• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian Heroes HD |OT|

Teknoman

Yeah an oversight maybe... but no way us treasure a shitty company. And this isn't just some port, much like ikaruga or radiant.

The ability to save between levels would be really cool.

most of my spare time has been spent playing Dark Souls recently and I've only put a bit of time into GH Versus and a few stages of Arcade.

Peagles

Teknoman said:
Honestly, i thought fullscreen was just referring to whether or not the game filled the entire screen without borders. Had no idea it meant 4:3.

I wondered the same thing. I've never heard of it being synonymous with 4:3.

Theonik

Phonomezer said:
The ability to save between levels would be really cool.

most of my spare time has been spent playing Dark Souls recently and I've only put a bit of time into GH Versus and a few stages of Arcade.
I think the game does autosave at points. Had left my 360 on accidentally and then it shut down automatically and was able to resume when i started the game again. Or is that not waht you are asking?

Theonik said:
I think the game does autosave at points. Had left my 360 on accidentally and then it shut down automatically and was able to resume when i started the game again. Or is that not waht you are asking?

A manual save would be nice, but autosave is fine too. Tbh, I haven't really progressed enough to notice, which is strange considering how much I was looking forward to the game... but, you know...

..Dark Souls has consumed me >_>

Phonomezer said:
Dark Souls has sapped so much of my free time too

Theonik

Phonomezer said:
A manual save would be nice, but autosave is fine too. Tbh, I haven't really progressed enough to notice, which is strange considering how much I was looking forward to the game... but, you know...

..Dark Souls has consumed me >_>
Just checked, to be exact it saves every time you reach the upgrade screen. You can just quit to dashboard and you'll have a continue option under story. Can also continue enabling remix mode or original mode from the point you quit. I agree that making that more clear and also adding manual save would be a good addition.
And I haven't picked up Dark Souls yet, was meaning too but then again I never got around picking up Demon's Souls either.

Kaijima said:
2. The existence of Sin & Punishment 2 invalidates any claim that Treasure is a "shit" developer.
But DOES THAT OFFER FULLSCREEN SUPPORT? I can't try a demo of that to know for sure.

Sixfortyfive said:
Jesus fucking christ. Of all the things to whine about...

I'm going to be online in a bit. Feel free to invite me for a versus game.
Sorry, I don't have time today. When I come back home I'll be playing Monster Hunter 3. Would be fun to get my ass kicked, though.

MightyHedgehog said:
I kinda see where this is an issue, but calling them a shit developer is pretty silly
Well, I am a silly man. And I'll be taking my silly comments to Treasure soon.

Theonik

The Spoony Hou said:
But DOES THAT OFFER FULLSCREEN SUPPORT? I can't try a demo of that to know for sure.
It's a Wii game. It works fine for 4:3 though I don't really recall exactly.

Syriel

The Spoony Hou said:
Alright, so apparently there really is no way to play in fullscreen... Why did I trust Treasure and buy this piece of crap? Thankfully I haven't bought Radiant Silvergun yet, but by the demo, no fullscreen mode either.

Treasure has no respect for their fans.

HD game made for HD TV is going to be in 16:9.

Expecting a game to be optimized for a 4:3 SD screen in 2011 isn't really common.

The Spoony Hou said:
If I'm wrong, please tell me how to fiz that, but until then, Treasure is now officially a shit company, even worse than Capcom. At least add fullscreen support in their old games.

Good for you, but I play on a fullscreen TV.

A developer catering to the vast majority of fans out there (versus a small minority) is not "shit." It's called responding to the market. Most buyers today expect games to be optimized for 16:9 TVs and HD resolutions. If you're still on a 4:3 TV, then you should expect to have dead space on the top and bottom.

It's the same reason why you no longer see horrid P&S fullscreen chopjob movie releases. Those used to be standard when 4:3 TVs were standard and widescreen releases were hard to find. Since 16:9 HDTVs are now standard, DVD and BR movie releases all default to 16:9 with the 4:3 P&S versions being rare.

The Spoony Hou said:
But this is not a remake, it's a port!

Anyway, I have a fullscreen, 29 inch, HD capable Samsung CRT TV. Widescreen isn't that bad in it, but if I can play in fullscreen it's better, of course. I was sure that this game would support it... And the text is so tiny :(...

My TV does it. And stretching the image is NOT an option to me, it would just look like shit.

So, change the option on your TV if it bothers you that much. Image stretching may look like shit, but at least you won't have the black space you seem hate so much.

Dave Long

Banned
The Spoony Hou said:

Sorry, I don't have time today. When I come back home I'll be playing Monster Hunter 3. Would be fun to get my ass kicked, though.

Well, I am a silly man. And I'll be taking my silly comments to Treasure soon.
Troll posting confirmed.

Tomasooie

Kaijima said:
1. This is not a port. It doesn't matter if it uses the original base assets. Remix mode is a new version of the game; new play mechanics, completely re-balanced. This is essentially an initial test for updating the game with a sequel, as far as I'm concerned.
The art assets aren't even taken into consideration when determining whether or not something is a port. When the underlying systems are converted to work on a platform other than the one it was originally coded for, it is a port. Ocarina of Time 3D is a port, with redone art assets and other enhancements. This is a port, with enhancements like widescreen, 12-player versus, and a rebalanced remix mode that changes some things and introduces some new techniques. But it's still very much a port. One of the best.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Finally got off my ass and finished unlocking characters. Golden Silver might be even more broken in Remix mode than Original. The gems don't seem to consume as much of a percentage of MP at around the lv50 range and the auto-regen at 0 MP helps him even further.

Theonik said:
It's a Wii game. It works fine for 4:3 though I don't really recall exactly.
Xenoblade doesn't have 4:3. Not that it really bothers me. What bothers me in that game is that it seems the game is rendering in 720x480 and then downscaling to 640x480, making the image jaggier than it should be.

But yeah, I'll buy S&P2 some day with or without fullscreen. I ws just kidding with that comment (well, caps lock makes it obvious).

Syriel said:
A developer catering to the vast majority of fans out there (versus a small minority) is not "shit." It's called responding to the market. Most buyers today expect games to be optimized for 16:9 TVs and HD resolutions. If you're still on a 4:3 TV, then you should expect to have dead space on the top and bottom.
No, a developer being lazy is shit. And, even if this game is magicly programmed, the RS port is shit. As I said, fix that and I take my comment back. Even Sega makes better ports. Fucking SEGA.

And I prefer black borders to stretched image, thank you. I may look like an idiot to you, but I'm not THAT much of one.

Sixfortyfive

I'm messing around with the rule settings for versus mode, trying to come up with a good standard for competitive play. Let me know what you guys think about this:

Mode: Remix
Strength Boost: x2.0 (default)
Time Limit: 3 minutes

Starting Position: Locked - Just a preference, as I don't really like having all of 1 second to find my character in a match with a large # of players.

Disabled options:
- Analog Row Movement
- Flight
- Infinite Aerial Moves
- Corpse Abuse
- Element Mods: Balances some of the defensive properties of the stronger characters.
- Luck Mods: Seems to eliminate randomness in damage/EXP levels, not sure if anything else is affected. Attacks that are dependent on luck, like Nicole's healing, are not affected when disabling this option; they still change in effectiveness according to the Luck stat.

Banned characters:
- Golden Silver: He's just a little too cheesy, and he might even be stronger in Remix mode considering how MP consumption and regeneration works. Stick with Proto Silver, who is still awesome but not auto-win.

All characters at level 50, though I'm considering imposing a lower level cap on some of the more powerful ones.**

All attacks permitted EXCEPT:
- Sky Spirit's Prayer & Earth Spirit's Recharge: A magic recharge for these two characters is just obscene. They're arguably still banworthy without it.

x3.00 magic consumption for the following characters:
- Kanon: It's not very feasible to ban his magic recharge outright, as he has no physical attacks to regain meter with. He's still very good even with this handicap.
- Probably going to add Sky Spirit and Earth Spirit to this list. Considering bumping Super Zur up to x1.50 or x2.00 since he has an auto HP regen, but I'm holding off on that for now.

x0.50 magic consumption for the following characters, as they cannot block* and need extra meter to be able to use defensive maneuvers more frequently (not like most of these guys could ever be viable anyway, but still):
- Zur
- Skeleton
- Zombie
- Royal Mage
- Golem God
- Mid
- Roper
- Wolf
- Nando
- Civ. Woman
- Civ. Child
- Civ. Elder
- Civ. Wimp
- Civ. Blimp

* Undead Hero and Undead Rogue also cannot block, but they're pretty strong characters to begin with and don't really need buffs.

** In general, candidates for nerfs would include: Golden Silver, Sky Spirit, Earth Spirit, Kanon, Super Zur, Undead Hero, and Han the Hero. Not saying that all of those characters need to be nerfed, but I wouldn't really consider expanding the nerfbat's range beyond them.

Sixfortyfive said:
I'm messing around with the rule settings for versus mode, trying to come up with a good standard for competitive play. Let me know what you guys think about this:
I like the way you think. I did something similar myself recently, although I didn't get that far into it and will definitely take some of your ideas on board.

I banned Undead Hero/Rogue's full-screen Decimation Crush/Blast, because it's too easy to pull off in Remix and has too much of an impact on the battle (then again, I still had blocking damage on). Also I'd be inclined to bump up their MP consumption since IIRC their Deathly/Accursed flame only costs 10 and strikes me as being too powerful for the cost.

Sixfortyfive

I'm still playing around with rules. Right now I've scrapped the x0.5 magic consumption for the weaker characters sice some of them can be decent counterpicks as-is, banned Han the Hero, and put a lv40 cap on Sky Spirit, Earth Spirit, Kanon, Super Zur, and Undead Hero... This is why I'm generally against utilizing system direction in competitive fighters. I never end up agreeing with myself for long, let alone other people, lol.

I don't think the full screen explosions are that bad considering that you have quite a bit of time to stuff them and can use up all your meter to backstep through the bulk of them if needed.

Sixfortyfive said:
I don't think the full screen explosions are that bad considering that you have quite a bit of time to stuff them and can use up all your meter to backstep through the bulk of them if needed.
Well, I haven't really experimented with backstepping enough to know how effective it is (still kinda stuck in the Original mindset).

Tain

It really is lame that this doesn't have true 4:3 support, much like it's lame that Senko no Ronde doesn't and some Cave ports initially didn't. It happens too often, and there's nothing crazy at all about avoiding this port (yes, it very much is a port) due to it.

Played through the Original mode the other day, and the main game just isn't for me. I'm glad I got it for the goofy multiplayer, for sure, but this game focuses on excelling in areas that I just don't care about.

Mike M

Nick N
Is it my imagination, or did Serena get nerfed something fierce in remix mode? I got fucking SLAUGHTERED on normal difficulty, didn't even make it to the undead hero before using up all my credits. Beat it on original mode just fine.

Did they remove her forward+heavy move (Where she jumps forward with a three hit slash) entirely, or just change the input to something I didn't figure out? Because apparently I rely on that one a lot...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Mike M said:
Is it my imagination, or did Serena get nerfed something fierce in remix mode? I got fucking SLAUGHTERED on normal difficulty, didn't even make it to the undead hero before using up all my credits. Beat it on original mode just fine.

Did they remove her forward+heavy move (Where she jumps forward with a three hit slash) entirely, or just change the input to something I didn't figure out? Because apparently I rely on that one a lot...

Her Forward + Heavy is now Katrina's Heavy attack. They did this with all the clone characters; in giving them 6 unique ground normals for the new chain combo system, they gave unique moves and properties to the characters, using the old animations.

My best suggestion for ya, is to use her ducking medium attack -> Standing hevy to make up for the old dash attack. That way you get the forward momentum + heavy attack stun and knockback. A personal favorite of mine is to rush in jabbing; her normals have great range, so I find the quick jabs to do a great job earning you advantage, and letting you get those combos in.

So maybe I'm really bad at this or maybe I need to not play remix..
Arcade is so hard for me to do. I've played as the cyclops and gotten like 15 kills max.

Any tips for a rookie?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
matics said:
So maybe I'm really bad at this or maybe I need to not play remix..
Arcade is so hard for me to do. I've played as the cyclops and gotten like 15 kills max.

Any tips for a rookie?

Here's a few tips I left on page 13 of this very thread:

Want to point out a few things about The (Remix) Universal backdash (A button):

• Takes MP to use CONTINUOUSLY, as in, canceled into another, while maintaining invulnerability. (think it's 5 or 10 per hop)
    • However, a normal backdash (Or backdash Cancel) is free (cost no MP.)
    • This also means you can stagger the press, to chain together normal dashes, but it's not 100% invincible like the chained ones.
  • Allows you to cancel normals instantly.
  • Passes through everything, so can be spammed to cross the field out of a corner, if you have the meter for it.
  • Moves "back" from the direction you're PRESSING when you do the move. Hence, you can actually use it to hop through the person you're attacking (by holding away from them, and then hopping), and continue to pressure them. Might be useful for combos! Can also be used to hop TOWARDS an opponent after a throw, again, possibly opening up combo possibilities.
  • Chain Backdash has ridiculous amounts of invincibility (hence why it cost MP). You can multi backdash through all of Nicole's / Earth Spirit's Barrier, Sky Spirit / Undead Hero's Explosions, etc.

I think it's the key to winning at Arcade mode, for instance. Hopping through all the enemies, finding a safe spot, and then starting the carnage, or hopping INTO a group, praying not to get hit, and then using your instant clearing attacks, are all pretty nice.

As far as cyclops specific: Make sure to use that Eye Beam! Get into a good spot, chain up some combos for MP, then blast them to the next world! Spamming of the thing can get some nice control, until you kill off enough so that new people start walking in behind you.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Wait how do I save...??

I beat a few Levels and got Game OVer then had to start from the beginning. I guess I need to beat a whole set of levels and then save?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wait how do I save...??

I beat a few Levels and got Game OVer then had to start from the beginning. I guess I need to beat a whole set of levels and then save?

You don't save. This is a "sit down and play to the end" game, not a "play a few min and save your progress" style one.

However, the continue function does let you restart if you quit in the middle of a level.

And just to make sure it's clear (this was asked a lot in the past), note that your levels are reset each time you start the game again, there's no saving your leveling up for another playthrough in this game. You're meant to grow with the adventure each time you play.

Sixfortyfive

It's been a while since I played. I just got prompted for an update when loading the game. Anybody know what it does?

EDIT: Maybe it's just due to me recently clearing out my system cache...

Top Bottom