• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

Just got done getting pissed off by the Fire Elemental Boss. Now, login doesn't work for me. God dammit. I needed to force myself to take a break anyway.

J0dy77

This game is just oozing so much awesome! Loving the exploring right now, personal storyline and I haven't even touched PvP or WvW.

KingKong

Event bosses are so awesome. They almost feel like raid bosses with how many people are fighting at once

Wish they gave better rewards though, a champion bull in Queensdale gave a 5 slot bag and a crappy gun

Ferrio

Banned
Event bosses are so awesome. They almost feel like raid bosses with how many people are fighting at once

Wish they gave better rewards though, a champion bull in Queensdale gave a 5 slot bag and a crappy gun

Ya, just killed a giant in Diessa. Took a huge group like 15-20 minutes. He had an aoe that'd one hit everyone... you had to dodge at the right time or you were SOL.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Anybody know if they've acknowledged that the game doesn't run so great and are working on continuing to improve performance?

It's improved in leaps and bounds since beta, and they intend to improve it further.

alphaNoid

Banned
This game is just oozing so much awesome! Loving the exploring right now, personal storyline and I haven't even touched PvP or WvW.

Same, but to be honest.. it was kind of unintuitive to figure out. I was following the main story basically following quest markers and I got to a point there it was recommended level 11 and I was 6. I was getting OWNED time and time again ... not fun. So I had to sit back and think.. wtf do I do to level? Then I saw the all the viewpoints, the help quests, skill quests on each map and I thought .. "huh, I'll just explore I guess."

I've leveled many times since, so I think thats what I'm supposed to do? How else do you level up between the main story quests?

Haven't touched PvP or WvW .. I just want to do PvE for a long while.

Ya, just killed a giant in Diessa. Took a huge group like 15-20 minutes. He had an aoe that'd one hit everyone... you had to dodge at the right time or you were SOL.
Yeah, did this last night. I started out fighting this guy alone and it was a bitch. By the time he was dead, a dozen people had joined in the fight.
I've leveled many times since, so I think thats what I'm supposed to do? How else do you level up between the main story quests?
Dynamic events and crafting stuff gets you good XP.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It blows my mind that people are having trouble leveling, haha. I'm currently level 19 and I'm still on my sixth Charr story mission.

There's XP everywhere!

Varna

It blows my mind that people are having trouble leveling, haha. I'm currently level 19 and I'm still on my sixth Charr story mission.

There's XP everywhere!

I think people are just so use to the WoW model. I never actually played WoW, but I did play DCUO and SWTOR and the way to progress in those games is so obvious it's insulting. It just makes everything feel so pointless. Why do anything when the game is just going to funnel you down the right path and make sure you are always well equipped and at the appropriate level for everything?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I wish Necromancer pets weren't so squishy. They die like every fight and need a long time to resummon. I don't even use any of my minions anymore. Shame, because that's kinda the point of the class.
I really just treat them as meat shields. I use the blood fiend and the ranged one. Monsters seem to always aggro them first, so I can usually set off some aoes and come out pretty much at full health against 3 monsters at a time by the time my 2 minions die.

I really just treat them as meat shields. I use the blood fiend and the ranged one. Monsters seem to always aggro them first, so I can usually set off some aoes and come out pretty much at full health against 3 monsters at a time by the time my 2 minions die.
This. Minions are intended to be sacrificed and abused to their fullest extent.

Stuart444

I'm level 21 and the next story mission for me is 24 in Kessex Hills.

Tomorrow I plan on exploring Kessex Hills and 100% it before doing the next mission. (So far, I have 100% Caledon Forest, Queensdale, LA, Grove and DR)

and if that doesn't get me to a level I need, I might craft some more or something.

I'm finding GW2 really hard to put down though >_<

How do I get rid of a discipline? I can't seem to pick two for my Sylari Necromancer. I have a choice of Tailor, Artificer and Jeweler.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Guild invites seem to be working for me. Got invited to a friends guild. Still need to get invited to the GAF guild though.:3

Dysun

I never looked forward to this game but I got it because my friends were playing it and I have to say that I really like it. It's been alot of fun thus far. 22 Nord Warrior

KingKong

How do I get rid of a discipline? I can't seem to pick two for my Sylari Necromancer. I have a choice of Tailor, Artificer and Jeweler.

Go to the trainer for what you want and they'll ask you which discipline you want to switch out

also I'm finding leveling to be pretty easy too. I'm almost level 13 at about 6 hours played without any WvW and minimal crafting and I haven't 100%ed any zones yet

Pick up another disciple like normal, you get a dialogue to remove one of your old ones. Btw, tailor and artificer are probably your best bets.
EDIT: Ninja got Ninja'd
Have they ever said why they aren't selling this on steam? It's a total bummer.
Steam would take a cut of the money from the Gem store. The Steam UI still works with GW2 though.
Do you guys just salvage all the items you find or do you try to sell them to players/NPC?
I salvage almost everything I get my hands on, including old equipment I replace with new stuff. Sometimes I'll keep greens, though.
Got my keys from GMG just now. Downloading the game. Go to login and "no account permissions" :( Guess i'm waiting until tomorrow like all the other peons.
3.5 hours to go.

Shambles

Got my keys from GMG just now. Downloading the game. Go to login and "no account permissions" :( Guess i'm waiting until tomorrow like all the other peons.

vaelic

Banned
2 tips:

• hold down CTRL to see interactables all on the screen
  • alt left click on mini-map to set a personal waypoint

thanks to hyomin seo

J0dy77

Same, but to be honest.. it was kind of unintuitive to figure out. I was following the main story basically following quest markers and I got to a point there it was recommended level 11 and I was 6. I was getting OWNED time and time again ... not fun. So I had to sit back and think.. wtf do I do to level? Then I saw the all the viewpoints, the help quests, skill quests on each map and I thought .. "huh, I'll just explore I guess."

Haven't touched PvP or WvW .. I just want to do PvE for a long while.

This is the exact same thing that happened to me and I'm sure a lot of others. I was doing the typical MMO grind, sticking to an area killing mobs. Big Mistake! The game is completely designed around exploring the entire map, helping out the "heart guys" in the area, gathering and doing events. Ever since I've stuck to that play style I haven't had any issues with the zone getting ahead of me. Game doesn't feel like a grind at all.

Plus I just found the DW - Sword / Axe combo on my Warrior. Mmmmmm whirlwind.

This is the exact same thing that happened to me and I'm sure a lot of others. I was doing the typical MMO grind, sticking to an area killing mobs. Big Mistake! The game is completely designed around exploring the entire map, helping out the "heart guys" in the area, gathering and doing events. Ever since I've stuck to that play style I haven't had any issues with the zone getting ahead of me. Game doesn't feel like a grind at all.

I kind of figured people were doing this. I find myself leveling rather quickly, while other people complain about it slowing down - turns out, what made me a slow leveler in other MMOs (wandering aimlessly, essentially) made me level pretty quickly in this game.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Anyone else just running around lower level areas of other races and finishing them up before moving on to were you're 'supposed' to go? The leveling shifting system works so well.

Off-hand axe will always give you whirlwind. You'd probably like greatsword btw.
I kind of figured people were doing this. I find myself leveling rather quickly, while other people complain about it slowing down - turns out, what made me a slow leveler in other MMOs (wandering aimlessly, essentially) made me level pretty quickly in this game.
Exploration is a big XP source in GW2. Dynamic events help too, and those really scratch my ADD itch. It's like being a bird surrounded by shiny objects, I can't help but go to each new event and/or chain.
This excites me. I've been having tons of fun, so if it gets better from here... fuck yeah!
It does. Game really starts getting interesting around level 20 and shit gets real about level 30 when you get your first elite. By level 70, you should be getting involved in the Orr area, where dynamic events are pretty much constantly occuring.

KingKong

Anyone else just running around lower level areas of other races and finishing them up before moving on to were you're 'supposed' to go? The leveling shifting system works so well.

I tried doing that but it's honestly just not that fun. The low levels don't have any really interesting mobs or events/hearts since they're designed to introduce the players to the game

That's all I've done so far. Ran around in mine and my brothers starting areas last night, then a friend started today who was a different character so I ran around with him in his starting area. So good.

I tried doing that but it's honestly just not that fun. The low levels don't have any really interesting mobs or events/hearts since they're designed to introduce the players to the game

This excites me. I've been having tons of fun, so if it gets better from here... fuck yeah!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yeah, I'm a human, but 100%ed the Charr and Asura starting area as well. Will probably leave the Sylvari and Norn ones for later, as I'm interested in how the higher level human zones look.

WvWvW is loads of fun. Siege weapons seem really powerful. Kinda confused about supply though. How much supply does a dolyak carry and how much supply does a camp hold? Overall though, WvWvW has got me hooked on this game for a while.

Ferny

That's what i've been doing. I'll most likely start doing the higher level norn areas though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
so with actual release coming around...

What classes/weapon combos y'all been enjoying so far?

Digging dual dagger thieves and hammer warriors so far.
Staff elementalist all the way. I've got all weapon skills unlocked, but rarely switch.

Rpgmonkey

Yeah I've been taking my time trying to complete each map I come across and exploring, and I get a lot of experience from it. I almost want to say they throw too much xp at you, but I guess that's why the level scaling is there.

It's getting a little awkward being ahead of some people (and the 30-ish zones are lacking in players right now, can't imagine what's it's like for people who are running around in the 60-80 zones), so I've stopped wandering around and started working on my professions. I still end up getting a lot of xp, but it's at a slower pace so eh.

demented

Guess I'm the weird one, I go for 100% completion, every event I come upon, some more times, gathering, crafting, jumping puzzles, personal story and I still end up being underleveled somehow Oo

I do avoid all fights I dont need for event or anything like that so I might differ that way.

Feep

Banned
How much are server numbers expected to jump come tomorrow? I mean, you'd think most people would be rocking the "early access" thing.

Is anyone playing a male human Ranger with the standard body type? I chose the 3rd body type on my guy (the second buffest body type) and my legs clip through my long coats all the time, its really fucking annoying! I will reroll my guy if it means I can get rid of the clipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom