• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V NG |OT| You forget a thousand things every day, make sure Chicago is one of 'em

I'm bad at remembering full quotes but there is this witless, high school level comeback from Michael that I remember hearing while playing last night:

"What is this, pick on me day?"

Again, I need to emphasize that I find the characters and the way their relationships evolve compelling. But to me there are countless examples of witless banter in the game.

Someone mentioned the abuse of swear words. Personally, no amount of f-bombs could ever offend me. However the vulgarity needs to be backed up with cleverness and GTA only intermittently succeeds in doing so.

I know exactly what you're saying but that particular example ain't so good imo, that's a human sounding quip that sounds totally appropriate coming from an attention seeking, self-pitying middle aged man.

Daffy Duck

I was playing this earlier and a news story came on one of the radio stations about a protestor who was shot protesting over someone who was protesting and they got shot.

Then I read an article on IGN how protestors shut down malls in protest of Ferguson.

I wonder if this is a new news story for the game.

neoism

I wanted to see what some of the people think that didn't play this on previous gen. Don't get me wrong when I say this because GTA V is probably in my top 5 games of all time.

That being said, the dialogue in this game is completely ruined for me by the use of the F word 5-25 times per conversation. I use that word when talking to friends, etc. too, I have some friends that use it constantly and even they don't use it anywhere near as much as in this game. It's distracting, juvenile, unnecessary, and for me, takes a bit away from the experience. It's as if the writer thought "oh these are 'bad guys' so they must drop F bombs every 3 words". These words can have impact, but they lose everything when used so generously.

Anyone else find it distracting / annoying?
lol nope fuck is just a word like any other. it doesn't even register to me in games or movies. not sure how it would bother you since you use it yourself :/ shrug.

Jedi2016

Can only one character own a property or are there specific ones only one character can own?
Some properties are character-specific, like the second airstrip that (I think) only Trevor can buy or the marijuana shop that only Franklin can buy. Most of them can be bought by any character.

Slowdive

Banned
I'm slow but the thread title is a reference to Watch_Dogs isn't it?

Yeah.

watch_dogs_gta_5.jpg

Durden77

Quoting myself to see if anyone can help. No way I'm playin all the way back through this game for one trophy.

Damn, that sucks. Heard some of those DLC weapons are really fun.

Shit, I think I might have screwed myself out of the red mist trophy. My friend used the skyfall cheat, and in the same session I did what I think was the last rampage (
Army
). A message popped up saying cheats had been used so I couldn't get the trophy. Tried replaying it after reloadin the game and still nothing.

Am I fucked out of that trophy? Really gonna suck if I am...

holygeesus

Banned
I was playing this earlier and a news story came on one of the radio stations about a protestor who was shot protesting over someone who was protesting and they got shot.

Then I read an article on IGN how protestors shut down malls in protest of Ferguson.

I wonder if this is a new news story for the game.

If they were on the ball, as the consoles are always online, they actually could update the news stories to keep them topical. I wouldn't put it past them.

Effect

Okay. Started the game for the first time and I'm rarely impressed by a game's graphics these days. I can appreciate them of course and recognize when something looks beautiful, artistic, and attempts at photorealism but how a game plays is very more important to me. Given that this is a GTA game I'm no expecting much but the shooting does feel good with assist on. However I'm kinda overwhelmed by what I'm seeing in GTA V just driving around Los Santos as Franklin. The scale of the world is impressive. I'm very surprised. I've seen footage of both older and newer versions but taking one's time to just drive around is another thing completely. This is just an initial impression and it might sour if I find the numbers of things I can enter and interact with are low in numbers but so far so good.

The first person point of view is weird. I don't see how one can do missions like this with how random the AI/NPCs can be at times in games like this. When just relaxing while driving and walking around though I think it's nice.

Why buy something you didn't want...

I do want it. I don't know if I want to fully part with $400+ in the end more though since I'm very happy with my Wii U and okay with my PC. It's a conflict I face at times. The more I mess around with it though and play the game the better I'm feeling.

Okay. Started the game for the first time and I'm rarely impressed by a game's graphics these days. I can appreciate them of course and recognize when something looks beautiful, artistic, and attempts at photorealism but how a game plays is very more important to me. Given that this is a GTA game I'm no expecting much but the shooting does feel good with assist on. However I'm kinda overwhelmed by what I'm seeing in GTA V just driving around Los Santos as Franklin. The scale of the world is impressive. I'm very surprised. I've seen footage of both older and newer versions but taking one's time to just drive around is another thing completely. This is just an initial impression and it might sour if I find the numbers of things I can enter and interact with are low in numbers but so far so good.

The first person point of view is weird. I don't see how one can do missions like this with how random the AI/NPCs can be at times in games like this. When just relaxing while driving and walking around though I think it's nice.

I do want it. I don't know if I want to fully part with $400+ in the end more though since I'm very happy with my Wii U and okay with my PC. It's a conflict I face at times. The more I mess around with it though and play the game the better I'm feeling.

The OST (not the radio music) is even more impressive. I'm pretty sure it's from the same guy who made the "Bully"- soundtrack. Very atmospheric, great work.

Is that sunglasses bug also in the XB1 version?

When the game automatically switches camera mode it always forgets to give me any specific HUD overlay coloring/effects when it switches back to FP view.

brau

i love how alive the city feels. just walking around feels right. the amount of interactions and random events are great. had a guy yell across the street to another guy haha no other game does that.

GolazoDan

This is amazing, it's like the cop gave up on living at the end.

Epic, absolutely incredible

ROFL

I <3 open world fun ;)

Legitimately one of the best GTAV vids ever. Oh my God hahahaha.

lol, poor police officer.
This game really is amazing. And the weird thing is, I'm enjoying it considerably more than I did on the 360. I think it's because we're out of the hype overload period, I already know the story, there's no pressure to smash through it. It's nice to just be able to run around like a nutcase and see what happens, because this game has a lot of weird stuff happening if you stop to have a look. Such a fun open world.

EDIT: I also didn't realise they totally mute the radio track on the share feature, that's weird. Understandable. Dirty White Boy was pretty good though.

cilonen

No, I haven't done any assassinations missions yet (besides the initial LifeInvader). I guess I can have Trevor invest properly and then take Franklin on the mission. I need Trevor to get money because only he has a hangar (at least so far and the game will only let Trevor buy a hanger I know for sale.)

The other guys can buy hangers. No missions associated with them like T's gun running, but they can buy a hangar each.

finally got the Madrazo Range Rover!

took me like 6 hours

now I'm
in Exile...
best part of the game

I usually stop the story here and just free roam for 10 or 20 hours. And I'll spend like 4-5 hours planning the Military Hardware mission. I'll roleplay it a lot... I'll scout different areas 'undercover' (RON guy checking on oil derricks), plan my ambush location, come up with a hard strategy (such as timing 2 sticky bombers to destroy the first and third vehicle to happen perfectly as I headshot the drive or t-bone into the truck) and then practice it, and then execute it perfectly before sunrise so it's still dark as I do it but just as I drive the truck down the dirt roads back to Trevor's meth lab, the sun rises over the mountains.

finally got the Madrazo Range Rover!

took me like 6 hours

now I'm
in Exile...
best part of the game

I usually stop the story here and just free roam for 10 or 20 hours. And I'll spend like 4-5 hours planning the Military Hardware mission. I'll roleplay it a lot... I'll scout different areas 'undercover' (RON guy checking on oil derricks), plan my ambush location, come up with a hard strategy (such as timing 2 sticky bombers to destroy the first and third vehicle to happen perfectly as I headshot the drive or t-bone into the truck) and then practice it, and then execute it perfectly before sunrise so it's still dark as I do it but just as I drive the truck down the dirt roads back to Trevor's meth lab, the sun rises over the mountains.

o_O dat dedication

o_O dat dedication
always found any GTA better this way :O i never did it much for VC or IV but I did it a lot in SA with all the hobbies, working out and eating, etc...

i think the abilility to do that sort of thing is what makes GTA specially. if you just rush between mission waypoint to mission waypoint, it's not much different than a AAA (and good) Kane & Lynch or Max Payne. Missions are still awesome but I always find my most memorable GTA playthroughs, whether SA or V, were when I had a week vacation or something, and I could immerse myself in it almost like a roleplaying gaming, and adding my flavour or details and making my own stories in between missions ..

things like choosing what time of day is best for missions (5am for Trash Truck, 9am for Caida Libra because he says "this afternoon", 6pm for Minor Turbulence because it's so much more beautiful to have the sun setting at the start and it be night during the end of it) or even which day (I delayed Trash Truck from Sunday to Monday haha)... same for clothes, I'll wear all camo for Lamar Down... warm coats for Merryweather Heist Freighter, suits for FIB or Madrazo meetings, etc)...

I like to try play realistic, too. M never commits crimes. F will always steal a new car for missions and dispose the evidence after. T will collect cars from his enemies (e.g. the Madrazo Baller, the Ortega Dubsta, the Cheng Coquette, the FIB Saddler, the Baller Felon, the Lost Daemon)... and I'll try to buy businesses, Hangout or phone call after missions, etc to fit the story

i feel the game is so much better like that... you begin to care about the characters and story more... you see so many more hangout or phone call conversations, character switch event stories, and just in general get so much more story, attachment, immersion from the game.

it's not too big of a deal though :p and it's more of a roleplay thing, not an 'achievement' thing. i almost never get golds because i don't ever skip cutscenes and never drive fast (you'll mission conversations) and often the gold requirements don't seem very canon (e.g. killing a gardener just to boost a car haha). i don't really see it as dedication because it's just an easy natural way for me to play the game :)

and it's especially easy in V because I think Trevor (CEO of TPI) is such a great open world/crime game character, and I of course love the LA/desert setting. I'm a huge fan of the film Heat (still remember watching it first time back in, probably, summer-late 1996) and any other Michael Mann (especially Miami Vice, as bad as it is I love the camera work) or other LA films (Training Day, for example ;) so I can free roam around Los Santos and especially the Grand Senora for ages...

Rolling around the Grand Senora Desert or East Los Santos, going ironman esque death=game over with auto-aim and HUD off for interface-less immersion amidst sand dunes and oil derricks, full gerry beard Trevor with the Madrazo baller (the only way I can even picture Trevor now) leading M and F full trio Three Kings style in a gwagon or in a jag, starting hour-long countryside police chases and gang wars...

And when it's over, M and F both randomly steal their own jags too and you exit the area in matching masks and cars. Random surprises like that or random fluff done not for points or stats but just for immersion. Basically, the type of that shit that makes you want to always wear a mask before you rob a convenience store even though you don't have to and both are pointless or dress up like an RonOil man scouting oil derricks as your cover when scouting your convoy ambush location, or you restart the game if you die and avoid openly breaking laws so you have a single 'canon continuity' where it's believable that you are alive and not in jail...

That's about the only gaming I've done for over a year now... Bearded CEO of Trevor Phillips Industries.

Is that sunglasses bug also in the XB1 version?

When the game automatically switches camera mode it always forgets to give me any specific HUD overlay coloring/effects when it switches back to FP view.

I wish the sun glasses effect wasn't in place. I don't wear sunglasses because it's either to dark or throws off the color

Dries

always found any GTA better this way :O i never did it much for VC or IV but I did it a lot in SA with all the hobbies, working out and eating, etc...

i think the abilility to do that sort of thing is what makes GTA specially. if you just rush between mission waypoint to mission waypoint, it's not much different than a AAA (and good) Kane & Lynch or Max Payne. Missions are still awesome but I always find my most memorable GTA playthroughs, whether SA or V, were when I had a week vacation or something, and I could immerse myself in it almost like a roleplaying gaming, and adding my flavour or details and making my own stories in between missions ..

things like choosing what time of day is best for missions (5am for Trash Truck, 9am for Caida Libra because he says "this afternoon", 6pm for Minor Turbulence because it's so much more beautiful to have the sun setting at the start and it be night during the end of it) or even which day (I delayed Trash Truck from Sunday to Monday haha)... same for clothes, I'll wear all camo for Lamar Down... warm coats for Merryweather Heist Freighter, suits for FIB or Madrazo meetings, etc)...

I like to try play realistic, too. M never commits crimes. F will always steal a new car for missions and dispose the evidence after. T will collect cars from his enemies (e.g. the Madrazo Baller, the Ortega Dubsta, the Cheng Coquette, the FIB Saddler, the Baller Felon, the Lost Daemon)... and I'll try to buy businesses, Hangout or phone call after missions, etc to fit the story

i feel the game is so much better like that... you begin to care about the characters and story more... you see so many more hangout or phone call conversations, character switch event stories, and just in general get so much more story, attachment, immersion from the game.

it's not too big of a deal though :p and it's more of a roleplay thing, not an 'achievement' thing. i almost never get golds because i don't ever skip cutscenes and never drive fast (you'll mission conversations) and often the gold requirements don't seem very canon (e.g. killing a gardener just to boost a car haha). i don't really see it as dedication because it's just an easy natural way for me to play the game :)

and it's especially easy in V because I think Trevor (CEO of TPI) is such a great open world/crime game character, and I of course love the LA/desert setting. I'm a huge fan of the film Heat (still remember watching it first time back in, probably, summer-late 1996) and any other Michael Mann (especially Miami Vice, as bad as it is I love the camera work) or other LA films (Training Day, for example ;) so I can free roam around Los Santos and especially the Grand Senora for ages...

Rolling around the Grand Senora Desert or East Los Santos, going ironman esque death=game over with auto-aim and HUD off for interface-less immersion amidst sand dunes and oil derricks, full gerry beard Trevor with the Madrazo baller (the only way I can even picture Trevor now) leading M and F full trio Three Kings style in a gwagon or in a jag, starting hour-long countryside police chases and gang wars...

And when it's over, M and F both randomly steal their own jags too and you exit the area in matching masks and cars. Random surprises like that or random fluff done not for points or stats but just for immersion. Basically, the type of that shit that makes you want to always wear a mask before you rob a convenience store even though you don't have to and both are pointless or dress up like an RonOil man scouting oil derricks as your cover when scouting your convoy ambush location, or you restart the game if you die and avoid openly breaking laws so you have a single 'canon continuity' where it's believable that you are alive and not in jail...

That's about the only gaming I've done for over a year now... Bearded CEO of Trevor Phillips Industries.

I salute you. You are playing the game right!

Top Bottom