• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helmholtz

Anyone else have difficulty making money? I can't manage to get the 10 silver needed to buy a training manual. I might be salvaging too much, but I have lots of difficulty getting money. The small amount of silver I have goes away when I craft (buying tin and jute thread). I guess I'll stop crafting temporarily. Yes, I have been doing random events and hearts.

I asked this already in-game, but I was wondering if people had some other tips. I guess it would be easier if the auction house worked.
No trouble here... then again the only money I spend is usually on the occasional waypoint travel, and the training manual like you said. I'm level 21 and have ~60 silver. I just constantly use the sell junk button, and sell any armor or weapons I can't use or don't need. Not sure why you're having so much trouble. You know that the mail that gets sent to you after heart quests has money attached to it, right?

inky

Anyone else have difficulty making money? I can't manage to get the 10 silver needed to buy a training manual. I might be salvaging too much, but I have lots of difficulty getting money. The small amount of silver I have goes away when I craft (buying tin and jute thread). I guess I'll stop crafting temporarily. Yes, I have been doing random events and hearts.

I asked this already in-game, but I was wondering if people had some other tips. I guess it would be easier if the auction house worked.

Like I said in-game I don't think salvaging is a problem. It may look like that (I barely had 11s when I was lvl 13) but once you start doing other stuff you'll get gold. 100%ing zones gives you a lot of coin, so if you really are starving for it try doing that. I have 2 gold now and I buy a ton of tools + salvaging kits all the time. Travel gets pretty expensive too but even then.
I've even bought plans for WvW and gold hasn't been an issue.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Is anyone else finding it difficult to gain exp in WvW?

Im mostly using it to gain some $$$ and karma which worked not too bad.

pTYwH.jpg

:D

Forkball

I find that selling weapons you don't need doesn't really net you a whole lot of money. I typically salvage it, or give it away to friends who play different classes. I wonder how much people will be really willing to pay on the trading post for typical armor and weapon drops. It has to be better than what we're getting now.

Also, where are the really good karma merchants? I have like 3,000 karma and don't know where I can blow it.

KuroNeeko

Can't decide wether I want a Human or a Norn for a Guardian, any advice?

If you're talking females, I have a bit of experience with both Human and Norn. I'd say that image-wise, the Guardian class fits well with both races - though I think the spirituality of the class might fit a bit more with the spirit-focused Norn. In terms of looks, I'd go Norn - with their size and muscle tone they really look the part. Most of the human females look really young, which can be fine if you're making a younger character, but I guess I just found the Norn to be more adultish.

Spoken dialogue will probably go to Humans. I like the Norn VA, but I don't like the lines they give her. My Norn Mesmer, who I chose to be "dignified" in her story arc, let's loose with such lines as "I am SO awesome." She does have some decent lines here and there but they don't mesh as much with the image I have for her.

I have more experience in the Norn starter area, but I like it. The spirit angle along with the arctic setting is nice. You spend some time running around forests, caves, and snowy bluffs. The human setting is a bit more of your typical fantasy setting - reminds me of the areas around Stormwind in WoW. I've heard that it gets better as you move away from the starter area, but I haven't experienced it yet.

Giard

You know that the mail that gets sent to you after heart quests has money attached to it, right?
Yeah, I know.

Like I said in-game I don't think salvaging is a problem. It may look like that (I barely had 11s when I was lvl 13) but once you start doing other stuff you'll get gold. 100%ing zones gives you a lot of coin, so if you really are starving for it try doing that. I have 2 gold now and I buy a ton of tools + salvaging kits all the time. Travel gets pretty expensive too but even then.
I've even bought plans for WvW and gold hasn't been an issue.
I have... 4 silver at level 12. I'll try 100%ing zones, thanks.

I'm by no means rich, but haven't felt broke at any point. Around 12 silver average.

So I just noticed on the Gaf guild board that the roster is up to 401?

This makes me nervous.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Haven't been very active on GAF (haven't really been keeping up with or playing games all that much in the past few months), but I hope to change that with this game. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a copy before/after my school registration later today. A junior is welcome to join the GAF guild, no? :)

Sadly NO ONE can join the guild right now because invites are broken, but you should join us in mumble.

EDIT: nevermind, guild invites are working again! Yay! Look forward to seeing more people in the guild.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I find that selling weapons you don't need doesn't really net you a whole lot of money. I typically salvage it, or give it away to friends who play different classes. I wonder how much people will be really willing to pay on the trading post for typical armor and weapon drops. It has to be better than what we're getting now.

Also, where are the really good karma merchants? I have like 3,000 karma and don't know where I can blow it.

You should be checking every heart after clearing an area. They sell great stuff for that level.

LogicStep

You must be doing something wrong. I'm an Engineer and I've constantly felt damn powerful. As long as I stay engaged and active, I can come out of most situations alive, even ones that go south, like 10 harpies spawning on top of me.

Rifle + Elixirs are your friend, or just use the Flamethrower.
I must be doing something wrong then. If I had that many mobs on me I would be toast. I tried all the combinations of weapons and the one I like the most is the dual pistols since it gives me the most attacks that feel like I'm doing something. Rifle seems like it's just 1 and the other skills for when they get close and have long cooldowns. I haven't really seen much great from elixirs, maybe I'm using them wrong? The one that boosts speed and dmg, one of the first ones, I usually used it as soon as I pulled a mob. Maybe I'm playing wrong.

What part of Kessex Hills are you doing? There is a part that's lvl 16-19. North Eastern area I believe. Also try Pistol Shield combo with turrets and rocket boots or mines. I like the shield which has a reflect and a shock block skill.
That is the area that I'm playing in. I'll try using a shield but last time I did I didn't really understand how to use the skills effectively.

We are only up to 254 in the game. We had about 3 days of issues though. Looks like it's getting fixed.
All righty. Sorry to flood you since I know everyone has been. Seeing that 400 when I clicked the logo over on GafGuild, I nearly shat myself. Glad to hear invites working again.

thinking of buying this game, but I have my doubts. I tried WoW, Warhammer, KoToR beta, korean mmo. They didn't capture my attention. I've been following GW2 from time to time, but the day is finally here to pull the trigger or not

Wats a good Noob MMO friendly class should i start with? I might start going solo first, and should I stick with world mission first

okie... after playing around with like all the classes... i think i might stick with elemental.

melee just doesn't feel... idk.

but man, lvling up ele's skills is a pain, especially for water and air :(

Card Boy

Banned
I made a decent looking Nord female. I made her as short as possible.

9vFyj.png

Heres my main.

P5QfA.png

How do i take Super Sampled screenshots? I remember the Beta let us do it.

Windam

Scaley member
Sadly NO ONE can join the guild right now because invites are broken, but you should join us in mumble.

EDIT: nevermind, guild invites are working again! Yay! Look forward to seeing more people in the guild.
Awesome. Should I register on the GAFGuild forums for an invite later?

Nekrono

If you're talking females, I have a bit of experience with both Human and Norn. I'd say that image-wise, the Guardian class fits well with both races - though I think the spirituality of the class might fit a bit more with the spirit-focused Norn. In terms of looks, I'd go Norn - with their size and muscle tone they really look the part. Most of the human females look really young, which can be fine if you're making a younger character, but I guess I just found the Norn to be more adultish.

Spoken dialogue will probably go to Humans. I like the Norn VA, but I don't like the lines they give her. My Norn Mesmer, who I chose to be "dignified" in her story arc, let's loose with such lines as "I am SO awesome." She does have some decent lines here and there but they don't mesh as much with the image I have for her.

I have more experience in the Norn starter area, but I like it. The spirit angle along with the arctic setting is nice. You spend some time running around forests, caves, and snowy bluffs. The human setting is a bit more of your typical fantasy setting - reminds me of the areas around Stormwind in WoW. I've heard that it gets better as you move away from the starter area, but I haven't experienced it yet.

Thanks man, I was actually thinking male and I ended up going Norn, the fact that I have Human Warrior (level 14) made me go with a new race, now I just need to figure out which I want to make my main, I was playing Guardian for a little bit and I'm feeling more drawn to it than my Warrior, but I know Warrior is pretty damn awesome as well.

I hate these decisions lol.

Parakeetman

Awesome. Should I register on the GAFGuild forums for an invite later?

Do it now! and go here :D

http://gafguild.com/index.php?threads/gafguild-sign-up-thread.47/page-6

Btw how much longer till the retail ver goes live? The main GW2 site doesnt have a countdown. Am asking so I can log my buddy's account in while hes away at work and secure him a spot on our server. :D Managed to get a physical copy for him 2 days early, but apparently no code with it so he didnt get early access like the digital versions.

Parakeetman

When you guys say players can't steal your crafting nodes, how exactly does that work?

Its not harvested till you do it, so basically if you see another player harvest a node it doesnt effect you at all.

(razgriz417 gives a better explanation below)

When you guys say players can't steal your crafting nodes, how exactly does that work?

Nodes will show up on everyone's map and will disappear after you've personally gathered, but even if you use it, it'll still be available for others

After 4 days of play, I'm still only lvl 31. Didn't really get into WvW until tonight but man was it amazing, Necros really seem to shine there :) 17 badges of honor in 3 hours isn't too bad for a noob i think haha

Card Boy

Banned

You get your own. If you see someone farming 'your' Copper Ore node, they ain't really taking it. You get your own materials from it. So you can deplete it from your point of view and someone will appear farm something invisible even though they ain't.

Ordered this via newegg during one of those sales, and I opted for the free 3-day shipping. Got an email and a tracking number and it says I should get it tomorrow(release day) and it's only a few miles away already.

Good news for any other newegg buyers :).

KuroNeeko

Thanks man, I was actually thinking male and I ended up going Norn, the fact that I have Human Warrior (level 14) made me go with a new race, now I just need to figure out which I want to make my main, I was playing Guardian for a little bit and I'm feeling more drawn to it than my Warrior, but I know Warrior is pretty damn awesome as well.

I hate these decisions lol.

Cool.

Sounds like you're into the big, brawny types. Hopefully you'll be around to draw everyone's attention so I can run away support you from behind! From what I've been seeing, both classes look fun and the feedback concerning both of them has been pretty good. I'm still going back and forth between Mesmer and Necromancer. I like conditions.

Parakeetman

Chicken thief supreme :D
(not really but just ran around the zone like that opening up all of the charr area cept for the tower thanks to the cattlepault still being a broken ass POS)

KuroNeeko

Any other way to get that first Black Lion Key other than buying it through the Gem Shop? I've heard that chests often contain keys themselves, but curious how you're supposed to get the first one.

Parakeetman

Any other way to get that first Black Lion Key other than buying it through the Gem Shop? I've heard that chests often contain keys themselves, but curious how you're supposed to get the first one.

I read that some quests give keys as a reward. So you will get at least 1 from questing. Which doesnt help my situation considering I have 9 or 10 of those damned things D:

I've gotten 1 as a drop and 2 as rewards for 100%ing a map, but it looks like TP and gem store are going to be your best bet in the long haul

so with actual release coming around...

What classes/weapon combos y'all been enjoying so far?

Digging dual dagger thieves and hammer warriors so far.

Maining a longbow on my ranger switching to sword&torch for burninations. rangers sharpstone + rain of arrows AOE is pretty neat for crowd bleeds

Nah, bank space is too small to horde much. Smart people have been salvaging everything and leveling crafting with the results. Finding Copper and other mats will be hellish in the next few days.

horded a few greens that dropped (the only greens I've seen, not for my class unfortunately), the rest i'm salvaging. need to go craft some more huntsman stuff, chef level is getting up there though. if i remembered to eat what i crafted i probably wouldn't have such a stuffed inventory.

i got one for a story quest.

zon

Yesterday I found a bugged event, it was awesome. :)

As soon as we finished it, the event would start again and it just kept going and going. And just to make it even better, the monsters that it spawned were lvl 28 (this was in a 15-25 area) so I got a ton of stuff for myself and my friends.

Even if the event wouldn't have bugged, it seemed like you could start it again only a minute or two after it was finished. It did stop sometimes and after, roughly, the time I mentioned the NPC that started the event would spawn again.

That might be one of the better places to get the 100k xp without dying achievement, bugged or not I might just stay there until I've gotten it.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone try to change their email address yet? If so, do I need to confirm my old one for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom