• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 Prologue Time Trials

TylerD

We are going to pass the time waiting for TGS by running some time trials challenges in our favorite photorealistic racer GT5:prologue.

Points System: 1st-10, 2nd-8, 3rd-6, 4th-5, 5th-4, 6th-3, 7th 2, 8th and any other participants 1! :D

Challenge #1 BMW M3, London Forward, No Driving Aids (ABS,TCS,Stability,Raceline), Pro Physics, S2 tires, due Sunday evening 10 PM (GMT -6). Save your ghost and take a screen of the ghost details to verify time and date.

Challenge #1 Results:
Wax Free Vanilla
0'56.072 10pts
Lion Heart
0'56.952 8pts
Tyler D
0'57.534 6pts
Cigol
0'57.990 5pts

Challenge #2 Nissan GTR 07', Daytona Road Course, No Driving Aids (ABS,TCS,Stability,Raceline), Pro Physics, S2 tires. Save a ghost and take a pic of your ghost details to verify time and date.

Starts: Wednesday 08/26 10:00 PM CST (GMT-6)
Ends: Sunday 08/29 10:00 PM CST (GMT-6)

2009-Nissan-GT-R-30.jpg

800px-Daytona_International_Speedway_-_Road_Course.svg.png

Cigol

Is it worth making this a points system? So 10 points for the fastest, 8 for the second fastest and so on. At least then if some alien posts a time of 56 :)lol) there's incentive for the rest of us to bother with the challenge and have a go each week. The faster guys will inevitably win anyway, but at least this way the slower guys can have a bit of a scuffle.

Just a suggestion, I don't know how this sort of thing usually works.

I guess it works here but I liked how in the other thread we would post our times while waiting for news and shit. oh well....

Wax Free Vanilla said:
s2 time: 56.4

i'm total shit in the last corner, the #1 ghost i downloaded is going through it like its glued to the road and just pulls away.

Dear lord. I tried this track/car before (briefly) and my best was 17.025....I dl'd the gamefaqs savefile and now my time is gone!

My new time is 17.665. I use to be able to flew through the long right hander full throttle...those were the good ol days.

TylerD

Updated with a point system. Everybody that participates can score a point so all the slow guys still get to put some numbers on the board!

I have raced this track about 10% as much as all the other ones. My times are terrible so far.

58.995 sec is my best right now. :lol

My new time is 56.952.

I was ahead so many times in the first 60% of the race but I ALWAYS choke. If im ahead I get nervous and brake too early/late, or turn into the railings. I make mistakes I never make when I see that blue ticker. I came close to Wax's time (+0.4 with two turns left) and I stepped on the brakes one sign too early :lol. That was the most frustrating thing, complete panic.

Times flys when you play this game, its incredible.

TylerD

I played GT5:p high for the first time tonight. The best lap I managed this afternoon was 58.385 and playing high tonight I was lapping pretty consistently around 59 with a 59.006, 59.600 and a 58.999. I don't think I will be able to go too much faster than 58.385 because I can't hit the apex at turn 3 very well. And when you miss that you are probably going to screw up 4 and either slam into the corner of it or carry too much speed and slam into the straight wall there. Time trials are so good on GT.

picture.php

This game takes a lot of practice and you can continually get better. You really have to master each corner to improve your times. As soon as i get turn 3 better I can start working on a few other problem corners and start to slowly drop my times. It is glaringly obvious that I spent next to no time on London working through the events. It is a great testament to the realism of the game when you have to learn each individual corner.

I spent about 10 minutes just driving around on one lap and looking at every little detail around the streets of London in a California. When you take the time to really look at the details in Prologue you can see why it takes them so long to make the game. IMO there is no other driving simulation that gives you the "real world" feel more than Gran Turismo. The others might give a better racing feel, but in Gran Turismo YOU are driving through those environments. Again, the level of detail is incredible. I also did a warmup lap with the whole tire warming routine and a couple of flying laps in the F2007. I was actually able to break the tires free most of the time flooring it in first and jerking my steering wheel back and forth. :D

The NPCs that are working and standing around the car in the paddock are also animated extremely well.

I could not believe how real this game is. I am going to get a good nights rest and see if I can improve on my M3 lap time.

Cigol

I've done a 57.965, but that's it as far as immediate gains go. The first and last turns seem to be the big killers in terms of time for me, and a bad entry off turn 4 into 5 can cause problems as well. Anyway, how do we confirm the times, do I have to take a picture or something?

TylerD

Looks like screens will work this time around but after this time we can upload the ghosts. If you could just take a screen of your ghost details that should be fine for now.

Awesome time WFV!

My best so far is a 58.085. You don't have to have your submission posted by 10 PM CST (GMT -6) tonight but you do have to have your final attempt completed. There is date and time stamp on the ghost details so that is good.

IMAG0001.jpg

57.534 is my best. I give up! Still not able to carry enough speed through turns 2, 3 and 4.

TylerD

I am going to update the OP with the results from round 1 later today. Hopefully we can get more people involved with the next one and I will mention it in the GT5 thread again to see if we can get more interest.

I had a lot of fun with the first one.

Cigol

With all the hankering over GT5 news I couldn't resist booting it up again, so some time trials sound good to me. Hopefully some other folks get the itch as well.

IMG_0119.jpg

Well, I forgot to save my ghost so I cant do a pic like the OP but here I am at the rankings screen. Next time i'll save my ghost.

1z1fblg.jpg

Iknos

I tried doing London in the M3 and I got 58.193...I don't think I'll be that competitive in this competition.

I also did a few laps on the Road Course and the best I did was 1'59.XXX OUCH

So I probably won't be entering this competition.

Does it matter what your wheel settings are set to? I garner most of us have it on professional just so it feels right but don't the easier settings make counter-steering very easy? So is it a rule you want to be implement for this competition?

I thought it shouldn't matter at first because if you have to counter steer that much that means you've lost a lot of control or friction which should mean a bad time. But I was looking at the #1 time with the GTR on the Daytona Road Course and it at first glance it looks like the guy loses control going too fast into 12 and 13 but is able to regain control at those high speeds with some steering.

TylerD

That is a good point. Yeah, I always use the simulation settings with the wheel and that is something that needs to be implemented into the rules. That would be very hard to verify though.

Down to 1'55.135 after 4 or 5 runs still a long ways off from where I think I can take it.

Cigol

I only did one very quick session with the GTR on Daytona Road (a track I hate in any game :D) and I got a meagre 1.57... so I was well off the pace and decided it wasn't worth photographing (but I did save the ghost just in case).

Does it matter what your wheel settings are set to?
I'm not even sure the wheel settings WORK, I tried lowering force feedback from 10 to 1 and didn't notice a single difference? Either way I have the other setting for the wheel on simulation I think it is, and although I've not tried professional/standard (?), I doubt it has any real impact on times.

...on the other hand Dualshock to Wheel is a big difference.

Top Bottom