• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guacamelee: Super TURBO Championship Edition | OT | ¡Livin' la muerte loca!

Chinbo37

Perfect. I love to narrow down "definative versions" of games, even though I may not play them for a couple years.

Now if I can only figure out to play Mass Effect Trilogy on PC or Xbox 360...

jay23

BTW
what are the hidden secrets they mention after you complete the game? I read something about a different ending in this thread.

Number45

BTW
what are the hidden secrets they mention after you complete the game? I read something about a different ending in this thread.
You need to do that last fight again, when you have all
five orbs, excluding the one you get for defeating Calaca

Montresor

I just beat a near end-game boss (his name is
trio de las muertes
).

That boss fight alone is going to shoot up my rating score for this game. WOW!!!! The music was just incredible.

Montresor

Amazing game, just finished off the final boss on hard. Ill need to mop up for 100% so i can get the 1000/1000.

But I didn't get the challenge achievement... Dammit. Are there any xb1 players here who got the challenge achievement (all it says is Destroy Calaca)?

Number45

I just beat a near end-game boss (his name is
trio de las muertes
).

That boss fight alone is going to shoot up my rating score for this game. WOW!!!! The music was just incredible.
That's one of the new additions. :)

Amazing game, just finished off the final boss on hard. Ill need to mop up for 100% so i can get the 1000/1000.

But I didn't get the challenge achievement... Dammit. Are there any xb1 players here who got the challenge achievement (all it says is Destroy Calaca)?
If you mean Boom-Shack-Calaca (Defeat Calaca) then that doesn't have a difficulty requirement, so it should have been unlocked when you completed the game on normal.

Alright I had heard so many horror stories about Jaguar Javier but he didn't even pose a minor threat to me. What gives, I was really looking forward to it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Perfect. I love to narrow down "definative versions" of games, even though I may not play them for a couple years.

Now if I can only figure out to play Mass Effect Trilogy on PC or Xbox 360...

I'm thinking console just for controller support

sheaaaa

Alright I had heard so many horror stories about Jaguar Javier but he didn't even pose a minor threat to me. What gives, I was really looking forward to it.

I think they nerfed him after player complaints. I played the original on PS3 and had some trouble defeating him, but even on hard now he was a cinch.

Montresor

That's one of the new additions. :)

If you mean Boom-Shack-Calaca (Defeat Calaca) then that doesn't have a difficulty requirement, so it should have been unlocked when you completed the game on normal.

No it's a zero-Gamerscore challenge called Juano-A-Mano. It says "Destroy Calaca".

Montresor

Feels good man. That's a practically perfect run of Infernio challenge 4.

Anyway... looks like hard vs normal doesn't make a lick of difference with the challenges. I've been playing on hard for my first playthrough, and all game long I've had my ass kicked on bosses like Jaguar Javier and Calaca. I've been abusing the change-screen-size-to-heal exploit (I am shameless).

But I've been breezing through the Infernio challenges by comparison (I only need a gold on 17 to finish them off). The Infernio challenges are hard for completely different reasons. So if anyone is worried about doing Infernio challenges on hard difficulty versus normal - don't worry at all. Infernio challenges have less to do with staying alive and fragile health bars and whatnot. It's all about using your moves and creativity to get through obstacle courses and keep your combo hit counter up. You will fail, but never because you died - you'll fail only because you mis-hit the B button and had your combo reset to zero, or you screwed up a hurdle in an obstacle course.

edit: Damn thread is completely dead. Instead of triple-posting, I'll say: I think to get the challenge achievement on XB1 (Juano-A-Mano) you have to beat the final boss while wearing Juan's normal costume. I was wearing a special costume to get an achievement beforehand, so maybe that's why I didn't get the challenge achievement the first time I beat the final boss.

E1ff1rm.png
#54, great game all-round. The new areas and bosses are nothing to write home about, but more Guacamelee is good any way you look at it. :D

Meneses

I just came across an apparent Save bug on the PS4, where I try to load a game (in this case, a Hard mode save file where I was a couple hours in) but it just takes me to the very beginning of the game.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a way to fix it other than restarting from scratch?

Fowler

Had a weird experience last night on ps4 where the pause menu lagged so much it seemed frozen :

I've ha that happen more than a few times; seems to happen consistently to me when I pause when there's a lot going on. On the bright side, it's never once actually hung or lead to a crash, so don't worry too much about it.

Also: What an awesome, awesome game. My first PlayStation Platinum trophy!

Kssio_Aug

I got this game for free on the Xbox One, and was almost buying it for Vita not so long after starting playing it... I thought it would be a great game to play on the portable. But now... damn, Im starting to hate this game, at the end some puzzles are SO frustrating!

I just killed that
skeleton boss that plays some instruments
, and after that, in the way to the final boss, I reached a very boring and frustrating battle after so many boring and frustrating puzzles at that lava level. The battle starts with some saws spawing at the ground, so I have to stick at the wall, and then some bomb enemies starts to spawn, and I have to kill them before they explode, performing goat flies and wall runnings, or I fall at the saws and have to try it all again.... however, from the many tries I attempted, the last 3 of them I died at the exactly same moment, trying to perform a goat fly at a enemy that spawn at the middle bottom of the screen right near the saws, but failing when moving the left stick to the other direction and just falling on them. Also, this same enemy exploded before I could kill him on two other attempts I did.

For me, this game is just very frustrating, and could be much more funnier. Some puzzles that requires you to do a double jump, one or two skills at the right direction, and change the world with RT/R2 in a very fast way requires many attempts and end up very frustrating. Some enemies with yellow shields that can drain a hell lot of health on one hit and are hard to be taken down because the headbutt have some delay to register. And that feeling of relief that usually ends right at the next area with another frustrating puzzle!

Guacamelee have a great and funny art, good controls (besides sometimes not as responsive as I would expecte), a good combat mechanic, but many, many frustrating puzzles and some frustrating enemies encounters.

I will try to finish the game tomorrow, but for today I'm done at that area with saws on the whole ground and timed bomb enemies that spawns randomly over the place ready to throw you at the ground of death.

I got this game for free on the Xbox One, and was almost buying it for Vita not so long after starting playing it... I thought it would be a great game to play on the portable. But now... damn, Im starting to hate this game, at the end some puzzles are SO frustrating!

I just killed that
skeleton boss that plays some instruments
, and after that, in the way to the final boss, I reached a very boring and frustrating battle after so many boring and frustrating puzzles at that lava level. The battle starts with some saws spawing at the ground, so I have to stick at the wall, and then some bomb enemies starts to spawn, and I have to kill them before they explode, performing goat flies and wall runnings, or I fall at the saws and have to try it all again.... however, from the many tries I attempted, the last 3 of them I died at the exactly same moment, trying to perform a goat fly at a enemy that spawn at the middle bottom of the screen right near the saws, but failing when moving the left stick to the other direction and just falling on them. Also, this same enemy exploded before I could kill him on two other attempts I did.

For me, this game is just very frustrating, and could be much more funnier. Some puzzles that requires you to do a double jump, one or two skills at the right direction, and change the world with RT/R2 in a very fast way requires many attempts and end up very frustrating. Some enemies with yellow shields that can drain a hell lot of health on one hit and are hard to be taken down because the headbutt have some delay to register. And that feeling of relief that usually ends right at the next area with another frustrating puzzle!

Guacamelee have a great and funny art, good controls (besides sometimes not as responsive as I would expecte), a good combat mechanic, but many, many frustrating puzzles and some frustrating enemies encounters.

I will try to finish the game tomorrow, but for today I'm done at that area with saws on the whole ground and timed bomb enemies that spawns randomly over the place ready to throw you at the ground of death.
That battle is actually new to Super Turbo (and is also completely optional, since it just leads to a chest). But yeah, it totally sucks.

I feel like the new content just isn't quite up to par with the original stuff.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That battle is actually new to Super Turbo (and is also completely optional, since it just leads to a chest). But yeah, it totally sucks.

I've heard a few people say that at this point. Kinda reminds me of the Saturn port of SOTN, which adds a few new areas that people by and large hate.

Would be interesting if the original is actually the better experience overall.

Kssio_Aug

Oh, I didnt know that! Then, tomorrow I may try again if I start to get frustrating again I will just skip that puzzle.

Bebpo

Banned
Alright, finished my first non-100% just going through the main story speedrun of this new version and I dunno what people are talking about, the new areas are fun! Game is still the same awesome game, just with a little more content (which is good because the original, while great, felt a bit lacking in content). Enjoyed the new boss fight and new hidden treasures. The rage meter was great, especially for replaying the game since the annoying fights you could just rage out and smash through real quick.

Now time to 100% it! Didn't get the new hidden ability so want to check that one out.

Any feel that the new Skeleton Trio boss fight is a big homage to Gitarooman?
Was getting a huge vibe of this battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBqjBmz4LNQ when fighting them :)

Number45

I really enjoyed the new content - I think it feels a little out of place because its been injected mid-game but some of the content is actually significantly harder than what comes after. I guess they wanted it to be challenging.

after replaying it again and again, I find that Pico de Gallo to be nice addition and that the new boss fight fits well.

But I can't say the same about the Canale de las Flores, so I decided to only return to 100% it after I have obtain all the Orbs and Power-Up so I can maneuver around this area more easily

Bebpo

Banned
I really enjoyed the new content - I think it feels a little out of place because its been injected mid-game but some of the content is actually significantly harder than what comes after. I guess they wanted it to be challenging.

It's a good warm up for Treetops :p

Kssio_Aug

Does anyone know how long they take to update the profile at XboxClips? I recorded that saws room part this morning and was able to go through it. But now, I'm stuck in a much more ridiculous fight... Its on the great temple, I have to fight 1st one electricity enemy and 2 of those that throws a red thing, then I have to fight 2 electricity enemies and a giant one, and then I have to fight 3 of those electricity skulls.. but those last 3 together, are just INSANE!!! What the actual fuck they were thinking when designing those sections?? God damn!!

Jus beat them. Now I believe I will have some hard time with Calaca.
Edit: Calaca beaten... after learning his pattern wasnt really hard. Well... but thats it, I'm done. I dont think I will come back to try 100% on hard since I would have to face some frustrating puzzles and battles all over again. Tbh, I really liked the game mechanics... but I think that some rooms were too hard and not in a fair or funny way.

Number45

Those dragons that spit fireballs throw a massive spanner into the works of any already tricky fight setup.

I will say though, and I think this is true of EVERYONE that's done this, you'll be surprised how little you struggle on hard. For my part I just make sure I explore every part of the map with a new ability to make sure I'm as powered up as I can be to progress. Suit unlocks also carry over, which helps.

Bebpo

Banned
Does anyone know how long they take to update the profile at XboxClips? I recorded that saws room part this morning and was able to go through it. But now, I'm stuck in a much more ridiculous fight... Its on the great temple, I have to fight 1st one electricity enemy and 2 of those that throws a red thing, then I have to fight 2 electricity enemies and a giant one, and then I have to fight 3 of those electricity skulls.. but those last 3 together, are just INSANE!!! What the actual fuck they were thinking when designing those sections?? God damn!!

Yeah, that was the toughest fight in the game for me in the original. 3 lightning priests...frustrating.

But in this one with the intenso meter it's so.much.easier. Just use intenso, rush one or two of them and take them out in a few hits and the remaining one is easy.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Still on my first run through this updated version of the game. I've put in about 9 hours of time on the in-game clock. I've beaten Javier and am cleaning up areas around the map.

But the big news -- I finally beat Tree Tops and got the orb. Hot damn.

Now, other than Tree Tops (for the orb), is there any other serious obstacle to getting platinum on this? I never got through Tree Tops on PSV/PS3, so I feel like I have a shot here.

Please tell me I don't have to finish that piece of poop level with the flashing platforms.

Just started playing this and it is amazing, definitely one of the best games I have played in a long long time.

The music, design, just everything harmonizes brilliantly, can't find a single fault so far. I also like how it doesn't punish you too much for failing and allows to keep up a fairly high pace.

Number45

Now, other than Tree Tops (for the orb), is there any other serious obstacle to getting platinum on this? I never got through Tree Tops on PSV/PS3, so I feel like I have a shot here.

Please tell me I don't have to finish that piece of poop level with the flashing platforms.
If you want 100%, I'm afraid you do. It's funny though, first time out (Vita) I found it by far the toughest orb but this time out the whole sequence took me less than ten minutes including retries.

Yuterald

Yeah, I'm nearing the end of this version and I too think the new content/areas feel out of place and weird. They're not terrible, but there's definitely something off about them, I don't know.

jvm

Gamasutra.
If you want 100%, I'm afraid you do. It's funny though, first time out (Vita) I found it by far the toughest orb but this time out the whole sequence took me less than ten minutes including retries.
Well, I've taken a break and gone down to El Infierno to do some challenges. First time ever doing this section, and it's kind of neat. I seriously don't know how to complete some of them yet, but working on it. Already got the Pollo Bomb, so now I can go back and 100% some areas that were locked.

malfcn

For the challenge on Xbox, what is the reward? It has a gift box shown. KI gives KP and I think Forza gives credits?
Nevermind, when opening the challenge it tells you it is concept art.

oggob

Finally found some time to get around and finish this one off... Got the Platinum Trophy, found it amusing that the final trophy before the Platinum was me saving a new game onto file 2, lol

I really liked 1 of the 2 new areas, the Volcano and there were some tough kill rooms in that, the fishing village not so much. The new boss was nice and fun also.

Overall, even though they dumped the new stuff into the middle of the game, they still made it pretty cohesive, which wouldn't have that easy to do.

Still love the game and happy that a lot more people finally get to play it also.

Sequel please!!!

Jarlaxle

I never played this when it first came out. I just beat it on the XB1 last night. What an absolutely fantastic game! I loved it the entire time. I found some rooms challenging but always in a fun way. I never got frustrated and didn't seem to have as much trouble as some in this thread here seemed to. It was a great blend of art, humor, amazing music, and tight platforming gameplay.

If I didn't have such a backlog, I would go through the game again on hard but the pull of new games to play is too strong. I will definitely remember this one fondly though and it is probably the best game I've played all year. It's the definitely the one I've had the most fun with.

malfcn

I found a glitch in the Canal area.
A spot where you jump up from below to get some barrels.
When you are a chicken the screen flickers. When you are Juan the screen changes.
The flicker doesn't show up in Upload studio.

Xbox Clip.

I don't know if anyone is still playing this or even cares but I'll ask the question anyway.

The pollo bomb, and become a chicken achievements aren't working for me. I have become a chicken and can changed from human to chicken with LB but I still don't have the achievement. And I've killed an enemy with a pollo bomb and no achievement. What am I doing wrong?

I don't know if anyone is still playing this or even cares but I'll ask the question anyway.

The pollo bomb, and become a chicken achievements aren't working for me. I have become a chicken and can changed from human to chicken with LB but I still don't have the achievement. And I've killed an enemy with a pollo bomb and no achievement. What am I doing wrong?

First I've heard of achievements glitching in this game.

Nikokuno

One of the best game I ever play, spending so many time on the vita playing it.
The only things a don't achieve are cavern del pollo y Tule Tree but I planning on make it with the Steam release, don't get the feel some time with the vita control/fit.

I'm not a Metroid fan but the day I finish the final boss (oh, and most of the boss fight are hella good !!), I purchase Akumajo Dracula / Castlevania SOTN on PS Store.
I think the game art and atmosphere (I love Hispanic background IRL) plus the BTA setting just match my taste perfectly and Drinkbox Studio made great with the dialogues too, a very funny experience.

Just to say my 2p on this game, the game of 2013 for me (Mass Effect was my game of 2012, yeah a bit late).

Also I laughed out loud with the SF II intro, didn't expect Juan to hadouken-ed me :p

Special C

Is this game SO/Wife friendly? I beat on normal and I know I can beat it on hard mode solo. Could my non-gamer wife play with me on hard and feel like she is contributing and not just be frustrated? How do platforming sections work? Do we both have to make it through?

Top Bottom