• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based Ike. I was going to be mad if I missed Golem after waiting an hour for it (was clearing zone while I waited and doing story missions there) and that's to the 32 bit, made it just in time. I'll just play this until bed and download the patches on 64bit while I sleep. 2KB download speed? no thanks

Started tier 4 Ruby today, ended with one point in tier 3. Feels bad man. I literally played the same ESL premade four times in a row. Apparently the leaderboards are recording games again and I'm number five on it lol. I think it's a mistake don't see the point in having leagues and that leaderboard.

Found a 3-man premade (on my team) in my first ranked game last night, they asked me to join the rest of their matches for the day and then we steamrolled everyone. :> Most of the friends I've made in this game (outside of the guild) have been from PvP

Thorgal

Found a 3-man premade (on my team) in my first ranked game last night, they asked me to join the rest of their matches for the day and then we steamrolled everyone. :> Most of the friends I've made in this game (outside of the guild) have been from PvP
Can I also meet your new friends?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Can anybody invite me to the GAF Guild? I'm LiQuid.1278

I just started playing this a couple days ago. I don't have even the slightest clue what anybody in this thread is talking about but I've been having fun OCD exploring all the points of interest in the newbie zones.

Callunah

Neo Member
Can anybody invite me to the GAF Guild? I'm LiQuid.1278

I just started playing this a couple days ago. I don't have even the slightest clue what anybody in this thread is talking about but I've been having fun OCD exploring all the points of interest in the newbie zones.

Gotcha. Welcome to GAF! =)

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Thanks guys.

Dumb noob question: is there a smart way to be spending my hero points? I've unlocked all of the utility skills and a lot of them seem only marginally useful except for the one that gives me movement speed. Also I can summon a sword and some dogs to fight with me, so I guess that's alright.

I've got all these specializations to put points in now and it's kind of overwhelming trying to read all this stuff to see what's worth putting points into. Seems like a lot of minor passive type stuff.

Oh I'm a defender I think? The knighty looking class.

Thanks guys.

Dumb noob question: is there a smart way to be spending my hero points? I've unlocked all of the utility skills and a lot of them seem only marginally useful except for the one that gives me movement speed. Also I can summon a sword and some dogs to fight with me, so I guess that's alright.

I've got all these specializations to put points in now and it's kind of overwhelming trying to read all this stuff to see what's worth putting points into. Seems like a lot of minor passive type stuff.

Oh I'm a defender I think? The knighty looking class.

You probably mean guardian? Use all your hero points on everything available, you'll have more than enough at lvl 80. Don't be scared of spending them on the wrong thing, you can have it all eventually :) If you're not sure what build to use, some of the guard mains here can offer some advice or you can check out a meta build here: http://metabattle.com/ By no means do you HAVE to play the meta, but if you're unsure of what works it's a decent place to start. For open world PvE any of the "Dungeon" builds will work with some minor changes (most will take movement utilities to make traversing the world easier, etc). Switch it up for what works for you.

Personally, I'm a fan of meditations for most pve content. Using monks focus trait (valor line), your meditations both heal you and give you and your allies fury (higher critical chance) along with the usual effects they give.

Valor also has the smiters boon trait, which combines nicely with monks focus since it sets off smite condition (a meditation) when you use a heal skill. So your heal skill gives more health, removes a condition, hurts nearby enemies, and gives fury.

Dead

well not really...yet
Fully unlocked Chronomancer last night, and omg it's amazing. Perfectly timing that F5 is so satisfying :D

Taffer

The wiki says that the raid merchant sells ascended backpieces with Viper's & Sinisters prefixes as options once you kill Sabetha! [verification requested]
40 less toughness!
At last!
After Sabetha!

My wife and I are sorry

Ranked PVP fates made our paths cross

ohajKsB.jpg

Incoming Mesmer nerfs

Spyware

Every time there's a new post in here I jump in and hope for something that will make me go "oh yeah, I wanna play!"... But it's raids, PvP and HoT and... I just don't like any of it. Wintersday soon and I don't even feel like playing that :( HoT have apparently killed my love for the game :/

Proven

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3w8d83/common_mistakes_made_by_ranked_pvp_soloqers/

Here are some good tips for people who are just trying out PvP due to the leagues. I see too often people just running away after capping and not holding a point, letting the other team get a free cap.

Oh, I saw that on reddit yesterday. I endorse this message.

Especially the last point. You want your build to either have good sustain, or good burst. Go Bunker/Bruiser, or go DPS. It's fine if you're learning a build, but if even after learning a build you find yourself not doing all that well then it may be time to trade up. I'm about to retire my Condi Dragonhunter build because it just can't win 1v1s often enough (although that may just be me being better at team fights).

Every time there's a new post in here I jump in and hope for something that will make me go "oh yeah, I wanna play!"... But it's raids, PvP and HoT and... I just don't like any of it. Wintersday soon and I don't even feel like playing that :( HoT have apparently killed my love for the game :/

A lot of people feel this way it seems :< I miss seeing you and all the others around. Wintersday looks like it's the exact same this year except there's now a way to convert useless socks into karma... and a new shoulderpiece, I guess, but ehhhhhh.

I have no idea what they should do to make it better

Retro

You can quite comfortably place me in the "I have no reason to log in" camp, I really have to force myself to log in for the daily reward and guild hall / home instance nodes and anything beyond that isn't happening. With today's preview of Wintersday, looks like there won't be any reason to log in until 2016 either.

I've never had an expansion torpedo my interest like this, usually there's something to hang onto but with HoT it's just been... nothing but misfires. I have to say, my faith in ArenaNet to deliver is pretty much shaken.

You can quite comfortably place me in the "I have no reason to log in" camp, I really have to force myself to log in for the daily reward and guild hall / home instance nodes and anything beyond that isn't happening. With today's preview of Wintersday, looks like there won't be any reason to log in until 2016 either.

I've never had an expansion torpedo my interest like this, usually there's something to hang onto but with HoT it's just been... nothing but misfires. I have to say, my faith in ArenaNet to deliver is pretty much shaken.

You really know that ANet done goofed if Retro doesn't want to log in anymore. :(

Well I'll be taking a break as well, though mostly for finals. I can only hope fractals are not terrible once those are done, along with a host of stuff that really needs changing.

leng jai

You're my hero.

LiQuid!

If I'm a noob and I just jump into PVP without knowing what I'm doing am I going to run someone else's time?

j-wood

What's the verdict on this gaf? I loved guild war 2 but just got burnt out. I beat all the campaign and reached 80, but missed most of the living world stuff

As much as I gripe about league pvp on gchat, I admit it has made me a technically better pvp player. I didn't realize this until today, when I had 3 pips on a tier and 550 points away from the next pvp level. I didn't feel like losing a pip on the last match of the night, so I went back to unranked arena. It's night and day. The lack of situational awareness. I had to convince my team to go 1-4-0 to points and not push far. The other team kept feeding our home one by one. The other team not having a mesmer or ele. The relative lack of CC's at mid was...stunning.

Contrast that with ranked pvp where only 5 builds are seen match after match after match after match: Tempest Ele, Chronomancer bunker, Reaper, Shiro Herald, and DH. Sometimes I see a Druid or Scrapper. Very rarely I see thieves. I haven't seen any warriors in at least my last 20 ranked matches.

As someone who enjoyed the harder raid content of WoW and loves to PvP, GW2 might be better for me now more than it has ever before. I was never into dungeons or fractals (I only ever ran dungeons purely to farm tokens for certain skins I wanted), but I love Raids because of the precision they require.

For me, raids are just one feature away from being ideal for me: A better group finder / LFG tool. The LFG tool as it stands now isn't good enough for Raids.

Ranked PvP is great for me right now, except for balance being currently skewed (I can forgive this a bit due to HoT being a recent release, but Bunker Mesmers are a bit hilariously broken at the moment) and MMR manipulation being rampant at higher ranks. The easy solution seems to be to disallow a Ranked Group from queuing if there are any members with more than a 2 Division discrepancy. No Amber (Division 1) should be allowed to play group with a Ruby (Division 4) for a ranked match, or no Emerald (Division 2) should be allowed to group with a Diamond (Division 5), etc. It might mean terribly high queues at Diamond/Legendary, but it's necessary for the greater good.

I even love the idea of the Legendary Collections (minus the Ley-Line Spark gathering, which should be boosted), though I don't see Lump using any of the currently released new Legendaries at the moment, so I won't be working toward them quite yet. If they release something shiny and golden and compatible with Mesmers, though, I'm going full-steam ahead.

Scribing is probably HoT's biggest misfire, I would say - it needs a complete overhaul, but I'd settle for massive price reductions for at least all the <300 recipes. I don't mind professions being expensive when at the endgame, but getting there shouldn't equal the cost of entire legendary weapons. All basic, simple, and mid-tier furniture should be way way cheaper.

The Megaserver system also needs evolving for the way HoT meta events are now - working the LFG tool shouldn't be necessary to get into a good map every time you zone to VB or DS. Use a district dropdown menu (like town maps had in GW1) if necessary - at least that would be better than the current LFG system.

LiQuid!

Alright, what in the hellllll sword was this guy swinging....

hDd0pKX.png

It's literally made out of outer space... and when he swung it, it was like he was cutting thru my graphics. I don't think I've ever seen anything this mental in an MMO before. I imagine he has either played a lot of Guild Wars 2 or has emptied his wallet on the cash shop.

Related: is there a way to inspect someone else's gear in this game?

leng jai

Alright, what in the hellllll sword was this guy swinging....

hDd0pKX.png

It's literally made out of outer space... and when he swung it, it was like he was cutting thru my graphics. I don't think I've ever seen anything this mental in an MMO before. I imagine he has either played a lot of Guild Wars 2 or has emptied his wallet on the cash shop.

Related: is there a way to inspect someone else's gear in this game?

Pretty much every second person has either Twilight or Sunrise these days.

leng jai

Good hopefully it won't be so hard to get one. I just started playing this like two days ago.

It will take you a few months to a year since it's a Legendary and you just started playing. Most people who have played since launch or 2013 have at least one by now. It's around 2800 - 3000 gold on TP to give you an idea of how long it will take, or you can wiki the weapons themselves to see what's required for crafting.

LiQuid!

It will take you a few months to a year since it's a Legendary and you just started playing. Most people who have played since launch or 2013 have at least one by now. It's around 2800 - 3000 gold on TP to give you an idea of how long it will take, or you can wiki the weapons themselves to see what's required for crafting.

Alright. I've got 2... I think, 2 gold. I'm getting closer.

Thorgal

s twilight legendary greatsword .

here's mine along with a friend who had it's counterpart Sunrise .

( sorry about the weird lines in the pic , my sweetfx went a bit haywire when i took it .

gw2-642015-12-1210-17bss31.jpg

Do note that getting any of the legendary weapons require a lot of effort , time and patience .

t is not something i would recommend you start thinking about when you just start playing . considder it a long term goal .

if you are still curious , this is what you need to make one :

E84qP45.png

just a note : you don't have to buy obsidian shards with laurels as you can easely buy them once you reach orr and do the temple events there .

EDIT : ok so it is Eternity which is what you get when you combine both sunrise and twilight into the forge but the only difference is the glowing jewel added on top and that the sword changes its look depending on time of day .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom