• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of Middle-Earth |OT| One Sauron to Feed Them All (Console DOTA game)

Phinor

Bert the Troll and Bilbo are up apprently and they are 108KB each. Please don't tell me its 'on harddrive' DLC.....

108KB is exactly that. And it had to be really, otherwise they'd have to patch the game for everyone, even to those who don't have the DLC bought and patching costs money. But now that it's obvious that the DLC is in the game already, I'm completely on board with the thought that this should have launched at 800 points.

Not that the price point is the biggest issue right now, it's almost 2013 and we have a game from an established studio, a game with huge networking issues.

Syriel

Bert the Troll and Bilbo are up apprently and they are 108KB each. Please don't tell me its 'on harddrive' DLC.....

Sort of...

They're not in the original game download.

They are in the 202MB Compatibility Pack download which includes the free Shire map skin.

If you have the Season Pass, they're accessible once you download the compatibility pack.

If you don't, you need to pay 160MSP each.

Zeroth

The new guardians are interesting. Bilbo is a melee striker, and he's pretty good. Can get into group fights easily and bring down many guardians at the same time, but he's more vulnerable than Legolas and Hardir due to having to fight as melee.

Bert is interesting, he is more independent than most Strategists, and he has some nice combos. However, he can't win fights by himself, nor has the stamina to do so.

Syriel

Did an update come out?

DLC with two new Guardians and the Shire skin was released for the 360.

No title update as of yet though.

Edit: One is supposed to be "coming soon" for the 360 with multiple fixes. A matchmaking patch for the PS3 is up based on what I've read in the forums, but someone who plays on PS3 will have to confirm.

Card Boy

Banned
If anyone wants anything added to the OP let me know. If someone wants to make a google docs spreadsheet with Gamertags/PSN ids feel free to drop a post and i will update the OP with the spreadsheet.

Cynar

Did an update come out?
It did say compatibility update. I was able to finish all 5 of my games today versus yesterday when people quit and caused the game to end. Maybe 2 out of 7 games yesterday were actually completed so I think the compatibility update helped. Still some lag issues though.

params7

Banned
have they fixed the match making? Its a brilliant game but I told myself I won't touch it till I can find people to play with within 60 seconds at least.

Cynar

have they fixed the match making? Its a brilliant game but I told myself I won't touch it till I can find people to play with within 60 seconds at least.
No. I must've had a fluke night the other day because tonight was tons of disconnects with some waits for matches over 5 mins.

Zeroth

Matchmaking got better in the PS3. I still get disconnects, but nothing as bad as before. I also noticed there are more people playing, I just got in a 1 lane BattleGrounds battle with 10 players, which was pretty rare. I was kicked after a player disconnected, but in my 3 lane match with 6 humans a bit before, everything was perfect.

Card Boy

Banned
2 more characters Thorin Oakenshield and the Great Goblin are now available apprently.

This game has too many dwarfs and not enought Hobbits. I got a feeling the rest of the Season pass characters are going to be from The Hobbit outside Snaga and the Barrow Wight Lord. Maybe we will see Smaug the Dragon?

Zeroth

This is a game I wasn't too sure about picking up and almost did. Glad I didn't now as will get in the new year. Seems slightly like a kick in the teeth to put such a new game in to plus if you don't do it at launch, don't do it the next month and screw over the people that did already pay for it.

I don't live in the euro zone, but I don't particularly mind it. The game needs more players, and making it free for plus subscribers seems to be a good way to do so.

Also, the new guardians are interesting. I tried a critical loadout on Thorin and it worked very well.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I normally play as Ugluk on the 360. The matchmaking is a bit better than it was at launch, but there were 2 internet drops out of the 6 matches I played tonight.

Enordash

As a complete newcomer to the world of MOBAs, I'm looking forward to this. I've actually been watching LoL for a good while but I feel too behind to jump in. Also, as everyone knows, the community doesn't feel very open. I thought I had it bad in the FGC at times. It seems like the MOBA community is way worse :(

Zeroth

As a complete newcomer to the world of MOBAs, I'm looking forward to this. I've actually been watching LoL for a good while but I feel too behind to jump in. Also, as everyone knows, the community doesn't feel very open. I thought I had it bad in the FGC at times. It seems like the MOBA community is way worse :(

Well, I find this community to be more welcoming... though that may be due to the rarity of voice-chat and how troublesome it is to message people in the middle of a match on the PS3. That said, a guy did curse me though messages after I killed him 3 times in a row :p

oneils

I just realised that Monolith made this game. Huh. I was wondering what they were up to.

I am seriously considering this game. Saw the quick look on giant bomb and this looks more like my speed. I really am no good at Dota2 or LoL. Maybe I can use this as a trainer. Yep, I crappy at MOBAs.

Dynamic3

I just realised that Monolith made this game. Huh. I was wondering what they were up to.

I am seriously considering this game. Saw the quick look on giant bomb and this looks more like my speed. I really am no good at Dota2 or LoL. Maybe I can use this as a trainer. Yep, I crappy at MOBAs.

I would wait until they make the game actually work, if they ever do. Matchmaking for all human games simply doesn't work, and if your content mixing in 6-7 AI opponents, you're probably going to get dropped anyway. And they only just recently stopped counting drops as losses.

They seem to have releasing DLC figured out though, kinda.

Syriel

Is this online only game or is there a campaign to play?

You can skirmish against AI, but there's no campaign to speak of. And skirmish AI is pretty dumb.

It's more or less online only.

When it works...it's BRILLIANT.

Unfortunately it doesn't work all that often. Net code = extremely poor.

If it ever gets patched up and becomes stable it'll be worth getting for most folks.

You can skirmish against AI, but there's no campaign to speak of. And skirmish AI is pretty dumb.

It's more or less online only.

When it works...it's BRILLIANT.

Unfortunately it doesn't work all that often. Net code = extremely poor.

If it ever gets patched up and becomes stable it'll be worth getting for most folks.

Thanks for the information man. I wasn't going to pick up anyway but I was just curious.

Thanks for the information man. I wasn't going to pick up anyway but I was just curious.

I enjoy it when I played it at PAX and was really excited for it but when they announce the price I was really turn off. Long story short, I split the cost with my son, and just tonight able to play. The constant disconnect, lag fest and the fact that when someone get disconnect you just end up with lop-sided contest make the game frustrating.

I ask my son if it's like this often since he has been playing more than I do and he said yeah and pretty much why he stop.

Gaaraz

Are there any characters that can deal lots of damage over a short period? I played lots of LoL with Master Yi but I'm struggling to find a character I like in this

Zeroth

Are there any characters that can deal lots of damage over a short period? I played lots of LoL with Master Yi but I'm struggling to find a character I like in this

Arangathur or something like that is a mage that can kill many enemies with his ult if left for his own devices. But if you need something more solid, you could try building a hero like Aranthorn with lots of attack speed and crit chance, and you will be pretty much a killing machine.

Gaaraz

That sounds good to me, thanks Zeroth :D I played quite a lot of LoL and Yi was about the only character I was any good at - and he did have a very high attack speed and crit chance with the right build. Definitely what I need I think, someone who can devastate and then get the hell out of there.

Try Agandaur. He is the guy who floats around and shoots lightning. His "super" or whatever is a 3 wave blast of lightning that gets more powerful with each wave. He has another ability that "supercharges" his next ability attack, so if you charge that super then unleash it, you kill pretty much anyone in its range. And in one lane battles, that means pretty much anyone around you. Make an ability boosting belt and he's incredible.

By the way, anyone play this game on 360 and PS3? I bought it on PS3 awhile back and it's great.. when it works. Which is not often. It took 2 of my friends and I over 20 minutes just to finally get into a game last night and when we did, it was laggy as hell and 3 people got disconnected. I am wondering if its as shitty online on the 360 as it is on PS3.

Gaaraz

Thanks Bumble, sounds like th perfect character for me :) PS3 here too and only been disconnected once (though only played 4 or 5 games so far!)

spwolf

i have been playing this game since I got it over PS+... and i played a lot despite all the horrible connection issues.

Well it seems that they released patch tonight and all is good so far... played a game on new map, pretty smooth and gameplay better than ever.

anyone else playing on PS3? Get some games going together?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I played a lot of custom games with my brother over the weekend. It was a lot of fun. Going to try out skirmishes. A lot has changed since I last played.
I tried checking out their forums, but it seems the only people playing are people who really know what they're doing and aren't really tolerant of new people so I might not bother with battlegrounds.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I played a lot of custom games with my brother over the weekend. It was a lot of fun. Going to try out skirmishes. A lot has changed since I last played.
I tried checking out their forums, but it seems the only people playing are people who really know what they're doing and aren't really tolerant of new people so I might not bother with battlegrounds.

Yeah, welcome to MOBAs. =/

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Yeah, welcome to MOBAs. =/

Hehe, true. I thought this one might be different because it's not exactly lighting up the charts and people would want to foster a decent community so to not drive people away. Not sure how long it will be economically feasible for Monolith to support this game if the people aren't there.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Huge update came out yesterday with a relic overhaul, new map(free) and new character:

Edit: Looks like MS screwed up and it won't be out until next week on XBox, but it's up on PSN.

-Assault Relics:
Eagle’s Eye Relic changed to at 3 slot (G/R/R) from a 2 slot (Y/R).
Eagle’s Eye Relic increases Basic Penetration to 60.
Eagle’s Eye Relic Increases damage taken to 10%.
Wight’s Touch Relic Changed to a 2 slot (R/P) from 3 slot (R/R/P).
Wight’s Touch Relic cooldown changed to 1 second.
Wight’s Touch Relic Basic Attack penetration lowered to 45.
Morgul-Knife Relic changed to a 2 slot (Y/R) from 3 slot (Y/R/R).
Hornburg Relic increased to +6% damage from +5%
Second Strike Relic changed to a 3 slot (R/P/P) from a 4 slot (R/P/P/R).
Second Strike Relic Basic Attack Damage lowered to 35 from 50.
Second Strike Relic Cooldown increased to 3 seconds from 2 seconds.
Anvil of Isengard Relic Basic attacks deal an extra 3 damage per level to enemies below 50% HP.

-Finesse Relics:
Mearas Haste Relic changed to a 2 slot (P/Y) from 3 slot (P/Y/Y).
Mearas Haste Relic movement lowered to 40 from 50.
Swift Blade Relic Changed to a 3 slot (Y/Y/Y) from 4 slot (P/Y/Y/Y).
Swift Blade Relic provides 5% more Attack Speed for Guardian kills, down from 10%.
Swift Blade Relic provides 1% Attack Speed for soldier kills, down from 2%.
Swift Blade Relic loses 10% Attack Speed on death.
Swift Blade Relic’s max attack speed lowered to 30% from 40%.
Shire Fields Relic changed to a 3 slot (R/Y/Y) from a 4 slot (R/R/Y/Y).
Shire Fields Relic attack speed boost lowered to 2% per level.
Shire Fields Relic damage boost lowered to 10%.

-Hardiness Relics:
Mountain Roots Relic changed to a 4 slot (G/G/Y/G) from 2 slot (G/Y).
Mountain Roots Relic gains 5% Resistances per attack (was 4%) up to 4 stacks (was 5).
Mountain Roots Relic stacks lost after not attacking for 10 seconds, down from 16.
Ent’s Draught Relic provides 4 health regeneration (up from 2); Allied Guardians still gain +2 health regeneration.
Orc Mail Relic changed to a 4 slot (G/G/R/G) from 2 slot (G/R).
Orc Mail Relic max Basic Attack Resistance raised to 18% (up from 10%).
Oliphant Hide Relic Changed to a 4 slot (G/G/G/G) from 2 slot (G/G).
Oliphant Hide Relic provides 20% Basic Attack Resistance (up from 10%).
Iron Hills Relic lowered to 1% Basic Attack and Ability Resistance for each Emerald in your Belt (up from 2%).
Warg Hide Relic Changed to a 2 slot (R/G) from 4 slot (B/G/B/G).
Warg Hide Relic cap lowered to provide 5% Basic Attack Resistance (from 20%).
Osgiliath Shield Relic Changed to a 3 slot (Y/G/G) from 4 slot (Y/G/G/G).
Osgiliath Shield Relic Shield now blocks 10% of max HP (down from 15%).
Beorning’s Strength Relic Changed to a 3 slot (G/G/Y) from 4 (G/G/G/G).
Troll Hide Relic Changed to a 2 slot (B/G) from 4 slot (R/G/R/G).
Troll Hide Relic now gives 5% Ability Resistance (down from 20%).
White Rider’s Relic changed to a 3 slot (G/G/P) from 4 slot (G/G/G/P).
White Rider’s Relic health regain lowered 20% of total Health (from 30%).
White Rider’s Relic Cooldown raised to 60 seconds (up from 45 seconds).
Recovery Relic changed to a 3 slot (P/P/G) from 4 slot (P/G/P/G).
Recovery Relic health regen changed to 4 from 5.
Beacon’s Flame Relic Changed to a 3 slot (Y/Y/G) from 4 slot (Y/Y/Y/G).
Beacon’s Flame Relic health regen max changed to 12 (down from 15).

-Ability Relics:
Penetration Relic changed to a 3 slot (G/B/B) from 2 slot (P/B).
Penetration Relic Ability Penetration increased to 60 (from 45).
Penetration Relic damage taken increased to 10% (from 8%).
Doors of Durin Relic changed to a 2 slot (P/B) from 3 slot (P/B/B).
Doors of Durin Relic Ability Penetration lowered to 50 (from 60).
Westernesse Relic Ability Power per level lowered to 16 (from 17).
Fell Riders Relic gains 10 Ability Power per Enemy kill (up from 6).

-Utility Relics:
Captain’s Relic changed colors to G/G/P (from G/P/P).
Captain’s Relic increased cooldown reduction to 0.8s from 0.5s.
Erebor Axe Relic Changed to a 3 slot (R/R/P) from 4 slot (P/Y/P/Y).
Barrow Fog Relic Changed to a 3 slot (P/Y/Y) from 4 slot (P/Y/R/P).
Barrow Fog Relic now provides you Stealth and 40% Movement Speed for 4 seconds after killing an Enemy Guardian, with a 5 second cooldown.
Morgul Vale Relic changed to a 3 slot (R/P/R) from 4 slot (P/P/R/R).
Morgul Vale Relic stacks up to 20% (down from 25%).
Entwash Relic changed to a 2 slot (B/P) from 4 slot (P/B/B/P).
Entwash Relic Ability cooldown reduction lowered to 4% per Ability cast (down from 5%).
Entwash Relic stacks up to 20% Ability cooldown reduction, 5 stacks total (down from 25% at 5 stacks).
Entwash Relic Bonus is lost after 10 seconds (was 15 seconds).

Commands:
Flash of Light has increased duration of its Slow, Blind, and Silence to 1.7 seconds (was 1.5 seconds).
Flash of Light has had its cooldown lowered to 210 seconds (was 240 seconds).
Group Cleanse Immunity to Controlling Effects increased to 2 seconds (was 1 second).
Summon Defense Damage lowered to 6% (was 7%).
Summon Defense Root time lowered by 25%.

Link

The new character is Unglob, a spider like Shelob. An amazing character. It's the first melee striker I have used. It takes awhile to get used to the idea that I need to run in and beat people up but she's pretty good. She has a pull and an escape.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The new character is Unglob, a spider like Shelob. An amazing character. It's the first melee striker I have used. It takes awhile to get used to the idea that I need to run in and beat people up but she's pretty good. She has a pull and an escape.

That 175% crit seems nasty. What's the tradeoff they made? I've been addicted to ODTray's twitch stream lately and saw him pull some pretty nasty combo's.

Sora_N

I got this downloaded since it was free on PS+ a while ago, I've never been able to connect to a game. Does no one play this? I just wanted to try it out but could never get into any games, at any time.

EDIT: Nevermind, wow finally got into one! I'm gonna give it a go.

Top Bottom