• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee: Super TURBO Championship Edition | OT | ¡Livin' la muerte loca!

Diablo's suit is great, definitely made the game easier once you've built up your HP meter enough. At the start I felt I almost got one shotted on hard though, lol. Which costumes did people end up using?

In constrast to Strider (which I liked quite a lot), as it was a PS+ game this month, the ease of backtracking - map clearly indicating which areas connect to which and and the functioning teleport system - made it a much more enjoyable experience to go back for collectibles.

i bought the Golero (goal keeper) suit because he dishes out less damage in melee which was useful for the gold medal Inferno Challenges that required to get high combo count before completing that challenge.

I bought the Alebrije costume (dishes massive damage but takes massive damage) to aid me in the Challenge with the enemies that accumulate on the bridge and break the bridge with their weight. The damage helps clear out this one faster

I bought the Chicken suit just for fun

sheaaaa

Javier Jaguar seems completely nerfed, even on hard. Easiest boss in the game so far. Really disappointing if that's the case, cos his was a great boss fight in the original. The unwarranted fan complaining changed Drinkbox's minds?

Novak

I am playing xb1 version and i dont hear FX sounds. I thought the game is like that, just music, but then i watched youtube video ( for damn challenge 9) and i realized game has sound.

In options Sound FX is on max. Any fix for this?

Btw great game. My favorite game this year

LowSignal

I am playing xb1 version and i dont hear FX sounds. I thought the game is like that, just music, but then i watched youtube video ( for damn challenge 9) and i realized game has sound.

I haven't run into this issue but have you tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it?

Uzny

Same thing happened to me when my speakers were set to dolby 5.1, switching to stereo helped.

Great game btw.

Yup. I had to change some settings on the xbox audio. I don't remember if it chose Dolby digital or dts, etc. tinker around it will work. I assume you have it hooked up to a home theater as well.

Edit. I'm slow.

Number45

Anyone have any tips on the "Pico de Gallo" section where you're racing against rising lava and have to take out the yellow skeleton up top before the lave reaches you, on hard mode? I can reach the top without any fuss, but I don't even get close to taking the skeleton out with Intenso activated.

Can't find any videos of people doing that section on hard either.

Anyone have any tips on the "Pico de Gallo" section where you're racing against rising lava and have to take out the yellow skeleton up top before the lave reaches you, on hard mode? I can reach the top without any fuss, but I don't even get close to taking the skeleton out with Intenso activated.

Can't find any videos of people doing that section on hard either.

I used my Intenso to just uppercut a few times, and do a side attack to make sure he died and I ended up on the wall

Number45

Yeah, as is normal I stepped away for 24hrs then came back and did it first time. :)

The game seems quite a bit harder than the original, but I have been playing for a while in the piñata costume.

Blue Volt

Banned
Javier Jaguar seems completely nerfed, even on hard. Easiest boss in the game so far. Really disappointing if that's the case, cos his was a great boss fight in the original. The unwarranted fan complaining changed Drinkbox's minds?

Calaca was the only boss I had no trouble with on hard mode. In his first form he is a total pushover, and his attacks in his second form are so easy to spot that it's almost as simple. Hell, most of the Temple of War enemy arenas are harder.

It's a complete nightmare when Javier gains his white combo shield because it's near impossible to get six straight hits on him.

Blue Volt

Banned
Can you make the most of the Intenso shield break utility here?

I didn't have it when on hard mode. You get shit all money from the arena fights that would be better off being put into health and stamina upgrades, health especially being important as I was using the Diablo suit.

Number45

I didn't have it when on hard mode. You get shit all money from the arena fights that would be better off being put into health and stamina upgrades, health especially being important as I was using the Diablo suit.
I've been using the piñata suit to get the money for all of the upgrades - it makes a pretty significant difference. The money chests double in value from 500 to 1000. On the flip side the hard arenas are genuinely hard (the bigger hits are a one hit kill, even with a good number of health upgrades).

Is there something specifically tied to the Diablo suit? I saw a trophy for beating Calaca with it.

I've been using the piñata suit to get the money for all of the upgrades - it makes a pretty significant difference. The money chests double in value from 500 to 1000. On the flip side the hard arenas are genuinely hard (the bigger hits are a one hit kill, even with a good number of health upgrades).

Is there something specifically tied to the Diablo suit? I saw a trophy for beating Calaca with it.

IIRC if you beat him with full health using that suit it unlocks the trophy/achievement.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I have the vanilla Guacamelee on PS3/Vita, but have barely played it. Is it worth upgrading to this new version?

Number45

I have the vanilla Guacamelee on PS3/Vita, but have barely played it. Is it worth upgrading to this new version?
There's a decent amount of new content, and it's of the same high standard as the original in my opinion (including some pretty hard bits on hard). If you can upgrade at a reduced price I think it's worth it for anyone, but I love the game enough that I'd have paid the full price personally.

Playing on my 5.1 set up I notice the sound effects came out of the back speakers. Different from the majority of games I've played but I like it. Anyways, like others have mentioned switching to stereo should fix that.

oggob

Played, Platinumed and 100% the PS3/V version (inc DLC) when it came out and loved every moment of the game.

Picked this up again and started playing over the weekend, decided to play on Hard from the get go and about to head into Sierra Morena and how I have fallen in love with this game again!

It is simply such a dream to play, controls perfectly and pulling off linked combos is just so much fun. Loving some of the new enemies and had fun in the new area also. Plan is to take down Javier and then I will go back and 100% all the areas, the Infierno challenges and the caves before heading into the final area.

I've also been trying to play the game as vanilla as possible, not using Intenso (though a few times I swear it self activated) or any of the suits.

Number45

I've also been trying to play the game as vanilla as possible, not using Intenso (though a few times I swear it self activated) or any of the suits.
If you kill the tiny Intenso infused guys it fills your meter and activates it at the same time.

Montresor

Once I got the power to (mid-game spoiler, spoiling a power up)
switch between dimensions freely
the game really started to click for me.

#1: I love that there is no leveling up. You are never compelled to grind battles against an enemy in order to gain experience points. I guess there are some circumstances where people would have to grind to purchase upgrades, but I have not encountered that yet in 5 hours of play.

#2: Initially the battle system seemed really boring. But that changed the moment they introduced the Rooster Uppercut - I then saw how satisfying it was to string a combo, starting from the ground and moving the combo up towards the air.

#3: The game is filled with cool references and fun humour. Like... El Presidente's Daughter has a degree in "Jumanities". And so many references to old school games (primarily Nintendo) and even modern games too. I've seen a Castle Crashers, Minecraft, and Super Meatboy reference (for modern gaming). I've seen Megaman, Donkey Kong, Majora's Mask, and Super Mario Bros. references (for old school gaming).

#4: The power-up I mentioned before (spoilered above) is just incredible, and magnifies the quality of the game play tenfold. I absolutely love this type of stuff - it reminds me so much of Outland and (to a much much lesser extent) Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands. It's immensely satisfying to pull off maneuvers that require you to change the environment mid-jump.

#1: I love that there is no leveling up. You are never compelled to grind battles against an enemy in order to gain experience points. I guess there are some circumstances where people would have to grind to purchase upgrades, but I have not encountered that yet in 5 hours of play.

This is one of my favourite things about the way character progression is designed in Metroid and Zelda (discrete rewards for exploration and/or clearing specific challenges) that I find to be missing in most games that try to evoke them, and why Castlevania never caught on with me the way that Metroid did. There is definitely a grindable element in Guacamelee in the form of charging gold for health/stamina expansions and upgrades, but the gold flows so easily that the game never outright encourages you to grind. (Too easily, in fact, as the gold overflows into a meaningless surplus by the end of the game, making it easy to buy up everything instead of presenting difficult choices about what to buy. But I dislike currency-based progression in games like this for the same reason I dislike XP: if it's too easily obtainable it might as well not be there, and if its distribution is too scarce it encourages grinding, thus simply by having the system there at all the designers commit to a precarious balancing act.)

oggob

If you kill the tiny Intenso infused guys it fills your meter and activates it at the same time.

I kinda figured that would be the case, though I guess I thought those guys would just insta-fill the meter but not activate it... Kinda takes some strategy of mob management away, as it leads you to go for them first to blitz the remaining.

Number45

Finished up on hard mode, time to get that last (not at all easy) few percent in each level then see what trophies I still have outstanding. ^_^

Nephtes

Finished up on hard mode, time to get that last (not at all easy) few percent in each level then see what trophies I still have outstanding. ^_^

Good luck getting all the mask orbs... Some of those platforming sequences were torturous.

Also if you get stuck like I did, to 100% Infierno, you need to gold medal every challenge room or you will only get that zone to 75%.

Number45

I platinumed the Vita version, so I know what's coming. Did tree tops earlier, I'll probably put the Sierra one off until last though!

Hope the challenges are fun as well. :)

Number45

Thought I'd have a quick stab at the Sierra orb before bed last night... and managed it all in less than 5 minutes. ^_^

Downloaded this on the X1 via GwG and finally tried it before I went to work this morning. I seriously struggled to put it down, the game's just glorious!

Platinumed it,

the DLC trophies on the PS3 DLC were tougher

I got mixed feelings about the two new stages. I find that the Canal de los Flores had too many barriers impeding your path forcing you to work around another path of the map just to get around.

Same for Pico de Gallo, the obstacles there were more challenging but it made it a bit of pain for trying to 100% the chests after clearing the stage.

The Egg power up came too late into the game to be used for fun.

I like the game but I prefer the vanilla version on PS3

Arukado

I like the game but I prefer the vanilla version on PS3
I do too. The new stages are good on its own, but i don't think they improve or add anything new to the original guacamelee experience, which was already perfectly fine.

I also prefer the pace of the vanilla version.

ps: I liked that
demon's souls
reference at the beginning of hard difficulty.

Number45

All done. One or two new additions aside, still a fantastic game. One of my favourites of last and now this generation.

Finished this up last night. The final battle
against Calaca was surprisingly difficult at first but after a few tries, I learned how to handle each of his two forms.

Great game all around. Enjoyed it so much that I started up a new game right after finishing it on hard mode (which I never do).

bharatiyedu

Neo Member
Its a good game, but I felt that as you unlock full moves set it just became too much for me. Trying to hit 3 types of combo moves to traverse the surroundings especially during plat-forming.

Just Gave up today after beating the dude with Fire Skull

oggob

Its a good game, but I felt that as you unlock full moves set it just became too much for me. Trying to hit 3 types of combo moves to traverse the surroundings especially during plat-forming.

Just Gave up today after beating the dude with Fire Skull

Don't give up! You've past the halfway point easily and the game doesn't throw that much more new stuff beyond that point, one major power that is simple to use and makes some other areas easier

Number45

The platforming is probably my favourite part of the game. <3 tree tops (although it's much easier now that I know what to do). The platforming was quite a but harder on the Vita version due to the lack of physical inputs.

Montresor

Well I'm doing pretty well on Hard mode for my first playthrough (I used the Konami code).

... But I'm hearing the inferno challenges and getting 100% is extremely difficult on hard. I probably won't have a hard time beating the game on hard. But I hope I don't hit a brick wall trying to 100% it on hard.

Well I'm doing pretty well on Hard mode for my first playthrough (I used the Konami code).

... But I'm hearing the inferno challenges and getting 100% is extremely difficult on hard. I probably won't have a hard time beating the game on hard. But I hope I don't hit a brick wall trying to 100% it on hard.

It's not too bad, some will take time, patience and practice. But the various suits help greatly.

Number45

Yup, some of the combat challenges are much easier when you're powered up or have a better suit available. Rule of thumb: when you unlock a new power scour the map for new areas to explore before moving on.

jay23

Just finished the game today and this is completely true. I never fought Javier Jaguar before the nerf but I was expecting an epic battle. He was by far the easiest boss, don't think I got hit once.

Loved it tho, one of the most awesome games I have ever played. Thinking about starting it on hard so I can try out all the customs.

Number45

Javier was never that hard as long as a) you evade constantly and b) you got lucky with the shields. If you got the physical shields a lot it made the fight a lot harder because you need a barrage of hits to break it as opposed to a single super.

Once you know the patterns of all of the boss fights, they're pretty easy. But there's a small element of luck in there as well.

jay23

Javier was never that hard as long as a) you evade constantly and b) you got lucky with the shields. If you got the physical shields a lot it made the fight a lot harder because you need a barrage of hits to break it as opposed to a single super.

Once you know the patterns of all of the boss fights, they're pretty easy. But there's a small element of luck in there as well.

Yup I was having trouble with "final form" Calaca, until I learned every move he had.

Top Bottom