• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V NG |OT| You forget a thousand things every day, make sure Chicago is one of 'em

I just started the game. Have they said anything about fixing the dead zones? It's like anything I try to do whether it's aiming or driving, I constantly overshoot where I'm trying to go cause the controls are so bad.

reminder

The fuck are the helicopters in this game!!! The hospital ones almost never show and going into LS Airport or the military base is stupid. Whee the hell are these these things outside of training for them?

You'll get one for Trevor after a specific mission. You can find it then at the airfield near Sandy Shores. Also you can buy a Helipad with Michael and Franklin, where your purchased helicopters will appear. Other than that, i have no idea where in the world they spawn, other than those you already mentioned.

Sure its not your TV?

Nah, it's not my TV. The game definitely has significant input delay. I've been playing FC4 also and that feels great, very respobsive and smooth. Try holding your controller up to the light of your TV while playing GTA V and flicking the right stick left and right, you'll see that the game doesn't register the movement until the stick is almost back in it's original position.

Yeah, replaying this game reminded me how much of a wet blanket Franklin was. The game is built so strongly around Michael and Trevor's relationship that Franklin comes off as an afterthought. During character switching, returning to Michael or Trevor almost always results in something different every time, Michael waking up screaming in his bed or Trevor stumbling around drunk in a field somewhere, but Franklin is either on his computer at his house or washing his car. Just seems like they included his character to be able to portray the hood aspect of Los Santos.

Nah, it's not my TV. The game definitely has significant input delay. I've been playing FC4 also and that feels great, very respobsive and smooth. Try holding your controller up to the light of your TV while playing GTA V and flicking the right stick left and right, you'll see that the game doesn't register the movement until the stick is almost back in it's original position.

It's really also a big deadzone problem. I wonder how this will be handled in the PC version when using kb/m controls. That lag doesn't fly with mouse controls.

Anyway, if R* doesn't, then mods will fix it. And 60fps (hoping it is achievable) reduces lag as well.

Yeah, replaying this game reminded me how much of a wet blanket Franklin was. The game is built so strongly around Michael and Trevor's relationship that Franklin comes off as an afterthought. During character switching, returning to Michael or Trevor almost always results in something different every time, Michael waking up screaming in his bed or Trevor stumbling around drunk in a field somewhere, but Franklin is either on his computer at his house or washing his car. Just seems like they included his character to be able to portray the hood aspect of Los Santos.

I loved Michael at the beginning of the game, but he lost steam for me when Trevor came into town. Makes sense story wise, but he had such an incredible introduction... That first scene at the shrink is unforgettable to me.

Effect

Okay. I picked up the GTA 5 PS4 bundle today. Still debating if I want to keep it or not but in case I do anyone have a good idea of how much time one really could squeeze out of the game?

Reason I ask is that I still plan on keeping my Wii U as my primary system. I'm that big of a Nintendo fan. Especially having picked up Smash Bros and still playing through Bayonetta 1/2. Almost done with 1 and about to tackle 2 in earnest. I also want to get better at Smash Bros and the online being good is a chance for me to get more out of the game. GTA V and TLoU will be the only PS4 purchases for sometime. I've wanted to play both for a long time now and I used to love GTA when it came to GTA3 and Vice City. Was busy with college when San Andreas came out so didn't get to play it and did not like how GTA 4 handled or was setup.

Could I possibly get months worth of time out of GTA V story wise and generally just messing around in the city?
Does the game have different things to collect and find?
Random missions that might appear even after the story is done?
Etc?

Thanks.

Scoot2005

Banned
You'll get one for Trevor after a specific mission. You can find it then at the airfield near Sandy Shores. Also you can buy a Helipad with Michael and Franklin, where your purchased helicopters will appear. Other than that, i have no idea where in the world they spawn, other than those you already mentioned.

Thank you. Was looking for Franklin's heli. Already beat the main story just need to finish up side stuff.

I appreciate the presence of Franklin simply because he's the only protagonist in the game who is not a raging asshole. I think Michael and Trevor are compelling characters but Franklin provides a nice breather in-between those two.

My problem is more with the redundant and juvenile dialogue, but I've come to expect that from Rockstar.

Okay. I picked up the GTA 5 PS4 bundle today. Still debating if I want to keep it or not but in case I do anyone have a good idea of how much time one really could squeeze out of the game?

Reason I ask is that I still plan on keeping my Wii U as my primary system. I'm that big of a Nintendo fan. Especially having picked up Smash Bros and still playing through Bayonetta 1/2. Almost done with 1 and about to tackle 2 in earnest. I also want to get better at Smash Bros and the online being good is a chance for me to get more out of the game. GTA V and TLoU will be the only PS4 purchases for sometime. I've wanted to play both for a long time now and I used to love GTA when it came to GTA3 and Vice City. Was busy with college when San Andreas came out so didn't get to play it and did not like how GTA 4 handled or was setup.

Could I possibly get months worth of time out of GTA V story wise and generally just messing around in the city?
Etc?

Thanks.

You haven't played GTA V at all? You'd be crazy to return it. It is literally the highest rated PS4 game.
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/available/ps4/metascore

Yes, it has several different collectathons (space ship parts, monkeys, letters, peyote, etc.) Lots of random little missions. You can replay missions. Lots of side quests. And there is GTA Online.

Etc?

Thanks.

Geez. Are you not open to new experiences? You act like the PS4 gives you cancer.

Is there a way to increase the FOV while driving in first person mode? It's too narrow for my liking, but I've only found the option to adjust the FOV on foot.

Is there a way to increase the FOV while driving in first person mode? It's too narrow for my liking, but I've only found the option to adjust the FOV on foot.

Nope, there's only an on-foot FoV option as of now. Hopefully Rockstar patch in vehicle FoV options too. Not sure how they overlooked that, to be honest...

Effect

You haven't played GTA V at all? You'd be crazy to return it. It is literally the highest rated PS4 game.
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/available/ps4/metascore

Yes, it has several different collectathons (space ship parts, monkeys, letters, peyote, etc.) Lots of random little missions. You can replay missions. Lots of side quests. And there is GTA Online.

Good to hear. Thanks. I just want to get as much out of the game as possible. The reason I didn't play it before was I figured at some point there would be a PC version and I knew the PS3 version had issues. My goal at the time going forward was to have the setup of 3DS/WiiU/PC as far as gaming goes. It's still that but I've wanted a PS4 for some time and the deal was good even though I'm still having an issue with the price. I'm like that with most big purchases to some degree when they aren't absolute needs or something I've been really excited about and looking forward to.

Geez. Are you not open to new experiences? You act like the PS4 gives you cancer.

Oh I am. Just that I will have to budget my time and money well. The PS4 will be for exclusives or the rare third party game that interest me that clearly isn't on the Wii U or won't run well on the PC due to me not upgrading it and planning on not upgrading it for a while since it seems to still have some life left in it. That's why the amount of value in GTA 5 is key here.

Good to hear. Thanks. I just want to get as much out of the game as possible. The reason I didn't play it before was I figured at some point there would be a PC version and I knew the PS3 version had issues. My goal at the time going forward was to have the setup of 3DS/WiiU/PC as far as gaming goes. It's still that but I've wanted a PS4 for some time and the deal was good even though I'm still having an issue with the price. I'm like that with most big purchases to some degree when they aren't absolute needs or something I've been really excited about and looking forward to.

Oh I am. Just that I will have to budget my time and money well. The PS4 will be for exclusives or the rare third party game that interest me that clearly isn't on the Wii U or won't run well on the PC due to me not upgrading it and planning on not upgrading it for a while since it seems to still have some life left in it. That's why the amount of value in GTA 5 is key here.

You'll definitely have a lot of fun with GTAV/TLOU, and it seems like a nice compliment to your Wii-U. I recommend getting PS Plus if it goes on sale this Black Friday.

Damn, you used to be able to fly low over Fort Zancudo so you wouldn't get a wanted level for around 10-15 seconds, but now they've changed it and you get a wanted level as soon as you enter. I used to use a chopper and fly low into the base to steal a jet. It's much harder to do that now.

Neiteio

I appreciate the presence of Franklin simply because he's the only protagonist in the game who is not a raging asshole. I think Michael and Trevor are compelling characters but Franklin provides a nice breather in-between those two.

My problem is more with the redundant and juvenile dialogue, but I've come to expect that from Rockstar.
Of the three main characters, I find Franklin the most disturbing. All it takes to convince him to murder someone is, "Don't worry, Franklin, that guy's an asshole, he deserves it." I find this more troubling than Michael and Trevor -- at least the game doesn't pretend those guys aren't psychopaths.

nampad

How exactly is the car saving handled? I stole and tuned cars for Michael and Franklin and parked them in their garages. If I take them out and don't park them back in the garage, will they disappear? Or will they appear at my place again like the other default cars until I park a new car in the garage?

I mean, sometimes you can't really do anything because the mission structure makes you get into another car.

Really impressed by the scale and all the stuff to do so far. There were some disappointments though. The repeating sentences in the strip club or yoga sessions and when I watched TV, there were only 2 channels?!

Presentation is great so far and I love Michael because I love Sopranos :)

Ateron

So guys, I wonder if anyone could help. Since I feel it doesn't warrant a thread, and is something I noticed while playing GTA5, might as well place it here in case anyone knows/has the same problem.

I noticed a while back that the shooting felt off from the beginning, nothing like the ps3 version. I had to literally pull the R2 stronger than usual to make the weapons shoot. I decided to try out another controller (it's almost new, 2 months and not much use) and the trigger works perfectly. I only have to pull it a little more than halfway, and the gun starts shooting. It's especially noticeable on first person view. There's a point where, if you press the trigger hard enough, it will send you to a aiming position without it being full ADS.

For that to happen on my "bad" controller, I have to press it all the way down, and even then, a lot of times nothing happens. The guns don't shoot. I tried it with other games and while not as severe, something's up. I noticed it on Destiny too, with automatic weapons like VoC and Last Word not going full auto, stopping after 2-3 shots, like the R2 isn't connecting properly.

My question is: anyone else here has had this specific problem, and if so, how to fix it? This is the controller that came with the console, so it's exactly, ironically, 1 year old.The trigger still has some friction, and it always springs back into place like normal. What I notice is that it does seem to have bad contact, unless pushed hard enough, and it has less friction than normal, but I guess that's the way it goes with wear and tear. Same with the analogues but that is normal.

Any suggestions? My ps4 has 3 yr warranty, is the controller under it as well? Or does that only apply to the console itself?
I really didn't want to make this my first thread, as I don't think it's relevant for the majority but if someone has the same problem and has a solution/advice I would be thankful.

Rembrandt

Banned
Of the three main characters, I find Franklin the most disturbing. All it takes to convince him to murder someone is, "Don't worry, Franklin, that guy's an asshole, he deserves it." I find this more troubling than Michael and Trevor -- at least the game doesn't pretend those guys aren't psychopaths.

Well, I mean he is a former gang member and he tells either Lester or Devin he has no problem killing a guy, he just doesn't like to pretend it's for a good reason.

How exactly is the car saving handled? I stole and tuned cars for Michael and Franklin and parked them in their garages. If I take them out and don't park them back in the garage, will they disappear? Or will they appear at my place again like the other default cars until I park a new car in the garage?

I mean, sometimes you can't really do anything because the mission structure makes you get into another car.

Really impressed by the scale and all the stuff to do so far. There were some disappointments though. The repeating sentences in the strip club or yoga sessions and when I watched TV, there were only 2 channels?!

Presentation is great so far and I love Michael because I love Sopranos :)

I think they get impounded.

Pretty sure the game acknowledges that Franklin is a psycho, in fact I think Franklin actually says something to that effect at some point. He's more accepting of what he is than Michael and does not seem to feel any remorse. I can see how that could be seen as disturbing. That being said Franklin is definitely more honest than Michael, and less deranged than Trevor.

AEREC

Just started playing last night ps4 version and everything in the distance looks foggy and all the colors look washed out. Game looks amazing at night though.

Noticed this as well...theres an increased draw distance but the level of definition on those far off objects is still fairly low and washed out. I feel liek this wasnt as noticeable on the PS3's blurry IQ.

AEREC

So is the single player playable without crashing (CE-34878-0 error) yet? I've been playing with my ethernet cable unplugged without any issue for the past week, but would like to plug it back in at some point.

leng jai

Noticed this as well...theres an increased draw distance but the level of definition on those far off objects is still fairly low and washed out. I feel liek this wasnt as noticeable on the PS3's blurry IQ.

The shimmering in the distance is the weakest part of this remaster. You notice it more because of everything in the immediate vicinity is sharper in the PS4 version.

Why are there so many flying missions? The controls are simply awful.
I actually really like the flying controls. I got gold on all of the flying school challenges except for the helicopter ones at my first attempt. I've given up on golding the helicopter ones now and accepted I'm simply not good enough :(

EDIT: except the land on the bridge one. That took a number of attempts to stop in the sweet spot.

The car system sucks. If you have a favourite car then don't take it on missions unless you're willing to lose it permanently. I believe there's a way to duplicate cars but can't give you any specifics. I have a billion dollars on all my characters so just buy replacement cars when the game fucks me over.

So is the single player playable without crashing (CE-34878-0 error) yet? I've been playing with my ethernet cable unplugged without any issue for the past week, but would like to plug it back in at some point.
Given that I've been playing the single player since launch without any crashing, I'm going to go with "yes." Pretty sure I'm not alone in that.

Has the stock market stuff been patched?
Yes.

just heard the Kaskade 4AM remix for the first time, it kept playing at the start of I Fought the Law... wow sooooo good (and a little nostalgic haha can't believe it's 6 years old already) i used to listen to Strobelite Seduction soooo much cruising at night (Angel on my Shoulder is wholly responsible for one of my speeding tickets haha)

i also replayed Blitz Play about 15 times the last couple days... had some amazing shootouts. it's cool how creative you can be on that mission, like if you set up sticky bombs before the cops arrive to 'ambush' them. i had an awesome one last night where i shot the cops through the windows as they drove up, and they came tumbling out the car, then as the cops come down the stairs, set up another explosion below them and they go ragdolling in slow-motion (Michae's special) and then the last alley cop car, I shoot the propane tank and it gets thrown (but doesn't explode yet)... hits a cop as it spins (he goes flying), and then 4-5 seconds late then the fuel tank explodes...and the 2 last cops that are in front of me (dangerously close) they shake a little and turn to glance at the explosion and i pop back out of cover and blast them. :p

it's a lot easier to clear the missions with grenade launchers and rockets but the game has such awesome shootouts and gunplay/cover when you really try to just use assault rifles and play on free aim

Ateron

it's a lot easier to clear the missions with grenade launchers and rockets but the game has such awesome shootouts and gunplay/cover when you really try to just use assault rifles and play on free aim

That's my problem with the game. It relies too much on aim assist and cover play, rendering all other guns almost useless. I love to use handguns in every other game in existence, in this game I don't even know why they exist. Assault rifles will always win, and that's realistic but not fun. This game was clearly tuned towards auto aim and it pisses me off that a police officer can take 4 shots to the chest and still tumble to the ground and shoot a couple more, while your character is paper thin and the game has zero meaningful feedback in terms of damage you incur. It's easy enough to go for headshots with handguns, but if those fuckers start strafing it's a lot more hard than it should be,

I don't even play with the best ARs, it feels like cheating honestly. I don't particularly like
the gunplay or the cover sistem, I think in that sense WD beats GTA by a country mile, Everytime you put your head out to try to line a shot, boom, 2 shots there goes 60% of your health in a flash, and the game does a piss poor job at letting you know you're on the brink of death. They really should tighten up the controls or give the player more health. I think these are problems that stem from the fact that it's still a game that relies heavily (too put it mildly) on auto aim. RDR was the same, with the benefit that revolvers actually kicked ass and you could down anyone with 2 shots max. That game had better damage feedback and full health regen. I know, I know, not all games need that shit, but in a game that gives you such an awesome array of weapons and abilities, and generally aims to get the player to create as much chaos as possible, the characters hp are way too low, and so is the nerfed health regen.

Normal missions are "fine"and substancially easy, but whenever you try a shootout with 3 stars and up during normal free roam, it's nearly impossible to take them all down, they just endlessly spawn, have laser accuracy and kill you way too fast to be entertaining. And the fact that they just magically spawn out of nowhere is stupid.If I kill 10 officers I should have bought myself enough time to get the fuck out of there. Then a helicopter appears, it's nearly impossible to dodge those things on a freeway. Then you take one down but that doesn't buy you enough time to lose the heat, cause after 20seconds 2 more show up. If you're lucky to find a fast car lying about, it will just get one (or two) of its tires blown out in a flash, so it's useless. It just makes the player wanna cower behind a wall and barely move, shooting away until the inevitable death. They have a lot to learn in that regard and the game doesn't get enough flak for it. Fortunately there's a lot more to GTA than just shooting cops in the face, and the game truly shines in a lot of other areas.

Etc?

Thanks.

I'm actually kind of in the same boat as you. I played TLoU and the Uncharted series on my friends' PS3s so I thought it would be nice to get a PS4 for the Sony exclusive games (especially if Gravity Rush 2 ends up leaving the Vita for the PS4 instead) so the bundle was a great value. But I'm really not sure if I want to keep GTA V. I just have so many other games I would like to play and I feel swamped by them. I'm sure it's a great game, but I really have no motivation to play it and I could put it's trade-in value towards PS+ instead. But I'm still kind of indecisive about it though.

Really had to play a lot with my tv settings to get this to look good, I'm very happy now. Spent about 30 min calibrating my tv for this game. It was worth it though.

Traded in PS3 GTA for PS4 GTA.

I see the jokes about heists but is there any actual news about it from Rockstar?

The last word was that they're going to be the first content update for the game. A lot of people have been getting maintenance updates confused with that though, so expect every fix to come with "what about heists?"

That's my problem with the game. It relies too much on aim assist and cover play, rendering all other guns almost useless. I love to use handguns in every other game in existence, in this game I don't even know why they exist. Assault rifles will always win, and that's realistic but not fun. This game was clearly tuned towards auto aim and it pisses me off that a police officer can take 4 shots to the chest and still tumble to the ground and shoot a couple more, while your character is paper thin and the game has zero meaningful feedback in terms of damage you incur. It's easy enough to go for headshots with handguns, but if those fuckers start strafing it's a lot more hard than it should be,

I don't even play with the best ARs, it feels like cheating honestly. I don't particularly like
the gunplay or the cover sistem, I think in that sense WD beats GTA by a country mile, Everytime you put your head out to try to line a shot, boom, 2 shots there goes 60% of your health in a flash, and the game does a piss poor job at letting you know you're on the brink of death. They really should tighten up the controls or give the player more health. I think these are problems that stem from the fact that it's still a game that relies heavily (too put it mildly) on auto aim. RDR was the same, with the benefit that revolvers actually kicked ass and you could down anyone with 2 shots max. That game had better damage feedback and full health regen. I know, I know, not all games need that shit, but in a game that gives you such an awesome array of weapons and abilities, and generally aims to get the player to create as much chaos as possible, the characters hp are way too low, and so is the nerfed health regen.

Normal missions are "fine"and substancially easy, but whenever you try a shootout with 3 stars and up during normal free roam, it's nearly impossible to take them all down, they just endlessly spawn, have laser accuracy and kill you way too fast to be entertaining. And the fact that they just magically spawn out of nowhere is stupid.If I kill 10 officers I should have bought myself enough time to get the fuck out of there. Then a helicopter appears, it's nearly impossible to dodge those things on a freeway. Then you take one down but that doesn't buy you enough time to lose the heat, cause after 20seconds 2 more show up. If you're lucky to find a fast car lying about, it will just get one (or two) of its tires blown out in a flash, so it's useless. It just makes the player wanna cower behind a wall and barely move, shooting away until the inevitable death. They have a lot to learn in that regard and the game doesn't get enough flak for it. Fortunately there's a lot more to GTA than just shooting cops in the face, and the game truly shines in a lot of other areas.
1 shot to the chest should put a cop down (but not dead)... 2 shots, especially with the heavier handguns, should kill them.

If they're taking 4 shots to the chest, they're probably wearing bulletproof vests. Once you get to 3-stars, especially 4-stars, cops wear armour.

also, when you're dealing with lots cops at 3-4 stars, it helps to just put 1 shot into the leg of everyone... it won't kill them but it does good damage because it misses the armour and it also can make them fall down, stopping them from shooting for a bit.

it's not like MGS or something where the body damage really is represented very well -- the cops will stand up and walk again fine often. but you can do that to survive better.

personally i love how the cops are terminator robocops haha

cops were such an easy cakewalk in IV and now in V any time I get 4 stars, I'm hanging on for dear life behind cover.

i play 'ironman' too (in addition to Free Aim and Radar Off) ... if I die, I reset the game to my last save. so it makes for some super excitiny/scary shootouts haha

Durden77

Just finally beat it, stopped playing it on 360 cause I knew it was gonna come to next gen.

Great game. Chose the right path obviously, kinda wonder who would even choose one of the other endings.

I always see people talk about shit writing in games. This game does not have shit writing or dialogue. Resident evil has those things, not GTA.

wowzors

For anyone else with this on PS4 disc, how long did the install take? I think its been about 20 minutes and im only at 50%, I just installed a 2TB hard drive and it feels like the installs off discs have haulted to such a slow pace.

I'm having install issues except mine come from the digital copy. I downloaded the game digitally. I have all 44GB downloaded. I suspended the game before I completed the install. Now I'm sitting at 0%...what gives?

Game brightness is incorrect on default, tune it down! I also increased color settings and back-light on my TV a little bit for dat pop. (I like the slightly over-saturated look for this game)

Yeah, this is definitely the kind of game where you go ahead and re-calibrate the ol' TV. The day/night cycle and variable weather is just so good.

Thought I'd share my online character:

ZsvFZs8.jpg

Drives a matte white droptop with hot pink neons & chrome rims. Silenced weapons only. Fun times.

For anyone else with this on PS4 disc, how long did the install take? I think its been about 20 minutes and im only at 50%, I just installed a 2TB hard drive and it feels like the installs off discs have haulted to such a slow pace.

Yeah. Jesus this is taking forever. I figured I'd take a break from Far Cry and check out the remaster visuals but this wait time is ludicrous.

Top Bottom