• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
You said just kidding hard capped afterwards. Classic Bon.

More than fair. HoT isn't even close to being a well rounded expansion. It does a few things very well, and utterly fails with a lot of other aspects. I'd say anything from a 5 - 8 is fair depending on what content you usually play.

I gave it 6/10 personally.

Thanks everyone for coming!

glChL6y.png

We'll do an Auric Basin event at some point, keep an eye out for it.

Watched WoodenPotatoes's story review video.

It's odd. I agree with every one of his criticisms, but my overall feel towards it were a lot more positive than his.

I still feel the story is so much improved compared to the base game, and I hope they build on that foundation now.

Vena

Watched WoodenPotatoes's story review video.

It's odd. I agree with every one of his criticisms, but my overall feel towards it were a lot more positive than his.

I still feel the story is so much improved compared to the base game, and I hope they build on that foundation now.

Strange. As someone big on the lore, I really liked the story/expansion but I found that most of the lore (including things he complained about) was hidden out in the world. Maybe its because I am used to GW story being barebones along the beaten path and almost all of the flavor is out in the world.

Also I am expecting a good bit more lore/story is actually lost to the missing raid (including the missing epilogue).

Wanderer5

Finally finished the story. Overall there were good and fun stuff in it and in most ways it better than the original, but I wasn't a fan of how the story was pacing out. It felt like a basis to a good story, touching on most of the key points, but yet the story moved past them with just one mission really, with hardy any impact nor development. Feels disappointing especially after all the buildup really.

And lol end so abrupt, not even a ceremony thing after defeating a FREAKING ELDER DRAGON?!

Anyway whew now that I did story and got scrapper and herald, I got my top priorities done heh.

Anno

If nothing else I feel the writing is much improved. Minor story spoilers in AB
The story step right after returning the egg when you're following Taimi's holodisk things was great. I had a smile on my face basically the whole time.
I also really love that it's out in the open world and not hidden in an instance - more of that please!

Won

Struggling to find motivation to log in ever since I hit Tangled Depths. And now the game decides to crash on me in this zone. I think I'm in video game hell.

Stuart444

So I just did the story mission where
Eir dies ;_; I was like "Nooooo" ;-;.

I will say, my most disliked thing right now is how many Vets there are (especially those freaking dancers/leapers that jump about/disappear a lot) with too much CC making it a chore to explore the new area. Makes it a lot more unfun than the pre-expac areas.

On the bright side, I've just unlocked Auric and I finally got the bouncing mushroom ability now. Training Updraft next. :D

Retro

Thanks for coming out to Sunday Mission Makeups, especially to our volunteers who helped everyone get through and for everyone's patience while trying to sort out the way missions work now.
Being able to open a portal from the guild hall and warp straight to where we need to be? Awesome.
Having an instanced challenge? Awesome.

Having to wait around on the map for the rush to end to get your rewards? Not awesome.
Getting stuck as a wolf at the end of the rush? Not awesome.
No big happy chest at the end of Rush? Not awesome.
Reverting back to regular form but still triggering traps / unable to WP? Decisively not awesome.

Now that I've set the Mission Preference to PVE, hopefully next week's regularly scheduled missions will contain a bounty, rush, puzzle and challenge as usual. Not to worry though; we've unlocked an extra PVP and WvW Mission slot so for folks who were enjoying those, they can still be run (once they sort out the PVP Team shenanigans, another not awesome thing).

Retro

Man Rush has been really screwed up hasn't it?:/

It doesn't seem like they even changed anything with it either so I can't understand why there's suddenly all of these issues. It's very weird.

Having said that, it was good to have people get on and do missions, the last few weeks we haven't been running them and it was nice to have everyone come out and do stuff as a guild.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't seem like they even changed anything with it either so I can't understand why there's suddenly all of these issues. It's very weird.

Having said that, it was good to have people get on and do missions, the last few weeks we haven't been running them and it was nice to have everyone come out and do stuff as a guild.

hey retro is it possible sometime in future we could set up a saturday or sunday triple trouble guild event ? never been able to complete it before (i know its hard and needs organization for sure) plus im sure many new people are missing the achievements for it

We don't have enough people to have a successful triple decapitation. I've discussed the logistics of doing it before with Zeroth, apple, and Levyne, and we'd need other guilds to help us.

IMO it's a poorly design map.. VB, AB, and DS have good designs, even if we ignore the maze, TD events are poor placed around the map, and when a chain ends you actually have to search for a new chain, also some bosses get bugged on the map, which ends the maps quickly because you can't move the next tier..

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Feature added to Gamepad Mode in Xpadder: In Cursor Mode, hit R3 (click right stick) to set a personal waypoint on the map. Download here (no need to update in OT, it's the same link)

Retro

Guild Hall Update:
Unlocked THREE new upgrades tonight; an Ore synthesizer and a Lumber synthesizer, and Lump made some very generous donations to unlock the Guild Arena which is ridiculously fun. These are across the street from the Scribe station and will give you Copper / Green Wood when harvested (when we upgrade them later, they'll allow you to gather from them more and the tier of materials they give will improve).

We're basically at the point where the big upgrades we can do are done; our Aetherium Capacity is up, most of the buildings have been activated, and we have mission slots. The next big updates fall into two categories; stuff we need to increase the guild level to unlock and stuff we need expensive materials to unlock.

The former requires that we upgrade the Guild Hall with less-than-vital features; frivolous stuff that's convenient or neat but doesn't do a while lot. Stuff like a Guild Mini Vendor, Gathering Nodes, Tavern music, etc. Those give a bit of XP so we can meet the level requirements, and fortunately they're not very expensive and we have most of the materials.

For about 4 or 5 of them, though, we're literally just waiting until we have enough Aetherium, but here's a few odds and ends we need for a couple of them;
  • 500 Potatoes (yes, really)
  • 340 Flax Seed (or 17 Empty Kegs)
  • 40 Airship Oil
  • 50 Auric Dust
  • 3 Glass Mugs
  • 250 Seasoned Wood Planks
  • 200 Iron Ore
  • 200 Silver Ore
  • 100 each of the second tier of gems (all ending in "Nugget")
The bigger upgrades that we've got coming up require more expensive materials; Ley-line infused tools, for example, are 6g a pop (but you can craft them yourself, see below). Here's a quick list of stuff you can donate to expedite things in the near future;
  • LOTS of Elder Wood Planks (at least ~3,000 for now)
  • Flax Seeds (or Linseed Oil, or Empty Kegs, if you want to be generous; we need about 250 kegs soon-ish)
  • Coarse Sand (or glass, or glass mugs; we need about 300 mugs)
  • 150 Bottles of Elonian Wine
  • Greater Rune of Holding x 35 (2g each, crafting vendors)
  • Superior Rune of Holding x 12 (10g each, crafting vendors)
  • Bloodstone Brick x 85
  • Piles of Crystalline Dust x 100
  • Ley-Line Infused Tool x 165 (6g on TP). Crafted from;
    • 1 Charged Quartz Crystal,
    • 1 Ley Line Spark,
    • 1 Orichalcum Mining Pick
    • 50 Piles of Bloodstone Dust
Will post more as we get closer, we're in a good spot right now though where we're just waiting on Aetherium to build up (and there's nothing we can really do to speed that up, we just have to wait).

I think the Guild Hall progression system is fair for large guilds, except for Scribe / Furniture Making prices which are hella ridiculous no matter the size of your guild. It shouldn't cost 2 Crystalline Orbs to buy a Basic Chair or a Basic Basket - it's just crappy wood or twigs slabbed together!

Wanderer5

Apparently the max amount of players getting rewards from guild puzzle is 15.

What... the... fuck...

Edit: So NERF just did puzzle with 14 people. Only 3 got the rewards....

Dulfy laid out the weapons and armor stuff from this expansion.

Some good stuff, through bit disappointing there only 4 new armor sets (one of which is heavy only).

Think I check out the heavy guild chest and leggings for my rev when able to get access to them. Guild weapons pretty much won't be access till Guild Hall lv 40 (max?) lol.

2 Armor sets and i only like parts of the one set, The Leystone is FUGLY, and I only like the Helm, Chest, shoulders and hands for Bladed..

Retro

Verdant Brink is the most fun I've had in this game so far.

I should check out those other maps.

Tangled Depths makes VB look like Queensdale. People seem to dislike it because it's confusing, but I've said it before and I'll say it again; I've been waiting for a zone like TD since I started playing MMOs. I won't spoil the surprise because the moment you realize what you're in for is magical.

But it's awesome. F' the Haters =D

Wanderer5

2 Armor sets and i only like parts of the one set, The Leystone is FUGLY, and I only like the Helm, Chest, shoulders and hands for Bladed..

Yeah the leystone set are quite bleh (especially heavy), but I like some pieces of the medium set to use for my ranger. Right now from the new armor sets, I mostly interested in chestpiece and leggings (from leystone and guild) heh.

aw350

Banned
Guys, what the economy in the addon is like? It used to be kind of a mess with most of the money concentrated in just a few places (and them being drops), crafting being by and large unprofitable, etc, but they said they are making big changes to make the economy healthier - did they succeed / not / too early to tell?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really wish I had more time to play this. Bought the xpac at launch and still only level 63. Those new zones look so good.

Morokh

No PVP build for Arena? GW2 outdoing themselves again.
There are custom PvP arenas for that.

Tangled Depths makes VB look like Queensdale. People seem to dislike it because it's confusing, but I've said it before and I'll say it again; I've been waiting for a zone like TD since I started playing MMOs. I won't spoil the surprise because the moment you realize what you're in for is magical.

But it's awesome. F' the Haters =D

I'm with you on that one, past the first WTF moment you get the first time in the map because you're completely lost, when you start getting the lay of the land, it's an amazing map, and it really feels like you've 'mastered' it because you took some time to figure it out.
Favorite map so far (haven't really spent time in Dragon's Stand yet)

Still have to figure how the meta event works in there though xD

Yeah the leystone set are quite bleh (especially heavy), but I like some pieces of the medium set to use for my ranger. Right now from the new armor sets, I mostly interested in chestpiece and leggings (from leystone and guild) heh.

Yeah, the new selection of armors, or lack there of is certainly one of the most disappointing aspects of this expansion so far.
They did okay-ish with weapons, although you can argue that in the past we got more unique skins when they updated champ bags, than in this entire expansion ....

The new armors really aren't that great, bladed is okay, but extremely over the top, ley-line is just fugly, there is just the light version that barely looks okay on a human female, and knowing everything usually fits on a human female it says much .... it really stands there with the CoF light armor in the top of the worst armors in the game.

Guild armor isn't that great either, it's basically ruined by the way they did the chest on every set to display the guild logo, Light armor looks goofy on every race, medium looks like a fancy potato-sack, only Heavy looks decent, save for the chest.

My other issue with most of the new armors (and weapons) is that they really clash with all the previous armors, they are way more shiny and detailed than when you try to pair them with older ones, you either can't dye them properly, or the level of detail just doesn't match.
They really need to either add more FAST, or re-work the old ones to match their new standard in model/textures. (the biggest offenders really are some of the racial armors)
I have the same issue with most of the class specific armor pieces, there is barely anything that matches most of them.

The other thing that bothers me is that every type of new armor basically shares the same shortcomings than the old ones in their armor weight.
Light is robes-only, semi-skimpy chests on females, medium is trench-coat galore, and severly lacks anything nature/druid-themed, heavy is still skirt-land ....
Not to forget the usual clipping on Charr, the completely over-sized shoulder-pieces on pretty much every races ..... well, you get the idea .... xD

Looking back at the datamining, there still are three sets we haven't seen in the game, and I really REALLY hope thosre are NOT the legendary armors ! Not only because they don't really look legendary, but also because I really was looking forward to the medium one :O
Light - Medium - Heavy

We also still haven't seen the three old PvP sets come back to the game, they had an opportunity to bring them back with Reward-Tracks and did not take it, now with Leagues .....

I think I just didn't know how to use the Enchanted Armors during Octavine event because I felt so useless in them. I tried my best to push the flowers away but others kept pulling them to the middle.

I think I'll keep my money during the auction because I didn't find those things fun to use.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Guild Hall Update:
Unlocked THREE new upgrades tonight; an Ore synthesizer and a Lumber synthesizer, and Lump made some very generous donations to unlock the Guild Arena which is ridiculously fun. These are across the street from the Scribe station and will give you Copper / Green Wood when harvested (when we upgrade them later, they'll allow you to gather from them more and the tier of materials they give will improve).

We're basically at the point where the big upgrades we can do are done; our Aetherium Capacity is up, most of the buildings have been activated, and we have mission slots. The next big updates fall into two categories; stuff we need to increase the guild level to unlock and stuff we need expensive materials to unlock.

The former requires that we upgrade the Guild Hall with less-than-vital features; frivolous stuff that's convenient or neat but doesn't do a while lot. Stuff like a Guild Mini Vendor, Gathering Nodes, Tavern music, etc. Those give a bit of XP so we can meet the level requirements, and fortunately they're not very expensive and we have most of the materials.

For about 4 or 5 of them, though, we're literally just waiting until we have enough Aetherium, but here's a few odds and ends we need for a couple of them;
  • 500 Potatoes (yes, really)
  • 340 Flax Seed (or 17 Empty Kegs)
  • 40 Airship Oil
  • 50 Auric Dust
  • 3 Glass Mugs
  • 250 Seasoned Wood Planks
  • 200 Iron Ore
  • 200 Silver Ore
  • 100 each of the second tier of gems (all ending in "Nugget")
The bigger upgrades that we've got coming up require more expensive materials; Ley-line infused tools, for example, are 6g a pop (but you can craft them yourself, see below). Here's a quick list of stuff you can donate to expedite things in the near future;
  • LOTS of Elder Wood Planks (at least ~3,000 for now)
  • Flax Seeds (or Linseed Oil, or Empty Kegs, if you want to be generous; we need about 250 kegs soon-ish)
  • Coarse Sand (or glass, or glass mugs; we need about 300 mugs)
  • 150 Bottles of Elonian Wine
  • Greater Rune of Holding x 35 (2g each, crafting vendors)
  • Superior Rune of Holding x 12 (10g each, crafting vendors)
  • Bloodstone Brick x 85
  • Piles of Crystalline Dust x 100
  • Ley-Line Infused Tool x 165 (6g on TP). Crafted from;
    • 1 Charged Quartz Crystal,
    • 1 Ley Line Spark,
    • 1 Orichalcum Mining Pick
    • 50 Piles of Bloodstone Dust
Will post more as we get closer, we're in a good spot right now though where we're just waiting on Aetherium to build up (and there's nothing we can really do to speed that up, we just have to wait).

donated a few things i didnt have any use for :D ( 500 Potatos lol and other stuff)

I think I just didn't know how to use the Enchanted Armors during Octavine event because I felt so useless in them. I tried my best to push the flowers away but others kept pulling them to the middle.

I think I'll keep my money during the auction because I didn't find those things fun to use.

If you wait until the challenges are over (there are different kinds, an auction, a race, and two more), then unclaimed armours just sit outside the city gates, and you can grab one free.

Armours have very specific tasks, which are easy if the armours split them up amoung themselves.

1. Use the 1 skill to push the flowerblooms out of the way of the bomb pushers/movers. The flowerblooms (I forget their proper name) don't do any damage until they actually die, when they do they pulse out a huge wave of CC that can stun the armours for a bit. Players need to resist dps'ing the flowers, because that makes them pop sooner, and risks armours and players getting caught in the blast.

2. Use the 4 skill to break the armourheads (big rolling things) stun bar and keep them down for a bit. If an armourhead moves, hit it with 4.

3. Use the 5 skill to heal *and revive* people, especially right before the burn phase when the shield to Octovine's pulsing balls (giggidy) is down.

4. If there is time, use 3 skill to pull the frog floppers and snipers to you, hitting them with skill 1 and 2 a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom