• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

Just got to Sapphire in leagues mostly through soloing. It was really frustrating at times due to all the problems leagues as atm. Helseth had a great video about the problems with leagues, however it got taken down. I’m hoping Anet is listening and the next season is an improvement over this one.
I feel like I should mention that it was taken down by Helseth himself. He even deleted the initial thread.

Second thread after he took down the video, featuring Intigo: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3v7jp1/i_deleted_my_rant_video_lets_see_if_we_can_start/

spiritfox

Hah, there's a post in the subreddit from a psychologist, telling them to chill out. I just find that absurdly hilarious.

BTW superior sigil of malice recipe from pact supply vendors today. Pick it up for your condi builds.

leng jai

Hah, there's a post in the subreddit from a psychologist, telling them to chill out. I just find that absurdly hilarious.

BTW superior sigil of malice recipe from pact supply vendors today. Pick it up for your condi builds.

Can somebody direct him/her to this thread.

Congrats, guys. I'd love to hear what the Rev's build is. Armor and runes, especially. I've been trying to find material on Rev's in raids but there isn't much to go through yet.

Thorgal

It's quite funny, hearing people scream bloody murder about the visual skill nerf,after complaining for 3years the visual overload of skills meant you could see jack squat on what is happening on screen.

Quenk

Congrats, guys. I'd love to hear what the Rev's build is. Armor and runes, especially. I've been trying to find material on Rev's in raids but there isn't much to go through yet.

That was Techwolf. All I know is that he was DPS. DPS Rev seems to be pretty popular in raids.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
How's your dad?

Good, thanks :) Doing much better and back at work!

I'm late on this but heres a pic from yesterdays jumping puzzle.

9FWd25n.png

But more importantly, Woo we beat the Vale Guardian!

I'm working on getting a video together.

Heres a picture though.

umRNCst.png

Why are all of you not wearing shirts?? Also congrats!!

That was Techwolf. All I know is that he was DPS. DPS Rev seems to be pretty popular in raids.

Yeah Revs are top tier DPS- Power based so I know I'm doing that but I'm curious if he did Zerker or if he went with Marauder or considered Valk and also what runes he used. I'm also assuming he used the Meta build with S/A and Hammer but wanted to confirm that. Maybe he'll get on here later :) I think the main thing that's nagging me is that I've been leaning towards Valk and I believe the Invocation allows you to do it without sacrificing any DPS from lacking Precision but I never see people using it when builds get discussed online. It's always Zerker or Marauder. It's making me paranoid I'm looking at things wrong but I suspect it's just the typical Zerker or bust mindset. That HP boost is nice if Invocation takes care of precision. Especially since it makes me slightly tanky without the toughness factor triggering with bosses.

How long is the raid on avarage? Like WoW where you were bound for 4+ hours?

It took us 2.5 hours of trying last night before we finally beat the first boss of 3. (And many ~3 hour sessions over many days in the last two weeks.) If everything went perfectly the first time though it would've taken <10min.

There are 3 bosses in this first wing, but there's a mastery for being able to skip between them - so you can do one boss one day and then come back another day and work on the next ones. No 4h+ time commitment if you don't want to do them all at once.

Wow I didn't know there was a mastery that allowed you to skip them, that's pretty cool. I assumed that it just saved your progress by checkpoint and as long as the leader that takes the group into the instance has the checkpoint, you'll all start there but then it resets each week. Granted, I thought this because it's how Destiny works and I knew there's a weekly reset for rewards in this game.

Zeroth

Yeah Revs are top tier DPS- Power based so I know I'm doing that but I'm curious if he did Zerker or if he went with Marauder or considered Valk and also what runes he used. I'm also assuming he used the Meta build with S/A and Hammer but wanted to confirm that. Maybe he'll get on here later :) I think the main thing that's nagging me is that I've been leaning towards Valk and I believe the Invocation allows you to do it without sacrificing any DPS from lacking Precision but I never see people using it when builds get discussed online. It's always Zerker or Marauder. It's making me paranoid I'm looking at things wrong but I suspect it's just the typical Zerker or bust mindset. That HP boost is nice if Invocation takes care of precision. Especially since it makes me slightly tanky without the toughness factor triggering with bosses.

Top tier DPS is full berserker. You cant sustain 100% crit chance without precision banner + spotter, and even in raids that is not a sure thing due to 5 people limit to them, hence no build recommends valkyrie since 100% is not a sure thing. Even in the context of a raid, you may not have these boons and they may cost you DPS. Meta build for raids is sword/axe + staff for CC.

Proven

I'll be on tonight. Was on this morning but had to sign out for work. Dumb work, all you do is pay me for a job well done.

Tech-Wolf

Sorry for the late reply, I generally don't post much, I was currently what seem to be the standard rev zerk meta.

For armor I was full exotic zerker with rune of hoelbrak because it is a budget version rune of strength and it has the somewhat useful less condi time on you for pve. Note that there no condi applied in raid For the Vale guardian fight, so the condi part of the rune is useless.

For trinklet, they were all ascended zerker with no infusion

For weapon. I was using ascended zerker sword and axe. my sigil were force and air. Honestly I didn't needed an other set although staff should be it in case of needing more CC but............................. I was using hammer which I never used. In case of, my hammer was ascended zerker with force and flame sigil.

for traits,
Devastation 2-3-3
Invocation 3-1-1 (honestly I dunno much about this trait line I was just toying around and left it like that)
Herald 2-2-1

-about rotation and tactic-
This might change depending on your team composition. I was using mallyx and glint for legend. In all the fight I camped glint and share the f2 skill +50% boon time and fury boon. by share I mean activate it and never trigger their follow up. I didn't use the might boon because Ike was already a PS giving 25 might already so it was pointless to add more (already that some of my trait would grant might). You should spam facet of element whenever you can to add additional damage (this is the hard part of dps herald job, yep...). Now you're job consist of auto attacking all day everyday till the boss is dead. So focus on positioning which should be standing on the side or back at all time of the vale guardian for more damage thanks to traits. Finally, enjoy all yours 8k 8k 9k 1k 8k 8k 9k 1k 8k 8k ......etc. damage spam.

The only time where I swapped legend to mallyx was at the split where you need boon strip. since I was positioned at the blue guardian, I helped removing his boon along apple. Since the way we did consist of dragging the green guardian to blue, and the fact blue guardian will die before green, I swapped back to glint after blue death.

For the CC break phase, since now we focused on breaking it whenever we could I discovered that I didn't need to swap weapon. When Vale Guardian does the disco phase one, use glint elite. The cooldown of it is the same cooldown till the next disco phase so... it is a great way knowing when it will be the next one, this is without alicrity. If more CC was needed I would simply use axe 5 (pretty much never happened in those disco phase when everything went well). For CC at split I used again axe 5 it isn't the best one but most often more wasn't needed.

Seriously, Herald Dps in raid is the most brain dead difficulty. Just stand in range and let the auto do all the job because it does it really well.

Levyne said:
Techwolf will be capped off and bored again in about a day.
The sad part is I just did some random stuff this morning and I'm already capped again at 163. :/

I didn't use the might boon because Ike was already a PS giving 25 might already so it was pointless to add more (already that some of my trait would grant might).

I was casting Signet of Inspiration a lot too. It was traited to cast every time I summoned a phantasm and I casted it manually whenever it was off cooldown so I was sharing boons twice every 30s. We had might up the wazoo

disco phase

lol

Top tier DPS is full berserker. You cant sustain 100% crit chance without precision banner + spotter, and even in raids that is not a sure thing due to 5 people limit to them, hence no build recommends valkyrie since 100% is not a sure thing. Even in the context of a raid, you may not have these boons and they may cost you DPS. Meta build for raids is sword/axe + staff for CC.

I just meant that a Power build Herald is in the top tier for DPS, I should have clarified. I have zerker weapons and trinkets, it was just the armor I was thinking of making Valk and I've seen people recommend mixing in Valk and Marauders with zerker but no one full blown going Valk. I guess it's just a matter of feeling they'll hit max and waste some prec they don't need with a party if they go full zerk but it must be as you said where you can't hit max if you go full Valk unless you thought I meant weapons and trinkets too? Could you clarify on that? Could I hit close enough to max if I have Valk armor with superior runes of strength and full zerker weapons and trinkets?

Oh, is there a Raid meta finally? I checked recently and there wasn't one, people said just do the same as dungeon which used hammer. I love hammer on Rev and ain't giving that up! Although thanks to HoT I have an exotic staff at least if I had to do CC for specific bosses but Hammer 5 is a solid CC and I have axe 5 and shiro elite for more. Glint elite is another CC but would rather not use that.

Full Ascended Berserker gear on a Revenant only gives you around a 90% critical hit chance with Fury. There's not really any room or any reason to mix in defensive stats if your intention is to play a DPS role in Raids. You need Banner of Discipline AND Spotter before you go over the cap on critical hits, which isn't going to happen too often.

You need to run Scholar Runes in Raids too. Strength Runes are for PS Berserker. You should never have to worry about being the primary source of Might for your group. Be the best Herald/Revenant you can be and don't worry about being a poor man's Warrior.

Anyone else have this problem? My mouse cursor doesn't show up in game for some reason, and restarting doesn't help. Not sure what could be causing this.

Build and strat
Ok, that's pretty in line with normal Herald meta except using Mallyx but I figured I'd do green guardian so I wouldn't have to worry about boon stripping. I like milking Impossible Odds for the energy burn as part of the circuit although I need more practice using it because enemies in roaming just don't warrant a proper Herald cycle. In roaming I can just camp in Glint and crush enemies with my might and fury. I don't have the traits memorized but I imagine yours are setup similarly to mine since you're using the usual trio. I have force on my sword and just got an air the other night but put it on my hammer instead of axe for now. I plan on paring force with air on the hammer. Fire was a good idea since it's an aoe weapon but I decided on air because I don't generally need hammer for mobs, just particularly strong bosses/champs I don't want to stay near when running around the jungle solo. As for axe, does it apply the sigil no matter what? Or only when you attack with the axe? So if I put air on it, could I trigger the effect with sword attacks or only axe? If it applies to sword attacks too then air would be a no brainer otherwise I'd just do force I suppose. Or I could do air anyway since 4 does nice damage so an extra spike would be great.

Since I run around solo so much I haven't really messed with f2 much unless I'm doing the full rotation but if I didn't have to provide might I could use this instead which of course would be great for team play. I was curious to see what other builds were coming in on raids to determine what I'd have to concern myself with for support so nice to hear your account. It was great reading your strategy too, haven't seen much from a Rev perspective so I appreciate your write up.
Full Ascended Berserker gear on a Revenant only gives you around a 90% critical hit chance with Fury. There's not really any room or any reason to mix in defensive stats if your intention is to play a DPS role in Raids. You need Banner of Discipline AND Spotter before you go over the cap on critical hits, which isn't going to happen too often.

You need to run Scholar Runes in Raids too. Strength Runes are for PS Berserker. You should never have to worry about being the primary source of Might for your group. Be the best Herald/Revenant you can be and don't worry about being a poor man's Warrior.

I wasn't sure what classes I could depend on almost always being part of the Raid team but I figured I could count on the banner but I'm not familiar with spotter. If that's a rarity and you don't think I could count on that typically, looks like I won't have much choice. Bummer, I really like the HP I have with my current exotic Valk set and I did Zerker with my Ele and Mes so I was going to do something slightly different with Rev but if I want to be DPS which is Rev's strength, might as well go all the way. I'm very close to creating a full set of ascended armor at once, just need 8 more globs of dark matter although I'll have to buy a bunch of crystalline dust. I appreciate you responding, I've been going nuts trying to decide if I should go zerker or would be ok with Valk and that's the main reason I decided to just wait until I could create the whole set at once.

Ehh how realistic is it to stay above 90 percent health in the Raid? I doubt I'd get that use out of Scholar but I could get a guaranteed 5% boost from strength since there will always be might on me. I figure I count count on others providing might if I don't know what my team will be so best to be able to provide that role too. My ferocity will already be really high between traits and zerker gear.

Zeroth

If you are in a raid, you are better off using full berserker. The amount of HP a valkyrie set gives is negligible compared to the potential DPS loss. And sincerely, if you are running into too many situations in a raid where the extra 2k HP saved you. you need to rethink how you are approaching it.

For open world PvE, sure, feel free to use marauder or valkyrie. But you will sacrifice damage and give a very small health boost.

Also, you will sit above 90% HP for most of the raid if you have a good healer and if you are mindful of damage, so Scholar is fine. Strength is inferior to Scholar if you are doing DPS, and its Might boost is not significant enough to justify it.

If you are in a raid, you are better off using full berserker. The amount of HP a valkyrie set gives is negligible compared to the potential DPS loss. And sincerely, if you are running into too many situations in a raid where the extra 2k HP saved you. you need to rethink how you are approaching it.

For open world PvE, sure, feel free to use marauder or valkyrie. But you will sacrifice damage and give a very small health boost.

Also, you will sit above 90% HP for most of the raid if you have a good healer and if you are mindful of damage, so Scholar is fine. Strength is inferior to Scholar if you are doing DPS, and its Might boost is not significant enough to justify it.

I haven't tried the Raid yet so it's not me struggling, just trying to prepare myself for it. I feel stupid for not calculating the HP difference though, is it really just 2K difference? That would be negligible as you said and an easy decision to go all in on Zerk.

Really? I guess I'm really overestimating the Raid's difficulty then. I admit I play solo or with another DPS friend a lot so I'm not used to the benefits of having a full team which would allow for a dedicated healer. I never bothered playing the high level Fractals though so my concern is that my lack of high end difficulty experience will prevent me from staying at 90% ha I mean, if it's so easy for everyone to keep high health then why are people failing at all outside of those that don't have enough dps for the enrage timers? I guess I'm just paranoid I won't be good enough to maintain that health ratio haha Probably from reading too many impressions on the official forums.

Quenk

Really? I guess I'm really overestimating the Raid's difficulty then. I admit I play solo or with another DPS friend a lot so I'm not used to the benefits of having a full team which would allow for a dedicated healer. I never bothered playing the high level Fractals though so my concern is that my lack of high end difficulty experience will prevent me from staying at 90% ha I mean, if it's so easy for everyone to keep high health then why are people failing at all outside of those that don't have enough dps for the enrage timers? I guess I'm just paranoid I won't be good enough to maintain that health ratio haha Probably from reading too many impressions on the official forums.

Zeroth also said mindful of damage. You still need to know how to avoid damage from positioning and dodge at the right time.

The raid bosses aren't straightforward fights. Not having the dps to kill before the enrage timer is just one way people can die. There are various mechanics involved and not keeping up with them will easily wipe the squad.

Maintaining the ratio comes with practice. Also, you don't need to keep it up 100% of the time for it to be more effective than other rune choices.

Zeroth also said mindful of damage. You still need to know how to avoid damage from positioning and dodge at the right time.

The raid bosses aren't straightforward fights. Not having the dps to kill before the enrage timer is just one way people can die. There are various mechanics involved and not keeping up with them will easily wipe the squad.

Maintaining the ratio comes with practice. Also, you don't need to keep it up 100% of the time for it to be more effective than other rune choices.

I figured that much but I assumed it'd be too difficult to maintain 90 or higher even with solid play. Well I know the guys that are replying are good and have played plenty of high end content, especially Ike so I'll take the advice. All in on Zerker and Scholar runes. If I struggle at first I'll just have to get gud.

Holy shite! I just looked up how much they cost in game and a whole 10G cheaper per rune than Strength! Wooo!

Zeroth

Everything comes with practice. Don't be afraid to run sets that you feel are riskier if you are up to the challenge. It's better to fail and then get better than simply set yourself below the difficulties that can make you go forward.

Everything comes with practice. Don't be afraid to run sets that you feel are riskier if you are up to the challenge. It's better to fail and then get better than simply set yourself below the difficulties that can make you go forward.

Oh yeah, I'm too stubborn to quit and am always up for a challenge, I've only worried myself because it's a team of 10 and I don't want to be a burden but practice will make me better and watching videos of the encounters will help limit mistakes too. I just need to do the damn thing so I quit putting it on a pedestal and have an idea of what it's really like and what to improve and work towards.

Thanks for all the discussion guys, it feels good to know exactly what to make now and not go back and forth in my mind :)

Last call! I'm matching up names tomorrow.
&#9733; Wintersday Events &#9733;
&#9734; SECRET SANTA - SATURDAY, DECEMBER 19 &#9734;

Deadline to join: December 4, 2015 11:59pm EST
Gift exchange: December 19, 2015 after missions (~10:30 PM EST)
Gift value MAXIMUM: 250 gems / 45 gold

We're doing another Secret Santa this year! If you'd like to participate, please contact appletoasty with your Guild Wars 2 account name (accountname.#####) via NeoGAF PM, in game (appletoasty.7062), or otherwise by midnight EST on Friday, December 4, 2015. The following day you will receive an in-game mail to find out who your recipient is and you will have two weeks to prepare an in-game gift for them valued at most 250 gems or its equivalent in gold (about 45g at the time of this post).

After missions on Saturday, December 19, 2015 we will gather in the guild hall and mail our gifts to each other. If you're not able to attend missions that day for any reason, you may send your gift in advance.

Would someone mind inviting my Norn Elementalist to the guild? His name is Brjuntinaar. Do I need to be online to get the invite?

Also...I feel like I am pretty bad at this game. Is there somewhere I can go for pointers on how to play the class efficiently as I am leveling up? I read a guide on Dulfy about the elementalist, and it explained some of the interactions with area might. I've been trying to use those as I quest now, but I'm dying insanely quickly to some enemies. Veteran enemies, especially those that are a couple levels above me, wreck my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom