• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian Heroes HD |OT|

Clunker

Man, this game.

I remember being a kid, not having nearly enough money for a Saturn, and reading through one issue of a gaming magazine over and over again dozens of times, just because it had some kind of crazy blowout on Guardian Heroes. It was an obsession for me, a white whale I'd never reach.

And now I just bought it for ten bucks digitally!

I played a bit last night, and all of those childhood memories came coming back as soon as I fired up the demo. Loved it, bought it right away, played about half an hour before going to bed. For some reason, my game data with Han didn't save (maybe it was the conversion from demo to full? I don't know), but I didn't give a shit since I planned on playing through dozens of times, and I was only Lv. 30 and hadn't even beaten the game last night.

I know that it's a Treasure game, but man, this is a lot harder than I was expecting. :p I did manage to get through the game once this morning with Han and the Sky Spirit boss, just barely squeaking by on my last continue. Love it to pieces.

Question: What exactly do the stats do? No in-game documentation that I can find.

Dark Octave said:
Yeah this game is awesome now that I understand what kind of game it is. Loving that rising upper move with the big sword guy. I can't wait to try out some other characters. I just found another reason to kick myself for never owning a Saturn...

Down, Down Y then Down Down Y again in mid air + Crowd of Enemies = Good times.

Brannon said:
Oh yeah, this is the stuff, from the moment that guard breaks in and Serena heartlessly cuts him down, the love came back in full force.

For me it was the moment that they drop down in the town and they pan over to the guards who yell "Whaa!"

It almost made me cry tears of joy.

Tain said:
oh, cool, this is out today.

Will download ASAP, Dark Souls is probably going to eat all my time today though.

I got excited when I heard about Arcade mode in that TNL review, but it's just a flood of enemies? Oh. :|

I think it is the PERFECT compliment to Dark Souls to cleanse your pallet. Crazy fast action and cutting lots of dudes down to amazing sound track.

A great alternative to crying in despair over the 10,000 souls you just lost.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Tomasooie said:
No, the remixed graphics aren't that great.

A very heavy "smoothing" filter has been applied. It's just like on the Backbone emulations -- you lose detail for sharpness. The remixed graphics still look too dark compared to original, especially the backgrounds. Look at the lit windows on the opening. In original, they look bright and yellow, as a lit window during nighttime should look. In remix, they're a darker yellow, and it no longer looks correct.

Problem in GH case, there wasn't as much detail as we'd like to think! Some is lost, but I think it's actually a decent enough trade. The Pencil Shades are an attempt to GIVE something to the style, while the smoothing takes something away.

I'd, of course, like to see it all re-done with higher-quality pixel work (KoF XIII style), but yeah....

And as for the Dark BGs, you can change the darkness of night-time remix mode in the options screen. It's just an attempt to give it more atmosphere... Having played through Remix Stage 1 like 12 times now, it really doesn't hurt it in the slightest...

Tomasooie

Clunker said:
Question: What exactly do the stats do? No in-game documentation that I can find.
In the Help & Options, it's under How To Play > Basics > Leveling Up.

Strength (STR): Powers up your physical attacks.
Vitality (VIT): Decreases the physical damage you take.
Intelligence (INT): Powers up your magical attacks.
Mentality (MNT): Decreases the magical damage you take.
Agility (AGI): Speeds up all your movement.
Luck (LCK): Brightens up your day.

Luck is elaborated on under Help & Options > How To Play > Sublime > Luck.

Your Luck stat affects the following:

--How much damage you deal
--How much damage you take
--How much EXP you earn
--HP/MP recovery after each scene

Teknoman

Alright, going to make a Guardian Heroes GAF tag sometime today. Hopefully we'll be able to have some decent co-op and vs connections.

EDIT: And the filter is nothing like what Backbone would use.

SAB CA said:
Problem in GH case, there wasn't as much detail as we'd like to think! Some is lost, but I think it's actually a decent enough trade. The Pencil Shades are an attempt to GIVE something to the style, while the smoothing takes something away.

I'd, of course, like to see it all re-done with higher-quality pixel work (KoF XIII style), but yeah....

And as for the Dark BGs, you can change the darkness of night-time remix mode in the options screen. It's just an attempt to give it more atmosphere... Having played through Remix Stage 1 like 12 times now, it really doesn't hurt it in the slightest...

It really doesnt. Its not all muddy or anything like that. Its one of the better filter jobs, and its Treasure...nuff said.

Syriel

WorthPlaying Review posted this morning: 9/10

WorthPlaying said:
Re-releasing updated versions of classic titles has become something of a trend, but Guardian Heroes isn't just another title hopping on the bandwagon. This is a port that has been given proper care, resulting in a game that is still solid all around. Top that off with a bargain 800 MSP ($10 USD) price point, and there's little reason not to add Guardian Heroes to your collection.

Teknoman

Seriously if you like fun games, RPG, tons of action, wide area arena fighting games, a great versus mode with lots of options, extremely large amounts of replay value, and an incredible soundtrack, you WILL like Guardian Heroes.

Syriel

Skilletor said:
I think the fuck awesome gameplay is part of the "charm." I can do without the game looking like something blown up 100x too big.

Mostly agree. As for the pixel look, I think that's personal choice.

I've been playing with classic controls + remix graphics. I much prefer the remix watercolor look over the pixelated original, but I can see how others might prefer the old school blocky look over the filtered look.

Teknoman

The new translation's cheesiness is kinda awesome...of course i've always liked Macho and his crew. Really all the characters are pretty likeable in their own way (even if alot of em are 90s anime stereotypes, but thats Treasure's forte).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Those of you picking Original mode for the controls should know that that locks you out of a lot of improved features. Remix mode isn't just different controls; there's a whole lot of system and character tweaks that come with it.

Skilletor

Sixfortyfive said:
Those of you picking Original mode for the controls should know that that locks you out of a lot of improved features. Remix mode isn't just different controls; there's a whole lot of system and character tweaks that come with it.

I never played the original. What are the differences?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Skilletor said:
Pushblock, burst, airdash, more natural magic series, clone characters differentiated, more sensible magic spell costs, combos that are consistent across different levels, and a bunch of stuff SAB would probably be better fit to run through.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sixfortyfive said:
Skilletor said:

Pushblock, burst, airdash, more natural magic series, clone characters differentiated, more sensible magic spell costs, combos that are consistent across different levels, and a bunch of stuff SAB would probably be better fit to run through.

XD Your collected it all so well, though!

The in-game "how to play" actually does a good job going over the overall system changes. It has character sprites used for references as well, so it's a pretty solid tool.

The Remix mode basically pulls out most of (if not all) the stupid stuff that would have made GH very frustrating to play in online VS for non-fans, and replaces it with a fighting engine worthy of a competative brawler. They've changed simple things (such as making old clone characters now have different combos and move properties from each other), to complex things (a whole new guard / defensive system, throw teching, Univeral Air Dash / Double Jump, Universal Chain Combo system, removal of low MP dizzy, Normalization of meter, modified hitstun, etc).

It's not an exaggeration to say that this is actually 2 games in 1. While the core is there in both, the competative and metagame play has been given a pretty solid upgrade.

Even the A.I has improved, and the Hard difficulty has been re-balanced in Remix, to give even those who could 1cc the Saturn original a run for their money.

Teknoman

Damn lost my last credit to
Sky warrior
Valgar.

Was the Karma system in the original, because I had no idea about it. Was young then, but still...was it mentioned in the old school manual?

Mike M said:
A thousand times this. Even at the time of release, the game was *terrible* looking anytime you had a sprite scaled outside of it's original size. Which was all the fucking time!

The remix graphics are great, all the pencil sketching stuff that people were upset over in the original photos is barely perceptible, usually only when a sprite isn't moving at all (which is practically never).

Speaking of which, am I misremembering, or were there going to be multiple filters?

And a million times this. Ginjirou is the schnitzel.
The pencil sketch look is very noticeable on my TV.

I don't have a problem with it, but it really stands out to me.

Teknoman said:
Damn lost my last credit to
Sky warrior
Valgar.

Was the Karma system in the original, because I had no idea about it. Was young then, but still...was it mentioned in the old school manual?

I'm pretty sure it's new.

Nobody on my friend's list is playing this and this thread seems to not be getting a lot of traffic.

If you bastards don't buy it and it causes us never get Guardian Heroes 2, I'm going to be pissed. This game is amazing.

I'm sorry if asked before but WTF is up with not having 2 player local co-op for the story mode???
Bought the game thinking that is would be an awesome local game (yeah maybe a bit naive but still).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
EternalGamer said:

The Karma system was in the old game. It's the key to getting varied text in the endings. The way we knew of it in the old game, as that you could see it in the debug mode menues while playing.

It's just that, now, they've made it easier to know of, and most can either explain how it works, or link you to something that explains it, lol.

The Dutch Slayer said:
I'm sorry if asked before but WTF is up with not having 2 player local co-op for the story mode???
Bought the game thinking that is would be an awesome local game (yeah maybe a bit naive but still).

The game has 2 Player Local Co-Op, 4 player VS, and System Link capabilities for VS mode (So 3 360's for 12 players). The only mode thst has no multiplayer is the "Arcade" mode, as it's a single player survival, that exist for the sake of chasing leaderboard scores.

Syriel

The Dutch Slayer said:

Um, it does?

You have to press the start button on the second controller to join the game. ;)

Teknoman

The Dutch Slayer said:

Go to Story mode. Its the standard mode that was availible in the Saturn version.

EternalGamer said:

Nobody on my friend's list is playing this and this thread seems to not be getting a lot of traffic.

If you bastards don't buy it and it causes us never get Guardian Heroes 2, I'm going to be pissed. This game is amazing.

Dude, are you still on my friend's list? If not, PM me and we can co-op for old time's sake. EvAv/CoG OG's, unite. :)

Sixfortyfive said:
It also seems to save whatever level/credit count you had at the moment you quit, not the moment when you entered that stage.

So in theory you could play to the end of one of the easy stages, quit, reload your save, and boost your stats?

Hell let's take it a step further. Say it looks like you're going to get rammed, just quit and restart the stage fresh and clean.

That would explain the lack of campaign leaderboards. It seems like the easiest system to abuse.

I believe the original game penalized you for this stunt for taking away a credit every time you quit.

EternalGamer said:
I think it is the PERFECT compliment to Dark Souls to cleanse your pallet. Crazy fast action and cutting lots of dudes down to amazing sound track.

A great alternative to crying in despair over the 10,000 souls you just lost.
I agree I had a bad night playing dark souls losing tons of souls but I start GH and I am having fun again.

I do hate that everyone I play with online always skips the story/text. I like reading the story.

Just tested with a friend multiple times and have come to the conclusion that mics really mess up the netcode. We tried joining a party and talking and the game was smooth as can be. So if you are getting that horrid synching issue there is a good chance it is caused by the mic audio from someone in the game.

Crazy I know but trust me it's true.

Teknoman

Ryu bogard said:
I agree I had a bad night playing dark souls losing tons of souls but I start GH and I am having fun again.

I do hate that everyone I play with online always skips the story/text. I like reading the story.

Blasphemy. I'll never skip text, unless its something we've already been through.

Clunker

Tomasooie said:
In the Help & Options, it's under How To Play > Basics > Leveling Up.

Strength (STR): Powers up your physical attacks.
Vitality (VIT): Decreases the physical damage you take.
Intelligence (INT): Powers up your magical attacks.
Mentality (MNT): Decreases the magical damage you take.
Agility (AGI): Speeds up all your movement.
Luck (LCK): Brightens up your day.

Luck is elaborated on under Help & Options > How To Play > Sublime > Luck.

Your Luck stat affects the following:

--How much damage you deal
--How much damage you take
--How much EXP you earn
--HP/MP recovery after each scene
Ahh, thanks! Can't believe I missed that, I felt like I went through all of those screens.

I messed around with Serena a bit this morning, and the game feels totally different. Can't wait to delve more into it, too bad I have to catch up on work tonight. This is the first time I'm playing GH, and as a guy who generally likes beat-em-ups and really enjoyed Castle Crashers, I have to say: This game completely kicks the crap out of Castle Crashers.

I think original graphics look more professional. Jaggies really hide flaws in the art work or that the filter could be to blame for. The remixed looks kind of ameturish. Still charming, but ameturish.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Posted a few observation on SRK, figured I might as well post them here too :)

Note: You can Pushblock Nicole's Barrier (Guard + Medium Attack, out of blockstun). It pushes her and the field away, allowing you to easily plane switch / wait for her cancel and punish / etc.

You can use the "Burst" (Block + Heavy Attack) style mechanic to tech out of dizzy. So the only time Dizzy should worry you, is when you have low MP. It's a good tactic to keep normal characters from spamming skills, because if you've spammed (out of MP), and then get trapped in a solid combo, your character's life could possibly be over, haha.

You can also use it to escape moves WHILE BEING HIT. You can recover instantly into block, so no worry about using it to escape, and then still eating persistant hits.

Want to point out a few things about The (Remix) Universal backdash (A button):

• Takes MP to use CONTINUOUSLY, as in, canceled into another, while maintaining invulnerability. (think it's 5 or 10 per hop)
    • However, a normal backdash (Or backdash Cancel) is free (cost no MP.)
    • This also means you can stagger the press, to chain together normal dashes, but it's not 100% invincible like the chained ones.
  • Allows you to cancel normals instantly.
  • Passes through everything, so can be spammed to cross the field out of a corner, if you have the meter for it.
  • Moves "back" from the direction you're PRESSING when you do the move. Hence, you can actually use it to hop through the person you're attacking (by holding away from them, and then hopping), and continue to pressure them. Might be useful for combos! Can also be used to hop TOWARDS an opponent after a throw, again, possibly opening up combo possibilities.
  • Chain Backdash has ridiculous amounts of invincibility (hence why it cost MP). You can multi backdash through all of Nicole's / Earth Spirit's Barrier, Sky Spirit / Undead Hero's Explosions, etc.

I think it's the key to winning at Arcade mode, for instance. Hopping through all the enemies, finding a safe spot, and then starting the carnage, or hopping INTO a group, praying not to get hit, and then using your instant clearing attacks, are all pretty nice.

It's great to see how many changes they put into the clone characters. For instance, Macho now has a 2 hit Wind-Punch, while Gambo's only hits once. Gambo's cround combo floats, while Macho's keeps you grounded, which leads to different followups. Also (this was in the original too) Macho has an instant DP, while Gambo's is slower, but has startup invincibility. There's a great amount of things that really makes each character feel different. I think Gash may be my favorite "Han Clone" now, because the multi-hit be gets off his Mid and Strong strikes are great fun, lock the enemy in, and he can jump cancel his "Han Dynamite" combo after the last hit, Plus his heavy "Air dive" special seems to recover quicker.

Daigoro

i wish you could use all unlocked characters in the story mode. it would be so fun even if it was broken.

they shouldve added that for fun. i doubt ill spend much time in VS or Arcade at all.

Victrix said:
Any gotchas in the 2p online coop? Don't want to buy another Castle Crashers trainwreck.

no gotchas because no stats or info ever saves and games only take about 20 min max. just hop on and play, nothing to lose besides using up all credits and not finishing a run.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Daigoro said:
i wish you could use all unlocked characters in the story mode. it would be so fun even if it was broken.

they shouldve added that for fun. i doubt ill spend much time in VS or Arcade at all.

Eh, would have sucked for story mode, unless it was completly redone. But it would have been nice if they added some kinda stage rush mode of something, letting you go through each stage in numbered order, to play whichever character. Of course, then the game would have probably been 1200 pts, and more people would have complained! LoL.

Arcade mode is a nice, leaderboard-centric way to give single player people a way to use all the unlock characters, though. I like it more than I thought I would, as it really makes you dig into the new gameplay systems, to survive a 21-opponent-at-once constant onslaught. Wonder if I'm still No.1 on the "Macho" Leaderboards...

Normal remix is fun as hell but Hard remix is uh...not fun at all.

I guess it's fun if you like spending 90% of each encounter hopping and shifting all over the battlefield to create an opening(which you'll have to give up if somebody gets behind you). I went with Han because at least he can survive a hit, but his moveset gets screwed over after he loses the sword.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Normal remix is fun as hell but Hard remix is uh...not fun at all.

In a way, it seems like a big interactive tutorial for the power of the Remix tools. I haven't played Hard Remix since the demo, so I can't really comment on it specifically, but I can agree with someone who said that Remix Hard probably should have been a "Very Hard" option, and a normal "Hard" should be more like the old game's variety.

I'd really be willing to pay for DLC for this game. Not just basic stuff, but I wish they'd make some really cool things, like have Sega let the "Streets Of Rage" cast guest star as DLC characters, (Or the guy from Beyond Oasis, or some Shining Force characters...) or adding a new "what if" scenario that would allow a wider variety of the cast to be played in Co-Op, which COULD then have 4 players added for play.

It feels a bit unfair to call for more, given that this is already an insanely good value for a 800 pts remake, but it's all turned out so well, that it makes me very interested in seeing what else Treasure could do.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
SAB CA said:
Posted a few observation on SRK, figured I might as well post them here too :)

What thread on SRK?

did a search for guardian heroes and couldn't find you

cackhyena

So a few questions from a guy new to this game and not having enough time yet to get to know the details. Is there no way to save progress? Just like an arcade style game where you have to do it all in one sitting? Also, using Han, Is there an easy way to cancel combos so I don't always have him finishing with that goofy taunt that tends to leave me exposed?

Oh, and is it worth it spending AGI points on Han? I was dumping them into him because he felt kinda sluggish. Not sure how much of a difference it was actually making, though.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
cackhyena said:
So a few questions from a guy new to this game and not having enough time yet to get to know the details. Is there no way to save progress? Just like an arcade style game where you have to do it all in one sitting?

It is mostly like an arcade game, but if you quite mid-story mode, it'll let you come back by selecting "Continue". I used to abuse this on the Gameboy Advance game, but never really use it on consoles...

That saves that "run" through the game, but no, there is no way to save you levels from clearing the game once, for another run. It's not that kind of game.

Did that clear it up for you?

Also, using Han, Is there an easy way to cancel combos so I don't always have him finishing with that goofy taunt that tends to leave me exposed?

That entire combo is considered to be a "special move". You can jump-cancel in the middle of it (hold up before getting to the final hits), but the whole point of that combo is to discourage mashing, so you're suppose to eat damage if you do it too often! ;)

However, the Remix mode has new combos. You do those by pressing light attack, medium, and then heavy. If you use "down + Heavy attack" (for most characters) you can jump after the final hit, and continue to attack the opponent. Use this option instead, if you want to combo with Han, without getting stuck.

Oh, and is it worth it spending AGI points on Han? I was dumping them into him because he felt kinda sluggish. Not sure how much of a difference it was actually making, though.

In the original game, agility made you move faster, attack faster, recover faster... in the remix mode, I think all it does is make you move faster. (Someone correct me on this, if I'm wrong!) So it's more worth it (to me) in Original, than in Remix.

cackhyena

Appreciate the help. I was mixing it up with L, M and H attacks but I still was feeling like there has to be more. Didn't know there was launchers and such. I really need to spend more time with the game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
cackhyena said:
Appreciate the help. I was mixing it up with L, M and H attacks but I still was feeling like there has to be more. Didn't know there was launchers and such. I really need to spend more time with the game.

Alot of it is still new to even us old GH veterans, so no worries :)

Random Thought: I think I want a "Deal With It!" or "Haters Gonna Hate!" With the Cyclops' Optic Blast
(heh heh)
. The way they put their hands on their hips while shooting is so awkwardly casual...

Top Bottom