• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

Hey guys, loved the movie. What scene or scenes got the biggest laugh from you? For me it was
Quill's 'dance-off' in front of Ronan. It was absurd but Pratt sold it on every level. I actually couldn't breathe.

number11

Hey guys, loved the movie. What scene or scenes got the biggest laugh from you? For me it was
Quill's 'dance-off' in front of Ronan. It was absurd but Pratt sold it on every level. I actually couldn't breathe.

Yep that and the
blacklight
joke got the biggest laughs at my screening.

Gawge

That, obviously.

Also,
the "throat" scene with Drax (including him taking the guys favourite knife), the Footloose bit, the "I have a plan / 12%" was very funny, got a lot of laughs.
I'm probably forgetting a lot too right now, there was at least 10 times when the whole cinema laughed loudly - and plenty more good laughs.

DodgerSan

Man, this was everything I wanted from a GotG movie. The highest praise I can give it is when it finished I thought "Wow - Ep VII has a lot to live up to". This is how you do a FUN space movie. Humour was pitch perfect, effects were great, story was decent.

And it blows the doors open for the Marvel Cosmic Universe in fine style :)

Ithil

Just got back from it, I thought it was great. Just a funny, wacky space opera, felt very different from any other Marvel movie. Very glad
Nebula survived the film, she had "recurring villain" written all over her
and the whole gang of Guardians is perfect.

Verendus

Banned
Not directed at me, but:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Winter Soldier
3. Avengers
4. Iron Man
I probably rank this as my second favourite Marvel film, just lower than Avengers! Film had lots of laughs and lots of action. Such a big scale to the whole thing. Bring on the sequel!
My ranking..

Captain America 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers = Iron Man

Marvel definitely has a hit on their hands. The same way Iron Man turned A list when the movie came out, I can see the same thing happening with GOTG.
Good, good.

Looks like impressions and reviews in general seem to be strong. I will have to wait a good few weeks before I can watch this unfortunately. I've already booked seats for Winter Solider a while back for about a week from now, and I don't think I can change that to this.

I'm probably going to try though. Doesn't hurt to try.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So I got a chance to see this tonight, but it's in 3D and have to cough up 18 bucks since it's a deluxe theater (but not IMAX).

Is it worth it?

So I got a chance to see this tonight, but it's in 3D and have to cough up 18 bucks since it's a deluxe theater (but not IMAX).

Is it worth it?

That...is REALLY high for Non-IMAX 3D. Where is it at? Can you buy tickets on Fandango? There's that gimmick to get 5$ off your ticket, if you want to try that

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
That...is REALLY high for Non-IMAX 3D. Where is it at? Can you buy tickets on Fandango? There's that gimmick to get 5$ off your ticket, if you want to try that

Yeah, the got fancy reclining cushioned seats and, while still not IMAX, has a bigger screen than usual.

As for Fandango, I haven't seen anything for Vancouver in particular (although that maybe just me being lazy to sift through the awful site layout).

Ithil

Given Thor 2 was a bit phoned in, as was Iron Man 3 (outside of a couple of interesting ideas), Cap 2 and GOTG really turned it around as unique Marvel movies and right up at the top as far as being among the best so far.

James Gunn, you did good. I absolutely loved it. The cast were fantastic, Pratt was such a great Star-Lord and I loved the music and visuals. I wanted to pick up the soundtrack afterwards but none of my local music stores had it.

Only disappointment was the post-credits scene. It was funny but I wanted more!

If we're doing MCU rankings I'd say my top 3 are now:

Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers
Winter Solider / Iron Man

Dalek

7 hours to go for me...I'm trying not to think about it too much-the anticipation is killing me. I seriously haven't been this excited to see a movie since I was a teenager-and I'm 36 now!

I heard there was a reference to Slither, possibly in the Collector's scene. Could someone give that away for me. I will forget to check for it once I'm watching.

Lace

I did get post-credit scene.

re. if there was a mid-credit scene:
If you mean Groot dancing, yes. It's funny, got a lot of laughs. But it is "Guardians of the Galaxy will return" followed by Groot dancing scene, followed by long credits.

re. post-credits:
Nothing special, but you get to see a super cute dog in an astronaut costume again!
Post credits
Howard the Duck made it up to me. What a bizzare decision to include him at the end.

This movie could win best comedy for 2014.

Finaika

Had a really fun time with it. One of the better Marvel movie, up there with Avengers and Iron Man.

4 out of 5 stars.

That's the standard price here too (Edmonton, Canada). $18.50 for AVX (basically high quality regular theatre). IMAX is $20.50

Quick

Banned
Down to 88% on RT. Flarking reviewers.

tumblr_n18a03gNTI1rk2xpdo5_400.gif

I wonder if we will get a pinball machine out of this movie. The Avengers is one of my Favorite pin of the last 5 years. It's unfortunately prone to mechanical issue since it has so much going on; the balls gets stuck too often.

That's the standard price here too (Edmonton, Canada). $18.50 for AVX (basically high quality regular theatre). IMAX is $20.50

Standard ticket is like $12.50-$13.

But almost every movie has 3D, so that's an extra $2-3.

Want reserved seating? Another $2-3.

I rarely see movies so paying $18 for Captain America 2 was worth it. Didn't have to line up an hour beforehand for good seats.

Joeytj

Banned
Just got out. While there are parts (serious parts btw) that I find abit too silly or cheesy for its own good, I did enjoy the movie overall----the casts really made it work. And I don't mind the villains setup at all and it's definitely alot better than the villain in Thor DW.

My ranking; IM1=Cap2>Avengers>GOTG>IM3>Thor>>>everything else.
Fun movie, just don't go in expecting to see those similarly intense moments in TWS and you'll enjoy the movie more.

Really have to disagree with the "intense moments" critique. There definitely very intense personal moments for the main characters, different from the ones we see in TWS, but the audience in my screening reacted very strongly to many moments, more so than with TWS (not the same audience of course, but I watched GotG with a lot of the same friends).

It depends on what you like of course. The movie is objectively good. My dad went to the screening and he isn't that big of a Marvel fan and generally, but had a great time with the film and liked it. TWS left him ambivalent, and I saw the same thing with the rest of the older members of the audience.

anyone who isn't a hopeless Marvel stan (and I say that a huge fan) realistically knew it was going to go down

Yeah it's just like a fun game to see how long it can stay near the top.

Don't even give a shit about reviews - you can tell just from following the production how much love and care was put into this damn movie. And the GAF impressions seem to tell the same story.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Hey guys, I know this is rated PG-13, but how hard a rating is it? My 6 y/o nephew saw a commercial and is begging me to take him to this, lol.

Top Bottom