• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA3:SA morality question?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TeTr1C said:
I disagree. It's called Grand Theft Auto for a reason. If you don't want to do drive-bys and be forced to kill mass amounts of people instead of doing the right thing, don't play it. Although, I do think the series is heading in the wrong direction. It was a lot better when the mob was in it and stuff like that. Now it seems like it's ALL street gangs. It'd still be fun to play, but I don't like the idea.

This one IS about street gangs, but that doesn't mean that it represents the direction of the series as a whole...

TeTr1C said:
It was a lot better when the mob was in it and stuff like that. Now it seems like it's ALL street gangs. It'd still be fun to play, but I don't like the idea.
So the mob is better than street gangs? What's the damn difference? It all aesthetics from our perspective, how the dude giving you the mission talks when he gives it to you.

All the GTA games have had the mobs and street gangs in them to some degree, and seeing as one of the splash screens in SA features a decidedly asian guy, looking opulent, yet untrustworthy, I bet that the more organized forms of crime will come back once you've made it out of Los Santos.

I mean, on the back of the box it shows CJ looking very Puffy Combs, strolling away from a private jet. I'd wager he's up to something bigger than picking up a forty.

AeroGod

The game goes so far beyond street gangs it isnt even funny. The first 10 hours of the game feel so different compared to what you get into. Its like a different game.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
DarienA said:
I do find it ironic that there is an argument about morality going on about a game called Grand Theft Auto....

Amen.

Why is THIS one getting the heat, just for expanding on the same type of gameplay the franchise is known for?

"This one hits close to home", how?

I think this thread is dangerously close to slipping into the same "Thug life offends my sensibilities more than the Mafia" bullshit when San Andreas was first revealed. Damn, that got ugly.

Razoric

Banned
It's fun watching all the self righteous morality police pick apart a game they haven't even played. You guys are just as bad as the censorship crew in congress and you call yourself video game fans. Fine you don't like GTA, then dont play it. If you don't like horror movies, do you watch them? Do you talk about how they shouldn't be made? If you don't like gangsta rap / heavy metal, do you talk about how they shouldnt be made? Ban the albums from stores? You think video games influence people more than pop-culture TV or music? You've gotta be shitting me.

GTA isn't going to spear head a violent revolution in gaming... This sounds like what old congress men were saying about Mortal Kombat....how it was the end of morality as we know it because you can kill a women (Sonya). OH NO! GTA probably will cause some game companies to dabble with extreme violence but they will fail (and HAVE FAILED ALREADY) miserably. Postal 2 anyone? BMXXX (for nudity) anyone?

Razoric said:
GTA isn't going to spear head a violent revolution in gaming... This sounds like what old congress men were saying about Mortal Kombat....how it was the end of morality as we know it because you can kill a women (Sonya). OH NO! GTA probably will cause some game companies to dabble with extreme violence but they will fail (and HAVE FAILED ALREADY) miserably. Postal 2 anyone? BMXXX (for nudity) anyone?

I think the effect GTASA has on the industry will be much more positive than negative. Mainly companies finnaly realising how to work with open ended gaming.

belgurdo

Banned
TeTr1C said:
I guess not, but I'm just saying I don't enjoy the idea as much as, say GTA III with the mob.

Ugh, I remember posts like this from months ago. Running around ganking people and stealing as a mob enforcer is somehow "less bad" than being a street gangbanger who does the same thing?

Razoric

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I think the effect GTASA has on the industry will be much more positive than negative. Mainly companies finnaly realising how to work with open ended gaming.

Exactly, for better or worse, game companies will look at the GAMEPLAY aspect of GTA and try and implement those features in their games.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
boutrosinit said:
psychocybernetic law (brain science)
I did some quick googling for expert resources on psychocybernetic "law" but came up empty. Maybe you can point me to some relevant links?

I'll say this, at least non-gamers could be in the same room with a copy of GTA:III being played. Why, I even let my young nephews attempt to drive the taxis around. (They didn't seem to notice the red streaks under the tires)

However in SA, guys on the street are constantly calling for somebody to suck their dick. Prositutes are talking about horny guys and their backdoor. And the word fuck gets thrown around so much it pales Kingpin.

If you are playing GTA:SA, and your mom or somebody walks into the room, you just have to pause or mute it. Anybody who has a beef against videogames if just going to love this one.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
TeTr1C said:
I guess not, but I'm just saying I don't enjoy the idea as much as, say GTA III with the mob.

Why? Because US media has glamorized the mob so much that you think it's cooler to be involved with the mob than with a street-level gang?

ArcadeStickMonk said:
I'll say this, at least non-gamers could be in the same room with a copy of GTA:III being played. Why, I even let my young nephews attempt to drive the taxis around. (They didn't seem to notice the red streaks under the tires)

However in SA, guys on the street are constantly calling for somebody to suck their dick. Prositutes are talking about horny guys and their backdoor. And the word fuck gets thrown around so much it pales Kingpin.

If you are playing GTA:SA, and your mom or somebody walks into the room, you just have to pause or mute it. Anybody who has a beef against videogames if just going to love this one.
The game is rated M for a reason. Deal with it.

I swear people bitch about M rated videogames... then go watch R and PG-13 rated movies... it's hilarious....

DarienA said:
The game is rated M for a reason. Deal with it.
I'm dealing with it quite well. Do you think I headed down to the EB at 6pm last night unaware of what I was picking up?

My anecdote was a mere observation, that they took the mature elements that have always been in GTA and have really brought them into your face, all the time.

This doesn't bother me one bit, but could maybe serve as a heads-up to anyone who boots it up for the first time with a grandparent in the room.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Goreomedy said:
"This one hits close to home", how?

I think this thread is dangerously close to slipping into the same "Thug life offends my sensibilities more than the Mafia" bullshit when San Andreas was first revealed. Damn, that got ugly.
*nods head* Not to mention we could probably start to bring the metric ton of games that have been produced to re-enact scenarios from the various wars of the 20th century into this, if we're genuinely concerned about all videogame violence that hits close to home...

I wasn't around for the first omg wtf discussion, but I would say that the mafia has taken on an almost romantic and fantastical role in society whereas "thug life" or whatever IS a bit closer to reality, or at least a bit more prevalent in reality. Same goes for WWII. There's a disconnection because it's history.

Hell, I even said something to the effect that for the GTA release party my local EB merely dressed up the same way most of it's customers do. Granted I'm not exactly sure that doesn't point to thug life being just as romantacized as the mafia, but it's certainly more prevalent.

Oh and DaMan the entire selling point of GTA is it's open ended gameplay. The whole go do whatever you want thing. I'd argue that all videogames, especially the open ended type, invite a form of identification with the character. Hell, in a good game people don't even notice the controls and people complain when controls become to cumbersome. Just because it doesn't physically force you to go through the motions doesn't mean it's not realistic.

Son of Godzilla said:
I wasn't around for the first omg wtf discussion, but I would say that the mafia has taken on an almost romantic and fantastical role in society whereas "thug life" or whatever IS a bit closer to reality, or at least a bit more prevalent in reality. Same goes for WWII. There's a disconnection because it's history.

Hell, I even said something to the effect that for the GTA release party my local EB merely dressed up the same way most of it's customers do. Granted I'm not exactly sure that doesn't point to thug life being just as romantacized as the mafia, but it's certainly more prevalent.

The differences between a mob and a gang aren't that drastic. Someone could get the idea about gang banging as easily from GTA3 as they could with SA.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Person A: "Perhaps this game glorifies violence a bit too much?"

Person B: "SHUT YOUR ()*&@(#& MOUTH! It's rated M! Games don't make people violent, d00d. It's FANTASY!"

I suppose it's unrealistic of me to suggest that there's some sort of "middle ground" between these two points?

DarienA

DavidDayton said:
Person A: "Perhaps this game glorifies violence a bit too much?"

Person B: "SHUT YOUR ()*&@(#& MOUTH! It's rated M! Games don't make people violent, d00d. It's FANTASY!"

I suppose it's unrealistic of me to suggest that there's some sort of "middle ground" between these two points?

What that hell would a middle ground have to do with this forum? Everything is black or white, get it straight!!!!!!!

However to say Person B's language is derived just from playing M rated games is quite a stretch.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Son of Godzilla said:
I didn't just refer to WWII - we have plenty of games that model the last century worth of warfare scenarios, including very contemporary ones. There shouldn't be a disconnect here - there are plenty of military actions going on around the world as we speak. It's no less "real" than "thug life" is for most of the world.

The real problem here, IMO, is the attempt to distinguish one form of violence as more deserving of some sort of special attention.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I saw this thread last night, but decided to wait a few hours and calm down before posting.

The idea that somehow

- Mafia related violence is acceptable
- ghetto related violence is not

would be utterly laughable if it wasn't so transparent in its hypocrisy.

Guess what, folks?

The Mafia has been involved in prostitution, smuggling, drugs, murder, assault, bribery, extortion, rape, and influence peddling, among other infractions, for years - and they're still doing it today. Just because it isn't as in-your-face as a ghetto gangbanger shooting up the block doesn't mean that it should receive a free pass. RICO and the demise of the laws of omerta have done their damage, but Mafia is just as vicious as they've always been. But since movies like The Godfather have romanticized the Mafia in society's eyes, Fido and Tommy Vercetti can be viewed through sepia-toned glasses while CJ gets hand-wringing and complaints about how the series has gone down the tubes.

As far as I'm concerned - and this also applies directly to the inevitable backlash from so-called black "leaders" who are going to jump on the opportunity for some camera time - this treatment of San Andreas' subject matter stinks. It's a blatant double standard. And frankly, as someone who didn't have any problem delivering vanloads of hoes to the Policeman's Ball in Liberty City, I fail to see how that's ANY different from CJ's antics in San Andreas.

Besides the colour of his skin.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
My original point wasn't that I'm appalled by GTA:SA, or that I'm not going to play it. I agree game makers shouldn't be censored (within reason). If the GTA series just existed and was just this cool little franchise that explored the darker side of humanity, like say Hitman, then I really wouldn't have that big an issue with it.

I guess what freaks me out a little is that GTA is essentially THE MOST POPULAR CURRENT GEN GAME SERIES OF THE PAST DECADE. It's not a curiousity. Everbody, EVERYBODY wants to play GTA:SA. Now how much of that desire stems from the fact that it's the ultimate sand box title and how much stems from the fact that, at the end of the day, gaming is STILL a very juvenile past time and most gamers are attracted by the promise of violence and depravity. I'm not even sure. But Rockstar have caught lightening in a bottle with the GTA series, and for better or for worse, the poster child for our industry features a semi-realisitic world with a morally bankrupt story.

One disturbing trend I've noticed so far in GTA:SA: they really try to pump you up for the missions in the cut-scenes. Your homies are all, 'lets go take care of these fools, dog' and CJ is all ''fuck yeah man! Lets do this!' There is no sense of regret, or the feeling you're backed into a corner or fighting for survival. This is not Boyz N Da Hood or Menace 2 Society. This is out and out glorification of the lifestyle.

DarienA

jetjevons said:
One disturbing trend I've noticed so far in GTA:SA: they really try to pump you up for the missions in the cut-scenes. Your homies are all, 'lets go take care of these fools, dog' and CJ is all ''fuck yeah man! Lets do this!' There is no sense of regret, or the feeling you're backed into a corner or fighting for survival. This is not Boyz N Da Hood or Menace 2 Society. This is out and out glorification of the lifestyle.
But if it was out and out glorification of the mob lifestyle as in previous games you'd be ok with it right?

I've got a few steps for you:

1. Please stop.
2. Please Check yourself.

Repeat.

Without even knowing it you've fallen for what's already been posted... mob violence is cool...gang violence isn't.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
DarienA said:
But if it was out and out glorification of the mob lifestyle as in previous games you'd be ok with it right?

I've got a few steps for you:

1. Please stop.
2. Please Check yourself.

Repeat.

Without even knowing it you've fallen for what's already been posted... mob violence is cool...gang violence isn't.

No. I was never cool with it actually. I didn't ever finish GTA3 or Vice City because the weight of the whole thinig just kind of got to me eventually.

Razoric

Banned
jetjevons said:
No. I was never cool with it actually. I didn't ever finish GTA3 or Vice City because the weight of the whole thinig just kind of got to me eventually.

Jesus, go back to Mario games then. Quit trying to change games because you are too weak to take it.

skip

yeah, stop trying to have a serious and interesting discussion and go back to playing your baby games, jetjevons!

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Razoric said:
Jesus, go back to Mario games then. Quit trying to change games because you are too weak to take it.

Where did I say I feel they should neuter the violence or themes? I didn't. I'm just making the point that, I personally, feel a little sad that these themes are what drives the best selling games of our generation.

DarienA

jetjevons said:
Where did I say I feel they should neuter the violence or themes? I didn't. I'm just making the point that, I personally, feel a little sad that these themes are what drives the best selling games of our generation.

Boo Hoo.

You know I'm pissed that NFSU sold 7 mil worldwide.. it's a disgrace that illegal fast-driving, garish-looking, rice-rockets are so popular....

Yes that was sarcasm.

There is so much more in terms of what you can do in the GTA environments than the storyline that I just don't get your beef... I mean I understand it, but as an adult I just don't feel the same way.

DarienA said:

Gang violence = the kiddie, mob = mature.

My entire point is that gang violence is alot more prevalant in the real world than mob violence is and that because gang violence hasn't been romanticized nearly as much seeing it in a videogame, even if it's blown into cartoonish absurdity or included in some sort of fantasy environment, makes it hit alot closer to home tha mob violence.

And as far as the war vs crime violence thing, war as a whole is seen as pretty legitimate whereas crime, especially the random/heinous crimes capable of being committed in GTA, isn't.

Razoric

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
And as far as the war vs crime violence thing, war as a whole is seen as pretty legitimate whereas crime, especially the random/heinous crimes capable of being committed in GTA, isn't.

Says the dude with a little girl in his avatar.

Gek54

The Mafia will always be more respected than the hood gangbangers. Its not a racial issue, its how they act.

DarienA

Gek54 said:
The Mafia will always be more respected than the hood gangbangers. Its not a racial issue, its how they act.

Dumbest statement in here... and that's quite a leap to overcome the previous dumb statement made by the thread owner. Congrats.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
kaching said:
I did some quick googling for expert resources on psychocybernetic "law" but came up empty. Maybe you can point me to some relevant links?

Try Maxwell Maltz and his book on Psychocybernetics. It's actually a book on self esteem psychology, but goes into depth about the brain's goal-setting mechanism.

Gek54 said:

They're more organized than a typical gang but they'll do the same thing. They'll both kill your family to get to you. Does it really make any difference that one is more respected than the other if that happens?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Son of Godzilla said:
Ask yourself what legitimizes war, a form of violence that can be as wanton and heinous as anything depicted in GTA, and far more destructive.

DarienA

Gek54 said:
It doesnt matter to me. Its Bish and Darien who are crying race.

Actually I didn't cry race anywhere dammit. Learn how to read. If anything I'm trying to point out the idiocy of respecting one form organized crime which has been glamorized by the media over another form of crime.

Any hey gang's have been glamorized... haven't you bitches seen New Jack City or Sugar Hill? ;)

WarPig

God, New Jack City is so bad. Watch that movie nowadays and it's like stepping in a fucking time warp.

It does, however, have the best line in the history of Ice-T's acting career.

DFS.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Son of Godzilla said:
Seen as legitimate vs being legitimate.
I guess we ought to thank GTA:SA for taking gang violence one step closer to the goal of being seen as legitimate, like organized crime and war.

Eh that was just a knee jerk reaction before I ran off. I meant me saying that war is seen as legitimate vs you saying that it is or isn't. Not that *insert whatever* is legitimate.

DarienA

WarPig said:
God, New Jack City is so bad. Watch that movie nowadays and it's like stepping in a fucking time warp.

It does, however, have the best line in the history of Ice-T's acting career.

DFS.

Let me guess... I wanna shoot you so bad, my dick's hard!

WarPig

DarienA said:
Let me guess... I wanna shoot you so bad, my dick's hard!

In one.

Like I say, by the way, what makes me uncomfortable about San Andreas isn't necessarily the type of crime on offer as the setting that hosts it. GTA3 and Vice City both didn't feel "too real for comfort" the way that some of San Andreas does. It's like DMA's too skilled at building a world for their own good, at least as far as my experience goes.

DFS.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Warpig,

Did you find the previous two games more over the top and satirical than SA?

WarPig

levious said:
Did you find the previous two games more over the top and satirical than SA?

GTA3 is a sort of bland amalgam of different places and ideas -- an unidentifiable setting. Vice City, meanwhile, is a caricature of the '80s -- an exaggerated, over-the-top setting. San Andreas, like I say, feels very realistic and specific. It's not as much of a parody of a time and place as Vice City, I suppose in large part because the early '90s just aren't distinctive enough to caricature. So yeah, I guess the answer is yes.

DFS.

Top Bottom