on my car today and managed to get times down by 3 seconds on Deep Forest, so hopefully I'll be able to compete with the guys at the front of the pack next time. I'll share my car again later so you guys can grab an updated thumbnail.

Kaze13

ashk said:

Angst said:

Damn. It happened this past few days. It wasn't an issue in the last race was it (Special stage and Trial Mountain). Let me sort it out instead of calling for my head already.

Also, did the guy with the most to lose in the last race (MM) mention anything? Like I said before, he was in a good spot and if I ruined his racing experience, I'd like to know. The SuperGT was just practice, nothing on the line.

When I watched that 1st lap replay, I wasn't the only one warping. The EVO was also doing it although not as drastic as me. Finally, the only casualty that I saw from my warping was the white evo and he didn't even crash. After that, I had distance on both ends before my dance with MM.

ashk

Kaze13 said:
Damn. It happened this past few days. It wasn't an issue in the last race was it (Special stage and Trial Mountain). Let me sort it out instead of calling for my head already.

Also, did the guy with the most to lose in the last race (MM) mention anything? Like I said before, he was in a good spot and if I ruined his racing experience, I'd like to know. The SuperGT was just practice, nothing on the line.

When I watched that 1st lap replay, I wasn't the only one warping. The EVO was also doing it although not as drastic as me. Finally, the only casualty that I saw from my warping was the white evo and he didn't even crash. After that, I had distance on both ends before my dance with MM.

I didn't mean to offend you, I just wanted to bring to your attention that it was a serious problem which has happened twice now. I've only raced with you three times so I didn't know if this was a common thing with your connection. Luckily, this time there weren't any serious consequences, but I want to avoid potential uncomfortable situations both for you and other racers in the future. I guess you could say that my reason for complaining was selfish - I know what it's like to have a race ruined with no fault of my own and I don't want to have more races ruined by problems that could have been avoided.

The reason I brought up SuperGT was because it was then that I experienced for myself what it was like racing a lagging car. You're right, there was nothing to lose there, but the same thing could have happened in the NRL race.

I didn't watch the replay since yesterday so I might be wrong here, but I remember seeing you hitting a few cars with at least one getting damage.

Kaze13

ashk said:
I didn't mean to offend you, I just wanted to bring to your attention that it was a serious problem which has happened twice now. I've only raced with you three times so I didn't know if this was a common thing with your connection. Luckily, this time there weren't any serious consequences, but I want to avoid potential uncomfortable situations both for you and other racers in the future. I guess you could say that my reason for complaining was selfish - I know what it's like to have a race ruined with no fault of my own and I don't want to have more races ruined by problems that could have been avoided.

The reason I brought up SuperGT was because it was then that I experienced for myself what it was like racing a lagging car. You're right, there was nothing to lose there, but the same thing could have happened in the NRL race.

I didn't watch the replay since yesterday so I might be wrong here, but I remember seeing you hitting a few cars with at least one getting damage.

No offense taken but I already took note of your and others concern from your first post. You raced against me at Trial Mountain. You practiced with me numerous times. You only raised the flag during Super GT and then on this race. I'm sorry but you were a few car behind and your direct concern was not even my orange car. There was another orange car (Mush's car?) that exhibited a more direct threat to you. He may have well been a casualty of related events effected by me but that's another matter. My point is, yes my connection was fucked, but you had more pressing concerns directly in front of you that I thought would be more pressing. I don't need to extrapolate from that. People wigged out on my screen too you know and I didn't hit anybody head on.

I only made contact with one car and only because we were gunning for the same spot. The white evo was on the inside and I was outside looking to take the inside in the next turn. He drifted out slightly whilst I needed to make the line stick to make the pass.

brentech

I think you're taking this a little too personally when it's just an Internet problem. No one questions your driving skill, just the reliability of your connection atm.

Beyond that, I do want to say that while you may say that the problem isn't costing people damage, it is worth noting that people essentially have to brake or get off the gas so they're not around you. So it is kind of a big deal in regards to what transpires the rest of a race.

It seems like a larger issue early in the races and goes away later on. Not sure if it's cause there isn't as many cars around, or that the screen isn't reloading all that info. Hopefully it gets worked out.

Again, it's not you that the problem lies. Just an issue that gets hairy, specially when people already have problems starting a race of safe under normal circumstances.

Kaze13

brentech said:
I think you're taking this a little too personally when it's just an Internet problem. No one questions your driving skill, just the reliability of your connection atm.

Beyond that, I do want to say that while you may say that the problem isn't costing people damage, it is worth noting that people essentially have to brake or get off the gas so they're not around you. So it is kind of a big deal in regards to what transpires the rest of a race.

It seems like a larger issue early in the races and goes away later on. Not sure if it's cause there isn't as many cars around, or that the screen isn't reloading all that info. Hopefully it gets worked out.

Again, it's not you that the problem lies. Just an issue that gets hairy, specially when people already have problems starting a race of safe under normal circumstances.

I was merely explaining some points that were brought up. I already said I'll try and fix it. Then it gets brought up again by the same person. Again, I have to say what I have already said and then went into more detail about what happened because it was brought up. Normal parts of discussions I guess.

Once again, I'll try and fix it. It wasn't a problem in the first race. I'll figure it out or I'll have to sit out.

Looka like an action packed event. Really bummed I couldn't make it but I was busy moving into a new apartment. Great news though, I am here, set up and ready for next weekend. I need a good NGRL fix. I miss not having the Super GT races on the weekend. That last round of Super GT was an brilliant.

Great job Niks. Kaze solid result as well.

Broseybrose

ashk said:
Broseybrose - Most of the time I was passing you I had to do something drastic to avoid you. I don't mind slower cars but you're unpredictable; you should just keep to the racing line while getting passed. Also, be more careful when rejoining.
I have a serious question about this. I had my trans set to 168mph for this race. Does that sound right to you? Cause i felt like the slowest car on the track. During the whole week of practice, my absolute best time was 1:19.999 haha. And my front wheels never once left the ground during DF laps, so when i saw that triple-airborne shot i was like whaaa?

Also, what track for Saturday's race?

ashk

Broseybrose said:
I have a serious question about this. I had my trans set to 168mph for this race. Does that sound right to you? Cause i felt like the slowest car on the track. During the whole week of practice, my absolute best time was 1:19.999 haha. And my front wheels never once left the ground during DF laps, so when i saw that triple-airborne shot i was like whaaa?

The transmission is ok, I think mine was at 270kph which should be about the same. During the race I noticed you were slow on the back straight and that's where I caught up with you a few times. The reason is probably that you were taking the corner before the straight too slowly. It's a relatively fast 4th gear corner, so if you take it too slow your speed on the straight will suffer and you will lose a lot of lap time. Same thing with the last corner. I don't remember seeing you there, but if you didn't get airborne before the braking into turn 1 you might have been taking it too slow also.

@kaze - sorry I kept bringing it up, I'll shut up now :X

Broseybrose said:

Hey, I watched the entire thing on Saturday and saw you a few times too outside of the race. I think the main thing is your driving line, a little improvement on that should bump you up quite a lot.

The four wheel drive characteristic means that rather than hugging the apex, your car could benefit by initially running a bit wide in to a corner which then allows you to take the rest of the bend/corner in a flatter manner because it can lay the power down easily.

That's all I can help with. Hope it doesn't come off sounding like criticism or anything!

EDIT: To contribute to ashk's post, the corner(s) before the 2nd straight, try to use the entire width of the track up to the white line. Even if you're half a car short from it, it'll cost you seconds because the straight is so long.

Broseybrose

Thanks, i appreciate both your inputs. Sounds like i need to do some practicing w driving line on just to learn it.

Still curious what the next track is.

Broseybrose said:
Thanks, i appreciate both your inputs. Sounds like i need to do some practicing w driving line on just to learn it.

The in-game driving line isnt super helpful, it usually recommends the most conservative live, and you really need to be more aggressive to be fast. What I do is save the replay after we have one of our 5 lap practices races during the week, and then watch it from the perspective of the faster racers. Go into hood-cam/bumper-cam/chase-cam, which ever you use, and watch their racing line, and take special note, even write down, the speeds they go through each corner with. Then you'll have a good comparison to how you drive.

Kaze13

ashk said:
@kaze - sorry I kept bringing it up, I'll shut up now :X

Don't worry about it. I was just addressing the points you brought up. Bro hugs all around.

weekend_warrior said:
The in-game driving line isnt super helpful, it usually recommends the most conservative live, and you really need to be more aggressive to be fast. What I do is save the replay after we have one of our 5 lap practices races during the week, and then watch it from the perspective of the faster racers. Go into hood-cam/bumper-cam/chase-cam, which ever you use, and watch their racing line, and take special note, even write down, the speeds they go through each corner with. Then you'll have a good comparison to how you drive.

Here's the funny thing. I followed the line in early GT's, then I deviated (when I thought I was fast)...then I found myself close to the line again. It is conservative but that doesn't mean that it isn't fast.

My tip for that portion of the track is to cut it tight with a nice angle out of the 2nd apex. You see the tire marks? That is basically my line. I kiss the candy stripes (curbs) but not actually get on it. Getting on the curb with stiffer suspension = being pushed further out and sometimes into the wall.

In qualifying, I will square the corner even more to get more exit speed. The downside to that is that you are exiting very close to the wall. The wall doesn't seem to damage your car (odd) but it certainly slows you down. During the race, I'll keep it tight and with a little bit more error cushion (<- secret to consistency).

Broseybrose said:

IMO, put driving line on, learn the track the standard GT way. Then, turn it off and learn the track through your own eyes. The down side to the driving line is this, the braking marker (red portion of line) is great but eventually misleading. Once you turn it off, you end up having to learn the track over again. Instead of following the line, you look for other cues on the track itself. This is much more useful and is actually a real life skill you can use.

Here's a pro tip, in GT tracks, there is usually a very distinct braking marker on the track itself (#'s or something else). In fact, there is also an exit marker as well. Look around and you will see what I mean.

Angst

4rvYz.png

JOcuA.jpgg

NOTE: PP RESTRICTIONS MAY CHANGE PRIOR TO THE RACE. KEEP CHECKING THIS THREAD FOR UPDATES!

NEW PP RESTRICTION! 580PP

Special Stage 2 - Circuit de la Sarthe
RGeH5.png
Length: 8.47mi/13629 m Longest Straight: 1.04mi/1679 m Elevation Change: 122.4ft/37,3 m Corners: 38​
Race lap preview video:
COMING SOON!

Race starts in:
t1301173200z0.png
How to join:
Just post in this thread that you want to join the race and what car you'll be using so you can be added to the list. Priority will be given to members with the lowest Individual Points. Add the PS3 account "GT5NRL" to your friends list if you haven't done it yet, and on race day join the private lounge a couple of minutes before the race time.​

Allowed cars:
  • Alfa Romeo 155 2.5 V6 TI '93
  • Audi A4 Touring Car '04
  • Audi Abt Audi TT-R Touring Car '02
  • Audi R8 LMS Race Car '09
  • BMW M3 GTR Race Car '01
  • Lexus IS F Racing Concept '08
  • Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evolution II Touring Car '92
  • Mercedes-Benz CLK Touring Car '00
  • Opel Astra Touring Car (Opel Team Phoenix) '00
  • Opel Calibra Touring Car '94
  • Vauxhall Astra Super Touring Car '00
  • Vauxhall Calibra Super Touring Car '94

Player conduct while on the server:
  • When the race organizer wants to start the event, please keep chatter to a minimum.
  • Qualifying will start 10 minutes after race time. Use the time to warm up.
  • All members registered on the race must join the track.
  • Before qualifying starts we will do a synch check, followed by a 1 lap race. (to reset times)
  • Qualifying will start immediately after the 1 lap race and the full race set to start after 10 minutes.
  • All the players that were in the previous 1 lap race must join the track right after it ends and start posting their times.
  • During qualifying DO NOT quit to the lounge.
  • Please be extra careful during the first corner, and the first lap in general.
  • You must do at least 1 mandatory pit stop during the race.

Players Participating in Round 4 (13/16):
  • 01 - Metalmurphy - Audi R8 LMS Race Car '09
  • 02 - Ashk - BMW M3 GTR Race Car '01
  • 03 - brentech - Audi ABT TT-R Touring Car '02
  • 04 - Dibbz - Mercedes-Benz CLK Touring Car '00
  • 05 - Niks - BMW M3 GTR Race Car '01
  • 06 - Toxa - Audi Abt Audi TT-R Touring Car '02
  • 07 - SunhiLegend - Audi R8 LMS Race Car '09
  • 08 - Kaze13 - Lexus IS F Racing Concept '08
  • 09 - gutterboy44 - Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evolution II Touring Car '92
    [*]10 - UFRA - Opel Astra Touring Car (Opel Team Phoenix) '00
    [*]11 - Risk Breaker - <no car chosen>
    [*]12 - h3ro - Lexus IS F Racing Concept '08 (spot semi-open)
    [*]13 - Broseybrose - Mercedes-Benz CLK Touring Car '00
    [*]14 -
    [*]15 -
    [*]16 -

ashk

Hell yeah, sign me up. I'll most likely be using the BMW since they're my favourites in touring cars / GT, but I'll do some testing first to make sure.

Kaze13

Got the new-ish router today (Linksys WRT54G) and will configure it for maximum hoggage while gimping everyone else lol.

I am not the biggest fan of La Sarthe but I should be able to make it for that race. Don't know what car yet though. I don't have any of those cars yet...I think? I don't remember lol

brentech

Kaze13 said:
I am not the biggest fan of La Sarthe . . .
That's why I haven't chose which of the two I will drive yet. Going to take each of the Audi touring's on a lap or two and see which one handles the crazy ass bumps better. I'm sure some suspension tuning could minimize the effect, but sometimes that comes at the cost of steering capability.

Not a horrible track, but surprisingly plain for a world track with such great recognition.

ashk

brentech said:
That's why I haven't chose which of the two I will drive yet. Going to take each of the Audi touring's on a lap or two and see which one handles the crazy ass bumps better. I'm sure some suspension tuning could minimize the effect, but sometimes that comes at the cost of steering capability.

Not a horrible track, but surprisingly plain for a world track with such great recognition.

I know what you mean. Driving the track by yourself can be boring since most of it is full-throttle straight-line stuff. But that's one of the reasons it's the endurance race of the season - it puts a high load on the engine, drivetrain and brakes. Anything short of an endurance race makes the track so boring that they don't even bother to host anything else on it so large portions of it double as a public road.

Oh yeah, I definitely want in on this. Love the cars and track even if I dont have much practice on it. Its late here and im posting from my shitty phone so i'll choose my car tomorrow, sorry.

Kaze13

The only upside to this course are the Nascar like drafting battles and the braking battles that are the norm. Other than that...BORING! lol

Purchased a used router earlier. $20. WRT54G. Finished setting up the PS3 with QoS priority and static IP settings. Used port Forwarding as well. My speed at the moment is 9MB down / 1.7MB up. Good enough? I have not been randomly disconnected yet but I'll give it some rigorous testing either later tonight or tomorrow.

Question: Somebody mentioned a tomato compatible router in the SuperGT thread. Mine happens to be compatible. Is it worth it?

I'd like to throttle wifi connections as well. The dbag's local connection is already put on "low" priority lol.

h3ro

I'd hate to take a spot from some one who is definitely going to be available as I'm going to be on call Saturday again. Can I list my self as the first alternate?

I'll be around and would be able to step in for someone if I was free. :)

If I do race, I'll be running a Lexus IS F Racing Concept '08.

brentech

ashk said:
I know what you mean. Driving the track by yourself can be boring since most of it is full-throttle straight-line stuff. But that's one of the reasons it's the endurance race of the season - it puts a high load on the engine, drivetrain and brakes. Anything short of an endurance race makes the track so boring that they don't even bother to host anything else on it so large portions of it double as a public road.
I happened to catch the middle portion of the older movie 'Le Mans' with Steve McQueen. You get a sense of what that track is about in that film.

Was almost funny watching them drive that track and looking for certain turns or landmarks to figure out where on the course they were, all from playing GT5. Really quite amazing.

I had a large interest in cars when I was younger, but this game definitely re-ignited that fire. I've never been one to care too much about racing, and still find NASCAR/Indy and even F1 almost unbearable to watch on TV, but I have found a few SuperGT replays on the SPEED network that were of great interest. Incredible how they fit both classes and concept cars onto tracks like Laguna Seca at the same time.

ashk

Broseybrose said:
Having a hard time deciding between the Benz CLK '00 and Audi A4 '04. Thoughts?

From my very limited testing on untuned cars with hard tyres I'd say the CLK handles better and is a bit quicker.

@kaze - Do you have access to the computer which is hogging your bandwith? I used to stealth-install bandwith limiting programs on my brother's computer so he wouldn't mess up my ping :p It's a good solution.

Dibbz

UFRA said:
No weather, In-game race time: 20:30. Real time progression. Expect the race to end near night still with some visibility. :)
Sounds good.

Brosey I'd go with the CLK. From my experience the handling is amazing, although I've not got any other DTM cars to comapre it with.

Angst

Crap.

Should I go to a party and get drunk or do I stay home and race with DTM cars? :p Party with some nice Norwegian girls sounds good, but so does DTM racing on Sarthe. lol

And the course is awesome! Yeah, the long straight has lots of slipstreaming, but it's not exactly smooth so you really have to concentrate. And when that hair pin finally comes you think you've slowed the car down enough to open the door and step out, but then realize you're still doing 120 kph and it feels like a stand-still due to tunnel vision. And then the winding, high speed back straights with those tricky corners. Track is anything but boring. :)

It looks like there's no way to get the Alfa 155 to 635PP so as much as I love it, I don't think it'll use it. I'll still test it and compare it to the other cars I have (M3 GT-R and Abt Audi TT). I may have to buy the IS F or do the Nurburgring 4 hours race... I'm still level 31 though ><

2000 GMT is a nice time for practice, I'll try to be there.

Angst said:
Crap.

Should I go to a party and get drunk or do I stay home and race with DTM cars? :p Party with some nice Norwegian girls sounds good, but so does DTM racing on Sarthe. lol

And the course is awesome! Yeah, the long straight has lots of slipstreaming, but it's not exactly smooth so you really have to concentrate. And when that hair pin finally comes you think you've slowed the car down enough to open the door and step out, but then realize you're still doing 120 kph and it feels like a stand-still due to tunnel vision. And then the winding, high speed back straights with those tricky corners. Track is anything but boring. :)

Do what I did most Super GT races. Get drunk and race. I had a pretty solid buzz going by the last lap of the Nordschliefe.

Angst

SunhiLegend said:
Uploaded my track to share. Practice still on in 30 mins right?
I think you're in the wrong thread partner :) at least the part about the track.

Practice in 20 minutes in the lounge

Top Bottom