• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech-Wolf

Commanders will be Levyne (East), Appletoasty (South), and I still need two volunteers to lead North and West. Note that this event will be to do the Pylon activation events before the breach as well as other related events (the colossal mordrem, Vinetooth Prime, etc.)

I can help and lead North or West, although I prefer to do north

Retro

Hi, I'm a fresh 80 Thief on Stormbluff Isle. I don't really know the ins and outs of this class for both PvE and PvP as I've 100% solo'd the content thus far but I'm really enjoying myself and have started a Guardian alt. GuySloth.5682 - I hope I get to play with some of you soon!

Nobody mentioned it, but you were invited earlier today. Welcome!

KQ9HIqF.jpg

New emblems!

walkrue

Neo Member
hi, i'm trying this game now using free account, if I want to join a guild do I need in the same server with the guild or I can just join any guild from any server? thanks!

Retro

hi, i'm trying this game now using free account, if I want to join a guild do I need in the same server with the guild or I can just join any guild from any server? thanks!

The way servers work in GW2 is significantly different from how other MMOs you may have played handle it. Your characters can play with anyone at any time, regardless of server, as long as they're in the same region (i.e. North American players cannot play with people on the European data center). Your choice of server really only affects what team you play on for the World vs. World game mode (where three servers fight each other for control of foir huge maps), otherwise you can play with anyone and join any guild regardless of what server you pick. You can also belong to up to 5 guilds at a time, for what it's worth (that's not really important, but I thought I'd mention it).

Having said all of that, GAF originally organized on Stormbluff Isle (NA); if you're not really concerned about which server you're on, you might as well make it that one.

walkrue

Neo Member
The way servers work in GW2 is significantly different from how other MMOs you may have played handle it. Your characters can play with anyone at any time, regardless of server, as long as they're in the same region (i.e. North American players cannot play with people on the European data center). Your choice of server really only affects what team you play on for the World vs. World game mode (where three servers fight each other for control of foir huge maps), otherwise you can play with anyone and join any guild regardless of what server you pick. You can also belong to up to 5 guilds at a time, for what it's worth (that's not really important, but I thought I'd mention it).

Having said all of that, GAF originally organized on Stormbluff Isle (NA); if you're not really concerned about which server you're on, you might as well make it that one.

then can I join the guild walkrue.8279 I think I'm choosing the NA server

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Can you feel it in your heart? Right on the main valve closest to your left lung. It's the vibrations of my future minstrel pounding inside you. Let my music note particle effects wash over you euphorically.

Groove with me. Just need world completion and a tiny bit more gold and we can rock it.

Proven

It took me nearly 200 gold... but I did it. 80 Bowls of Black Pepper Cactus Salad. Ready to be queued up and also bump us up another level.

Next time there's a really expensive material due to scarcity in the mix, I'm going to beg for donations. Of the material, not gold.

Next step is to finish HoT storyline so I can reliably donate something other than kegs and PvP Potions.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
It took me nearly 200 gold... but I did it. 80 Bowls of Black Pepper Cactus Salad. Ready to be queued up and also bump us up another level.

Next time there's a really expensive material due to scarcity in the mix, I'm going to beg for donations. Of the material, not gold.

Next step is to finish HoT storyline so I can reliably donate something other than kegs and PvP Potions.
Mate you are doing Gods work. Thank you.

What level will we be soon? I want that 28 so bad

Fishious

IS there a gaf guild for eu? Gandara? Or is it realm-indifferent? Can I join?

Huh, none of the usual suspects have responded yet. Guess I'll pretend to be Retro for a minute.

No there isn't. Around launch there was an EU offshoot that was created without collaboration from the NA side, but it imploded after a month or two stranding some players on the EU datacenter. EU players are welcome to play with GAF on any NA server, or GAF's home server SBI. With the way megaservers work, as long as you are on any NA server you will be able to play with GAF. There several EU players in the guild who report decent ping so it is a viable option. Additionally I believe there is a transfer fund you can apply for (assuming you're already on an EU server) if you can't cover the cost of the transfer yourself.

nan0

You can still chat with us even if you're on EU I think.

Yep.

I transferred from a EU Server to US. It's only 5 bucks, and the ping is most of the time no issue (~160, but you won't notice it). There were some spikes around HoT launch, but I haven't had them since 2 or 3 weeks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Also a bonus pic of my cat gliding upside down.

CT6DAj8WsAEwX2G.jpg
your cat beats gravity!
Huh, none of the usual suspects have responded yet. Guess I'll pretend to be Retro for a minute.

No there isn't. Around launch there was an EU offshoot that was created without collaboration from the NA side, but it imploded after a month or two stranding some players on the EU datacenter. EU players are welcome to play with GAF on any NA server, or GAF's home server SBI. With the way megaservers work, as long as you are on any NA server you will be able to play with GAF. There several EU players in the guild who report decent ping so it is a viable option. Additionally I believe there is a transfer fund you can apply for (assuming you're already on an EU server) if you can't cover the cost of the transfer yourself.
Yeah wow, well done.
So, for the people who tried out the raids so far, does it look like it'll be possible with Exotics + Ascended weapons/accessories?

I ask because I really have no desire to grind out Ascended armor but I would love to give raids a shot.
I'm in the same position. I don't want to drag any groups down during the introductory phase where optimal strategies are being worked out but hopefully in a bit some groups will be willing to take on a weakling like me if they have a solid strategy in place already.

I don't want to drag any groups down during the introductory phase where optimal strategies are being worked out but hopefully in a bit some groups will be willing to take on a weakling like me if they have a solid strategy in place already.
I'm kinda disappointed a guild leader would say this. Virtually everyone will be dragging down everyone else during the introductory phase, by definition. I would hate to think a member of our guild would not want to join a raid because of fear of ruining it for everyone else. On the same token, we can't be carried by Seda, Steve Olson, StarMie, Soph, etc for the rest of time. They'll all die one day and we'll have to carry on for ourselves.

Quenk

The first boss should be doable with exotic armor if you have ascended trinkets/weapons. It might be doable with full exotics but the players will have to be very skilled at the fight and with their profession. The extra dps from ascended is extremely useful as we work out strategies and compositions.

Retro

That was incredibly generous of you, and I went ahead and activated the PVP Reward Buff upgrade.

We're now Guild level 25! Be sure to swing by the Tavern before you hit the mists and pick up your 5% PVP Reward buff, folks!

Hey, that was pretty good...

.... almost too good...

/glances suspiciously at Home Cloning Kit.

[Dramatic chord]

I'm kinda disappointed a guild leader would say this. Virtually everyone will be dragging down everyone else during the introductory phase, by definition. I would hate to think a member of our guild would not want to join a raid because of fear of ruining it for everyone else. On the same token, we can't be carried by Seda, Steve Olson, StarMie, Soph, etc for the rest of time. They'll all die one day and we'll have to carry on for ourselves.

I think it's just the opposite, offering to wait and not to take up a spot when someone else may really want to go. Maybe that's just me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm actually almost sure I agree with the point you're making even if I don't totally understand what it is. Per the bold, it doesn't really appear to make sense to me in the context of what I was referring to, namely that I don't have Ascended armor. :p

I don't have a fear of ruining the raid experience for anyone else so much as an understanding of why some people do have full ascended gear while I don't. I won't begrudge groups at all for wanting every possible edge in their squads during the phase where it's difficult for groups just to beat the encounters at all. :)

Quenk

I'm actually almost sure I agree with the point you're making even if I don't totally understand what it is. Per the bold, it doesn't really appear to make sense to me in the context of what I was referring to, namely that I don't have Ascended armor. :p

I don't have a fear of ruining the raid experience for anyone else so much as an understanding of why some people do have full ascended gear while I don't. I won't begrudge groups at all for wanting every possible edge in their squads during the phase where it's difficult for groups just to beat the encounters at all. :)

I highly doubt that everyone attempting raids in our guild is running with full ascended, optimal runes/sigils/food/etc. Maybe if groups are consistently hitting the enrage timer and the only thing holding them back is dps would full ascended actually be a requirement. Every little edge helps but you shouldn't feel like you're holding a group back.

Fishious

Hey, that was pretty good...

.... almost too good...

/glances suspiciously at Home Cloning Kit.

[Dramatic chord]

There's Retro and then there's Retro. I'm not cracking puns at every opportunity so there's no need for you to worry.

...yet.

The problem GAF raid groups are going to be running into is finding enough people with the -right builds- to fill every role in the raid, exotic or ascended either way. Vale Guardian (only the first boss) needs a tank, needs healing support, needs berserker level direct DPS, and needs sinister/viper level condi DPS. It needs everyone running the best weapons, skills, and traits for the job, and it needs people who know what they are supposed to do and are very good at doing it. All 10 people need to be running the best builds, and anything less is leaving very small amounts of wiggle room for others to pick up the slack.

We've always prided ourselves for not being strict about how we approach stuff like this, but people need to take some personal responsibility if they intend to succeed with something at this difficulty level.

spiritfox

Well it all comes down to what the raid groups are willing to accept. People who are willing to be more relaxed about equipment should party up with similar minded people, and vice versa.

Whether you can succeed though is another matter altogether.

That's what I was about to say, this doesn't have to be difficult, just make sure you go in with a like minded group. There's certainly a place for groups that simply want to learn the mechanics and get practice in and don't expect to get past a boss on the first run. All that's needed in that group is patience. Meanwhile the highly spec'd and skilled can pull together a group with the skills and stats composition they desire for a serious and concerted run.

Proven

Finally decided to say, "fuck it, my pet build isn't working right now. let me try Reaper for a sec..."

After a snafu for one match where I forgot to include condi-clear utilities, I found that the next match was so easy I kinda lost the will to play...

Zeroth

That's what I was about to say, this doesn't have to be difficult, just make sure you go in with a like minded group. There's certainly a place for groups that simply want to learn the mechanics and get practice in and don't expect to get past a boss on the first run. All that's needed in that group is patience. Meanwhile the highly spec'd and skilled can pull together a group with the skills and stats composition they desire for a serious and concerted run.

Only one of those groups will succeed though. The enrage timer exists to make sure you will do a minimum damage threshold or your team will wipe. It's not possible to just "play your own way" through raids as such, which was Ike's point. If you wish to succeed at any point, you will need to make commitments, because everyone will.

Only one of those groups will succeed though. The enrage timer exists to make sure you will do a minimum damage threshold or your team will wipe. It's not possible to just "play your own way" through raids as such, which was Ike's point. If you wish to succeed at any point, you will need to make commitments, because everyone will.

The groups I illustrated have different goals. The first would be aiming to learn the mechanics while the second would be the group optimizing with the intention of taking down the bosses. Knowing what you're doing reduces error and limits panic and just knowing how the mechanics work in general are the first obstacle. Not everyone is expecting to beat the bosses their first time in the Raid. It would also give you sense of how your build holds up and what you need to tweak. The people that feel that way could form a group and those that want to seriously push to clear will form another. I've already seen people post online that they've spent hours and hours getting their ass kicked but are loving it because it's fun to play. There's a place for people just wanting to try it out and get their bearing, you just don't want them mixing with those that are really trying to beat it so no one gets frustrated. Forming a group with like minded people is key.

Stealth Edit: I don't mean to say the first group wouldn't want to seriously try to beat it but rather, they are primarily concerned with experiencing and learning the encounter and won't get frustrated if they lose.

spiritfox

Even if they don't adhere to the meta, a good player will switch up tactics if they're doing isn't working. Eventually the 2 two groups wouldn't look that different, but how they got there is how both sides want to play.

Anyway I need to finish my condi engi set.

Even if they don't adhere to the meta, a good player will switch up tactics if they're doing isn't working. Eventually the 2 two groups wouldn't look that different, but how they got there is how both sides want to play.

Anyway I need to finish my condi engi set.

Yeah, it seems the greatest asset is knowing all the tools of your profession and switching up when needed. The difficulty people will face is gear, since that cannot be so easily switched without cost.

Zeroth

The groups I illustrated have different goals. The first would be aiming to learn the mechanics while the second would be the group optimizing with the intention of taking down the bosses. Knowing what you're doing reduces error and limits panic and just knowing how the mechanics work in general are the first obstacle. Not everyone is expecting to beat the bosses their first time in the Raid. It would also give you sense of how your build holds up and what you need to tweak. The people that feel that way could form a group and those that want to seriously push to clear will form another. I've already seen people post online that they've spent hours and hours getting their ass kicked but are loving it because it's fun to play. There's a place for people just wanting to try it out and get their bearing, you just don't want them mixing with those that are really trying to beat it so no one gets frustrated. Forming a group with like minded people is key.

Stealth Edit: I don't mean to say the first group wouldn't want to seriously try to beat it but rather, they are primarily concerned with experiencing and learning the encounter and won't get frustrated if they lose.

But both groups will do what you're saying? I feel like people are misunderstanding Ike's post. He is not talking about meta pugs who use meta builds and when they fail blame it on that and ragequit. He's talking about how raids require one to be geared properly and that it requires commitment from people to change not only their playstyle but their roles and gear to match the needs of their team. This team will go into a raid and will fail and learn as much as "those who go in to practice", but at one point you will need the gear geared toward your needs, and this is where the line that Ike is talking about will be drawn.

Raids have a pretty vicious gear check (speaking of the second boss here, in case people actually manage to beat Vale Guardian with common builds), and it's the ability to adapt to that will define if you'll win or not. You will never succeed at a full raid with a team on celestial gear.

spiritfox

I guess I'm reading his post wrong. Yes, players will need to realise they have to have a good build and gear if they want to succeed. Raids are supposed to challenging content that requires you to maximise the potential of your class and role. If you don't want to do that then I don't think the content is for you.

But both groups will do what you're saying? I feel like people are misunderstanding Ike's post. He is not talking about meta pugs who use meta builds and when they fail blame it on that and ragequit. He's talking about how raids require one to be geared properly and that it requires commitment from people to change not only their playstyle but their roles and gear to match the needs of their team. This team will go into a raid and will fail and learn as much as "those who go in to practice", but at one point you will need the gear geared toward your needs, and this is where the line that Ike is talking about will be drawn.

Raids have a pretty vicious gear check (speaking of the second boss here, in case people actually manage to beat Vale Guardian with common builds), and it's the ability to adapt to that will define if you'll win or not. You will never succeed at a full raid with a team on celestial gear.

Oh I understand that, I'm just saying people can go in for the experience and learn that themselves, they just have to make sure everyone's on the same page so someone properly geared doesn't get frustrated by those with all exotics.

From what I've read online, the second boss is where the line is really drawn. Many seem to think Zerker, Viper and Sinister are the only stats that will cut it. I have ascended weapons and trinkets that are zerker but planned on going Valkyrie with the armor as a Herald can afford to drop Precision if you trait to compensate. After reading some impressions, I wonder if it's still the way to go so I'm obtaining all the resources to make the entire set of armor at once to buy myself time on choosing an insignia. I figure there's plenty to be learned on how to approach the second encounter in the coming week or two so I should have the info I need to make the decision. I'm close to making the armor, just pesky Dark Matter getting in the way since I can't buy it straight up ;P

Retro

New Build in 10 Minutes
Bug Fixes:
  • Playing in unranked PvP matches will no longer progress Guardian achievements when not playing as a Guardian
  • Druid: Astral Force is no longer gained when healing a target that is already at full health
  • Fixed a bug in which Scholar Mossi could give incorrect progress in 2nd tier legendary collections.
  • Fixed a bug with Ogden not offering the correct conversation options for players on Astralaria I: The Device and Hope IV: The Catalyst.
  • Fixed a bug with Protector of All not being awarded to players on Nevermore I: Ravenswood Branch after completing Northern Assault, Southern Assault, or Central assault events in Dragon’s Stand.
  • Fixed a bug that caused Mystic Forge Stones to not be account bound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom