• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee: Super TURBO Championship Edition | OT | ¡Livin' la muerte loca!

Holy shit, this game is the bomb. Couldn't put it down because it was so much fun, powered through until the final (?) temple in a day and got most of the collectibles. Goddamn, getting those
orbs at tule tree and sierra morena
was painful... I love everything about it. The fighting is so damn satisfying. Transdimensional traversal can be pretty tricky though.

I love that we're getting new versions of all of these great games, perfect for those of us who skipped last gen (and most of gen 6) - this, flower, dead nation are all amazing, and soon we get to play the last of us and gta5 as well. Good days ahead.

3 major areas left. Two are the biggest in the game. Plus, if you're 100%ing, you'll have to go through most the areas again once you have all the powers. So you got a lot left.

Thanks! I'll finish it then go back through it for 100% another day I think, other stuff I need to play this month but really enjoying it :D

EktorPR

Climbing my way up Sierra Morena
to fight Jaguar Javier, I suppose
and I stumble upon what's definitely my favorite video game reference in the game so far... Almost fell off my bed from laughter.

A pilgrim from JOURNEY face front on the snowy slope!

This. game. is. awesome.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I love this game so much. Just got to El Infierno.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Oh man,

The platforming in this game is just the bees knees. The claw hand needed to
transdimensional shift, whilst rolling through red spikey bits and doing the requisite power moves to navigate the gaps
is just outstanding. I haven't been stuck at any point either so its hitting that sweet spot of challenging enough to make me feel like I've accomplished something and not beating my head against the wall.

Playing with the piñata costume to hit unlocks quicker.

I think I'm near the end
Just took out flame face
so my only complaint is the length of the game isn't going to be long enough for the amount of awesome it is. But it could be 20 hours and I would feel that way.

I do enjoy the fact that the game makes it very clear where you ought to be going at all times. A Metroidvania without too much of the "where should I be going" backtracking. And a solid enough combat system that I don't mind clearing rooms out a second time.

Footos22

Have they made this game easier or it may just be i so used to it form the vita.
I mean i just did treetops and the sienna mora orbs first time without even breaking a sweat.

"xbox record that"

records last 10 seconds.

FUCK YOUUUUUU

Jaguar went down within 30 seconds as well.

He owned me last year on vita multiple times.

Dont like the new areas much just bloats it out a little bit. boss was ridiculously easy. 100% all areas just need to do the last area tonight and then plough through the game on hardmode.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Epic game!

iBRa6lbyzFYDO.png

Beat Calaca on first try on my first play-through which was on Hard. Must say I was underwhelmed by both the fight and preceding Temple zone difficulty (especially after reading some posts here). I had more trouble with Javier than the end boss.

Though, SEQUEL POR FAVOR!

***End fight Spoiler***
***End fight Spoiler***
For good measure here's a quick sharefactory clip of me beating said Calaca, just phase two.
http://youtu.be/2yJjyky_48Y
***End fight Spoiler***
***End fight Spoiler***

Having played a lot of the original, I feel like Intenso is way too powerful. Are there any encounters that necessitate it and/or are difficult even with it?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Something I noticed while playing last night: the pink rain in the dead version of Desierto Caliente. It looks so cool.

Having played a lot of the original, I feel like Intenso is way too powerful. Are there any encounters that necessitate it and/or are difficult even with it?
Yeah, Intenso makes the game wayyyyyy easier. I'd recommend just not using it if you want a challenge.

Arukado

Not at all (at least on normal).

I completed the game yesterday and i thought the same about el intenso. It is too powerful. The original game wasn't particularly hard, now with el intenso it is just plain easy. They should have adjusted the general difficulty accordingly, especially on the caverna del pollo.

I'm actually really hyped about getting it for PS4 but I own it, and have finished it, for both PS3 and PC so I'm sitting this one out for a while. Need it on a 50% sale or something. Triple-dipping does that for a person. Love the game. Everyone who loves platformers owes it to himself to play it.

I'm still bummed there was no upgrade special for PS3 to PS4 owners but there was in Europe, wtf. Will wait for very heavy discount or free

The Cowboy

Apparently i own the PC version of this (the gold edition), i must have won it in the Steam thread - Installing it now because i had no idea how fun it looks :D.

Beat Calaca on first try on my first play-through which was on Hard. Must say I was underwhelmed by both the fight and preceding Temple zone difficulty (especially after reading some posts here). I had more trouble with Javier than the end boss.

Though, SEQUEL POR FAVOR!

I couldn't choose hard for my first playthrough, I think? I went with normal anyway, thought that was an amazing experience. I mean, just incredible. I never thought I would put in the time to 100% it, because I never have any interest in doing that, but for this game I just wanted to keep playing. When I first saw the challenges at El Infierno I never considered trying to go for gold (it looked insane to me) but soon enough I was chugging away at it; frustrating and enjoyable at the same time.

Got the game yesterday, I got all the trophies except the hard mode one earlier today and I already started my second playthrough. What's amazing to me it that it's still just as fun, and even better on hard as the challenge makes it more interesting. The combat is just so perfect; even after playing through the whole thing every single fight is still just as fun.

TK Turk

Banned
Do you get anything for getting 17 gold medals on the inferno challenge? I just did it.

I think just the achievement. You get something special for collecting all the orbs though....

Once you collect all the orbs, you can fly when in chicken form. This makes it a lot easier to 100% the game.

Well I have been playing this thanks to GWG for the past few days and I have to say that it's awesome. On one hand I feel dumb for not playing it on the Vita when I complain about how useless the thing is. On the other I'm glad I didn't because I am now playing the superior version for free. Are the Xbox One/PS4 versions the only ones that are 1080p?

I downloaded and played this at a friend of mines on his Xbone. The Intensoo mode is so fun, I tried to go back and finish off my copy of Gold and it seems so lacking. It's a shame I can't pay money to upgrade my gold to Turbo.

As a die-hard Nintendo fan I have to say that this game is the drug I needed for my Metroid addiction. It's different but so good! And the combat is awesome!

Hmm, im stuck on the Tule Tree on my way to getting 100%. I have 88% of the collectibles but can't see where I've missed anyway.
Is there something else at the top other than the part of the mask which I already got?

Ok so, the "goat" told me to do some backtracking. I'm ok with that but there are some purple walls I should break and I need that powerup, so my question is: should I ignore him and continue on my journey or is backtracking the best way? Because I want the good ending.

Edit: ok by fearing spoilers I didn't read about the pollo bomb :p

This game is really fun. I love the dimension switching, and Metroid-esque upgrades.
Also, the characters are pretty funny so far.
I like the curvy lady in the white gown; she's great.

Coreda

Since this is the current thread I'll ask here. I use remapped keyboard controls but in this forest section where it notifies me to 'tap' K to hop (I'm using K as the jump key), doing so doesn't change the jump in any way.

The same for 'hold' K to jump tip, and also the following room with 'Shift+L' to travel through wall spikes (using my remappings). None of the suggestions actually work, and I keep dying in the process.

Am I doing something incorrectly?

VbbAJSH.jpg

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Since this is the current thread I'll ask here. I use remapped keyboard controls but in this forest section where it notifies me to 'tap' K to hop (I'm using K as the jump key), doing so doesn't change the jump in any way.

The same for 'hold' K to jump tip, and also the following room with 'Shift+L' to travel through wall spikes (using my remappings). None of the suggestions actually work, and I keep dying in the process.

Am I doing something incorrectly?

VbbAJSH.jpg

Keyboard keys can't lightly be tapped, game was designed with controller in mind so I guess it wasn't thought of.
One of my favourite moments of the game.

iA2YRAlTfbyvt.gif

I'm glad people who missed out last year are now piledriving through this greatness.

Took me a few to realise what they were doing but then it was golden.

Coreda

Keyboard keys can't lightly be tapped, game was designed with controller in mind so I guess it wasn't thought of.

Well that's unfortunate, devs should pay more attention to their PC releases. Still doesn't explain why the combo to move through wall spikes fails.

Footos22

Got the 1000 on xbox one last night.

27th on leaderboards for 100% normal playthrough
and no.50 odd for hard speed run.

Not a fan of the xbox controller for games like this but i persevered.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Well that's unfortunate, devs should pay more attention to their PC releases. Still doesn't explain why the combo to move through wall spikes fails.

Dodging is also dependent on how long you press the trigger buttons/sticks on a controller.

Kajiba

One of my favourite moments of the game.

iA2YRAlTfbyvt.gif

I'm glad people who missed out last year are now piledriving through this greatness.

Haha, yes.

Beat the game yesterday and got the good ending. Just an awesome game to play. Love seeing all the cameo characters they put in the game.

When I saw the
journey character
layed out on the floor in backround was great. Love seeing things like that in games.

Phil S.

Banned
Really REALLY loving this game. Playing the Wii U version, and I love all the nods to Nintendo games, including dropping that one boss in a pool of lava via cutting the bridge it stands on, the Choozo statues, and this little Easter Egg.

fhVyqT6.jpg

Top Bottom