• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

Anth0ny

Just got back. Loved it. I'm so fucking happy there's a Guardians of the Galaxy movie and it's actually good.

Marvel Studios can do no wrong.

Madrin

Just saw it. There were a lot of slow parts but overall I enjoyed it.

Comic book movies don't really have interesting enough stories to justify spending so much time on exposition, so a lot of the more serious scenes really dragged for me. Rocket was the highlight of the movie and added some great self-referential humor. Also I couldn't stop noticing how realistic Groot looked in some of the scenes. He's a great example of CG done right.

Mariolee

Any comic fan bothered by how weak Drax is?

Spoilers dude.

Just saw it. There were a lot of slow parts but overall I enjoyed it.

Comic book movies don't really have interesting enough stories to justify spending so much time on exposition, so a lot of the more serious scenes really dragged for me. Rocket was the highlight of the movie and added some great self-referential humor. Also I couldn't stop noticing how realistic Groot looked in some of the scenes. He's a great example of CG done right.

My 12 year old sister actually asked if he was a guy in a costume or CGI and legitimately couldn't tell. It's impressive.

Showaddy

Any comic fan bothered by how weak Drax is?

I was bothered when they cut his ties with Thanos. He could have been stronger but if they're seriously escalating with some of the crazier Guardians in the sequel it kinda makes sense that'd this team would be weakened down a bit.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Just got back. I have to admit that when GOTG was first announced, I was skeptical that the film would be a hit, but I have to say that Marvel and James Gunn have succeeded beyond all expectations. There are some pacing problems and it's not as good or as polished as Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but still an awesome film.

Sanjuro

Use a little common sense, a hidden character kept for an after the credits scene is in no way comparable to a character that was revealed in a press release and marketed before the film came out.

I was spoiled in the same manner. No difference, no need for semantics.

It was pretty great though. Best after credits scene in the Marvel films.

Just got back. I have to admit that when GOTG was first announced, I was skeptical that the film would be a hit, but I have to say that Marvel and James Gunn have succeeded beyond all expectations. There are some pacing problems and not as good as Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but still an awesome film.

It came all over Winter Soldiers face. I'm not even sure that makes my top five films for the summer.

Ithil

I was bothered when they cut his ties with Thanos. He could have been stronger but if they're seriously escalating with some of the crazier Guardians in the sequel it kinda makes sense that'd this team would be weakened down a bit.

To be fair
he transfers his hate for Ronan to Thanos at the end of the film

So after watching it, it's pretty clear that the suspicions of the people in this thread were correct:

Marvel basically went into marketing overdrive the second they saw early cuts of this and saw they had a winner. They only really ramped up everything in the very last week leading up to release.

This movie deserves the world.

It came all over Winter Soldiers face. I'm not even sure that makes my top five films for the summer.

I liked Winter Soldier but it didn't blow my balls off. It's a good movie overall but I felt the sub-titular character was really uninteresting with a boring arc that didn't go anywhere. The best things about the movie were the action scenes and the Hydra internet bullshit that was amusing for a bit.

Showaddy

To be fair
he transfers his hate for Ronan to Thanos at the end of the film

He literally catches fire and goes into a berserker rage when he's near Thanos in the comic though, like his entire life's purpose is to kill Thanos because he's been built to do so. That felt like just a nod to the comic rather than anything meaningful.

Anth0ny

You haven't seen Thor 2 or Iron Man 2? :p

I really liked Thor 2. Iron Man 2 is the weakest in the MCU (besides Hulk if that counts) but I still wouldn't call it bad. Far from it.

Marvel Studios is right up my alley when it comes to comic book movies. They just know how to scratch that itch for me. Phase 2 has been spectacular so far. And judging from the Avengers 2 trailer... it's not going to disappoint, either.

Sanjuro

I liked Winter Soldier but it didn't blow my balls off. It's a good movie overall but I felt the sub-titular character was really uninteresting with a boring arc that didn't go anywhere. The best things about the movie were the action scenes and the Hydra internet bullshit that was amusing for a bit.

Winter Soldier excelled at a PG-13 film designed for kids that had much more violent sequences and proved the ratings board is still a joke.

Anth0ny

I loved Guardians but I'd still say Winter Soldier was superior. Only Iron Man 1 and Avengers are superior from MCU.

Guardians really might be 4th on my list, though. Gotta give it some time and watch it again.

Movie was freaking awesome, didn't know much about the comic book or about these characters, but this movie has made me very interested. One of the best Marvel movies for me and may be my favorite.

Gartooth

I was spoiled in the same manner. No difference, no need for semantics.

If you want to try your luck and think you can get away with spoiling the after credits scene here, then you can certainly try. Just don't be surprised when people don't accept your extreme double standard as a valid excuse.

Sanjuro

I loved Guardians but I'd still say Winter Soldier was superior. Only Iron Man 1 and Avengers are superior from MCU.

Guardians really might be 4th on my list, though. Gotta give it some time and watch it again.

Iron Man 1 counts as Marvel Studios?

Eh..

My Marvel Studios list is something like,

TMNT > GotG > Punisher: War Zone > Hercules

Sanjuro

Sanjuro, you are on cocaine if you think it's fair game to spoil any post credit shenannagins right now

I actually did in the other thread. I made a comment along the lines of "Be on the lookout for XXXINSERTMOSTRANDOMMARVELCHARACTERHEREXXX"

...turned out I was right!

Also, this Gartooth guy is a clown. You were hamming up "spoilers" in the other thread.

I actually did in the other thread. I made a comment along the lines of "Be on the lookout for XXXINSERTMOSTRANDOMMARVELCHARACTERHEREXXX"

Yeah, and I was going to PM you about it but then I realized that may fuck it up for you. So I just left it be. Nobody noticed anyway.

So yeah guys don't go fucking reading Sanjuro's post history atm

Sanjuro

Yeah, and I was going to PM you about it but then I realized that may fuck it up for you. So I just left it be. Nobody noticed anyway.

So yeah guys don't go fucking reading Sanjuro's post history atm

Someone else actually PMed me and was like "Dude!!!!"

Obviously they knew. In the end, Thanos and X X X didn't affect my movie going experience.

Gartooth

Yeah, and you got away with it because some posters didn't realize you weren't joking, and I'm sure others like myself didn't want to draw attention to your post.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I just got back from seeing it.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD what a great movie. It was fantastic. I was expecting it to be good but it was better than I hoped. The whole theater was laughing for half of it, and at the end everyone clapped, some even stood up to clap. What a fucking great movie. The theater was packed too.

I can't decide if this is better than Winter Soldier or not. It was certainly more enjoyable, I'll give it that. TWS had such great fight scenes that it might just stand on it's own, it's hard to choose which movie was better. I could watch GotG endlessly I think and like it, it's just pure fun. My gf and I are going to see it again tomorrow night, we both agreed as we watched the credits roll.

DAMN, we have a well done Top Tier GotG movie now. I may just cry with joy.

Someone else actually PMed me and was like "Dude!!!!"

Obviously they knew. In the end, Thanos and X X X didn't affect my movie going experience.

Lucky mofucka. That thread was going lightspeed. If it's going slow, you get buried HHH style

Yeah, and you got away with it because some posters didn't realize you weren't joking, and I'm sure others like myself didn't want to draw attention to your post.

Pretty much. I had a 'oh fuck everyone bail out' post all ready until I realized that would fuck it up for everyone

Sanjuro

Oh, please. It's no different than Thanos in the grand scheme. I'm just not a twat that gets off spoiling things like yourself.

It was a random day. There was a good film released. No idea what the hostility is there for!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Wish that thread about THANOS wasn't on the god damn front page (don't know what genius thought that was a good idea for a thread) but the movie was excellent regardless.

Right up there with Iron Man, The Winter Soldier & The Avengers.

Can't wait to rewatch it.

Sanjuro

Wish that thread about THANOS wasn't on the god damn front page (don't know what genius thought that was a good idea for a thread) but the movie was excellent regardless.

Right up there with Iron Man, The Winter Soldier & The Avengers.

Can't wait to rewatch it.

I really need to re-watch Winter Soldier.

Is everyone seeing this in 3D or 2D? Was the 3D added in post production?

Was added in post and imo, the 3D was merely o.k. (some shots would've benefited from actual 3D cameras - should've nabbed them from Dawn as they were almost entirely wasted by Wyatt). As it's looking like a big hit, hopefully the studio will spring for 3D cameras for the sequel.

On the movie, great characters and cool new universe, 8/10 (already looking forward to the next installment) :).

Gartooth

Oh, please. It's no different than Thanos in the grand scheme. I'm just not a twat that gets off spoiling things like yourself.

It was a random day. There was a good film released. No idea what the hostility is there for!

Hostile? How about you read your own posts. I didn't throw temper tantrums or name call like you are doing to me. I also didn't intentionally spoiler bomb a topic where unassuming posters didn't catch you on it.

Sanjuro

This blu-ray is seriously taking ages to come out - I thought for sure it would be out July 4th!

Yeah. Getting spoiled by the rapid release schedule.

Hostile? How about you read your own posts. I didn't throw temper tantrums or name call like you are doing to me. I also didn't intentionally spoiler bomb a topic where unassuming posters didn't catch you on it.

In the other thread you were gitty with THANOS THANOS THANOS THANOS THANOS!

Calm down.

TEJ

Hey neoxon, THAT WAS GREAT. We should definitely see age of ultron together!

Mini review - star wars 7 has a lot to live up to!

Tobor

Wow, that was phenomenal! Hfutcifytvtvtyiftyuycytctcuycytcuyctyccytuciytcycfyvutyctyvtyuvytvcdrxsrxerxtrctyvugbiunmioiomuiniyvyfcexweze

Gartooth

In the other thread you were gitty with THANOS THANOS THANOS THANOS THANOS!

Calm down.

Leave out personal insults. I'm discussing this with you right now because you decided to take out your frustration about Thanos on that thread, by dropping a completely unrelated spoiler there which you got away with because many didn't know (or want to draw attention to) the spoiler in question. You then openly admit that you intentionally dropped a spoiler there in this thread and decide to see if you can do it again here.

What you think of me I don't care. But dropping spoilers everywhere because of your insane double standard will do nothing but hurt those that you originally tried to defend with regards to Thanos.

Damn this movie was amazing. Easily in my top 3 with Avengers and Winter Soldier, although I couldn't tell you which of the three is my favorite fave. All three are just so damn good for all sorts of different reasons.

Everything about this movie was amazing, and the rest of the theater seemed to really dig it. Will definitely be going to see this again at least one more time in theaters.

This blu-ray is seriously taking ages to come out - I thought for sure it would be out July 4th!

The only thing I can see is if they were waiting until after Guardians of the Galaxy came out before releasing it. I don't know why they would think they need to do that, but it's the only reason for them delaying so long I'd say.

Top Bottom