• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Power level'd a guardian to 80 today. Crafting + Tomes.

PrlAfuF.jpg

Ready to explore the Jungle. :D

Fishious

Just wanted to say thanks to all the gaffers I raided with. We got our faces smashed in every single time, but we made a bit of progress every time so the experience wasn't utterly soul crushing. I'm looking forward to seeing which gaffers get the first kill. That's a much more interesting and prestigious accomplishment than a normal "world first".

Oh man, the raid is so good so far. I had a blast with everyone, and we got so close (2 minutes left, less than 33% health). I can't wait to beat it. Thanks to everyone who was in the squad (too many names to remember).

I do have some concerns over the design of the first boss, not a fan of the RNG placement of the lightning, and the way you can get screwed if there is a phase change right as a lightning hits. Also, teleports appearing right in the lightning just before it hits, teleporting the whole team out and insta-wipe, not cool bro.

But overall, in terms of raid boss design, it's pretty much a solid B- for me, which is great.

Apparently those DnT social media accounts are guild-wide so the actual gw2 players didn't make the offending posts. I don't know how accurate that is though.

YIpfUuz.png

Serves them right. Apparently they got up to the same shenanigans in WoW.

Fishious

Mind sharing some raid tips? The GAF group I was in only hit 50% with ~30 seconds remaining at our best (not to disparage anyone's efforts cuz we were awesome). I think we were a little damage light, but I want to make sure there wasn't something wrong with our fundamental strategy. I think what we ultimately settled on was me kiting the boss while healing people, some melee chasing him, and ranged focusing on attacking while getting in the circles. We got hosed on the next phase, but there wouldn't have been enough time even if we didn't so I want to focus on phase 1 for now.

cyress8

Banned
I see everyone is doing the raids. I'm stuck catching up on my workload since jury duty screwed me over last week.
What will be the normal raiding days and if you can use a guy that has been a main tank raiding in WoW and EQ2?

My video card may be dying or gw2 just likes giving me BSoDs.

I get red and black vertical lines as my screen after a few minutes in game and then everything freezes and computer restarts. First time it happens AMD tool said the video driver failed and restarted, second time nothing from AMD tool, just straight to BSoD.

:-(

Trying to get back ingame but now it's taking forever for Windows to start up...hope SSD isn't shitting the bed as well.

Sorry to the raid team that was forming, I'm going to to try to come back in but you guys go ahead if you already have 10.

Fishious

I see everyone is doing the raids. I'm stuck catching up on my workload since jury duty screwed me over last week.
What will be the normal raiding days and if you can use a guy that has been a main tank raiding in WoW and EQ2?

It seems the answer to raids is: "whenever"

If you're interested look for a group in guild chat or try and start one yourself.

As for tanking, I'm not sure. The first boss has a mechanic where he targets the player with the most toughness. We don't know if all bosses are tankable or what the criteria are. Still, I'm sure you'll find a group and once we know more we can have a better idea of what roles will be needed.

I get red and black vertical lines as my screen after a few minutes in game and then everything freezes and computer restarts. First time it happens AMD tool said the video driver failed and restarted, second time nothing from AMD tool, just straight to BSoD.

Trying to get back ingame but now it's taking forever for Windows to start up...hope SSD isn't shitting the bed as well.

Sorry to the raid team that was forming, I'm going to to try to come back in but you guys go ahead if you already have 10.

I've had troubles like that with my NVidia card, limited to cutscenes and character creation.

First thing I would try is to switch your video cable to the CPU integrated graphics one on the motherboard's I/O. That will confirm if the problem is your discrete GPU.

I would also reset any overclocks you have back to stock. I doubt your SSD is giving you problems, that's less likely.

IIRC, you have a 7950, right? You can try RMAing it. If all else fails you can get the newer and better R9 380 for <$199 USD.

Wanderer5

So looks like each boss has like two special weapon (a backpiece in Sabetha' case)? Judging from the datamine and these pics of the raid vendor, I see the dagger and the greatsword (that looks pretty sweet) for Vale guardian, shield and staff for Gorseval, and rifle and backpiece for Sabetha.

nikos

I haven't played GW2 since it was released and I'm thinking about hopping back on. What's the best way to go about doing so? Should I pick up the expansion now, or will I only benefit from it at higher level?

Alex

I haven't played GW2 since it was released and I'm thinking about hopping back on. What's the best way to go about doing so? Should I pick up the expansion now, or will I only benefit from it at higher level?

You can only make the new class with the expansion but outside of that you can wait.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
All right I give it a month then.

And joke while you like guys, but the charr pose is actually the most feasible pose when gliding (their hands are near the glider wings for control).

First thing I would try is to switch your video cable to the CPU integrated graphics one on the motherboard's I/O. That will confirm if the problem is your discrete GPU.

I would also reset any overclocks you have back to stock. I doubt your SSD is giving you problems, that's less likely.

IIRC, you have a 7950, right? You can try RMAing it. If all else fails you can get the newer and better R9 380 for <$199 USD.

I don't know what it was but after the 3rd BSoD, PC restarted and I launched with 32 bit client and was able to play the raid got about an hour with no issue.

Anyone having crashing bugs using the 64-bit client?

Haven't played in a couple days. Been entrenched in Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition.

Come back and raids are out and World First drama has already begun.

Love it.

Hope raids are fun! Can't wait to try them sometime!

I don't know what it was but after the 3rd BSoD, PC restarted and I launched with 32 bit client and was able to play the raid got about an hour with no issue.

I've had crashes with the 64-bit client. Mostly only happened during certain Story Missions, or on starting them up. Might be the same thing with the 64-bit client and raids.

So, for the people who tried out the raids so far, does it look like it'll be possible with Exotics + Ascended weapons/accessories?

I ask because I really have no desire to grind out Ascended armor but I would love to give raids a shot.

is it safe to do raids with pubs or should I wait a few more

The thing about raids is, you gotta learn the fights.

If you don't know the fights, and join a pug that doesn't know the fights, it can take up to four hours to learn the fights depending on how the players are, and how easily they get discouraged. These fights require people to pay attention in ways the GW2 community isn't used to. This isn't just like Taco or something, these fights are *way* more complex.

Not to say they're complex complex, they're actually pretty simple once you know what's up. But you gotta want to learn the fight.

Mind sharing some raid tips?.

This first boss is multi-phase, and it gets increasingly complex as the phases progress.

There are there mini-bosses leading up to the main fight, that act as a tutorial.

Red Guy: Can only be damaged by condition damage ticks.

Blue Guy: Can only be damaged once his boon has been stripped. (Or is that green guy, I can't remember.

Green Guy: Just damage it down.

Then once you hit the main area, you fight Main Guy. Main Guy will lock on to who ever has the highest toughness, and then several things happen:

PHASE 1 -

1. Green circles will appear in the quadrant where the boss is, and at least four people need to go stand in it or the raid will wipe once the green circle fills up. (You're 'grounding' a lightning strike).

2. The boss will throw out teleport rifts that will teleport you randomly around the ring, try to avoid those.

3. Seekers (that I think move towards whoever damages them first) will mull around, need to be avoided or pushed back.

Even before you start Phase 1, you need to split into three teams. We had a three, four, three setup. The reason for this is once the boss hits 66% health, Phase 2 starts and he splits into three coloured versions. That's right, the colours match the mini-bosses.

PHASE 2 -

One team goes to Green, one goes to Red, one goes to Blue. Blue sector will still get Lighting Strikes that need to be grounded, I think. Right after the boss splits, players get a buff that locks them to a colour based on where they were standing when the boss finishes splitting, and can only damage the boss of that colour. (or will die if they're standing in a wrong colour zone, I forget).

During Phase 2, each team needs to burn their boss down using the correct colour mechanics, and then break their breakbar at the end. Once all three have been broken, on to Phase 3.

PHASE 3 -

Lure the boss to Red Zone ideally, because now the arena will cycle through its zones, making each one a kill zone in turn. I think Green starts first, so you lure the boss to Red, damage him.

During this phase, the Lighting Strikes continue, and the boss will occasionally need to be Broken to stop him from spewing lighting balls everywhere. Seekers will continue to spawn.

The Lighting Strike that needs to be grounded, will always spawn in the sector the boss is in, which is why whoever is the Lure (highest Toughness) will need to keep moving the boss around to avoid the teams being stuck in a kill zone (the floor will start to glow when it's bad to be there). It's tricky, managing the Break Bar, the boss movement, the lighting strikes, etc. After a while the boss will split (at 33% HP I think, and you go to Phase 4.

Phase 4 is just like Phase 2.

Phase 5 is where things get REALLY crazy, as now TWO sectors will go bad at a time. I forget the pattern cycle for it.

NOTE

The entire fight has an enrage timer, so your DPS does matter. Once the enrage timer runs out (I think it's 7 minutes?), everyone dies (the boss does 4x damage or something). So you need to optimize to get through each phase quickly, the various teams for Red, Green and Blue need to adjust their builds to burn their respective bosses down ASAP.

Hope that helps!

So, for the people who tried out the raids so far, does it look like it'll be possible with Exotics + Ascended weapons/accessories?

I ask because I really have no desire to grind out Ascended armor but I would love to give raids a shot.

The first boss can be done with Exotics, I feel. Knowing the fight is more important than pure damage. But damage is important too.

Since switching to the 64 client, all crashes have ceased for me completely. All stuttering, lockups, crashes, BSODs, CTDs and etc. So to me, it's been a miracle client. I hope they sort out the issues for you though.

Quenk

The entire fight has an enrage timer, so your DPS does matter. Once the enrage timer runs out (I think it's 7 minutes?), everyone dies (the boss does 4x damage or something). So you need to optimize to get through each phase quickly, the various teams for Red, Green and Blue need to adjust their builds to burn their respective bosses down ASAP.

It's 8 minutes. I think I saw that Enraged buff increases his damage by 200%. I'm not sure if it does anything else.

You could probably finish with exotics if you had something resembling a meta raid comp (no play-whatever-you-feel-like builds... at least a few condi builds, some boon strips, a tank and healer, etc) and rotated perfectly and made very few mistakes. There are groups with meta-ish comps (as meta as you can get on day #1 anyways) and all ascended gear and all that and they're finishing with a minute and a half left.

Raids require people to adjust their builds for the raid, and the squad they're in depending on what their squad is tasked with. That's going to be the first hurdle for a lot of people, who are used to running the same builds and skills 24/7.

Build Templates, Arenanet. Now would be a dang good time for them.

just finished the story last night, that
abrupt ending was pretty lol what. No discussion on what just happened was pretty funny. Gotta keep the guessing for living story I guess

The final boss fight was actually very fun and better than like 99% of the other gw bosses which is saying a lot. Thankfully didnt have any glitches or w/e. Did a bit of the raid last night. Interesting stuff, but I do find it funny that they put a timer on the last boss, but I guess its equivalent to those world bosses people did.

Also where is the guild hall stuff and how do I get guild armor

Quenk

just finished the story last night, that
abrupt ending was pretty lol what. No discussion on what just happened was pretty funny. Gotta keep the guessing for living story I guess

The final boss fight was actually very fun and better than like 99% of the other gw bosses which is saying a lot. Thankfully didnt have any glitches or w/e. Did a bit of the raid last night. Interesting stuff, but I do find it funny that they put a timer on the last boss, but I guess its equivalent to those world bosses people did.

Also where is the guild hall stuff and how do I get guild armor

In the Guild panel (default keybind: G) there's a button to directly go to the guild hall. Guild armor is purchased from an NPC there

@Miktar, nice write up for the first boss. I look forward to trying that out with the guild. Hopefully tonight but more likely this weekend.

Also I had zero crashes before 64bit client, even in big map events, I never had issues. Even when 64-bit came out still everything ran smooth. Yesterday after the update as I was adding people to the squad, I kept getting crashes, after 3rd crash I launched the 32-bit client and was able to be in the raid for almost 2 hours without any crashes.

Cathcart

Raid sounds cool. I wasted my night doing stupid pvp because I need 200 stupid Memories of Battle to make the first part of a precursor for a legendary I'll probably never finish. So, uh, I guess I'm an idiot.

Serioulsy, 200 of these things? I've been playing a few games a night to try and get the PvP dailies and so far I have...8.

Fuuuuuuuuuu

Raid sounds cool. I wasted my night doing stupid pvp because I need 200 stupid Memories of Battle to make the first part of a precursor for a legendary I'll probably never finish. So, uh, I guess I'm an idiot.

Serioulsy, 200 of these things? I've been playing a few games a night to try and get the PvP dailies and so far I have...8.

Fuuuuuuuuuu

Um. You get a LOT more World Experience, and thus, Memory of Battle, if you do WvW, not PvP....

Memories of Battle come from World Experience rank up chests, which come fast, especially with some WvW boosters.

Elfstruck

Fuuuuuuuuuu

Yeh do EotM...I got like 100 in 2 days.

denshuu

Power level'd a guardian to 80 today. Crafting + Tomes.

Ready to explore the Jungle. :D

How many levels did you get from crafting, by the way? Back when I played it would get you from like 10 all the way up to 80 by itself, but I'm hearing that the exp gain is way lower now?

Cathcart

Um. You get a LOT more World Experience, and thus, Memory of Battle, if you do WvW, not PvP....

Memories of Battle come from World Experience rank up chests, which come fast, especially with some WvW boosters.
Ok, maybe I got the name wrong. You need 200 each of Memories of Battle and uh, the other one. One comes from WvW level up chests and the other comes from PvP reward tracks and dailies.

explodet

Ok, maybe I got the name wrong. You need 200 each of Memories of Battle and uh, the other one. One comes from WvW level up chests and the other comes from PvP reward tracks and dailies.
The Shards of Glory?
Those purple things I've been getting in PvP dailies? I wondered what those were for.

I really have no interest in raids, getting back into fractals and realizing it so much better than the previous set up, 1 fractal/scale is awesome..

Proven

The Shards of Glory?
Those purple things I've been getting in PvP dailies? I wondered what those were for.

Shards of Glory are selling pretty well now that the crafting requirements are out. You can buy them and the Memories of Battle off the trading post. It's another revenue stream for PvP and WvW primary players.

If you fill a reward track I think you get 50 Shards of Glory; I need to check the exact numbers later. You're supposed to use your PvP potions from the dailies to expedite the process; if you complete 3 PvP dailies a day and no more, the potions should help you finish a track in 7-8 days. After this weekend I'll have the majority of materials in for the Guild PvP reward enhancement, that should help of so very slightly much. Unless it's for rank enhancement instead.

Cathcart

If you fill a reward track I think you get 50 Shards of Glory; I need to check the exact numbers later. You're supposed to use your PvP potions from the dailies to expedite the process; if you complete 3 PvP dailies a day and no more, the potions should help you finish a track in 7-8 days. After this weekend I'll have the majority of materials in for the Guild PvP reward enhancement, that should help of so very slightly much. Unless it's for rank enhancement instead.
Yeah, I've been doing the dailies but a few times had trouble with the class win. Yesterday I gave up on it after the fourth crushing defeat. But good to know there's a lump sum at the end of the track, thanks. Maybe I'll slog through the rest of my current track.

Proven

Yeah, I've been doing the dailies but a few times had trouble with the class win. Yesterday I gave up on it after the fourth crushing defeat. But good to know there's a lump sum at the end of the track, thanks. Maybe I'll slog through the rest of my current track.
Bad news, it's not a lump sum. I double checked as to why I had so much, and it's simply because you get so many of them from little sources. Your dailies, every other reward track loot box, more from the bigger loot boxes, and even some from your rank up chests. I had about last night even though I spent the first two weeks of Heart of Thorns only doing the Halloween reward track for money and a pail, and then playing on and off since.

So, sadly, it's just speculation. But it does look like you can consistently finish a reward track and get about 50 Shards per week with an average of 3 matches a day.

Dead

well not really...yet
How many levels did you get from crafting, by the way? Back when I played it would get you from like 10 all the way up to 80 by itself, but I'm hearing that the exp gain is way lower now?
It's definitely way lower than before.

I got about 25 levels, got Armorsmith to ~450, and assorted other crafts to ~150 or so. This was in about 2 hours. For the rest I tome'd up.

Cathcart

Oh well. Thanks for checking. I've got some other stuff to work on but I wanted to get started on the second precursor phase. I guess I'll give it a week and see how it goes before I decide if I want to just buy my way out.

GuySloth

Neo Member
Hi, I'm a fresh 80 Thief on Stormbluff Isle. I don't really know the ins and outs of this class for both PvE and PvP as I've 100% solo'd the content thus far but I'm really enjoying myself and have started a Guardian alt. GuySloth.5682 - I hope I get to play with some of you soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom