• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of the sketchy vendors (not on the approved list) will use stolen credit cards to purchase legitimate keys and sell those. When the actual owners of the stolen cards inevitably do a chargeback, whoever has an HoT key associated with that card will have their account suddenly shut down for fraud and I think none of them are ever unbanned despite the owner of the account having no idea what happened. There were a few very loud victims of this around HoT release with people trying to get a deal, and I haven't really heard much about it since then. (I don't think anyone here ran into this, but on Reddit there was a bit of it.) Not trying to scare anyone but... good to be aware I guess.

50$ is extremely steep for what they shipped at release (and MO was arguing with people that it was enough content to warrant the price, yikes) but I bought the $100 copy anyways cause I love this game and I'm a sucker

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
$30-35 is the "I'd consider it" point, but a sale for like $20-25 would probably be a pretty quick impulse buy.

Spyware

Many of the sketchy vendors (not on the approved list) will use stolen credit cards to purchase legitimate keys and sell those. When the actual owners of the stolen cards inevitably do a chargeback, whoever has an HoT key associated with that card will have their account suddenly shut down for fraud and I think none of them are ever unbanned despite the owner of the account having no idea what happened. There were a few very loud victims of this around HoT release with people trying to get a deal, and I haven't really heard much about it since then. (I don't think anyone here ran into this, but on Reddit there was a bit of it.) Not trying to scare anyone but... good to be aware I guess.
People that got locked out for getting their HoT keys disabled got back in as soon as they added a new HoT key. I don't think they actually banned anyone for buying a bad copy of the game, altho getting locked out until you buy the expansion again is sort of a ban (but one you can buy yourself out of).

Dungeons Frequenter Achievement is boss, it's repeatable, plus you can choose 150 Tokens from any dungeon, so I can get me some Arah Tokens,,,Time to make Bifrost, I made Howler but haven't Equipped it yet might sell it to buy Legend Pre..

What I've been noticing with the pug dungeons I'm running is that people are killing more things along the path, instead of just skipping.

There are obviously way more inexperienced players than last time I regularly ran dungeons. Causes some friction but generally it's alright. Harder or more obtuse paths can be frustrating, though.
My server is grouped with Henge of Denravi for World link. I believe that was the server i transferred off of ages ago. spooky.

Retro

What I've been noticing with the pug dungeons I'm running is that people are killing more things along the path, instead of just skipping.

ArenaNet should have taken a page from Super Adventure Box and put a very small number of tokens (1-3) on Veteran mobs to encourage players to kill everything in sight. I mean, the number of tokens you get from completing a path went from 40 to 80, which encourages speed runners; this would have been a good time to encourage players to not just blow past as much as possible and actually play the content.

Of course, I'm just bitching for the sake of bitching, I know GAF Dungeon groups more often than not are done GAF SMASH-style.

My server is grouped with Henge of Denravi for World link. I believe that was the server i transferred off of ages ago. spooky.

SBI got matched up with Crystal Desert. Would have preferred NSP, they were legitimately cool and honorable whenever we fought them during the tournament (which was a year and a half ago, sheesh). At least it's not Yak's Bend.

We've been matched with Crystal Desert. Seem like decent folks, even if they bait super hard and that's super annoying.
Crashed after getting in to EBG. sad times.

There are obviously way more inexperienced players than last time I regularly ran dungeons. Causes some friction but generally it's alright. Harder or more obtuse paths can be frustrating, though.

ArenaNet should have taken a page from Super Adventure Box and put a very small number of tokens (1-3) on Veteran mobs to encourage players to kill everything in sight. I mean, the number of tokens you get from completing a path went from 40 to 80, which encourages speed runners; this would have been a good time to encourage players to not just blow past as much as possible and actually play the content.

I think it may be more that the specializations and breakbars make bosses easier and players a little overpowered, which in turn means kill everything along the way faster instead of skipping and risk dying along the way. It doesn't matter to me, it's fun doing dungeons again, especially the Aetherpath; guaranteed aether/dream weapon drops that are several gold (for now).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They fixed revenant underwater aspect!

so I guess for tempest warhorn offense I just have to stick with Fire and Wind attunement?

Wanderer5

At least it's not Yak's Bend.

Lol, I probably would had jump ship if FA somehow got linked with YB (through that would be fucking hilarious).

Got linked to Borlis Pass. Tonight is going to be interesting, and I probably should plan to get on a bit earlier soon, depending on how the queues are heh.

So uh, the game crashed for me out of nowhere, and now it crashes when I try to enter my password. Tried using the shortcut commands to skip the login screen, but it just crashes back to desktop there. Anyone have this problem before? I tried repairing, it didn't do anything.

Lol, I probably would had jump ship if FA somehow got linked with YB (through that would be fucking hilarious).

Got linked to Borlis Pass. Tonight is going to be interesting, and I probably should plan to get on a bit earlier soon, depending on how the queues are heh.

We're edging you out ;)

Retro

So uh, the game crashed for me out of nowhere, and now it crashes when I try to enter my password. Tried using the shortcut commands to skip the login screen, but it just crashes back to desktop there. Anyone have this problem before? I tried repairing, it didn't do anything.

Someone on reddit mentioned it happened to them and it required a full re-install. Only two threads so it's not wide-spread, try posting on the official forums?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Greetings fancy Guild, tonight is the second night of Passover and I have a family dinner at 6. I have every intention of making it back to lead missions at 9 but if I do not, please feel free to get started without me and I'll join up when I'm home. Thanks! And Happy Passover to any Tyrian Jews out there.

can we get a dungeon party together later for my triumphant return to GW2?

I'd be up for it. I need to learn more paths, honestly.

And yeah, they're easy but I feel like that's fine. They're still fun, and they're not so hard pugs can't beat them, which I think is invaluable.

Ken

Is it a good time to try picking up the game again?

Never bought HoTs but the 80 boost has me wanting to try the game again with a new class.

Is it a good time to try picking up the game again?

Never bought HoTs but the 80 boost has me wanting to try the game again with a new class.

There was just a patch on Tuesday to improve rewards and reduce grind in basically every game mode, which brought a lot of dormant players back. Now's a great time to try again.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's easy, once you know the tricks.

I dunno. Fungus Among Us is harder yet feels more satisfying. Like I said it's because that adventure has sturdier, less shitty platforms unlike SS. Like I wouldn't go "what the fuck why am I slipping" or "why can't I jump over this obviously jumpable foothold".

I dunno. Fungus Among Us is harder yet feels more satisfying. Like I said it's because that adventure has sturdier, less shitty platforms unlike SS. Like I wouldn't go "what the fuck why am I slipping" or "why can't I jump over this obviously jumpable foothold".

As i have stated know the tricks and it's easy, i know exactly what you talking about because the first time i play SS i though it was pathetic design, but once you learn them tricks it's super easy Adventure, with limited sliding BS collision detection..

Vestal

Send me an invite as well. Vestal.7908

Just started playing again. Leveling a Ranger atm and have an 80 Guardian along with a few in betweens hehehe.

Anet support finally got back to me, did a password reset, and now my GW1 is linked to 2 again, and I can log in. Nothing seems missing, but they couldn't tell me why it was unlinked and had a changed password, which is worrying. But for now, at least all is right again. Went through my birthday gifts and added minis to the HoM, ended up at: 39/40 - flawless.

Victrix

*beard*
I'm not sure who's doing recruiting for GAF, but it might be worth doing a big post in general about the recent huge spring patch, the removal/departure of Colin as game lead, MO taking over as director, and some of the major changes and additions to HoT/pvp/wvw since hot launched.

It may have already been covered, but I haven't been reading gaming side lately, and the news about the director shift alone seems newsworthy, particularly alongside the other stuff.

Just a thought, since I was seeing less people online than I expected, given that the changes were enough to pull me and a few friends out of a 2 year torpor.

Retro

It may have already been covered, but I haven't been reading gaming side lately, and the news about the director shift alone seems newsworthy, particularly alongside the other stuff.

People can post whatever they want, of course, but I tend to avoid making posts on Gaming-side unless it's big, positive news. Most Gaming-side GW2 threads turn to garbage really quick because there's a number of people who regularly feel a need to dip into every. single. thread about the game and discuss how awful they think it is. If the news is overwhelmingly positive that tends to make their comments standout as the shitposts they are, but for a big update that fixes what was wrong with the game already, I see that degrading pretty quick.

But like I said, people are free to post whatever they want and if it's news, it's news.

Victrix

*beard*
Yeah I can see that. Unfortunate, given that the changes look more significant from my perspective than many previous patches, but I've been gone a long time, so perhaps I missed other mega patches.

Speaking of changes, have they spoken in any formal capacity about how they're doing future content? Are they moving to a proper expansion pack rollout, or doing persistent LW updates + expacs?

I hated the temporary S1, and I'll just now be trying S2, so I don't have an opinion on its quality yet. I know getting any of my more casual friends to pay money for it will likely be a non starter, which leaves entire chunks of the story in limbo for them, but story creep is an issue for most big mmos (fuck if I could tell you how or why wow is where it is).

We'll be diving into HoT as newbies, which is going to be an interesting experience. The only stuff I've seen from it so far have been the guild halls, which are realllllly nice looking.

So i have done it, changed my mind on Howler, sold it bought everything needed for Bifrost, all i need is Arah tokens to complete Bifrost..

PS:made 500gold extra...

Retro

Yeah I can see that. Unfortunate, given that the changes look more significant from my perspective than many previous patches, but I've been gone a long time, so perhaps I missed other mega patches.

Oh yeah, no bones about it; this might be the most significant update ArenaNet has ever made to Guild Wars 2 because they're trying very hard to wash the taste of the expansion out of our mouths. They know they botched things up badly and they're trying to show that they can fix it.

But then you have guys like this (quotes graciously compiled by Weltall Zero) who feel some twisted sense of responsibility to inform the world they don't like a thing every time that thing is mentioned. I feel like a gaming side thread is just inviting a lot of comments along the lines of "the game is so bad they have to spend months fixing it."

Speaking of changes, have they spoken in any formal capacity about how they're doing future content? Are they moving to a proper expansion pack rollout, or doing persistent LW updates + expacs?

I hated the temporary S1, and I'll just now be trying S2, so I don't have an opinion on its quality yet. I know getting any of my more casual friends to pay money for it will likely be a non starter, which leaves entire chunks of the story in limbo for them, but story creep is an issue for most big mmos (fuck if I could tell you how or why wow is where it is).

Nothing yet, before the expansion released they mentioned they'd be talking about it "Soon™" but... you know how "Soon™" works in game development. Right now, like I said, they're kind of in fix-it mode.

If it were me, I'd never do expansions to begin with, but since they've already started down that path my ideal would be two seasons of Living Story to every one expansion. I would also like to see them make the Living Story free after a certain point. They've said that whenever a new expansion comes out, the previous one will become free to play, so when you buy the next expansion, you'll automatically get the core game and HoT free. They should throw in Season 2 as well.

And yeah, MMO storytelling is pretty awful, which is why I was so hopeful for the Living World. Sadly, it seems like they'll only using them to set up expansions now instead of telling their own stories. That's a shame because the pacing allowed them to have fun little character beats that made the "biconics" much more nuanced and interesting than Destiny's Edge. Not to mention the little bits like the "Party Politics" episode where you spent the whole time at a high society party gathering clues and getting some great character moments with Kasmeer, Anise and Canach (not to mention the world building going on by having regular people at a party sharing their views on stuff like Scarlet's invasion, etc.). Or pretty much all of "Echos of the Past" but especially "Hidden Arcana" with the lore-gasmic Priory Archives and trip to... well, you haven't played it yet so I won't spoil it, but it's amazing.

They straight up said they can't do that in an expansion's story where everything has to be about the immediate threat and building tension. So that means expansions are all about a very narrow focus and the Living World has to basically do all of the heavy lifting when it comes to world and character building. And I can't see it doing that if they're not willing to devote people and resources to it (I believe the Living World team was about 30 people, out of 250+).

Which is a shame, because I really would have loved a whole Living World episode of Taimi wigging out in Rata Novus, gathering info on how to kill Elder Dragons... instead of it being sort of a quick pop-in and kind of a non-explanation that ended curiously fast.

I really hope they get it right the next time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom