• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're slippery.

ftGHsh7.jpg

I got a fancy staff and a gross mini.

I love the Cultural t2 chest piece kinda looks like it's a true extension of the race, but finding other true extensions to complete the sinister look is hard right now..

Retro

I love the Cultural t2 chest piece kinda looks like it's a true extension of the race, but finding other true extensions to complete the sinister look is hard right now..

Nightmare Court stuff always looks pretty good for a 'sinister' look. I'm pretty sure it works like the Sylvari Cultural stuff, where it tends to pick up your skin tones, so if you want it to look dark, you're gonna have to go with dark skin.

And you'll get the reaper shroud eventually too.

Nightmare Court stuff always looks pretty good for a 'sinister' look. I'm pretty sure it works like the Sylvari Cultural stuff, where it tends to pick up your skin tones, so if you want it to look dark, you're gonna have to go with dark skin.

And you'll get the reaper shroud eventually too.

oh i have reaper shroud even finished Dark Harvest collection, my old Necro had a lot, just didn't like the look, so hard to make Asuran look good, armor choice stink...my Necro would be 4 years old few days after 4th anniversary, when i am interested in playing a class i don't play a lot it's gotta look good and my Asuran was meh... 182 Tomes of Knowledge made it easier for me to delete, and 35% map comp..

Retro

Update:
Bug Fixes:
  • Players will once again be teleported to their team starting locations on match countdown in PvP to prevent players from starting matches from improper locations.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented the installer from working properly.

oh i have reaper shroud even finished Dark Harvest collection, my old Necro had a lot, just didn't like the look, so hard to make Asuran look good, armor choice stink...my Necro would be 4 years old few days after 4th anniversary, when i am interested in playing a class i don't play a lot it's gotta look good and my Asuran was meh... 182 Tomes of Knowledge made it easier for me to delete, and 35% map comp..

I've blown up more than a few characters (in fact, my first character was a Norn Warrior I blew up in the mid 60s), but one that old would be kinda tough, even if the birthday rewards aren't that hot.

Sillution

Do full servers ever open up? I've been trying to join GAF's server and it has said full every time I've been trying to join for the past few days.

Retro

Do full servers ever open up? I've been trying to join GAF's server and it has said full every time I've been trying to join for the past few days.

You might need to try late at night. If all else fails, you can still roll on any server in North America and still play with GAF thanks to megaservers. The only thing you won't be able to do is WvW with GAF, but we don't have an organized team for that anyway.

Sillution

You might need to try late at night. If all else fails, you can still roll on any server in North America and still play with GAF thanks to megaservers. The only thing you won't be able to do is WvW with GAF, but we don't have an organized team for that anyway.

Are you able to join the gaf guild if you arent on the same server?

Retro

Are you able to join the gaf guild if you arent on the same server?

Oh yeah, absolutely. GW2 was made by Networking Wizards and Server Tech Sorcerers, enlisted by the Darkfather of Battle.Net himself, so forget all the usual MMO server restrictions BS. You can be on any server in North America and play with the guild (except for WvW, of course, where they restrict it for gameplay reasons; it's literally three servers fighting each other).

Sillution

Oh yeah, absolutely. GW2 was made by Networking Wizards and Server Tech Sorcerers, enlisted by the Darkfather of Battle.Net himself, so forget all the usual MMO server restrictions BS. You can be on any server in North America and play with the guild (except for WvW, of course, where they restrict it for gameplay reasons; it's literally three servers fighting each other.).

Oh well then I suppose I can start to play instead of waiting it out till the server opens up. Thank you for the info!

Retro

Oh well then I suppose I can start to play instead of waiting it out till the server opens up. Thank you for the info!

No problem. Joking aside, they really are a cut above any other MMO dev out there in terms of server architecture; it's the same reason there's never been queues to log in, even at launch, and why the game has only been down for a total of ~20 hours over the last three and a half years while other games have weekly maintenance for hours at a time. Blood sacrifices.

Post your username (the one that's "name.####" where they assign the last 4 digits) and we'll get you invited straight away.

No problem. Joking aside, they really are a cut above any other MMO dev out there in terms of server architecture; it's the same reason there's never been queues to log in, even at launch, and why the game has only been down for a total of ~20 hours over the last three and a half years while other games have weekly maintenance for hours at a time. Blood sacrifices.

Post your username (the one that's "name.####" where they assign the last 4 digits) and we'll get you invited straight away.

Street Fighter 5 launched 2/16/16, already has more down time than GW2...Anet server tech is great...

Sillution

my username is sillution.7205

How commonly do people get 100% map completion? Bunch in the guild? Is it more like one percent of players?

Just curious because that post above mentioned 35% complete but I don't know if that's saying they did a lot or they didn't do much so it's not a huge loss.

Eventually I'd like to get 100%.

Retro

How commonly do people get 100% map completion? Bunch in the guild? Is it more like one percent of players?

I'd imagine quite a few since it's a requirement for Legendary weapons, at least pre-HoT.

I've done it three times so far, and I have a bunch of characters in the mid 50s-60s. I like playing the game but I tend to bounce from alt to alt depending on what I'm in the mood for. Usually I just pick a zone I haven't completed and off I go.

I'd imagine quite a few since it's a requirement for Legendary weapons, at least pre-HoT.

I've done it three times so far, and I have a bunch of characters in the mid 50s-60s. I like playing the game but I tend to bounce from alt to alt depending on what I'm in the mood for. Usually I just pick a zone I haven't completed and off I go.
Oh, well that would be a good incentive! I didn't realize there was a reason to do so.

And yeah, I suppose it's easy but it's quite time consuming. I'm assuming 100% map completion requires all the heart event things, vistas, and hero points? Or is the overall map completion just uncovering all the map? Because that would certainly be quicker and even easier.

Now that I have a glider I do feel like I'm missing out using it so I'm trying to refrain from doing so in the older content when exploring. I wish there was an option to disable it outside of HoT content. I might be a bit outside the popular opinion on that one, heh.

Retro

Oh, well that would be a good incentive! I didn't realize there was a reason to do so.

And yeah, I suppose it's easy but it's quite time consuming. I'm assuming 100% map completion requires all the heart event things, vistas, and hero points? Or is the overall map completion just uncovering all the map? Because that would certainly be quicker and even easier.

Now that I have a glider I do feel like I'm missing out using it so I'm trying to refrain from doing so in the older content when exploring. I wish there was an option to disable it outside of HoT content. I might be a bit outside the popular opinion on that one, heh.

Map Completion is all Renown Hearts, Points of Interest, Vistas and Waypoints on all the original maps. Dry Top, the Silverwastes, Southsun Cove and HoT zones don't count. Be thankful it doesn't include WvW anymore either, that was a real pain in the ass since you couldn't get Points of Interest from outside the structures, meaning you had to own that position just to get the POI.

How are you missing out by using a glider? There aren't a lot of places where you can get enough height that you're outright passing over content, at least that I've seen. It's more of a fun little movement skill / safety net.

Spyware

It's more of a fun little movement skill / safety net.
Cresc fell to his death when we did Pig Iron Quarry for the cheevo yesterday and I was like "What the whut, how did you manage to DIE by falling?! We have GLIDERS!". He had totally forgotten :D
(and yes even tho it's a JP, gliders work there)

And yeah, I don't see how you can skip stuff by gliding. It's not flying :p

Just curious because that post above mentioned 35% complete but I don't know if that's saying they did a lot or they didn't do much so it's not a huge loss.

Going for 100% is one of the best things I have ever done in a MMO! It's really fun and worthwhile. To me, if there ever was a "you have beat the game" feeling in a MMO, this would be it. It's an experience you can have from soloing, at your own pace, and by many means.
I also recommend you take your other characters through the personal story. Good rewards and some unique skins at the end.

On most of my characters besides my main I have 100% some of the high level zones- Southsun, the 3 orr zones. They all yield some really nice materials:))

Map Completion is all Renown Hearts, Points of Interest, Vistas and Waypoints on all the original maps. Dry Top, the Silverwastes, Southsun Cove and HoT zones don't count. Be thankful it doesn't include WvW anymore either, that was a real pain in the ass since you couldn't get Points of Interest from outside the structures, meaning you had to own that position just to get the POI.

How are you missing out by using a glider? There aren't a lot of places where you can get enough height that you're outright passing over content, at least that I've seen. It's more of a fun little movement skill / safety net.

For stuff like jumping puzzles, specifically, I've seen people skip sections by just gliding. And it's easy to bypass some stuff by gliding over sections when there's enough elevation. There was a really tough jumping puzzle I spent hours on pre-HoT that if I was able to catch myself with a glide when I missed a jump it would have been much simpler but I know I wouldn't feel as satisfied. It's really just a personal thing. It's also why I don't accept teleports when there's a daily mini-dungeon or jumping puzzle.

But I also play MMOs for reasons that aren't as common as I rarely care about the dungeons/raiding aspect and instead go for collecting and exploring. I think Guild Wars 2 has a wonderful world to explore compared to the few others I have time in and I just enjoy the challenge that was built into it.

Edit: I don't mean skip an entire jumping puzzle but it's possible to skip sections for sure. Or even if it's not skipping a large chunk you can make some sections easier/safer.

I don't have any other characters with much time. My Level 80 guardian is my main and I have an engineer around level 25ish that I just didn't enjoy playing all that much at the time. I have considered using my other character slots to check other professions out and see the other stories.

11 Legendary made, 1 HoT, 10 GW2, so i have done some map comp, 6 out of 9 level 80's have 100%..

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Now I just need to farm ectos to be done with this legendary.

What's the fastest way of obtaining globs? Doing HoT meta maps?

Now I just need to farm ectos to be done with this legendary.

What's the fastest way of obtaining globs? Doing HoT meta maps?

AB meta grand chest farming...put a bunch of toons in AB get 5 rares from grand chest for each character, i have 1700 ectos right now from repeating the boring shit over and over lol..

Retro

For stuff like jumping puzzles, specifically, I've seen people skip sections by just gliding. And it's easy to bypass some stuff by gliding over sections when there's enough elevation.

Huh, that might actually be a bug, there's supposed to be a no-fly zone in jumping puzzles to avoid exactly that. But yeah, in some places with dramatic elevation changes you can skip over some areas. I'm kind of casually doing world completion on my ranger lately and so far the worst area for that sort of thing has been Fireheart Rise (the big canyon areas) and Lornar's Pass. Fields of Ruin also has a jump pad near Ebonhawk that lets you glide a ridiculous distance too.

Mostly though, that's just gliding over a heart or two, or circumventing a long hike back up a hill. I might not see it as such an issue since I've played MMOs where full on flight is possible and that was completely game breaking, whereas for me, gliding is kind of only a little. But I get you, and I totally don't begrudge you wanting to avoid using it.

But I also play MMOs for reasons that aren't as common as I rarely care about the dungeons/raiding aspect and instead go for collecting and exploring. I think Guild Wars 2 has a wonderful world to explore compared to the few others I have time in and I just enjoy the challenge that was built into it.

That's not as unusual as you'd think, though sometimes it does feel like the "I just want a world to explore" is a minority of the population (especially if you read any of the community hubs where everything is "loot, stats, loot, build, optimized rotation, loot, loot, raid composition, loot, loot, double loot, gear check, reward structure, loot. I think they did a great job with the launch game giving each zone a kind of indirect story where there's an underlying tone and narrative going on if you just pay attention to what the events are trying to tell you (something I noticed missing in HoT: the Meta event is used to hit you over the head and it's all downhill from there).

For what it's worth, I like the dungeon aspect in so far as they're big, usually underground places to explore that are loaded with a history and lore if you know where to look. At the very least, there's a ton of atmosphere. If that's something you'd be interested in, we can totally get a group going where you can watch the cutscenes, read the dialogue and explore a little. There's actually a lot of hidden stuff in the dungeons if you go off the well-worn "optimized path" and you're not being rushed by your group mates.

Boss Doggie

AB meta grand chest farming...put a bunch of toons in AB get 5 rares from grand chest for each character, i have 1700 ectos right now from repeating the boring shit over and over lol..

but that means I have to relinquish my flax farming!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can see where Wibblewozzer is coming from conceptually and I would probably be in favor of all jumping puzzles having a strict no-fly zone box around them. But personally I also wanted to mention that gliding actually reinvigorated my love for some of the original zones just because of the various new approaches to exploring, the incredible views you can get descending off of mountains, and the change in verticality you're afforded when you don't have to worry about fall damage. Especially Timberline Falls, Lornar's Pass, Harathi Hinterlands (which I use to outright dislike running around) and Fields of Ruin, which got a jump pad outside the Ebonhawke gates just for the sheer joy of it.

Maybe there is a downside in the potential to bypass content, which I just haven't let get to me because I don't use it that way personally, but all things considered it has been one of my favorite additions to the game since launch.

I think the one big difference is this is still my first time seeing a lot of this stuff. I'm more apt to use my glider to float over sections in areas where I have 100% completion versus those I'm going through the first time while trying to find stuff towards the daily. I could definitely see the appeal of gliding if you're going back through zones you've seen plenty of times.

I saw people pop their gliders in the Pig Iron Quarry area (this seemed more for safety) and the other was...I think it was for the daily in Diessa something the other day. It was a jumping puzzle near a waypoint I want to say was called Red Mill? Anyhow, I recall seeing someone glide a bit there to get past a bit of it.

Anyhow, it's all good. I don't mind others that use the glider and I actually like seeing others use it in the older content because it's neat to just see people gliding around through the skies while running about. But I think a box that could be checked to disable gliding for the old content would be cool. I'd be one of three people to ever use it, heh.

Boss Doggie

All right I'll try this AB farming.

This means there's no point in opening the smaller exalted chests right? Just the Grand ones?

All right I'll try this AB farming.

This means there's no point in opening the smaller exalted chests right? Just the Grand ones?

Grand Chest always give a rare, and sometimes exotic, break down rares for the ecto, run it with multi-characters, get into a Squad for character switching, sometimes you end up in a squad with multi-maps, means each character can run grand chest farm each instance if you have the time, sometimes the other maps fail, always get to the map at least 15mins before start of the meta you want to get into a decent map..

I run it with 5 characters, my main and 4 alts..use characters with leaping skills and swiftness so it takes each character about 2 mins/run..

Grand Chest always give a rare, and sometimes exotic, break down rares for the ecto, run it with multi-characters, get into a Squad for character switching, sometimes you end up in a squad with multi-maps, means each character can run grand chest farm each instance if you have the time, sometimes the other maps fail, always get to the map at least 15mins before start of the meta you want to get into a decent map..

I run it with 5 characters, my main and 4 alts..use characters with leaping skills and swiftness so it takes each character about 2 mins/run..

interesting Nemesis. So I need to get a lot of exalted keys for my alts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom