• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gotten all the way to pvp level 66 before anyone whispered anything like this to me...I guess I should consider myself lucky. The outburst kind of came out of left field so I couldn't help but to screencap it and share with you all, heh:
Ja2iTiB.jpg

Lren

If someone could send me an invite to the GAF guild, that would be awesome: Lren.8670
Given the amount of time I've spent lurking in the threads, figure I may as well contribute some where I can!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Tried PVP for the first time (the 5v5) and it was kind of embarrassing. I shouldn't have tried it with my elementalist. I don't even know what 3/4 of his spells do. Gonna try again with my guardian to see if I don't poop all over my team before I hang up my hat for good.

spiritfox

Tried PVP for the first time (the 5v5) and it was kind of embarrassing. I shouldn't have tried it with my elementalist. I don't even know what 3/4 of his spells do. Gonna try again with my guardian to see if I don't poop all over my team before I hang up my hat for good.

Don't worry about losing in unranked. I would suggest you look at metabattle and see what are the popular builds. It'll help you make your own build and understand what your enemies are running.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'm not sure builds are going to help me. I'm beyond inept. It didn't help that a lot of the elementalist's spells are ground targeted. I was just awful at everything. Queuing as guardian now. Let's do this!

edit: in my losses the scores were 44-502 and 14-501. Help. LOL

LiQuid!

Guardian game was a loss too, but not as bad and I was in 2nd place on the scoreboard, whatever that means. I think I'm losing track of where my team is on the map. I feel like I've always got homies around but then shit gets real and I'm 1v5 like a dipshit.

Do people smurf in this? I feel like the other team seems way more savage than my team all 3 games so far...

edit: been playing on an off for a couple of hours. Won 2 games total! I'm so bad! This is really fun tho holy crap. My only MMO PVP experience in my entire life was like 3 matches in WoW back in 2005 and all I did was get pooped on.

I'm using a Hammer/Mace+Torch build right now with symbols spec, and I'm not so sure it's any good. I like the control moves from the hammer a LOT, but I'm not sure the AOE/Symbol damage spec is paying off too much. Anybody got any tips for a good noob friendly Guardian build? I checked metabattle and it seems like a lot of the popular builds are Dragonhunter and I don't have the expansion yet. Maybe I should just go get that.

Spyware

Anybody got any tips for a good noob friendly Guardian build? I checked metabattle and it seems like a lot of the popular builds are Dragonhunter and I don't have the expansion yet. Maybe I should just go get that.
Nah. I play a Staff/Hammer Shouty Healer those few times I dare try a PvP match or two. I must be the most annoying player to meet because I just waste the enemy's time. I can't kill them because the damage I deal is really bad... but they really can't kill me either! I heal and heal and heal, and so on. So they have to get their friends to capture my points for example, meaning less people for my team to fight in other places. I'm also a buff machine fof when I'm with team members. This is probably not that effective but it's a very simple build that I'm comfortable playing.

Thorgal

I've gotten all the way to pvp level 66 before anyone whispered anything like this to me...I guess I should consider myself lucky. The outburst kind of came out of left field so I couldn't help but to screencap it and share with you all, heh:

Is it weird i draw some perverse joy from getting these kind of messages ?

Not only did i completely beat your ass , but now your gonna be salty about it ? LOL.

It reminds me of my glorydays wrecking people in Dark souls .

If Chat allowed for youtube links to be posted i would post this back in return : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAlTOfl9F2w

The ascended precursor, Unbound, is available and fairly simple to craft if you're looking for a goal to work towards.

The actual legendary, Ad Infinitum, is not yet available. The Gifts required for crafting it are not yet accessible in-game.
Thanks for the answer :D I'll work towards that then, hopefully the legendary itself will be doable for me when it's added.

It's finished. I did go no life mode to finally finish it. I started the season around 30 games on my Rev, I now have over 400. It was fun though, a lot of ups and downs, but overall it was a fun time. I made some friends that I pvped with for most of Diamond; so good things come from everything. Actually now that I look at it, it's 366 games with 199 wins. So I had a 54% win/loss ratio and most of the game were solo; Diamond is where I pretty much partied up all the time.

Proven

I hear complaints about the GW2 league system and then read about how other systems people compare it too actually were referenced: http://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthe...ro_league_system_is_a_huge_mistake_or_how_to/

Exploiting the system is another issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same was possible in Heroes of the Storm. It's just that climbing to rank 1 is easy enough for most semi-competitive players anyway.

It's finished. I did go no life mode to finally finish it. I started the season around 30 games on my Rev, I now have over 400. It was fun though, a lot of ups and downs, but overall it was a fun time. I made some friends that I pvped with for most of Diamond; so good things come from everything. Actually now that I look at it, it's 366 games with 199 wins. So I had a 54% win/loss ratio and most of the game were solo; Diamond is where I pretty much partied up all the time.
Super awesome. Congrats man.

I've been taking a break from GW2 for the holidays. I'll see how fast I can climb before the season ends starting mid January.

Super awesome. Congrats man.

I've been taking a break from GW2 for the holidays. I'll see how fast I can climb before the season ends starting mid January.

Honestly, I think January is probably the best time to start. The initial rush is over and the divisions will have balanced out more; so I think this will lead to better games overall. I mean we are only halfway through this season, still a lot of time left for things to develop. I mainly went through it fast because I have a lot of time off due to the winter break, so I wanted to get it over with while I have the free time to do so. I was looking at the Primordial Legend title and it’s pretty insane, at first I thought it was bugged, but it is not. You have to hit Legendary for six different seasons, so it’s definitely a long term achievement, like Champion Brawler.

Remfin

Sorry guys, but GW2 combat is really weak...especially at levels before 60. Especially since they rebalanced the newbie period and you have squat for buttons to hit/options to choose until then.

Even though FF14 doesn't start off particularly strong in that regard either (the first dungeons are so...blah due to lack of options), you have a combo by level 4 and you can clearly see your future abilities and how they make up further combos.

Sorry guys, but GW2 combat is really weak...especially at levels before 60. Especially since they rebalanced the newbie period and you have squat for buttons to hit/options to choose until then.

Even though FF14 doesn't start off particularly strong in that regard either (the first dungeons are so...blah due to lack of options), you have a combo by level 4 and you can clearly see your future abilities and how they make up further combos.

I love the combat. Particularly since the action camera was implemented. I enjoy the mix of positioning and dodging and razor tight strafing, mixed with being able to hot target. Something I miss in some of the newer action MMOs. Particularly those that have rooting:(
Also, the balancing changes you talk about; the skills are unlocked gradually and quite fast- You have unlocked 9 skills on your bar by lvl 19 which takes a few hours, followed by the remaining elite skill at lvl 31. It's not a big deal. You can read more about it here since you sound a bit confused; https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skill

It's not really that comparable to FFXIV... GW2 reminds me more of Dark Souls (particularly in HoT where telegraphic dodging and avoiding enemy attacks is essential to not instadie) , where FFXIV reminds me more of classic MMO combat. They are quite different.

Retro

Folks are taking the joke the wrong way; we were playfully blaming everything that goes wrong (and not just in the game) on E-sports since that seems to be what the forums / Reddit actually believe is happening.

Sheesh.

Remfin

I love the combat. Particularly since the action camera was implemented. I enjoy the mix of positioning and dodging and razor tight strafing, mixed with being able to hot target. Something I miss in some of the newer action MMOs. Particularly those that have rooting:(
Also, the balancing changes you talk about; the skills are unlocked gradually and quite fast- You have unlocked 9 skills on your bar by lvl 19 which takes a few hours, followed by the remaining elite skill at lvl 31. It's not a big deal. You can read more about it here since you sound a bit confused; https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skill

It's not really that comparable to FFXIV... GW2 reminds me more of Dark Souls (particularly in HoT where telegraphic dodging and avoiding enemy attacks is essential to not instadie) , where FFXIV reminds me more of classic MMO combat. They are quite different.
I'm not confused, I just did it recently. It just feels more constrained than it use to (except for that awkward period when you tried a new weapon and had only 1 skill in the old system). Strafe and dodge doesn't mean squat until much later in the game, or you're trying to solo group content at low levels.

I was mentioning FF14 because I was responding to the conversation about a person's friends and how they preferred FF14 instead :p I know they're nothing alike, I play both. But at least superficially GW2 combat is just kind of blah at low levels, with no obvious idea when it will improve. It's especially shitty if you put your points in the wrong skills and now you're stuck.

5il3nc3r

I still haven't bought HoT. Don't know if i ever will but just wondering about Season 3, will it be available for everyone or only those who own HoT?

I still haven't bought HoT. Don't know if i ever will but just wondering about Season 3, will it be available for everyone or only those who own HoT?

I really don't think they'd restrict their story to the Core Tyria maps just for the people who don't want to buy their game, so yeah, probably only HoT owners

Next Monday ANET needs to post the looking ahead at 2016 article because the negativity is at an all time high and I believe it is mostly justified.

Should not wait till after Wintersday.

Mxrz

People that want to be angry will be angry, doesn't really matter what ANet says they're going to do in the future. Trying to momentairly appease the angry types at the expense of The Plan is a terrible idea, and one I sort of wonder if they haven't given in to with some past stuff. MMO players are fickle to a fault and tend to bounce from one extreme to another. All that aside, eager to see what they do in 2016.

I do wish they would consider expanding the amount of alpha testers. There's a lot of simple little annoyances in HoT that feel like they could've been spotted and fixed in playtesting.

People that want to be angry will be angry, doesn't really matter what ANet says they're going to do in the future. Trying to momentairly appease the angry types at the expense of The Plan is a terrible idea, and one I sort of wonder if they haven't given in to with some past stuff. MMO players are fickle to a fault and tend to bounce from one extreme to another. All that aside, eager to see what they do in 2016.

I do wish they would consider expanding the amount of alpha testers. There's a lot of simple little annoyances in HoT that feel like they could've been spotted and fixed in playtesting.
They gave into the crybabies when they backed away from the "we will not have expansions" line during the eurogamer interview.

Living Worls is what they need to focus the whole company on, not just small groups.

This is what I was afraid of. I have fairly high MMR, so I was always use to +10 minute que. However, Legendary has made the problem worse. All I want to do is play three ranked games for my ascension, but now I pretty much have to wait until certain people are online. The que went to two hours before it automatically abandoned itself.

arimanius

Haven't played this game years but thinking of trying it again. How's the world vs world? Still a large community playing it? Is class balance any better? I had an engineer and mesmer back when I played. Engineer was pretty weak back then.

I'm amazed you actually bothered to wait that long. Should have partied with an Amber or something.

If I could just que outside the Mists I wouldn't care really. It would be nice to work on my masteries and other things while I'm in que.

Haven't played this game years but thinking of trying it again. How's the world vs world? Still a large community playing it? Is class balance any better? I had an engineer and mesmer back when I played. Engineer was pretty weak back then.

Game still has a large and heathy community; however WvW is kind of going through a rough patch atm, but there are rumors of a major overhaul happening to it. Class balance is a bit iffy since HoT released a new class and specialization for the older classes. Balance isn't horrible, but it definitely needs some improvements. Engi is extremely strong at the moment because of Scrapper.

arimanius

Game still has a large and heathy community; however WvW is kind of going through a rough patch atm, but there are rumors of a major overhaul happening to it. Class balance is a bit iffy since HoT released a new class and specialization for the older classes. Balance isn't horrible, but it definitely needs some improvements. Engi is extremely strong at the moment because of Scrapper.

That's disappointing that WvW is in a rough patch. It was the closest thing to DAoC that I have found. Some of the new specialization sounds interesting. Thanks for the info.

Retro

This is the first year I didn't ask for/ get a gem card as a gift. I dunno what merchandise is out there except the overpriced quaggan plushes (which look kinda cheaply made, like... a carnival prize).

This is the first year I didn't ask for/ get a gem card as a gift. I dunno what merchandise is out there except the overpriced, poor-quality quaggan plushes.

The iam8bit store had blouses and shirts, but a lot were sold out. I didn't get anything GW2 related either.

Mxrz

Hearts and Mind remains buggy as fuck. I've done it on five characters, and haven't seen it not Glitch The Fuck Out in some way or another. Usually in the NPCs getting hung up on terrain or rifts not working. Just now the asshole mentor became active again after the rift wouldn't pop, but kept the complete damage immunity. I don't think I've ever completed this mission and not been pissed off after.

I'd rather fight Zhatian. It might be dull, but at least it works.

Spyware

This is the first year I didn't ask for/ get a gem card as a gift. I dunno what merchandise is out there except the overpriced quaggan plushes (which look kinda cheaply made, like... a carnival prize).
Same. Cresc didn't want anything either. Brother asked for gems but I didn't bother hunting for a card (they're hard to find here nowadays). Don't like any of the current merch. The Charr plush is great (and I have that one) but I really don't like the quaggan ones. Don't like the apparel either. Meh.

I'd love some gems for hairstyle kits. Getting some Asura manga hair!

I'm not confused, I just did it recently. It just feels more constrained than it use to (except for that awkward period when you tried a new weapon and had only 1 skill in the old system). Strafe and dodge doesn't mean squat until much later in the game, or you're trying to solo group content at low levels.

I was mentioning FF14 because I was responding to the conversation about a person's friends and how they preferred FF14 instead :p I know they're nothing alike, I play both. But at least superficially GW2 combat is just kind of blah at low levels, with no obvious idea when it will improve. It's especially shitty if you put your points in the wrong skills and now you're stuck.

They made it easier at the earlier levels. I assume they had data to prove they were losing players who were put off by the complexity. It's something like 70% of people who try WoW quit before lvl 10 because they are not used to those kind of games.
You're right that there is not a need to dodge because the early content is very very easy, however, as I said, at lvl 19 you have all your skills (almost) and you get the points incredible fast.
What I like about the new levelling experience is that each level rewards you with item, bags, crafting materials, dyes and other goodies. It's a nice incentive. Combined with the beef up story rewards- I really like it!
IMO difficulty in the game is another issue than the combat system itself. Try the action combat if you haven't. It's superb!

That's disappointing that WvW is in a rough patch. It was the closest thing to DAoC that I have found. Some of the new specialization sounds interesting. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, it's a real shame but to be frank WvW has been in a not so good state since the game came out. As you said, it's greatest strength is how amazingly ambitious it is. The thing is that they need to effectively rework the entire concept to make people want to protect and hang out in their own captured keeps.
What made DAOC special was that it was a landmark news when a faction captured a difficult or hard to get castle. It was server outcry. It could take months for a faction to either push through.

One has to remember that the developers of DAOC also sort of killed their own game with the Atlantis expansion. I think a lot of people would still be playing if it wasn't for that.

You might want to take a pass at ESO- MMORPG.com named it the best MMO this year, the most improved MMO this year and cites that the content packs it got are amazing.
ESO supposedly has really good RvR similar to DAOC and GW2, but if its better than GW2 I cannot say.
I've never played ESO but would like to try it. I hated Oblivion but liked Skyrim so I am not the biggest elder scrolls fan or fan of the universe.

So, do we all agree on what's the best game and/or expansion of this year? That is, the Action Camera. I'm still trying to understand how I played so long without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom