• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have more wings than new non-gem armor sets, seems like.

Can I just get more backpacks? it's so dumb that the crafting and guild backpacks are the only ones.

Killed all five bandit leaders, now just to do the bounty which is limited to one a day, today's one doesn't count since it unlocks the track. These events are cute, and I like some of the Bandit leader attack patterns, but the daily limit is also kind of bleh. The amount of Central Mastery you get from finishing all five leaders is also laughable, it barely moves the bar an inch.

MALFRj3.jpg
I think a lot of people complained about these slots messing with their bag arrangement.

Ashodin

Love the simple aesthetics of the new weapons; http://dulfy.net/2016/05/17/gw2-cavalier-weapon-skins-gallery/ no fancy glow.

PAGING RETRO PAGING RETRO

HOLY SHIT THE WEAPONS HAVE THE GUILD LOGO ON IT :O

also a big change

The Black Lion Trading Company has hired an aesthetician who allows players to preview new hairstyles, faces, and other appearance details without needing to own a Total Makeover Kit. In order to confirm any changes, players must have a Total Makeover Kit in their inventory. Aesthetician Kristina can be found in the front room of the Black Lion Vaults in Lion’s Arch.

Very nice

Meh to those, I play a fantasy game in a fantasy world and I hate boring weapons like those, I got the Spectral Shield from the last set, won't be getting any of these dull weapons..

Meh to those, I play a fantasy game in a fantasy world and I hate boring weapons like those, I got the Spectral Shield from the last set, won't be getting any of these dull weapons..

Simplistic is not boring at all! These are quite well designed, neutral in their looks and tone which means they could go well with many types of themes. They also have a good silhouette, where as something like the spectral weapon set has too many thin tiny details that are lost. They are too thin and it ends up looking sloppy.
I mean, let us not kid ourselves here. Katana is still best greatsword in the game, and will always be. I'll be partial to the crazy leaked Bleach-bankai version from years ago!:O

Simplistic is not boring at all! These are quite well designed, neutral in their looks and tone which means they could go well with many types of themes. They also have a good silhouette, where as something like the spectral weapon set has too many thin tiny details that are lost. They are too thin and it ends up looking sloppy.
I mean, let us not kid ourselves here. Katana is still best greatsword in the game, and will always be. I'll be partial to the crazy leaked Bleach-bankai version from years ago!:O

I love my effects, these weapons got no damn effects..

Another subject, RIP Necro, 3 years old and i must put my Asuran to sleep, I can never find armor i like for Asuran, never.. Leaning Towards Norn,

Retro

PAGING RETRO PAGING RETRO

HOLY SHIT THE WEAPONS HAVE THE GUILD LOGO ON IT :O

That's nice. The design is kind of oddly angular, but it's not awful. I may get them just because you get two for the price of one, and they kind of fit my second Rangers' aesthetics. I don't have much gold to speak of and my materials tab is kinda cleaned out from the guild hall, but I think I might have enough tickets left to buy a couple.

I get excited about "boring" weapons because there's already a ton of weapons that have crazy looking particle effects in the game, and most of the ones they've added are of that type. For example, I bought the entire Gallant set, mostly because I was already getting like 80% of the set anyway since it was for my Warrior, but also because it's a nice looking set without a lot of crazy shit going on. Prior to the Gallant set, my favorite skins were the Krytan one; again, fairly plain.

Nothing against the flashy stuff, and I use some of them too depending on the character. It's just that after more than a decade of MMOs trying very hard to emulate World of Warcraft, I'm tired of enormous flashy weapons and ridiculously gaudy disco ball shoulder pads like these;

7fSiwVP.jpg

gwzzGrH.jpg

That first one is actually the Tier 11 raid armor for rogues. The stealth class. The one that's supposed to be hard to see. Bleh...

Trying to get a realistic-looking armor set was actually impossible in WoW up until Cataclysm (when you could use a super-clunky skin-copying system), and they're just now getting a proper wardrobe system (in the next expansion).

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go throw up. Luckily, that last one is basically a toilet (look, it even has water in it).

But... but... asura light armor rocks :O

I really like that first one, good color matching with the weapon skin. I just wish that head skin didn't make you bald (though ironically, the character I'd put them on is bald.

Hey Ash, did you get any PMs for interest in the Sunday RAID? If not, we have 4 people interested thus far based on posts. I know you meant last Sunday but guessing you'd be up for it this one as well? I didn't see anyone post about it in here over the weekend so finished Uncharted instead but now that that's done, back to GW2.

I'm with Nemesis on the Cavalier skins being a snoozefest but you need variety and not everyone likes glow and particle effects. I don't think I have a ticket at the moment anyway ;p

I am sorely tempted to get the Cosmic Mining tool though... I wish I could trade my current infinite mining tool in for it ;p

Ken

need advice.

I logged in and I have an active level 60 quest called A Light in the Darkness. Looking at my quest log I can also activate stuff called Scarlet's War and Living Story S2. I quit before they implemented Living Stories so I have no idea what those are about. Should I be getting all these quests done? I don't own HotS yet so would I need to clear these before getting to HotS content anyways.

also between guardian, necro and warrior which are in a good spot right now to carry on with.

Not everyone at E3 is showing off a new product. Could just be HoT promotion. Perhaps they have some teasers or something for LW/next content patch

Quenk

ArenaNet pops up as a participator www.e3.com < New expansion? or console version of GW2?

Wrong url. Their product category is PC/Windows so definitely not console version. They're likely going to be part of the same PC gaming show PCGamer put on last year (the one Colin was on). Chances are it's just promoting the fact that HoT is out or introducing season 3 for those unfamiliar with the living world concept.

Retro

need advice.

I logged in and I have an active level 60 quest called A Light in the Darkness. Looking at my quest log I can also activate stuff called Scarlet's War and Living Story S2. I quit before they implemented Living Stories so I have no idea what those are about. Should I be getting all these quests done? I don't own HotS yet so would I need to clear these before getting to HotS content anyways.

also between guardian, necro and warrior which are in a good spot right now to carry on with.

A Light in the Darkness is part of your Personal Story (shipped with the game), which is somewhat unique for each character based on the bio questions you answered at creation / choices you made during the story / which order you picked, etc.

Scarlet's War is just a placeholder / cutscene you can watch that describes Season 1 of the Living Story (Jan 2013 to March 2014). Chronologically, it occurs after the Personal Story. The content wasn't meant to be replayed when they made it, and there's no idea if or when ArenaNet will fix that (they've said they want to, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen).

Living Story Season 2 (July 2014-January 2015) is replayable, but has to be purchased (Living Story chapters are free if you log in when they're active, otherwise you have to pay) and serves as the prologue to the Heart of Thorns story line.

Whether you want to do them or not is entirely up to you. I enjoyed them, but I tend to enjoy Lore, and felt the story / characters are worth getting to know. Your millage may vary. There's a few skins that are tied to the story (namely the Carapace / Luminescent Armor skins), but otherwise the only thing you're missing is story; if that's of no interest to you, you're good skipping it. There's no reason you can't ignore the story entirely and just try to figure out what's going on (for example, the first time you set foot into HoT content, you're going to be wondering what the hell happened, but it won't stop you from playing).

All three classes you mentioned are doing fine; ArenaNet doesn't tend to go hard one way or another with "Flavor of the Month" classes like other devs. People tend to gripe about class balance, but compared to some of the MMOs I've played the fact that all 9 are viable is astounding. If you buy HoT, you'll be able to unlock Elite Specializations, of which the Necro (Reaper, which gets greatsword, shouts, and a new death shroud) is my favorite.

Ken

A Light in the Darkness is part of your Personal Story (shipped with the game), which is somewhat unique for each character based on the bio questions you answered at creation / choices you made during the story / which order you picked, etc.

Scarlet's War is just a placeholder / cutscene you can watch that describes Season 1 of the Living Story (Jan 2013 to March 2014). Chronologically, it occurs after the Personal Story. The content wasn't meant to be replayed when they made it, and there's no idea if or when ArenaNet will fix that (they've said they want to, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen).

Living Story Season 2 (July 2014-January 2015) is replayable, but has to be purchased (Living Story chapters are free if you log in when they're active, otherwise you have to pay) and serves as the prologue to the Heart of Thorns story line.

Whether you want to do them or not is entirely up to you. I enjoyed them, but I tend to enjoy Lore, and felt the story / characters are worth getting to know. Your millage may vary. There's a few skins that are tied to the story (namely the Carapace / Luminescent Armor skins), but otherwise the only thing you're missing is story; if that's of no interest to you, you're good skipping it. There's no reason you can't ignore the story entirely and just try to figure out what's going on (for example, the first time you set foot into HoT content, you're going to be wondering what the hell happened, but it won't stop you from playing).

All three classes you mentioned are doing fine; ArenaNet doesn't tend to go hard one way or another with "Flavor of the Month" classes like other devs. People tend to gripe about class balance, but compared to some of the MMOs I've played the fact that all 9 are viable is astounding. If you buy HoT, you'll be able to unlock Elite Specializations, of which the Necro (Reaper, which gets greatsword, shouts, and a new death shroud) is my favorite.

thanks for the reply!

I'll probably look into grabbing HotS next month then.

Wanderer5

Oh man, after like 3-3.5 freaking months, my raid group finally been defeating the Vale Guardian lol. I missed the first kill last week, but we just killed it now, so yay my first raid kill.:p

I love me PS warrior.<3 That was a really great fight, and I will look forward to Gorseval next.

druids are soooooo much fun in PvP. the Sword/Staff build is so odd, though. Longbow just seems way more natural and stronger for taking points than sword.

Spyware

Liked pretty much every new skin except the pistol and shield so I got the whole set. Gave dual swords and a backup warhorn to my cultural Tier 3 armor wearing human warrior. Goes extremely well together due to both having fabric parts. Love the huge guard on the sword too.

Looking forward to the new (glider) wings. Saw that they were met with mostly negativity and I really dislike wing backpacks so I get it. But gliders are my weak point and I love that these new wings are dyable. At this rate I'm gonna end up with a unique glider for every character ;P

I really like that first one, good color matching with the weapon skin. I just wish that head skin didn't make you bald (though ironically, the character I'd put them on is bald.
Thanks! She is bald without it and was planned that way before I started using the headpiece so I don't really mind :D Every hairstyle just made her less cool and much less sinister looking so I quickly decided against hair on her.

Retro

Is my Warrior's gear still useful? I could never figure out the gear progression or even what numbers to reach in this game even back then, and it seems like they added more stuff?

It looks like you're in full exotics (mostly, not sure about the accessories, but I recognize your armor / weapons), so you're good for 99.9% of content in the game. There's two tiers higher; Ascended and Legendary, and both have the exact same stat weight (Legendary weapons can change their stat distribution on the fly, that's all). Since Ascended is only a very minor improvement over exotics (about 8%) and infinitely harder to come by, you're good.

spiritfox

Is my Warrior's gear still useful? I could never figure out the gear progression or even what numbers to reach in this game even back then, and it seems like they added more stuff?

There's nothing you can do that can't be done in exotics, even raiding if you have the correct stat spreads and knowledge.

Edit: oh shit amalgamated gemstones as rewards for the new events!

Oh man, after like 3-3.5 freaking months, my raid group finally been defeating the Vale Guardian lol. I missed the first kill last week, but we just killed it now, so yay my first raid kill.:p

I love me PS warrior.<3 That was a really great fight, and I will look forward to Gorseval next.

Congrats!!

Like the others said your gear is fine if it's exotic. Ascended trinkets are fairly easy to come by and are a significant stat upgrade though, so if you're looking for something to upgrade, do those first.

Ascended weapons are more effort but still a notable stat upgrade. Ascended armor is a pain in the ass and a barely noticable stat upgrade so you don't need to worry about it unless you want to do high fractals.

Can't play PvP zzz

If a GM doesn't get back to me this week I think I might just be done for a while. I've been running out of things to do outside of PvP anyway. Might as well just work through my backlog instead.

I just did the Dragon's Stand Meta for the first time last night and got a Dragon's Stand Hero's Choice chest but am not sure what I should choose. Any advice? As a refresher, this is what it contains:

Ley Line Spark
Bottle of Airship Oil
Pile of Auric Dust
Black Diamond
Pact Commando Crate (contains: 12 machetes and various amounts of airship parts, ley line crystals and lumps of aurillium)

I'm guessing Black Diamonds? Are they only useful for Viper crafting? You get Auric Dust constantly with the AB Meta and Airship Oil isn't bad to get in VB I want to say so thinking it's between Spark and Diamond but maybe the crate because you get more value from the pods?

I also said screw it and grabbed 2800 gems or so to get that sweet cosmic miner and have enough left over to ponder the 6 LS2 missions I don't have unlocked or go all ham and get a bunch of bank tabs which you can never have enough of.

leng jai

Congrats!!

Like the others said your gear is fine if it's exotic. Ascended trinkets are fairly easy to come by and are a significant stat upgrade though, so if you're looking for something to upgrade, do those first.

Ascended weapons are more effort but still a notable stat upgrade. Ascended armor is a pain in the ass and a barely noticable stat upgrade so you don't need to worry about it unless you want to do high fractals.

I notice the extra defense ascended armour gives more than the damage from weapons to be honest. Doesn't really justify how expensive and annoying it is to make obviously though compared to weapons.

I would get the machetes, all the rest are pretty common commodities now.

Black Diamond bad choice, go with Machetes..

Ok, saw posts that were probably old talking about Black Diamond being a pain to get and expensive but must have changed that. Thanks!

On another note, finished Advanced Gliding the other day and it's even greater than expected! I didn't think settling back to normal gliding speed from leaning would recharge the meter :D I figured I would lean until almost out of juice and then land somewhere to recharge but now you can truly keep going so long as you have height :D Now I'm debating what to learn next. I did the next exalted one because I ultimately need the higher levels ones in that line to get the item off of collecting nodes towards the elite specialization weapon collections but then there was a full section I couldn't explore in DS because of poison and I recalled I never got the final HP and POI in TD because of the poison area so decided to switch to that ha I guess map exploration and completion trumps getting that item so I'll shoot for Poison first but I'd really like to be able to open that special chest after the AB Meta when you first drop down. Does it give awesome rewards? Think I need Purity to open it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom