• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

leng jai

It only felt chaotic because you didn't understand how the game works. Doesn't need a trinity. Designed around not needing one. Though if you really want to be forced into roles, there is a raid now that mostly requires people to follow a script in both playstyle and builds.

Nah, everyone loves a broken record. They have charm.

A broken record like your cyber bullying mate?

Pro

Which weapon would you choose out of Zojja's Weapon Chest? I have Ele, War, Mes, Thief, Eng. Already have Ascended Staff and Greatsword.

What's wrong with it, it's still Christmas Eve.

vjU0ovY.jpg
It is not loading for me.

Shiokazu

xmas everyone.

have a good one, dont get too drunk/high/ , dont eat more than you should, dont open the gifts before 25th morning, and remember to ge cool with everybody.

have a fantastic new year both in tyria and IRL.

and dont forget about me! im M.I.A because im recharging my bateries, if i press up too much i might end burned up.

Retro

Merry Christmas, folks. I'm getting intermittent Mumble outages, probably getting hit by the same script kiddies that are trying to DDOS PSN and XBLive and all that today.

Is the last instance of HoT still borked all to hell?

Who can tell anymore? It worked perfectly for me a couple weeks after launch when everyone was having trouble, they've released a ton of hotfixes since but it's still a crap shoot. They haven't communicated stuff like that getting fixed very well at all.

Won

Looks like I hit a wall with the Tyria masteries. I'm out of points and looking over the achievements/wiki most points out there fall into "I'm never gonna be that bored" category of things I have no intention of doing. Oh, boy. :/

Has anyone gone for the Legendary Backpack? While I'm fairly casual, I like having some long-term objectives (just finished doing Mawdrey). I was wondering if it's doable for someone who might no be playing all too frequently. Also, does it require something specific (100 Fractal Level I'd imagine for example)?

Has anyone gone for the Legendary Backpack? While I'm fairly casual, I like having some long-term objectives (just finished doing Mawdrey). I was wondering if it's doable for someone who might no be playing all too frequently. Also, does it require something specific (100 Fractal Level I'd imagine for example)?

The ascended precursor, Unbound, is available and fairly simple to craft if you're looking for a goal to work towards.

The actual legendary, Ad Infinitum, is not yet available. The Gifts required for crafting it are not yet accessible in-game.

nan0

Kind of lost what I should do now, a bit burnt out on the game. Map-completed all HoT maps, got most of the non-grinding achievements. Don't care for ranked PVP or WvW. I sure as hell won't grind for any crafted legendaries. Doing FotM casually is alright I guess. I'd like to try Spirit Vale, but I don't really have the time to learn the bosses (as Druid/Support) nor have I the proper Ascended armor for that. I'm currently only logging in for the Dailies and the higher-level world bosses if the time is right.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
A few of the guys that I had try this game out (instead of their normal FF14) are starting to abandon ship even tho they're only level 15-20 and I'm not sure what to do. They say renown hearts are boring.. I'm like guys, you don't need to do them like you're playing a regular fetch quest MMO, but then they say there's no other content... Another guy says he likes the leveling via exploring but thinks the combat is weak... I don't know how you can consider the combat in this game weak compared to global cooldown, fifty hotbar, auto attack MMOs like WoW and Final Fantasy. Kind of at a loss on how else to defend this.

Retro

With the holiday and all, will there be any officer or leader on to activate tonight gm?

I think Hawkian planned to be on, but I don't have any plans so I'll jump on if needs be.

A few of the guys that I had try this game out (instead of their normal FF14) are starting to abandon ship even tho they're only level 15-20 and I'm not sure what to do. They say renown hearts are boring.. I'm like guys, you don't need to do them like you're playing a regular fetch quest MMO, but then they say there's no other content... Another guy says he likes the leveling via exploring but thinks the combat is weak... I don't know how you can consider the combat in this game weak compared to global cooldown, fifty hotbar, auto attack MMOs like WoW and Final Fantasy. Kind of at a loss on how else to defend this.

I'm not wading into a GW2 vs. FFXIV debate, but get new friends, cuz... damn.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Yeah sorry I didn't mean to start one. Just a little disheartened that they gave up so early

Yeah sorry I didn't mean to start one. Just a little disheartened that they gave up so early

Well they're not wrong about renown hearts, I always liked exploring and the visuals of the maps, but hearts do little for me, and they don't really encourage me to do events either. Also, a lot of the more interesting aspects of combat don't come up during the leveling phase. Maybe convince them to play till dungeons unlock? Or to try another profession.

Raxor

Neo Member

Sadly alot of the good part of gw2 combat. Alot of the earlier renown hearts lost some of the differing options. Although as much as I love FF14 the early combat isn't much better. Another thing is gw2 fails to teach the nuances to the combat such as combo fields and combo finishers to gain buffs and debuff enemies. It also doesn't help that the early combat that is available is brain dead easy and has very few skills and utilities unlocked.

So yes the combat in gw2 is weak same with other MMOs because there is so much that makes it fun locked out to new players.

One more thing, i wouldn't call WoW and FF14 auto attack MMOs since the usage of the actual auto attack is very limited while in GW2 the revenant's main source of damage is the 1, which is basically an auto attack.

Well, it's normal for a lot of people to misunderstand GW2. - Just as people misunderstood GW1.
The games do things differently so when people don't appreciate GW2 for what it is, well, then it can't succeed, right?

With that being said- those goddamn renowned hearts confuse the hell out of a lot of new players and keeps them from really understanding the game. The hearts was put in to cather to WoW-Crowds who needed fedex quests, but hearts seem to do harm to the game.
Because I hear the stories daily from people who hated GW2 when they first played it because they didn't get it, but then gave it a chance later and that it then made it click. I've talked to at least 50-100 people who have told me that exact line. Many people who have played it don't fully understand the scaling, the way dynamic events work or misunderstand the concepts. the combat in GW2 is great. Its a really tight system that bridges between the spammy and the tradition tab targeting MMOs of old. I really appreciate the hell out of it in a time when a lot of action MMOs remove to much of the tactical elements.

Hearts are completely unimportant uninteresting. They are to be ignored. the game is to be explored blindly, see, discover, push the envelope and push forward. the game is amazing when you realise what astounding amount of random content there is there. Really fun scaleable content.
But many gamers are stuck in their ways. They did it a certain way in a certain game and then everything else is wrong.
FFXIV is a great game. I have nothing bad to say about it. But its a different school of game. GW2 cannot compare if its a themepark game you want, but it simply isn't what GW2 is about.

My advice to you is not to let your taste be dictated by what your friends play. Find a good guild to play with, make a habit of putting nice people on your friends list. the mega server system puts you in the same map as them so its a good idea to have tons of cool people on your friends list.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
One more thing, i wouldn't call WoW and FF14 auto attack MMOs since the usage of the actual auto attack is very limited while in GW2 the revenant's main source of damage is the 1, which is basically an auto attack.
With what weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom