• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee: Super TURBO Championship Edition | OT | ¡Livin' la muerte loca!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This game is so effing amazing. I finally got around to beating Normal a few days ago and have been playing Hard ever since. It's SO GOOD. I love the extra challenge. I didn't bother collecting all the chests and stuff in my Normal playthrough, but I'm going for it now. I haven't felt this compelled to get all achievements in a game since Resogun.

Edit : I just found the Tree Tops area! Damn.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, I'm only halfway through Tree Tops and my hands are all sweaty. This is amazing.

[Edit] Wait, umm, wow. That was cruel, haha.
"Psych!"

Guacamelee! PS Vita
Drinkbox Studios
PSN Game|Released Apr 9, 2013
I think Z.. means the STCE edition.

DrunkDan

It's a great game and the addition of the DLC was fantastic for me, especially seeing as I beat the original game on Vita (Ps+ for the win) a while back.

Got the full 1000 gamerscore on the xbox one version too, although I think it was slightly easier to beat Javier this time because of the intenso power. Still a fantastic game though regardless.

Rembrandt

Banned
Seriously, no online is my biggest gripe about this game. Still an amazing game. Had fun all the way through and the platforming was surprisingly fun; I really enjoyed those inferno challenges.

dex3108

Apparently it's coming tomorrow to steam as a different game instead of a patch:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/275390/

There will be a discount for owners of the original, but there is yet no mention of price.

This trend of releasing redux versions of game is getting serious. There is no point to buy game in first 6-12 months when there will be 2 versions of same game later. We will get GOTY Edition and then Redux/Definitive/Remake Edition.

atbigelow

Picked this up Saturday morning (Wii U version) and could barely put it down. I honestly enjoyed everything about the game. Especially the art style. And secondly the music. Really felt awesome tromping around suplexing skeletons.

As a note, I wanted to mention the ability to easily gender swap the main character via costumes. I liked running around as a badass female wrestler.

Hey guys, I need help with a glitch in the game that's stopping me from progressing...

http://youtu.be/6udDOqHGRXw

This is the first time I uploaded something from PS4, my voice is pretty quiet so I'll reiterate. This is my first play through, I beat the boss but I want to get 100% before I play it on hard. I'm stuck at this part because the game freezes each time I try it. I think I missed something along the way because it mentions a meter that I've never seen and asks me to do a move that I don't have... Please help!

Nabs

Hey guys, I need help with a glitch in the game that's stopping me from progressing...

http://youtu.be/6udDOqHGRXw

This is the first time I uploaded something from PS4, my voice is pretty quiet so I'll reiterate. This is my first play through, I beat the boss but I want to get 100% before I play it on hard. I'm stuck at this part because the game freezes each time I try it. I think I missed something along the way because it mentions a meter that I've never seen and asks me to do a move that I don't have... Please help!

That's crazy. The game forces you to pick it up once you reach a certain spot, so I guess the game glitched out around then. I believe it happens early in the story, even before Canal de las Flores.

What a crappy glitch.

That's crazy. The game forces you to pick it up once you reach a certain spot, so I guess the game glitched out around then. I believe it happens early in the story, even before Canal de las Flores.

What a crappy glitch.
So I missed something eh? I guess I can just go ahead and start a hard run.

Chinbo37

Just beat the game on hard (PC) for my last achievement. I never played the first version, but STCE was great. The game as a whole was great. Highly recommended.

RedAssedApe

Banned
just finished this on ps4.

pretty fun ride. loved the little jokes and nods to other games (i see you Manny Calavera!):

http://www.ign.com/wikis/guacamelee/Easter_Eggs_and_References

near the end the difficulty level seemed to amp up a lot though. is this game supposed to be played co-op? it was pretty similar to my experience with strider where i breezed through most of the game and then the final level i started to get my ass kicked by the regular enemies lol

could just me being impatience though...the first 90% of the game i would rush through so i probably adopted bad habits hah

Meier

Finally got around to starting this on PS4 last night and it's fantastic. I'd heard good things of course for many years at this point, but had yet to play it in any form. Combat is of course moderately repetitive but I've really enjoyed the exploration thus far and the world shifting is a neat little technique. A lot of fun.

yyr

I grabbed the X1 version of this game when it was free on GwG. Didn't touch it until a couple of months ago...my fiancee had really gotten into Ori and the Blind Forest, and I heard this was a Metroidvania-style game that could be played in co-op, so maybe it would be a good game to play together.

Turns out it was a lot more than that. I just wanted to gush for a few minutes about how good this game is.

If you hate exploration, it's great, because the main quest is pretty linear and features constant action. When you're not partaking in the excellent combat system, you're playing tricky but just-right platforming segments, taking full advantage of the game's spot-on controls.

If you love exploration, it's great, because there's a good load of hidden stuff to find. You will want to plug away at it until you reach 100%. In addition, the optional content is fantastic. The level of challenge involved in reaching the orbs is perfect. The El Infierno missions are really well-made and are both fun and satisfying when completed. Actually, all of the platforming challenges in the game are really well-made. None of the game's abilities feel useless; they are all tested as you play through.

The combat never gets old or repetitive. How did Drinkbox manage this? By creating enemies that are all distinctly different from each other...abilities that are fun to use...a "grappling" system that not only works well but also is really useful within the system they created...and by maximizing what can be done with a few buttons and an analog stick. The combo system is icing on the cake. How many other games of this type have you played that have COMBO TRIALS? And they're just as well thought out as the other content.

The Achievements were just the right difficulty...I have most of them and I'm in the midst of a Hard difficulty run now. Hard requires that you actually use all of the game's various systems in order to succeed, and so it puts on display just how great and well-designed the combat and encounters actually are. And oh yeah, there's also co-op for up to 4 players. And the music is fantastic. And the jokes/references are actually funny. And while the Flash-cartoon-style look didn't appeal to me at first, it grew on me. It's clear that lots of effort went into the visuals.

Every feature of this definitive version of the game seems deliberate and well-thought out. In my 30+ years of playing video games, I've played so few that were so well-designed in every possible way. This game I hadn't even paid any attention to a few months ago has become one of my all-time favorites. Being a developer myself, and paying as much attention to my games' design as I do, I always find and note the design flaws. Even great games have them. But not this game. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

I am glad that Games With Gold gives you the option to buy a game outright, even while still being a Gold member who downloaded it for "free." This game is worth every penny of the asking price, and I'll be taking advantage of that option when I finish my Hard run.

This game deserves to be in the same conversations with the best in the genre. It is that good.

EDIT: also, the number of chickens in the game is sufficient, long live the chickens

EDIT 2: Ah, I see they're releasing something new soon: Severed, for PSVita. Guess that'll be a day one buy for me.

BumRush

Bumping this thread to say how awesome this game is. I'm only at the
volcano
(so, 3-4 hours in), but it's been so well designed up to this point.

jnWake

Indeed this game is awesome. I love how crazy the powerups get. You can do really neat combos by the end of the game.

Top Bottom