• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

Voror

Man, that was a lot of fun. Will probably see it again in a few days when I take my sisters. Admittedly, it does adhere to the Marvel formula they've been doing for a while now, but it was still a load of fun. Very curious to see where Gunn goes with a sequel and hope this opens us up the Cosmic side more.

The music was used great in this and I'll probably have those songs in my head for some time. Might need to buy the soundtrack.

But I have to say that the entire movie I just kept thinking about
Quill's grandparents. Their daughter dies and then their grandson runs off and disappears is pretty horrible. And for some reason I don't see them being alive should he ever go back, but I'd honestly like to see him reunite with them if only for a short time.

Was also pretty bummed when Danarian Saal died. I saw it coming, but still it made me pretty sad. No idea why since I'm not familiar with the character, but I felt that way.

Sanjuro

Leave out personal insults. I'm discussing this with you right now because you decided to take out your frustration about Thanos on that thread, by dropping a completely unrelated spoiler there which you got away with because many didn't know (or want to draw attention to) the spoiler in question. You then openly admit that you intentionally dropped a spoiler there in this thread and decide to see if you can do it again here.

What you think of me I don't care. But dropping spoilers everywhere because of your insane double standard will do nothing but hurt those that you originally tried to defend with regards to Thanos.

Yeah...that's a bit of an exaggeration. If you have an issue take it to PM, otherwise I'm not really sure what you're attempted to feed at here.

Wow. Just wow. The film was everything I could have hoped for as a fan of the comics. I could nitpick small differences from the material (
Drax being undepowered, Gamora warming up emotionally so quickly, Nova Corp lacking powers (so far), the Kyln being a normal prison
) but none of those are problems with the film itself. Those are nitpicks a fan can notice. I loved every bit of it. It was as perfect an adaptation as I could have asked for. Gunn has certainly proven his ability as a scifi director.

As to how it fits within my Marvel ranking, I'm inclined to place it at the top. I won't do that just yet, as being barely three hours past seeing the film is a bit early to make such grand comments. But, yeah, it may pass Winter Soldier for me. It's that good.

Can't wait to see it again.

Foggy

With all the talk recently about the creative iron grip of Marvel Studios, it's pretty remarkable what James Gunn was able to pull off. He must know how to really work a room of executives, because some of the jokes he pulled off in a major Marvel release is pretty astonishing. Even with the whole middle finger gag in the trailer, I wasn't anticipating the language and sometimes lewd jokes.

Jackson Pollock, anyone?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So yeah, this was pretty fucking good. So many funny moments and action scenes, it even had some pretty heartwarming and sad moments too.

A friend of mine said that THIS is what a Fantastic Four movie should be like.

Post-credits cameo... that was amazing. Do you think with the proper team, Marvel could do something good with Howard?

J10

Banned
Honestly neither was Whedon. Outside of Hulk, I don't think there was anything memorable in Avengers. But really, this feels like a Marvel Studios problem in general

Nah. This has the weakest action scenes since Cap 1. Avengers was leagues above this in terms of action. And Whedon's voice suits the Avengers better than Gunn's would, I think.

Foggy

Nah. This has the weakest action scenes since Cap 1. Avengers was leagues above this in terms of action. And Whedon's voice suits the Avengers better than Gunn's would, I think.

Different strokes and all that. I thought the action was at par, but nothing past that. I'm not too keen, personally, on Gunn's voice filtered through Avengers but Whedon is too overpowering a voice for my tastes. It felt like it could've been called Whedon's The Avengers which is fantastic for a lot of people, but I'm just not one of them

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
LOVED this movie. It was pretty much everything I was hoping it'd be. The family loved it as well and were quoting it on the way home.

Kud Dukan

This may be my favorite Marvel film yet. Absolutely fantastic from start to finish. Audience loved it as well. I went to a 7pm showing that seemed to have a good mix of people in the crowd, and it got a giant applause at the end.

Can't wait to see it again.

Neoxon

- "We Are Groot"
- Meredith Dying from Cancer

qQ2zX55.jpg

MechDX

Good first 7 minutes. Power kept going on and off so they finally just have everyone passes and vouchers for concessions.

Try again this weekend

This was fun. I'm a grumpy old fart about everything..this made me smile. Thanks, guy who's movies I've never liked..I'll gladly give you one more chance. Enjoy, deli GAFfers!

bronson

Boxoffice Mojo has GOTG at 82 million for the weekend. That seems REALLY high.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3882&p=.htm

Seems like I'm late to it, but I love this part:

An added bonus: international star Vin Diesel has recorded his character Groot's lines (or, one line) in five different languages (Brazilian Portuguese, Latin American Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and French).

And here's a bunch of videos featuring the different language samples:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/07/30/vin-diesel-groot-language/

RE_Player

Can't say I disagree.

I laughed, I cried, I was stunned by the visual effects, and the group had AMAZING chemistry together.
100% agree. This solidified that Marvel Studios can do anything they want. Dr. Strange? Sure. Ant-Man? God bless.

Top Bottom